“Very nice people”

Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived around check-in time but our room was not ready. The staff at the front desk were very welcoming and friendly. We were shown to room 104B (a one-bedroom suite) but the floors were still wet in the room, apparently as the result of an island-wide power outage. Once we got into our room, we noticed that the ceiling fan in our bedroom did not work properly and both televisions had very bad reception. Maintenance came quickly, tried to fix the fan without success and told us that the cable company needed to determine why there was a problem in this room and two others. Not sure why we were checked into a room with existing, known television problems.

Because of the issues, we were quickly upgraded to room 205 (a two-bedroom suite). This suite was a nice upgrade for us because it allowed my husband and I to have our own bathrooms. The small kitchen in the room was fully equipped with everything we needed (pots, cutlery, plates, etc.) and was great to have. The Super Food was close enough to be visible from our kitchen window so getting food was very easy and the Super Food is a very nice store.

The room had a nice balcony with an ocean view and a partial pool view. The balcony overlooked Mango's restaurant which was only an issue when the dance show was going on because of the loud music but it did end at a reasonable time. There were two lounge chairs on the balcony as well as a small table with four chairs and an umbrella. We enjoyed lunch here most days during our stay.

The room had a dehumidifier which was excellent. It does make some background noise and you have to empty it at least twice a day so it will not automatically shut off, but it was essential to keeping the room cool. I don't remember seeing a dehumidifier in the first room.

The in-room safe location in room 205 was very inconvenient. It is in a closet that is sandwiched between a nightstand and a section of the wall that juts out due to the air conditioning. My husband and I both hit our shoulder on that corner of the wall after bending down to use the safe.

The bathrooms looked very nice and were very clean however they both had those partial glass wall showers. If you can take a normal shower in this type of setup without getting water on the floor then you are a superior human being. I did not enjoy my showers because I was so preoccupied with trying to keep the floor dry. The outside of the master bath in this room is damaged due to others having the same problem, the paint is peeling off near the floor.

The bed in the room was very firm. I thought this would be a problem but we both slept very well. The room also has a drying rack which is very handy for drying swimsuits.

The cleaning staff are friendly and do a great job. The grout in between the floor tiles definitely needs a thorough cleaning, but that is not something the day to day cleaning staff can control as they surely do not have time for that level of cleaning.

The pool at this hotel is nice, but it is small. There is a baby pool also.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and this made a big difference in working through the couple of issues we encountered with our room. We used the concierge to make some reservations and she was very helpful and friendly.

The sewage smell. It was obvious on our arrival and lasted for three solid days. I spoke to the front desk staff and they indicated that this was due to the island-wide power outage on the day we arrived. If you look at maps of this hotel's location, you can see that the waste water treatment plant is very close, maybe a block away. I had read from other reviews that the sewage smell issue was resolved but it was present for the first part of our stay. Was it overwhelming to the point we wanted to check-out? No. Was it obvious and unpleasant? Yes. The smell was even noticeable on the beach. Nothing that the hotel can control.

The beach is an easy walk across the street from the hotel. The beach itself is beautiful. However, this part of Eagle beach is rowdier than the Bucuti end. Not a good beach for taking a peaceful nap or enjoying the sound of the waves from your beach chair. If you get to the beach early, you may have an hour or two before the jet skis arrive for rental. Once this happens, and the boats and jet skis start coming by, the otherwise calm surf gets wavier from boat wake and noisier from the engines. The hotel does clean the beach, however one morning the black bags of trash left between the palapas and the water were not picked up until maybe 10 a.m. Not exactly the view I want from my beach chair.

We did not have a problem getting a palapa and chairs on the beach, however the hotel does not reserve its palapas and chairs for guest only. If someone not staying at the hotel occupies a palapa and no chairs, they do not ask them to move. If someone not staying at the hotel wants to use the chairs, they charge them a fee and tie a yellow band to the now rented chair. I can see during busier times of the year, there could be an issue with hotel guests getting palapas.

Another downside of the beach is that it is right next to the road. There is some traffic noise but the worst thing is that there are tour buses that occasionally park next to the road and drop off busloads of people to this beach. All beaches in Aruba are public so the hotel cannot help this. During one of our beach days a big open air green bus dropped off a large number (30+?) of people and they were absolutely obnoxious. They were loud and drunk and there for the entire afternoon. They played volleyball and I heard every curse word that I am familiar with, yelled repeatedly. These people had no regard for anyone around them, including children.

