“Never Again”

Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Venice, Florida
“Never Again”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We booked three rooms through Travelocity for a one night stay before moving to our condo. I had requested a crib in one of the rooms. When I received the confirmation from Travelocity it did not note my request for the crib. They suggested I call the resort. I sent three emails directly to the resort which went unanswered. I than contacted the resort's US rep. She assured me she would follow through. I took it one step further and actually called the resort. The person I spoke with assured me crib would be in room. When we arrived, no crib and reservation person under the impression it was one room for three nights. showed them my confirmation. Still no crib. The matter was finally resolved after several hours of wasted time at the front desk. when I was shown our rooms I immediately asked them to change our room as floor was soaking wet and moisture literally running off the walls. Was told there were no other rooms. Got everyone else settled in their rooms and realized the bedding In our room was damp. Back to front desk, new person on duty. Made security go to our room to check it out. Security actually told front desk the room was inhabitable. Suddenly they found another room (it is now midnight). Noticed that the rooms on either side of the new room not occupied so obviously rooms available . Wait staff in restaurant very friendly, but breakfast buffet is overpriced. Pool looked nice but we did not use it. The rooms have a very strange layout. Basically three adjoining rooms to each block. Their Royal room has the strangest bath arrangement I have ever seen. Big jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room. Odd shower and toilet combo,need to step up into the shower stall. Not at all user friendly if one has mobility issues. Room has a very small balcony. The middle room is sort of a studio with no balconey but does have small kitchen. Third room just an ordinary hotel room with a regular bathroom.
The front desk person was all by herself, answering phone calls, questions from guests, and trying to check people in. We saw a number of staff just sitting around . Seems to me someone could have helped out at the desk. To be fair it should be noted that due to a storm in the northeast some of the guests were unable to leave which I am sure added to the confusion. We have been coming to Aruba for twenty years and have often booked a one night stay prior to moving to our condo. We have never seen a resort that appears to be this disorganized and unhelpful to guests.

Room Tip: If you do stay there insist on the regular hotel room which has more usable floor space, a normal ba...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Djw34285

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Indianapolis
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We wanted to enjoy our trip without paying a ton of money and The Mill was a great choice. It's not the fanciest hotel on Aruba, by any means, but the room was large with a huge tub as well as a separate bathroom with shower. Also had a small refrigerator in it which was a big help, and it's own private patio. Our main goal wasn't to hang out in the room so it worked fine for us.

The hotel has a good size pool and a beach bar (which is where you go to get ice for your room - not super convenient but not a huge deal). The hotel is just behind the Westin and it's a very short walk to the beach or they will shuttle you over. Once at the amazing beach they will set up a lounge chair for you in an area used by Mill customers. And you can take your own cooler!

The people at the desk were friendly although when we checked in there was one gentleman there by himself and he was busy helping everyone that walked up, which made our check-in process longer than it should have been. We've had this happen at upscale hotels as well so not a deal-breaker but we were definitely ready to zip through the process and just get to our room! Later trips to the desk were a little easier and faster although I agree with another reviewer - the younger staff seems friendlier.

We would stay there again, definitely - and have heard that next time we should ask for a renovated room. Apparently they are in the process of renovating (not sure if they are still "in process") so some rooms are nicer. We stayed at a different hotel the second part of our trip and preferred The Mill. We are already planning another trip!

Room Tip: Apparently ask for a renovated room - we learned this the day we were checking out.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emgee55
Kralendijk, null, Netherlands Antilles
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I booked a juniorroom with 2 doublebeds and balcony or terrace. But without being informed, we got a studio with no balcony or terrace and only one doublebed. When I complained about this, they told us we should be happy because it was an upgrade, since it was a renovated studio ?!! They couldn't give us another room, because the resort was fully booked.
I asked that they would refund us the difference in price. They offered us free breakfast or barbeque, which was far cheaper ofcourse. I refused, and finally the refunded us the pricedifference.
At the check out, the guy behind the reception told me we had to pay $45,=. I asked him why, but he couldn't explain. I paid for our stay upon arrival, and we hadn't used anything.
He called with somebody and told me that everything was okay and I didn't have to pay.
To my big surprise however, I discovered on my creditcardaccount, that they had charged me that very same day for $45,=!!! I called them, send them emails, but they didn't even bother to reply. Finally the creditcardcompany refunded me the money.

We would never stay here again. Also don't expect any complimentary shampoos or showergel here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank JeanetteO700

Travelers are raving about these Palm - Eagle Beach hotels

Easton , Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed March 8, 2013

USED this hotel as a weigh station to get to our hotel check in on Saturday. IT was old & run down & pretty much A Cheap alternative to all other booked Hotels . Pretty run down. After taking a Shower my feet turned black as i went to bed. Although the people staying were very nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank krisAtripr
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel was a really great chocie. we travelled with the company Ving from Sweden directflight to Aruba. The transfer bus took us to a low rise hotel in the high rise hotel area and we liked it straight away. I don't know what anyone would have to complain about other than the middle age staff could be a little more helpful without making you feel like you are bothering them.. they do help you but I would recommend the younger staff:)

The room was great. nice, clean, comfortable medium hard bed and nice fluffy pillows and good cleaning service every day(which is well needed because of all the sand you manage to bring back from the beach haha!) Had a lot of american channels as well as dutch and spanish.

