“2nd stay as good as the first”

Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is the 2nd year in a row we stayed at the Hyatt for our annual girls trip. Enjoyed it just as much as the first time (see previous review of this property by me). Thought I would add a few new notes and lessons learned that might help future travelers.

The hotel internet is pricey at $35 per week PER device. But the little Shoco cafe has free wi-fi and was perfect for a quick step in and sync up a couple of times a day. Really all that was needed. So my recommendation is to just use that and avoid the hotel fee. That way you can post gorgeous beach pictures to Facebook for free to make all your friends jealous! :-)

As far as dining we did try the recently redone Mexican restaurant on the property. I would rate it as just ok for the price. At the Hyatt my favorite dining places remain the little Shoco cafe for breakfast and a quick sandwich for lunch. Or the bar food where we would split a burger and fries. For a non-US burger it was pretty good and the fries are excellent. But overall, for nighttime dining we found much better choices off the resort and most within easy walking distance.
Smokey Joe's has excellent BBQ (and I'm a southern BBQ snob)
Casa Tui has really good thin crust pizza
MooMba beach grill which has you dining right on the beach has tasty calamari and pan seared grouper (really fresh - you are right there where the fishing boats come in; past the Holiday Inn, near the Marriotts)
Madam Janettes is still awesome

Also, don't forget to bring a water bottle. The hotel keeps ice and water fountains handy near the beach and bars and it is a great way to keep refilling up with cold water for the beach without dealing with the expense of bottled water.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AlabamaKim
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the great post to TripAdvisor and want to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the world. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again soon. Thanks again!

Hyatt Regency Aruba Team

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is our 3rd visit to Aruba and although I felt like a veteran having been at the Hyatt 2 years in a row I soon learned that nearly every one I met had been to Aruba numerous times and the more specifically the Hyatt once they discovered it--and many have been coming year after year for 10 and 20 years. It also seemed that generations of families have been coming as a meeting place year after year as I think it truly appeals to all ages. It is not It says a lot when every one you meet keeps returning to the island and specifically to the Hyatt. We were returning to Aruba to celebrate my Father's 80th birthday (he is not your typical 80 year old and is truly a poster child for 80 is the new 60 and he and my Mother who have travelled the world (and continue to) both chose to celebrate in Aruba where they have been before and feel it is one of the most beautiful beaches they have ever seen (second to Bora Bora). The hotel has a beautiful layout with a clean island elegance where the breeze can blow through the open lobby with numerous seating areas to gather together for drinks before dinner. There is also an upper bar which is outdoors and there is live music and great service...kudos to Daisy who took incredible care of our family the entire week each night when we returned to the bar of lobby for after dinner drinks--she is truly a one of kind special lady--Thank you Daisy! And the pier bar is fantastic for afternoon cocktails over the water. This may be one of our favorite spots to sit in our swim suits for a refreshing glass of champagne or a local Island CHILL beer to watch the water sports and just admire the endless turquoise water. And a big thank you to Mary Luiz for making our time on the pier extra special 2 years in a row! It is amazing to me how everyone knows your name and makes you feel like they are honestly honored to have you visiting their island...I suppose that is why Aruba has a 50% repeat visitor rate.