I mentioned previously that everyone at the hotel was very friendly. There was one exception, one of the beach attendants. A girl had gotten stung by a jellyfish and was really suffering. I approached a beach attendant to see if he could perhaps see if she wanted a doctor called or directions to the hospital, etc. His immediate attitude was non-caring. He asked where it happened and once he heard that it happened in the water he just kept talking about how instances like this are why he doesn't swim. Personally, I didn't care about his swimming issues and they were irrelevant because the girl was out of the water. The girl needed help and that should have been the first priority out of common kindness and courtesy. He meandered over to another attendant who thankfully seemed to be more interested in helping.

Overall, this hotel is good and the people are nice and helpful. Because of the less than quiet beach and the smell I do not think we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank imcatgirl71
AMBRManager, Manager at Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

First of all I want to thank you for the extensive review to help fellow travelers and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us although you encountered some inconveniences.

I understand you stayed at Bucuti before and are comparing the properties which is understandable, but we both offer a different vacation experience. Our beach is quiet (definitely compared to Palm Beach) and over 200 yards wide so enough space to find a good spot, but yes there is a small water sports center at the right side where at Bucuti there isn't. It all depends on what you’re looking for as a guest.

Please also allow me to reply on some of your comments. We feel sorry you received a room with TV problems at first, we just received new televisions (flat screen, 32”, 37” and 42”) this past week and all TV sets are being replaced as we speak. We are also upgrading our cable-network, this will be ready in October, but in the meantime the existing cable does its job.

The comfort of the beds is something personal, we’re glad to hear you slept well although you felt it was firm. Since we upgrade our furnishings on a regular basis, we have new beds arriving in Aruba this week and all will be replaced in the course of this month.

As you said, we’re close to the plant which normally doesn't give any problems with a smell (as you noticed later during your stay). The combination of the power outage and rainfall those days triggered the smell and as bad as we wish we can prevent this we unfortunately can’t. Your other comments are addressed to the persons in charge to see where we can improve.

We do hope to welcome you again one day.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

What can I say Amsterdam Manor works for me .......Great place!
I just spent 10 days at the Manor and its # 5
This is a small resort with one of the greatest beaches in the world...Eagle Beach.
Thank you to all the people who make Amsterdam Manor home when I am on vacation
in Aruba.

Room Tip: Facing beach........Superior rooms... one bedroom or two bedroom.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 10 nights and what can we say, we are hooked. It was our first time in Aruba and after a 10 hour flight we arrived and our room was ready immediately. We had a superior studio, number 105 A. It was sort of facing Mango's, but we had a view of the sunset too so at night we sat on the balcony drinking a drink and watching the sunset.

The concierge is such a nice lady! She helped us to rent a car and was super kind! Everyone who works there is very kind, everyone says hello and has a smile ready, and i think thats so nice. The lady who works in the minimart too, is so nice, and she helped me pick out a shirt. But everyone is nice, the people who attend to the flowers and people who clean. And no i don't have a stock in AMBR, i am just so happy with how our holiday turned out! Aruba truly is a happy island!

We used the car for one day (rented at the concierge) to go around the island and to the lighthouse and baby beach and so forth. The bus stops in front of the hotel so we used that to get around on other days (to go to Oranjestad and Palm Beach). We are both vegans so we made our food ourselves in the kitchenette. The supermarket is a 5 - 10 minute walk and has lots of stuff, Dutch / American / Latin-American. Very nice fruit/vegetables etc. Very pleased!

The beach is merely a 1-2 minute walk. Across the road and there it is! Very handy because you can use the toilet in your room and if you are overheated you can relax there for a while.
The bar on the beach is very cozy and has nice staff. And very nice banana smoothies.

And i want to say that i loved the beds. In The Netherlands (where i am from) we like a firm bed. I slept like an ox. The pillows were a bit soft for my liking, but i brought my own pillow (as i always do) so that was okay.

The only downsides i can think of are: the warmth of the water in the shower, its luke warm at most.
And another downside is that some people put their towel on the chairs on the beach and then don't come for hours. And that you come and you have to sit second row or third row whilst the first rows are all taken by towels. Every beach destination i ever visited had people doing that, so i guess thats normal to do but i am not a person who does something like that because i think its unfair.
And the A/C was very cold, i put it on 24,5 degrees but it was still cold, but i think thats because we don't have a A/C at home so i am not used to the difference between inside and outside. Its just a personal preference.

Additionally it was very clean! The room, and the pool. If you put the 'please clean my room' sign out, the room was cleaned super quickly.

We felt really at home, and because we had a flight home at the end of the evening we were able to store our luggage at the front desk and relax some more at the pool.

We will be back!

