“Wonderful Trip”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Michigan
“Wonderful Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

This was our first time to Aruba and decided to go for our 25 Wedding Anniversary. We booked the Tradewinds Club which turned out to be perfect. We had asked for a King Size bed, but upon arrival were informed that we could only get two queens. Of course we both said “NO” this will not due, but they informed us that the hotel was booked and that they had given us the best room on the 8th floor. When we went to the room it was perfect, it over looked the Caribbean and the room was clean, big, a walk in closet with lots of hangers, in room safe, and plenty of drawers for both of us. The bathroom was very nice and spacious.

The balcony was just as nice with two chairs, table and a lounge chair. That evening when we returned from dinner the Tradewinds Staff had left us a note congratulating us, along with a bottle of champagne and a variety of chocolates. Nice touch.

The Tradewinds Club has its own separate level located on the 8th floor with a lounge where they provide food and drinks along with several tables and chairs to sit at. 3 Big Flat Screen TV’s along with two computers (with free internet access) and a printer. It also has two balconies which you could sit outside and eat or have a drink. The breakfast and lunch was a full menu. They served coffee, espresso, cappuccino, tea, hot chocolate, etc. The evening cocktails at night had plenty of food (almost like a dinner). The bar was a serve yourself. It consisted of several wines, local and U.S. beer, champagne, gin, vodka, scotch, baileys, pop, water, etc, but no Crown Royal which is my husband’s first choice of drink. I have a feeling if we had asked for it they might have gotten it for us. I do know the Tradewinds changed its policy and kids are not allowed on this level unless they are over 12 years old.

We ate dinner at several restaurants around the area and they were all okay. LaVista has the best Sea Bass and Simply Fish was a unique dinning experience, but we really didn’t care for the food.

The staff is friendly. The Tradewinds has its own area of beach with 10 Palapas that you can get on a first come bases. If they do not have any left they have several lounge chairs with covers on them. I really admired the Tradewinds Hut women who would drag the chairs down to the water’s edge, lay out the towels and would make sure that no one takes them if you are not around. She was priceless! They also provided each of the Tradewinds guest a floater for you to use on the water at no extra charge. The pool chairs covers were worn and do need replacing, but there were many new chairs without the covers that were just as nice.

I heard many stories on how windy this island is, but we never really experienced any strong winds the whole time we were there (9 days) except when we played golf at Tierra da Sol. We had 2 tee times, but ended up cancelling one of them, way too hot to play golf in Aruba! Thank goodness we didn’t bring our clubs.

I did the spa at the Marriott (hot rocks) and it was very nice.

We had looked at booking at other resorts which were located further down the beach and thank goodness we didn’t. Their beach was not as nice as ours and not much area to swim in as most of the water was roped off.

I felt very safe walking around at night and we both agreed that we would return. The Marriott is the last resort on the Palm Beach, but they are now building a Ritz Carlton right next to the Marriott. They started breaking ground 2 days after we arrived.

Make sure you do the sunset sail. Remember you are at a family resort, so expect some kids. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends, but would recommend the Tradewinds Level.

5 Thank mel0n1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,653)
Carlisle, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

We just returned from a wedding at this resort. My expectations of this resort and of Aruba in general were high, and I'm afraid nothing that I experienced on the trip would compel me to want to return. Despite the negatives, I think that this resort may be close to the best Aruba has to offer. I say this because the bride and groom stayed in several chain resorts on the island while shopping their destination. Since we were there for a wedding, I had the opportunity of seeing several guest rooms. They are not equal by any means. Some are old and outdated, ours happened to be quite nice. Some have just a molded shower/bath combo with a toilet in the same room. Ours happened to have a separate marble shower and a door where the toilet is. There is construction on one side of the resort which made for an unsightly view for friends of ours. It wasn't active, loud construction when we were there, but we were told that they were going to resume in the coming week.
The food was great. The wedding was lovely. The staff didn't seem to care at all if we were satisfied guests. Everything is overpriced. The whole beach palapa ordeal just made me mad. I was told before we arrived that the first row of Palapas was $20/day to reserve and the 2nd row was $15. When we arrived, they didn't have any more to reserve ahead of time, but told me to come at 7am the next morning. I came at 6:45 and there was a long line. I got one of the very last palapas in the last row. No charge. When I went to reserve a Saturday spot on Friday, there weren't any available, so I said I'd reserve one for Sunday. They offered me one in the 4th row and charged $22.

2 Thank i12go_away
New Your
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

My 26 year old daughter and I stayed at the Marriott and thought that the food was great the rooms were very nice and the casino was cool too. What bothered me a bit was the getting up at 430am every morning to ensure a hut so you do not burn. I mean you can reserve it the night before for $25.00 a day. Sorry I think they make enough money on us and the to have to pay xtra to make sure you get a hut is just rediculous. Forget the pool there are not enough unbrellas there either and people just leave towels there from the night before. I will be back to Aruba but not there. The people are not very friendly, I can count the people that were, maybe 3. The bartenders act like they could care less to get you a drink even when you tip them. I mean other then that it was ok.

