“One Hand to Greet You - One Hand in your Pocket”

Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Montreal, Canada
“One Hand to Greet You - One Hand in your Pocket”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the last week of January for 8 nights.
I am writing this review because I am tired of hotels taking advantage of people at check out with ridiculous hidden fees.

Here is the breakdown on this hotel :

• Is Aruba amazing : YES
• Is the hotel location excellent : YES
• Is the property beautiful : ABSOLUTELY
• Is the service great : YES

Here is my problem. People are paying a HUGE amount of money per night in the high season and this is what they get on top of that.

• Resort Fees : $50-60 a day
• Room Service Fees $4.50 per day (this is a first ?)
• Baggage handling fee $15 (this is first ?) - And it does not matter whether you use a bellman or not - You're gonna pay Buddy anyways. We brought our luggage to the room and they still had the audacity to charged us.
• You want a hut in the shade on the beach. You better be in line at 6h30AM (what a vacation...). Oh you want to reserve one ? No problem $35.
• And the list goes on and on. Expect 5-6 charge lines per day under your hotel nightly fee.

It's a beautiful hotel and location, but their financial goals off each customer are out of line.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tahiti009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just returned from another glorious week in Aruba. We have been coming to Aruba on and off for more than 35 years. Over the years we have stayed in many hotels, but the Hyatt is definitey our favorite. Perfect location, beautiful beach and extraordinary staff. We have stayed here for over 15 years, usually at the end of January. So many of the staff have been there for more than15 years, so it is like coming home. Wonderful warm receptions. The weather is wonderful, warm with tradewinds. We love the tents on the beach. Two lounges under the tent, two on the beach and you are set for the day. You can even have your lunch on the beach. We will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mdelv
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Greetings from Hyatt Regency Aruba!

We appreciate the great post to TripAdvisor and want to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with everyone. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations once again and look forward to serving you soon. Thanks again!

Warm Regards,
Hyatt Regency Aruba Management
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We have gone to the Hyatt for several years now over the MLK week. We've never had an issue before. We were down at the Hyatt bar closest to the beach, we were watching a game and having a glass of wine after dinner.
A local man, around 30 years of age, proceeds to approach my husband and very discretely say discriminatory remarks to him and accuse him of being racist! My husband was watching tv, minding his own business, hadn't said a word. The guy was obviously on something. The bartender did nothing, I proceeded to say something to one of the managers. She said she knew something was up and was in touch with security. She mentions they'd had trouble with him before. I asked that they hurry. The guy was huge and was starting to try and engage me in his stupid abuse. Security slowly saunters down and asks the guy to leave. Very little was said to apologize to my husband, it was as if nothing had happened.
I think what bothered me the most was this guy had a history with the Hyatt, and they weren't calling the police.
We tried to take this up with the night manager at the front desk, but they had to be paged and couldn't be bothered to show up. There was no call the next day, no follow up whatsoever.
I'm just thankful nothing more serious happened. Really soured the whole vacation.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
15 Thank kzconcern
Hyattregencyaruba, Manager at Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for posting the review. The safety and security of our guest is of utmost importance. We would like to discuss this matter with you. Please email us at adventur@hyatt.com, and provide the best means of contacting you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Resort Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our third stay at the Hyatt Aruba which is located in the high rise section of the island. Great location ($25 taxi from airport) hotel is on the beach and across the street from shopping and plenty of restaurants so no car rental is needed. The hotel itself is beautiful and the staff is very warm and friendly.

HOTEL OVERALL:
Beautiful modern decor, renovated a few years ago and it now has more of a Hyatt/ luxury feel, which we love.

ROOM:
The room was a nice size, we had a king bed, chaise lounge, desk and enough room to walk around without feeling "cluttered". Bed was very comfy and room was very clean (I'm the traveler who tears apart the bed to check before settling in!!). bathroom is huge, two counters and a very large rain shower. (Portico toiletries which seem to be Hyatt standard, nice eucalyptus scent)

We used points to upgrade to the club level (9floor) so we were able to get a continental breakfast each morning, beverages throughout the day and a light snack was offered in the late afternoon. Probably not worth the extra hundreds of dollars to upgrade to the club level but if you have the
Hyatt points I highly recommend the upgrade! We ate breakfast in the lounge each morning and that kept us full enough to skip lunch and hold out for the club level afternoon "snack" which was typically salads, cheeses and desserts with a different cuisine highlighted each night.

STAFF:
On our first night We were welcomed back with a cheese plate and champagne and a sweet note from the manger thanking us for returning to the hotel. A few nights later we celebrated a birthday and chocolates and champagne arrived from the club level manager with another sweet note.. As I mentioned, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful and a major reason we have stayed in the hotel 3 times!

FOOD:
A recent renovation eliminated the japanese and italian restaurants but replaced them with Mexican, which I didn't have time to try. Remaining restaurant, Ruins Del Mar was beautiful at sunset (eat outside!) and the food was excellent once again (though a bit pricey). There is a "market" where you can purchase snacks or STARBUCKS as well as The Palms which is great for casual (burger) type dining. If you're venturing out of the hotel for dinner I highly recommend Texas de Brazil and Daniel (if you're a meat eater) and Hosteria de Vittorio (for Italian) all across the street from the hotel and a 3-5 minute walk. Overall, I think Aruba restaurants (both in the Hyatt and across the street) are excellent, haven't had a bad meal there yet!

POOL/BEACH:
Both very clean (though crowded as expected due to the time of year -January- in which I visited)
Water was calm and perfect.

