“The place to stay in Aruba”

Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Just returned from our 9th stay at the Hyatt. The Hyatt is "the place" to stay in Aruba. The staff is great. The beach is great. The whole vacation was great. Oh ya, they have now frosted the entire glass windows between the bathroom (shower) and bedroom. Seay hello to Diana (at the Towle Hut), Janet (at the Palm's Bar), Cordillia (at the Pool bar) and have a mojito (at the Alfresco Bar) for us. Don't forget Daygar (at the Front Desk) who is the local Red Sox/Patriot fan. He'll know. Going back again . . . and again.

The Glenlivet Man!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TheGlenlivetMan
Write a ReviewReviews (3,828)

Reviewed November 20, 2007

I traveled with my wife and friends. After hearing the Hyatt was the best place, review after review, I was expecting this place to be amazing. I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed but the place is clean and nice. There are no balconies. The Hyatt is extremely nice not amazing, actually I thought the Radisson was a close 2nd but I didn't see the rooms.

I have traveled like the rest of us to higher end places but not the top end places. The Hyatt is nice and relaxing but I thought for the 50 million dollars that was put into the place they missed out on some of the finer details. No close line or a place to hang your clothes (even the basic places have this), the place at night is not lit up like most hotels (looks dull, not fancy), after a nice long day on the beach you go to your room and your either forced to lay in bed or take a shower right away because of the no balconies and every hotel I stay at with a pool/beach there is someone always waiting to take an order. They had 4 people taking orders for the pool and beach (about 300 people). I had to get up and go to them every time I wanted to order.

The rooms are nice and clean, a lot of people talk about the window in the bathroom but it didn't bother me that much. The lobby was extremely nice and overall the place was nice which is why I gave it a 4 star rating.

Here's your secrets to a perfect trip:
Book a garden view, no need for the ocean/island or ocean/pool, Book the garden and ask for the rooms not on the main section of the hotel. They have a side part which is a straight view of the ocean. Request a refrigerator in the room. Take a cab from the airport (15 minutes) and stop at a grocery store right on the way. Get beer, wine, liquor, chips and bottled water. This saved at least 1/2 the price since beers are $6 a beer and bottle water is $5 or $6 as well. Plus you can bring them on the beach with a cooler and you won't have to worry about getting a server.

You will also need to wake early to get a hut, which I did. Wake at 6:30 not 6:00 but you will need to do this. I heard a lot of complaining about this but the whole hotel section does this; it's not just the Hyatt. This is a must since you will need shade for that sun.

The Hyatt is perfectly located in between all of the restaurants to the left and to the right. Any other hotels and you would have to walk a little further. The Radisson is close by as well, (2 hotels down). The RIU, Westin & Marriott are a good walking distances to the restaurants.

The night life is in the casino and NOT at Peit's Pier. The next pier over to the left called Bungalow's is the pier to be at for the sunset. Live music and cold beers. Oh yea, did I mention that everyone is either from NJ/NY. I wanted to get away from this area and I was put right back into the middle of it.

Madame Jeanette's - Excellent, a must, get the Almond Grouper
El Gaucho - Excellent, a must for steak lovers
Flying Fishbone - Excellent location, food could have been better
Vittorio's (Spell Check) - Pretty Good, get the lobster
Gilligan’s - Happy Hour is fun and 2 for 1 beers
Salt & Pepper's - Pretty Good, breakfast
Tomato Charlie’s - For those who aid this place was good, you need to out to eat more OR come to NY for pizza.
The food was overall very good; service can get a bit slow at times. El Gaucho's service was on the money.

Rent a Jeep 4 x 4 (with AC), get a map, and GO. You need to see the other side of the island; it is very manageable to do on your own. Do NOT go to the natural pool.

Went deep sea fishing, it was extremely rough, I've been deep sea fishing at 3 different areas and I had to turn the trip short. The water was very rough and we were getting soaking wet add that to catching nothing, we headed home. The water on the beach is very, very calm. No waves at all, until you get out there.

Overall, Aruba was a fun place to visit and I would recommend it but please check out the Radisson because I really think a balcony would have been a lot better. In the morning drinking coffee and coming off the beach it was needed. Aruba is a great place because you are not stuck in the hotels, you can walk and eat but you must take a cab ride to the top three restaurants I listed.

One of my favorite things on the trip was meeting great people everyday and talking to new friends.

3  Thank cincyreds1975
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Although some other hotels are nice, I believe that the Hyatt is the premier resort, then Marriot, and the 3rd Radisson.

It’s a familiar hotel, so be prepared to hear the screaming of the children runing around you (mostly in pool)

The beach is fine, but I have to say that the Divi Phoenix Beach is the best, the clearest water and no rocks in the sand…which is the only in high rise, then the Riu/Westin in a second place.

The best food in this great island you will find it in Madame Janette, but the best restaurante by far is Le Dome (I love Screaming Eagle too)

If you haven’t been to Aruba yet, you’ll love it. The people, climate, and beaches are amazing.

Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank Corrionero
Reviewed November 17, 2007

We stayed at the Hyatt for 6 glorious days. The Hyatt gets it right with accommodations, food, and great hotel service. We went on a business trip, so breakfast and dinner were included.

- Get to the towel shack early (it opens at 7:00 am) in order to reserve a spot under the many huts that they have on the beach. We preferred hut #36.

- There are plenty of restaurants in the area (Benihana, Smokey Joe's are right across the street).

- There are mini markets down the block for snacks (when you exit the front of the hotel, go to your left about 3 blocks).

The hotel renovation is almost complete (just minor repairs going on right now), so the noise is not bad at all.

The hotel staff are wonderful; rooms made up in the morning and evening. TV is better than I expected (got local NYC news in Aruba).

I highly recommend the Hyatt for a perfect stay in Aruba.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank NYCdweller43
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Hi guys -

Short & sweet - here's my two cents...
It was fantastic! The Hyatt hotel is by far the nicest hotel on the high rise section. The renovations are AWESOME! It's pretty much all complete - when my boyfriend and I were there, we barely noticed ANY construction. We didn't hear a thing (our room was on the 4th floor).
The juice bar by the pool is amazing...food was good - but I would recommend eating outside the hotel only because you are in Aruba...
Use De Palm tours for any/every activities - there awesome!
Have a great time! Hope this helps!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NYCTripGirl
Reviewed November 9, 2007

We spent 5 days and 4 nights at the Aruba Hyatt in early Nov 2007.

The renovations are great. Our room was nicely color coordinated and the king bed is firm. The window that everyone talks in the bathroom about is really no big deal. We thought the frosted part went up high enough to offer privacy. The open air lobby is spacious and bright. The grounds are beautifully maintained.

The Hyatt has 30+ straw beach umbrellas. We never had a problem getting one. When you ask for towels, they help you to find an open spot. You can order food right on the beach (Helena was our server everyday and she was great). The Hyatt's pools are nice. They have a swim up bar for the adults and a kiddie pool. This seems to be a very family oriented hotel as we saw lots of families, even with very young children in strollers. Don't forgot to try the steam sauna. There are two next to the pool area and no seems to ever use them, so we had them to ourselves everyday.

I'm sure you have read other reviews about the restaurants, so i'll just mention a few. Ruinas del Mar at the Hyatt has a nice buffet breakfast. It's pricey at $21 per person, but ok to try once. Tomato Charlies across the street has delicious thin crust pizza at a reasonable price. Iguana Joe's (downtown) was a great spot to eat fast food, watch the cruise ships come in and just sit and people watch from the 2nd floor open air balcony.

i'd recommend getting a small refrigerator and buying water and snacks from the mini-mart down the street or from the shop-n-go (about a 10 minute walk from the hotel next to Wendy's). Eating at the Hyatt is expensive, but fortunately there are plenty of eating spots within a 10 to 15 minute walk if you're not a picky eater. For special occasions, consider the dinner on the beach at sunset (called paradise dinner or something --it's on the Hyatt's website). It was great, although pricey.
If you go downtown to shop, make sure to bargain, they expect it and you save $$$$.

Hope this helps.

7  Thank bogie27
Reviewed October 31, 2007

We just loved loved loved the Hyatt!! We spent a fabulous 8 days and 7 nights at the hotel for our honeymoon and it was just spectacular! The renovations have made this a very clean, comfortable and modern hotel. Yes there is just a little construction going on still, but nothing that can't be tolerated. Besides....you're on vacation people....get out of your room during the day and enjoy your beautiful destination! Nevertheless, it wasn't that much and it didn't take away from the fact that the Hyatt is THE best hotel in Aruba. The property is meticulously maintained, the staff goes above and beyond to make sure you're having a wonderful stay, and the beach was beautiful. The people that help with the beach chairs and rafts were wonderful as well. We always staggered on to the beach at about 10 or 11 in the morning after breakfast, and there was always palapas and chairs available. Maybe because it wasn't summer - family - vacation time but whatever the case, it was available and it was free. I've been to many a places where you have to pay for those luxuries, so to those that are complaining, they should get over it.

I think the problem with many people on these boards is that they expect the world to be offered on a silver platter. Look, its a lovely hotel, with nice people, it isn't St. Regis or the Plaza hotel....it's not cheap, but it's also afordable. Take it for what its worth, don't sweat the stupidities, and realize people are working for YOU as you lounge around and get a tan. Be happy there's even people willing to do that for you. So many of you nay-sayers are a bunch of spoiled brats.

Anyway, I digress...it just agrivates me to see negative things said because the hotel was spectactular! Loved every minute of our honeymoon and we can't wait to come back. We even met a couple that had been going to the hyatt for the last 25 years.....lovely couple who truly looked like they enjoyed 25 years with the hotel. I'm hopeful we can do the same!

Don't bother looking elsewhere...the Hyatt in Aruba is THE place to be!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank SandieSometimes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#14 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#20 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!