• Stayed April 2010
3 Thank Shells25
Albany, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

We found the resort to be over rated. The room that we occupied was directly over the lobby bar (Room 332), we heard loud bar music all night. Upon calling the front desk, I got no satisfaction and was told that my room could not be changed. We were also across from the casino and we could smell cigarette smoke in the room. The carpeting in the room had visable stains. Internet connection in the room would not connect. Pool area lounge chair covers were stained with tanning lotion and body sweat. It was very difficult to find a chair around the pool because people would put their towels out early in the morning. If you wanted a beach hut you could stand in line for an hour at 7:00 AM but there is no guarantee that you will get a spot. You do have the option a spending $25.00 per day for for a beach hut but that too is on a first come basis. Overall the resort was OK. Located right on the bus line and with in 10 minutes to restaruants and shopping.

4 Thank bruz97
connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

If you like $15 a day internet fees, $12 martinis, $25 beach palapas - that you have to reserve 3 days ahead of time, and staff that didn't really care if you were there or not, then this is your place. The hotel is clean and totally renovated, which was great but that was probably the best part. It was school vacation week so there were kids all over the place and the beach and pool was a mob scene. I asked about reserving a beach palapa on Sat. morning and was told the next available was on Tuesday morning! I'm on vacation, I don't know what my plans are going to be 3 days later! My husband and I went for the week to enjoy my birthday so we ended up driving down to the Manchebo resort and renting their beach chairs for $8 - we enjoyed the most beautiful, quiet beach that wasn't swarming with people, the palapas were free and first come first serve. They also have the best spa ever. All in all, we enjoyed our week but if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation, head down to the Manchebo or Buscuti resorts at the other end of the strip and you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank muffin563
Philadelphia,pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

This hotel has recently been renovated, however, it's age still shows. This hotel is just okay- if you have high standards I would stay at the Hyatt instead. I had a chance to visit the Hyatt during my stay in Aruba and it's above and beyond the Marriott as far as grounds, service, rooms, etc...and its much newer and cleaner. The marriott is a good hotel for families- There are kids running around everywhere and the beach is very crowded. The water on palm beach sucks- You couldnt see 1' into the water it was so cloudy. Aruba is very americanized that you really don't feel like your in another country. The people there are okay, but they are fake. They smile in your face with one agenda- MONEY. The people there do not like working- and the service is so slow its ridiculous. I went to Grand Cayman last year and stayed at the Ritz, so I guess I set my expectations to that level. If you want just a very average hotel thats crowded and has sub-par service, the Marriot is fine. The customer base at this hotel reflects that as well. If you want to be around a crowd that's a "step up" - stay at the Hyatt. The Marriott is like a circus- seriously.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pete211
long island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

This was our first trip alone without our children, so we really wanted to stay in a beautiful hotel with the most amenities. When we first booked our trip online we were able to get a great deal on our room which was located on the Tradewinds Floor. Once we arrived at the hotel and saw the room, we were not really impressed. It was your basic room with a king bed and flat screen T.V., however because we booked the Tradewinds package all the benefits of that floor were worth it. We asked the conceirge on the floor if we could "upgrade" to a suite and even though we were charged they did give us the upgrade to the Governor's Suite still located on the Tradewinds Floor. The charge should have been $400 extra per night, but they only charged us $200 extra per night so we felt it was worth it. Upon arriving in our new room we were VERY HAPPY! Beautiful hardwood floors, canopy bed, wrap around oceanfront balcony with two lounge chairs, an "L" shaped couch, two full bathrooms with a huge shower and soaker tub and tons of closet space.
The hotel has a beautiful beach, and pool area and the hotel lobby has a really good sushi bar and snack bar open 24 hours, that was really convenient. Also Ruths Chris Restaurant was almost comparible to the one in New York. We didn't eat at La Vista or Simply Fish, but we heard mixed comments about both. We did order room service once for breakfast which was good, but expensive, especially since we did pay for the Tradewinds and you get breakfast included everyday.
The pool and the beach were a little crowded for this time of year, but not too bad. There were alot of kids, sometimes left unsupervised which was a little annoying, but again not too bad. If you love the beach and like to spend alot of time there, RESERVE A PALAPA!!! It's worth it, about $20.00 per day and its all yours. If you book a tradewinds room, you can use the floats for the beach for free. If you book a regular room, they were $5 for the day. You will need the palapa and 75spf, the sun is evil down there and is very deceiving due to the constant breeze.
I do agree with some of the other travelers who have posted reviews that while the hotel is "smoke-free" you will walk into the lobby and smell it. The casino is in the lobby and it is like a wall of smoke as you walk past it. We are not smokers, and did find it bothersome, so much that we used the elevators on the other side of the lobby to get to and from our room just to avoid walking past the casino. The Marriott should really do something about this as this was really our only complaint about our stay.
Overall our stay was awesome, and we are already booking our return trip, (this time with our kids). Recommendations:
*Book a room on the Tradewinds Floor, the suites are especially nice, since you will be paying a little extra you should feel like you at least get what you paid for and the regular rooms seemed like everyother room, just with the benefits of the Tradewinds amenities
*Reserve a palapa for the beach, worth every dollar!
*Wear sunscreen, my husband has olive skin and always tans, he came home BURNT!
*Explore the island, and all it has to offer. It's a very small island and you can do most of the excursions in one day.

1 Thank mrandmrsaruba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,750 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,863 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,204 reviews
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,367 reviews
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!