“Great hotel, so-so casino”

Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Great hotel, so-so casino”
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency from May 15 through May 18. We had stayed at the Radisson for our honeymoon in 2000, but thought we'd try something different this time around.

Check-in took a long time, and I'm not sure why. There were three people working at the desk, and we were next in line, but for some reason it took at least ten minutes before someone finished up. Then, they only had rooms with two double beds, although I had asked for a king. So, I was a little concerned that this place was not going to be ideal. However, I felt much better after seeing our room. The renovated rooms are excellent; clean, very calming, very attractive, and we had the oceanview we had asked for. I was concerned that there might be a noise problem b/c we were close to the pool area, but altough we could hear faint strains of music at night, it turned out to not be a problem. As others have commented, the bathroom IS a problem; it's pretty, but I personally like privacy in the bathroom, rather than a window facing the hotel room. Also, there's only one tiny garbage can in the entire room, located in the bathroom--not very useful.

We then went up and down the strip and checked out the grounds and lobbies of the other hotels (Marriott, Holiday Inn, Occidental, Radisson, Westin (the Westin is a little farther)). The only one that we thought was similar in quality to the Hyatt was the Radisson, so we felt pretty good about our choice.

Hotel Food
Overall, the food was quite tasty. We ordered room service a few times. It was always prompt and the food was hot. My husband loved the Caribbean sundae, and I was addicted to the pastechis ("Aruban hot pockets"). We went to one of the Hyatt restaurants, Palms, and while the appetizer and fries were good, I was disappointed by the grilled swordfish sandwich-- I enjoyed my grouper sandwich at Gilligans (a Radisson restaurant) much more.

Other Food
We tried Iguana Joe (downtown, near the Renaissance), and it was fine, but not earth shattering. The best meal we had on the island was at Aqua Grill; gnocchi with prawns, crab fritters, sea bass, salmon, key lime pie, and apple crisp--sooo good!!

Casinos
The Hyatt casino leaves something to be desired. The staff is pretty friendly, and they have a good variety of slot machines, but because the slot machines are not on the ticket system, it's very inconvenient to play slots. If you put in ten dollars for a nickels game and then decide you've changed your mind after playing a nickel, you're now left with a bucket of $9.95 in Hyatt nickels. Also, the hoppers were frequently out of coins, and you had to wait for management to come to your machine for payouts over $50. I much preferred the Renaissance Crystal casino--great atmosphere, and they're on the ticket system.

Overall
It was a nice experience. We might go back to the Hyatt; alternatively, we might give our first love, the Radisson, another try.

• Liked — Rooms were nice
  • Disliked — Casino needs improvement
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BillableBarbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Korean first
NJ
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hyatt w/ our 6 and 7 year old. We chose the Hyatt b/c we heard it was very family friendly, which it is (with one small caveat, read on).

POOL/BEACH: The pool has a fun water slide (kids and adults)! If you have small children, it has a nice zero-entry section. The only negative is the design of the pool is rather choppy, so I found myself constantly circling the pool trying to figure out where my kids were! It is lovely and clean though. The beach is beautiful and calm, the water is roped off so you need not worry about drifting out too far. The Hyatt provides great floats, beach chairs, shady huts.

GROUNDS: Gorgeous. Beautifully kept, waterfalls and birds all over, and the renovated lobby and lobby bar are stunning.

ROOMS: We had a renovated room. It was lovely to look at, but given the money spent on this renovation, it has some real flaws as mentioned in other reviews: a window (?) between the bathroom and room? Why? You turn on the light in the bathroom and light up the whole room. The door to the bathroom is glass -- thus, no hook for your towels. Actually, no hooks anywhere. You can't dry anything on your balcony and you're instructed to use the clothesline in the room -- but there wasn't one. You can't easily drape a towel over the shower curtain b/c it is so high up. So if you are a family of 4 you have LOTS of wet towels and suits around! The one little garbage can was annoying. And, there is no light in the shower. Try shaving your legs with no light and a shower curtain that starts an inch from the ceiling. Not pretty.

We also seemed to be on the circuit for a 2 p.m. room makeup -- despite the fact that we were in our room every day between 1-3 to get some down time from the sun -- and our housekeeper seemed annoyed by this.