Room Tip: A room facing the ocean is very nice and romantic.
4  Thank Kirsten B
Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the moment you walk in to the reception area you feel welcomed. Although our room was not ready upon check-in we were able to change into our bathing suits in the bathroom in the reception area and enjoy and rum punch made by the bellman. We also asked the concierege to make reservations for us at some local restaurants without any problems. After a few hours at the beach we got our stuff from the reception and headed to our room. Our room was on the 1st floor facing the ocean and a 1 minute walk to the beach..couldn't of asked for anything more. The room itself was nice...ac and fan worked well, clean floors and bathroom with double sinks. The shower pressure was just ok. The only downside to the room was the mattress---very firm. Pillows were ok. The location of Amsterdam can't be beat---you less than a 10 minute walk to the grocery store, eagle beach outside your door, good happy hour specials (although the drinks were a weak), and the bus stops right in front of the hotel. Great stay!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very clean and nicely kept. Close to the beach by crossing a small road only aout 50 yrards. beach area was nice and clean with lounge chairs and beach towels provided as well as a beach restaurant and bar. Pool on site was clean and well maintained. Internet was iffy but worked most of the time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pleonard1
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This resort is small by most island standards. Many of the rooms are small apartments with full kitchens and separate bedrooms, which makes bringing family here very nice. Have stayed here several times and enjoyed it every time. The location is at the end of Eagle beach, so it is quieter and there is a bird sanctuary right next door. The bigger resorts are down the road in either direction and are much noisier/ busier. The staff is polite and the administration is good. The pool is small and the dining opportunities here are limited but you can easily walk to many of the other larger hotels/ restaurants. After watching the noise and traffic next door, I was quite happy to be here instead of one of the local timeshare resorts or big chain hotels. The island is lovely, the other beaches are nice, but you will have to rent a car and search them out. Duty free shopping is great downtown and there are a few high-end restaurants worthy of a Michelin rating. You could do far worse than to stay here and I plan on returning next time I come to Aruba.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WizenedTraveler
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a wonderful experience during our short, but relaxing, stay at the Amsterdam Manor. We were actually booked at the MVC Eagle Beach but arrived at the hotel to find that we had been relocated to the MVC's (nicer) sister hotel, the Amsterdam Manor. While we were initially annoyed that we had to move after spending an hour on the runway and waiting in line at the airport with no air conditioning because of an electricity brown out affecting the entire island, all the employees were SO nice and the move was so well coordinated that our frustration disappeared. We were greeted at AM by friendly employees who immediately offered a welcome rum punch. Our room was not yet ready (check-in is at 4) but we changed into beach gear in the very nice lobby restrooms. The hotel is literally the perfect location to enjoy Eagle Beach. You have to walk across a "highway" (which was not what I was expecting for a highway - there are pedestrian crosswalks, which drivers obey!) and you are right on the beach. Passions on the Beach and Mango's are the hotel's bar/restaurant. The drinks at the beach bar were very well priced (all under $7 and 2-for-1 during happy hour 5-6pm) but fairly weak...when we return I will probably pay a bit extra to upgrade to higher quality alcohol. The rooms were wonderful - the air conditioning blasted, impeccably clean, spacious, and the kitchenette (mini fridge, two burners, a micro, pots, pans, dishes, etc.) was a wonderful addition for people who don't want to eat out for every meal. The beds were extremely firm and we were worried we wouldn't be able to sleep,but it surprisingly wasn't an issue. Our only major complaint was the horrible smell of sewage on the beach and at the resort (but not in our room). According to the front desk the smell was related to the brown out and is NOT normal, but it really inhibited our ability to enjoy the outdoor space (and I cannot even imagine enjoying a beautiful dinner on the beach at Passions with that scent!). But it was related to a sewage/trash plant, so entirely out of the hotel's control.

We noticed that during the weekend, the beach was wonderfully empty but on Monday, the cruisers came in and the hotel rented them chairs and palapas. While there were plenty of chairs/palapas over the weekend, they were definitely snatched up on Monday. I would be very unhappy if as a hotel guest I couldn't get lounge chairs on the beach because the hotel sold them to non-hotel guests. Hopefully they don't allow that to happen! We also wish the hotel had a fitness center, but this time it wasn't an issue because we weren't there for too long.

There is a bus stop right outside the hotel and the public transit is extremely easy to get to Palm Beach (5 minutes and $2.30 per person) if you want to enjoy the high rises, shopping, etc. The AM was perfect for us - a low-key hotel, beautiful beach, friendly employees, and relaxation. We would definitely return!

Room Tip: We had a superior room with a queen bed and jacuzzi - perfect for a couple!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort? Share your experiences!