CONS (not many!!)
there is a resort fee (I had no idea till I checked out, didn't recall it from my last visit 5 years ago)
There is also a fee if you wished to use the in room fridge for your own items. (Though we had access to the club level lounge so we never needed this option)
Step out balcony is too small for any furniture, which is a shame since the property and view are so beautiful it would be nice to sit on the balcony rather than stand.

Overall we really like this hotel and would stay here again next time we're in Aruba!

Room Tip: Use Hyatt points to upgrade to club level!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JBCol
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort, Spa and Casino. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for taking your time to leave a review. I echo your sentiments with regard to our exceptional service team. We are sincerely grateful that you selected Hyatt Aruba once again, and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

One again thank you for your feedback and on behalf of our associates, masha danki!

Hyatt Team
Roslyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Just returned from a trip to Aruba for 5 days with my husband. Enjoyed staying at the Hyatt. Room was clean, beds were very comfortable. Had a room on the 5th floor with view of the pools and the ocean. Had a step out balcony. It would have been nicer if balcony was bigger so that we could have sat out there and enjoyed the view and entertainment. Every night they had entertainment, someone singing and playing keyboard or guitar- very, very nice. Beach was great, water is clean and very calm-no waves at all - and warm. Only minus is wireless internet service-very poor and often could not connect. Also in order to get a good spot on the beach under the palm umbrellas you must reserve for an additional $35 Dollars in advance. Seems alot considering it is not inexpensive to stay there. Hotel is located withing walking distance of many good restaurants. You do not need to rent a car if you stay there. Walking around at night is a pleasure, lots of people watching, wonderful balmy air.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank susan k
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I visited Aruba with my wife and 7 month daughter as a "push gift" for my wife. Mothers know what I am talking about. This was my first trip with my baby so we were hesitant traveling internationally for fear of potential baby problems. If our luggage got lost with our baby items, can we get replacements in Aruba? The concierge staff helped us out by email promptly (Thank you!). I learned that Aruba had some local grocery stores (by taxi ride) that we could buy American baby products (Huggies diapers, Earth's best baby food, etc). You can do online google searches for Ling & Sons and Superfoods.

There were two touristy areas along the west coast: "Low rise hotels" and "high rise hotels". Low rise hotel area appeared to consist of condos and hotel no taller than 4-5 stories high. The hotels and condos were more spread out and not within walking distance of shopping or restaurants. High rise hotels was consisting of taller hotels (and more expensive/extravagant. Read $$$). Hyatt was in the center of the "High rise hotel" area with shopping and restaurants less than 2-5minute easy walk. I loved the location for the Hyatt since we were not forced to eat at the hotel for all meals. I enjoyed the meals at the hotel but I just liked to try a little more variety.

Although the Hyatt staff were very friendly, I have seen better. When we checked in after a long 12 hour flight, the front desk staff barely smiled at us. I kind of expected a little more for a four star hotel. On the other hand, the concierge staff was friendly and very helpful in suggesting and reserving local restaurants. You did not have to tip the bellman or the housekeeper since they were automatically charging your hotel bill at the end of your stay (bellman: $7.50 USD. Housekeeper: $4.50/night).

We were very happy that the Hyatt had cribs available for our use. We had a crib reserved and ready for us in our room once we checked in. We had a king size bedroom with garden view. The garden view overlooked the garden/pool. It was a beautiful view. If you liked to go to sleep before 10pm, you might have a problem with this room since they have live music in the garden area bars until 10pm. The music was not too loud but you definitely could hear it. The balcony was small where you could only stand on it, but not sit. Bathroom was nice but nothing special other than rain-shower spray. As an American, I was appreciative of multiple standard US electric plugs, purified drinkable tap water, and internet access. Internet access was not free and was not fast (no more than 1 Mbps for download and much less for upload). Nonetheless, it was good enough for Facebook! :)

We hung out at the kiddie pool for the most of the day. Hyatt used a "first come first serve" reservation for beach or pool umbrellas. I had to wake up 6:30am every morning to reserve an umbrella for whole day use. It was free but a slight hassle. At least, I knew that my wife and baby had cover for the day while at the pool. This hotel was very family friendly. We were glad to see a lot of families with kids and not a lot of rambunctious college kids. The pool side was peaceful and not too noisy. They had a water slide that was fun with barely a wait. I enjoyed it. :)

I wouldn't mind returning to Aruba or to the Hyatt. We had a great experience with little problems.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sonosite
Greetings from sunny Aruba!

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent family stay here at our beautiful resort. I echo your sentiments with regard to our exceptional service team and especially from our concierge team.. We are sincerely grateful that you selected Hyatt Aruba, and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Hyatt Regency Aruba Management
indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Hyatt in Aruba is just stunning! This resort is in the perfect spot on Eagle Beach. The resort has a beautiful open air lobby and all the rooms have a juilet balcony facing the ocean. The only complaint we have is the small step out balcony, but the views are spectacular! All the associates are friendly and willing to spend time talking to you and finding out your needs. The bartenders at the beach bar and the pier are the best! The process for reserving a beach hut is easy and fair. We really loved this location. We loved being in the heart of the boardwalk with easy access to all the resorts along the high rise. We would never select the Marriott resorts because they are SO packed with people, the Hyatt is in the perfect spot. Don't think twice about selecting the Hyatt in Aruba!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,752 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,600 reviews
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,864 reviews
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,370 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!