FOOD: We liked the Palms for lunch -- great kids menu and great salads. No inexpensive breakfast here though -- walk down the beach path to the Dunkin' Donuts or the coffee bar in the Radisson. Def. try Madam Jeannette's off the property for dinner -- it is great. Casa Tur has good pizza, walking distance. The Hyatt conceirge is very helpful. DEF. recommend the Hyatts beach front dining or cocktails -- we did the sunset cocktails, it was beautiful, the food was yummy, and our waiter was great!

KIDS CLUB: Let me start by saying our kids LOVE going to these programs! We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Amelia Island last year and the BEGGED to go to the Ritz Kids. One reason we chose Hyatt is b/c Camp Hyatt is supposed to be great. We were disappointed. The first night, it took two different people to even tell us how to find the camp. Once we did, no one was there. We finally found the counselor and got our kids settled at 6:20 (the start time was 6 p.m.). The room was just a basic hotel room with not much to do. Apparently the Camp Hyatt actual room is under construction. The counselor, while nice enough, didn't seem excited to be there and didn't seem to have much energy for the kids. Our kids were supposed to be there until 10, but we checked in on them around 8:30 (gut feeling) and found them sitting in front of the TV looking pretty dejected. They wanted to leave immediately and we did. For some reason they agreed to try again the next night, and the SAME thing. The counselor was late. I walked in with them to be sure they had SOMETHING to do and there were no age appropriate games or books. So again, we cut the night short. ON A POSITIVE NOTE -- I have to give the manager of the program kudos -- I found her the next day and told her what happened. We were credited the full amount and she was VERY gracious and professional. But still -- this was Camp Hyatt? If you go expecting to use it, find out if it's back in the original spot, and if it will be staffed by fun, energetic, engaging counselors who are there on time!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank NjSusan
California
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We did not stay at the Hyatt. We go to Aruba every year and are timeshare owners at Marriott Ocean Club. However, every year we eat at Ruis Del Mar in the Hyatt. It's a very romantic restaurant, voted one of the top 25 by Conde Nast. This year, May, 2007, we had dinner there and it was AWFUL. Everything tasted like it had been prepared the day ahead and microwaved! The food was flavorless and COLD. We spent $200 for dinner for two and it was the WORST dining experience I think I have ever had. Needless to say, it's been crossed off the list of places we will ever go again. It wasn't just us. The restaurant was 75% empty, when just a year ago people were waiting in line in hopes that someone with reservations would be a no show. Of the few customers there, they were shaking their heads and commenting on their awful meals as well. Maybe they changed cooks, but with prices like this, customers deserve a hot meal!

• Liked — beautiful surroundings
  • Disliked — awful dining experience
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank SnorkelingRobin
North Carolina
Reviewed May 2, 2007

Aruba is fantastic with superb beaches. If you want to enjoy your stay, do NOT book at the Hyatt. The staff is very mean (indifferent at times). When we arrived with my friends, they gave us a wrong room (not what we requested). They told us to wait by the lobby until they cleaned a new room. That took them 2 hrs.....
The air conditioning unit was not functioning properly; we called them to inform them and they sent someone to check it. He told us he'd come back; he never did.
Also, when I walked into the room one day to get my sunscreen, the MAID was having SEX in our bathroom.

Go figure....

Stayed August 2006
17 Thank cosmic8
Burbs of Boston
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I made the mistake of booking our interconnecting room for my children online and found out I did not get the special children's
rate for adjoining rooms! My friends had checked into La Cabana and hated it so much they moved over to the Hyatt. She told me how much she was paying and when I found out it was so much less I had my husband speak to the manager and we were credited $2k for the week! Definitely CALL!
The lush tropical grounds and wildlife (macaws, whistling parrots, swans, coy) surrounding the pool and classy resturant dining areas make this hotel a botanical oasis amid the dry arid landscape. The newly renovated lobby looks fabulous and the dining was top notch at every restuarant. We've stayed at some pretty luxurious hotels around the Caribbean, such as The Four Seasons in Nevis and The Ritz-Carlton, Rose Hall, Jamaica, The One & Only, Bahamas and this truly was up there as far as service, grounds and excellence. The hotel is undergoing room renovation and unfortunately our room wasn't new but still not bad. My friends were able to get a newly renovated room and said it was nicley done with granite and marble. The room size is just average and certainly not as grand as a room at the Ritz or The Four season but still nice and less expensive! One of the great things about this hotel is its location to all the fun along the beach. How wonderful it was to simply walk right out to pier and hop on a catamaran for a snorkel or a sunset cruise. Walking to other hotels along the beach for lunch or shopping was also an added bonus. Our children ages 5 and 7 loved the waterslide and my husband enjoyed singing at the beachside karaoke bar and the casino. The casino while not big or opulent was actually quite fun with a live band.
I'd definitely go back!