The rooms are very nice. We upgraded the standard room to suites... I am not sure I would do that for all 4 rooms again as the family suite does not offer a view like the ocean front standard room we had last year nor does it offer the sit down outside balcony like the Sunset Suite we booked for my parents. However, if you are coming with a family, the FAMILY SUITE offers a lot more space with 2 rooms separated by a hall so depending on your priority make your own choice. We did get the SUNSET SUITE for my parents-- This suite is one of the few in the hotel that has a sit out balcony and a beautiful view. My Dad spend every afternoon on his balcony for at least one hour and he loved that luxury. The rest of the rooms and suites have a step out balcony with just enough room to stand, but there is not room for a chair. However, our room was the most incredible room with 3 huge floor to ceiling windows overlooking the ocean...although we did not have a balcony we could sit out on, with the sliders open it felt like we were sitting outside and the ocean was singing and the sun shining. I don't know the name of the suite we were in, but it was Room 823 and we would absolutely choose that room again--it is a suite with a killer view and I am certain it commands a few extra dollars, but I think it is worth it! Of course access to the concierge floor is an added bonus (a perk of being platinum, but I think you can upgrade to the concierge floor for a fee and I highly recommend doing that if it's an option as there is breakfast and snacks and then appetizers during the dinner hour. Although we had the full buffet breakfast each morning in the restaurant, we all met on the 9th floor often for coffee or wine and a snack.
Every single person at this resort from Daniel (one of the Managers), to Daisy at the bar, and Mary Luiz and to Karin and Florence in concierge (and all the wonderful women working in concierge), the incredible ladies in housekeeping, the beautiful singing of the woman who put out the food on the 9th floor as well as the waiters, waitresses, and coffee girls and the beautiful women who sang happy birthday to my Father at breakfast and the black jack dealers who made us laugh all made our stay a 10 plus!

My only comment that would make our stay better is to offer Platinum members a reserved beach cabana as the protocol is that one has to go to the beach and get in line to reserve a beach cabana which wouldn't be a problem however, the reservation hut opens at 6:30AM and the line begins to form at 5AM and by 6:30AM the line is usually 30-40 people long. I am not one who enjoys waiting in lines under any circumstances and especially not on vacation There are cabanas for rent that cost $35-$50 per day (depending on the season), but with 8 of us booked at the hotel we often needed 2-3 cabanas to protect us from the sun and I just don't think it is set up right to have to pay an additional fee or to have to spend 1-1 1/2 hours waiting in a line while on vacation so I would love to see a new system here--I offer this as food for thought for the Hyatt staff and fixing this would make this property a perfect 10!

Room Tip: Pay extra to get access to the concierge floor as the amenities are well worth it. I don't sug...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We have received the wonderful comments you entered on TripAdvisor and want to thank you personally for sharing your positive experience with us. It is very gratifying to receive such positive feedback and your comments have encouraged us to continue looking for ways to exceed our guests’ expectations. We look forward to seeing you once again soon!

Hyatt Regency Team

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Hyatt is rated 5 star I was a little disappointed. The restaurants are a little to pricey. I also need to use the internet while I'm away they do not provide free internet and the 35.00 a week gave you such spotty service it created to much frustration. Would consider another hotel because they don't really offer anything special for the extra money. Or perhaps we should look at a different Island.

Room Tip: Rooms above the bar area are noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joan B
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns regarding your experience during your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Aruba.

Customer satisfaction is our main priority and you can be assured that we too are disappointed when we are unsuccessful in creating a memorable travel experience for our guests.

We are in the process of installing our own internet network. We will be offering basic complimentary internet to all guests in the near future.

We look forward to regaining your confidence and making your stay both enjoyable and memorable.

Hyatt Aruba Management

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Although we have been staying at the Aruba Hyatt for many years, the front desk has never made us aware that we can upgrade to the Regency Floor using our "points". A recent guest on this site states that she upgraded her four night stay for ony 3000 pts. Why would I not be made aware of this when I check in and request an upgrade and have already poid for the top-price "Island/Pool View" room?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lswg

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post the review. I sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory experience during your return visit. I have shared your review with the Front Office Management team.

Again, thank you for taking the time to offer feedback. We hope to have you as a guest again in the near future.

Hyatt Aruba Management

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were in Aruba for a work conference for 3+ days. We got there early (noon-ish) and our room wasn't ready. Apparently, they had blocked off certains rooms for our group and, although another room was available, they wanted us to wait. (The reason for the 4/5 instead of 5/5 rating.) After over an hour sitting with nothing to do (all our swimsuits and such were in our bags that had been taken from us at the airport), I talked them into letting us have another room. We didn't mind that we weren't on the sixth floor. Our fourth floor room was just fine. It overlooked the courtyard and was a bit loud at night, but that wasn't awful.