The best thing was the kitchenette. Since eating out is pretty expensive we decided to make lunch and some dinners ourselves to have some money left over for activities:) (atlantis submarine tours is a must!) we thought that the hotel breakfast buffet, even though they had a lot to choose from, was not worth 15 dollars.

less than 5 minute to walk to the beach(across the street and thru the high rise hotel westin) where chairs are provided free. both sun, shade and in between:)

pool was great. good size and with kids pool as well. friendly iguanas hanging out there all day long-really cool :)

you have to pay for wi-fi with cash since it's some outside service so the hotel does not take card for your log in code..decided to use the free wi-fi provided at salt&pepper restaurant 5 minutes from the hotel. it's a food court with several restaurants and the wi-fi works at most of them;) cool thing about salt&pepper is that if you bring them a set of salt&pepper shakers that they do not already have you get a glass of free sangria;)

Room Tip: would recommend poolside since it's more quiet. we got one towards the parking with a car alarm...
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed in a room that said we could be 4 people. It was supposed to have a sofa bed. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. (we booked through hotels.com) Thankfully we had the printout with us to show what we booked. The woman at the counter was not very receptive and went to get the manager. James took care of the issue and had 2 single beds brought into the room. Unfortunately the woman at the desk left a sour taste in our mouth, but we realised it wasn't just us. She was also quite rude with the next family as well.
As for the service afterwards, everything was great with James.
If you are clauster phobic, don't be more than 2 adults in a room. The room we had a kitchen and table to eat at. Which was great. The bathroom was small, but really, how much time do you spend in there?
The mini mart in the hotel was great. They had pretty much anything you could want including fresh bread!
We didn't use the pool since the beach was right across the street. The location was great.
If you are looking for a hotel with all the amenities and luxury, go ahead and pay that price somewhere else. The value is great at the Mills. We had no issue and had a great week in Aruba.

1 Thank Natalie S
Western New York
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I received a free two-night stay at The Mill through our energy provider, which is why we went to Aruba. We supplemented our stay at the Holiday Inn and the Divi Dutch Resort, both of which were better than our free nights at The Mill. My husband and I are relatively easy to please, as we make the best of any situation and are very self-sufficient, but this resort is simply DISORGANIZED and dismissive of their guests.

When we first arrived, we wanted to check in early, if possible. It wasn't possible because the room wasn't ready. No problem. We got the "paperwork" out of the way and went to spend a few hours in town. (I'd like to note that Kerry Ann was most helpful and a joy to deal with.)

When we got back (which was basically just to get the key to our room), there were alot of people in the lobby. As soon as we got in line, people lined up behind us. The woman behind us said that she had been waiting for over an hour already and she had been told to go wait at the bar. We waited in that line for an hour ourselves. There were two groups of people at the desk being waited on and two clerks to handle checking everyone in (there was a third, and possibly fourth, clerk that kept walking through, who paused to observe the other two, but didn't help process anyone). Once one group was finally taken care of, ALL of the clerks decided they had to work on the other family's problem (which amounted to standing there staring at the computer screen)...causing the rest of the customers to wait for what seemed like an eternity to check in. The clerks were clearly at a loss as to what to do, the family had "settled in" at the desk, and everyone was kept waiting for a ridiculous amount of time because of ONE problem. (Here's a suggestion: get a manager to work on the "problem" and let the clerks work on checking in the rest of the guests.)

When we finally got to our room, we found that it was FREEZING. My husband looked at the thermostat to try to make the a/c run less and there was a sign on it saying not to turn it off. Luckily there was a down comforter on the bed and we needed it! The room was really nice, but our room had a connecting door to the next room and it was so thin that we could hear their tv like it was blaring. There is no free wi-fi and, while they provide a coffee maker and mugs, they do not provide coffee.

The bed did not have a boxspring and was the hardest mattress we've ever felt (possibly due to a lack of a boxspring), but we slept better on it than we expected, though neither of us slept through the night without waking up or tossing & turning.

The pool was very nice, as were the lounge chairs. When we decided to use our "free 'welcome' fruit punch" vouchers (which, for some reason, can't be used during happy hour??), the bartender left the bar and we had to wait for his return. He and another guy came back to the bar briefly, but left without tending to us. Eventually another guy came to the bar (for some other reason than waiting on us), asked what we needed, and got us our fruit punch, poured one for himself, downed it, and then left the bar again.

I must say this was the most unprofessional establishment we have ever stayed at. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NON-EXISTENT. Take that literally.

Luckily our stay was free, otherwise I would have been EXTREMELY unhappy shelling out ANY money for our stay at The Mill.

2 Thank JaxOTD
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,169 reviews
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,249 reviews
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to The Mill Resort & Suites Aruba? Share your experiences!