• Liked — Pool area, resturants, casino, karaoke bar
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank KokomoJenny
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2007

Just came back from a week at the Hyatt (4/15 - 4/23) and had a great time! My husband and I traveled with our two children (8 and 5) and found that there was plenty to keep us busy. The renovated rooms are really very nice. The staff could not be more helpful (special kudos to Coral at the Concierge Desk, to Diana and Augie at the Towel Hut and to Cesar). The grounds were beautiful and the entire property is kept very clean. Please be prepared to tip on a regular basis. The staff works very hard to accomodate their guests.

I read about the bathrooms in the renovated rooms and thought it would not be a big deal. I was wrong. The window in the bathroom provides no privacy and causes the entire room to be illuminated if you should get up in the middle of the nite and turn on the bathroom light. Also, because you have to get up and out to the towel hut by 6am to reserve a palapa (which you absolutely need), you will find that you need/want to turn on the bathroom light or simply get dressed in the dark. (I found that you could turn on the closet light for some additional light without waking up the rest of the people sleeping in your room.) Another issue with the renovated rooms is that there is really not ample space to hang your bathing suits out to dry. For an oceanfront/warm weather hotel, I found that puzzling.

The pool is fabulous. The kids (and some adults) could not get enough of the water slide. The swim up bars are terrific, too! The beach is kept super clean. It tends to get crowded when cruise ships come in, but security keeps both the pool and beach areas safe and manageable.

The healthspa is an adequate size. There is always upbeat music on and plenty of tv viewing. The fresh orange wedges are a nice touch, too! The gym hours and extensive, so there is plenty of time in a 24 hour period to get a workout.

I ran up and down the beach each morning, which gave me an opportunity to view some of the other hotels. Bar none, the Hyatt is the nicest property on the strip.

Food is expensive on the island. I would suggest requesting a refridgerator for your room and stock it with groceries from the market, which is a $10 cab ride from the hotel. Well worth it.

We met so many friendly people staying at the hotel. Our experience was so wonderful that we are considering booking for a week again next April during spring break.

• Liked — Great service and beautiful property
  • Disliked — Bathroom light situation.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank CTFamilyTraveler
madison,ct
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Hyatt is best hotel in Aruba!
Date 4/23

We stayed 4/13-4/21 at the Hyatt and had wonderful time. The building and grounds are impressive and inviting. Casual elegance seems to best decribe the hotel. Service and staff were friendly and attentive.

Stayed on third floor in newly renovated room. Room was stylish and comfortable. As mentioned previouslyby others the glass window and door to the bathroom is different but you get used to it. The older floors not yet renovated were in need of some TLC as construction continues on those areas.

Overheard guests complaining about construction noise and or assigned an older room and sought room changes. Hotel seemed to be able to assist everyone throughout the week with room changes.

Yes you do have to get up early for a prime hut or pool area umbrella, but since my wife is an early riser anyway it was never a problem for us. SInce this is not the high season, late arriving guests could still land a hut or pool chair.

We preferred the pool area for our two boys ages 13 and 11. The close proximity to the poolside swimup bar, two story pool slide and bathrooms made it an enjoyable week.

Restaurants and bars on site offered good food and good service. The prices at the hotel were high and plenty of good and cheaper alternatives are close by for the choosing, but we were on vacation and not cooking anyway.

We took a stroll to the other high rise hotels and came away believing the Hyatt was the best hotel on the island.

Cudos to Trip Advisor and all the reviews provided. By doing our homework prior to booking and ariving we were able to have a good understanding of everything Aruba and the Hyatt had to offer thus no suprises during our vacation.
We are considering going back to Aruba next year and will again choose the Hyatt.

4 Thank cwf531
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!