Our breakfasts were really good (Ruinas del Mar Restaurant). We had a reception on the first night and the service and food for 200+ was outstanding. Ditto for a banquet on the last night. (We ate out at El Gaucho, an Argentine steak restaurant in town, the second night and it was superb. Make reservations when you get to the hotel or you might not get in. It's worth the taxi and the price. Awesome food.)

The beach was clean and not crowded although the hotel was full. The pool was beautiful as well. We took a Jeep excursion into the Arikok National Park and had a blast. Ask the concierge to set you up for that, too.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are a bit loud at night because of the band/d.j. below. Higher floors might muff...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank wfreels
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for a week and were very happy. It is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The staff is very helpful..the rooms are beautiful. The beach was amazing...we had everything that we needed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your warm and positive comments about the Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort, Spa and Casino. We appreciate your insights and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Hyatt Regency Aruba Team

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I must admit I was very hesitant about staying here having read the reviews listing complaints of beach shade 'trees', crowded pools, etc. Although somewhat true, I found them to be very exaggerated. You can't expect to arrive at any beach, resort or cruise pool at 11:30 am and find the perfect spot. Is it necessary to arrive early to claim your spot? Absolutely. However, they do have two very large shaded areas that easily accommodate all of those people that were unable to get the individual shaded tree areas. Another option is to rent one. They are available by the day, or your partial or entire stay and you are guaranteed the same one every day. The price of $30 includes up to four chez lounges, 4 chairs, 2 floats, 2 tables, and a cooler of ice, but be sure to ask the beach attendants for everything other than the lounges. A few dollars every day guaranteed that all these items were set up for us daily. The shaded 'trees' become available at about 7:30. If a different one opens up during the stay, you can switch your spot. None is more than 150' from the ocean. We did not use the pool that often, but we never found it crowded.
There are 3 options for breakfast: you can order from the menu, get the full buffet for $22, or a continental buffet for $10. The food is typical resort breakfast buffet, with an omelet station, assorted pastries, hot and cold cereals, lox, fruit, yogurt, waffles, pancakes, juice and coffee Al fresco dining is available, although limited.
For kids, they do have an on-site store that sells a la carte breakfast items, freshly made and packaged sandwiches, and very tasty hot from the oven pizza for lunch. Starbucks coffee is available from 6 am, and a 2 minute walk brings you to a Dunkin Donuts. Given the quality of food and the fact that this is a resort, I thought the prices were about what should be expected.
Other than the Mexican restaurant, the food at the other two restaurants, although a limited menu, was excellent, with an appetizer, main course, and a drink costing about $55 - again, reasonable for a 5 star resort. A 15% service charge is already included in the price of everything so tipping is not necessary.
The weather was magnificent; mid 80's with a beautiful off shore breeze every day. The staff always smiled and never said no. We usually at ate restaurants recommended by the concierge, some requiring a 5-10 minute cab ride, and I would be hard pressed to say which was the favorite. Within walking distance is Wacky Wahoo - a must for dinner! Shorts and a collared shirt is accepted everywhere.
As far as Wifi, you do have to pay for it and I was told service was intermittent, at best. However, one of the goals for this vacation was to get away from Wifi.
Sunsets are to die for.
My only complaint were on-the-beach services that had nothing to do with the Hyatt. The Occidental (next door) has an outdoor enclosed massage area, where my 50 minute massage lasted 35 minutes. Unfortunately, most of these services require up-front payment. I complained to the manager and finally was refunded the unused time only after threatening to call the police. DO NOT PAY FOR ANY SERVICE UP-FRONT INCLUDING MASSAGE, WATER SPORTS, DEEP SEA FISHING, ETC.
We are already planning next years return to the Hyatt.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank deafdoc
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Hyatt Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#14 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!