“Ahh ...Aruba!”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
danimoni70
“Ahh ...Aruba!”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

First let me tell you that I was not excited about going to Aruba. I heard that it's a desert and not really a beautiful island. So, why did I decide to go to the island with feedback such as this? Well, I was in a wedding for my best friend from college. I have to tell you that I was not only impressed with Aruba, but I look forward to going back again with my family next summer. The island is wonderful, the beach incredible and the Marriott Stellaris was great! The weather in Aruba is fantastic. It rained probably about 10 minutes over 2 days. Remember, I went to this island in August--that's hurricane season and we had no worries of terrible grey skies or hurricane hits like the Bahamas or Jamaica!

There was construction at the hotel. But get this; the Marriott gave each guest 20% back to their card for the inconvenience. I didn't have to ask, finagle or haggle them; they just simply told me at check-out that I would receive this credit!

The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. Now, you must remember that you are in the islands so it's not immediate service like you expect here in the states, but you're there to relax so when in Rome do as the Romans...

Although the casino left my pockets thinner I enjoyed every aspect of Aruba. Also, if you're thinking of a destination wedding DO IT IN ARUBA, you can't beat the sunset. So, if you're interested in getting rest and relaxation and don't like being hassled while on the beach or folks begging for money once you leave the property then I say GO TO ARUBA! I've been to several Caribbean islands and now Aruba is at the top of my list.

The nightlife in Aruba is less than appealing, so if you're a twenty-something or in your early thirties I think you'd be better off going to Cancun or Cabo San Lucas. This island is strictly for families or the grown and sexy! So, if you're a family, have older parents or a stressed out single like me, then pack your bags and go!

I know you will sit back on the beach and say: "Ahhh Aruba!"

• Liked — The rooms were clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — The staff was not so quick to respond at times
  • Stayed August 2008
6 Thank danimoni70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,690)
Spring, Texas
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Just returned from a week with my family of four including a toddler and infant. The hotel lobby and two restaurants were under renovation which didn't bother us especially when we were refunded 20% of our costs upon departure (an unexpected surprise). The staff were all accommodating, beach was nice with plenty of palapas for shade, and the poolside and snack/breakfast bar food was good. We were placed in one of the newly renovated rooms. First floor and large came in handy with the kids. The only hotel-specific complaint would be that the operator failed to answer the phone sometimes.

FYI Everything in Aruba is expensive. Be prepared to shell out some cash for hotel and food. Also, stay closer to home if you have little ones. We learned that a four hour flight with a screaming child can ruin your day. We had a great time, but will not return as we can find beautiful beaches closer to home and for less money.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank travapalooza
Long Beach, California
Reviewed August 14, 2008

First, I want to make disclaimers. I am a die hard Marriott Fan. I have stayed in Marriott properties all over the world and might be more forgiving then most travelers.

I live in Southern California and am probably less bothered by background noise like construction then most people.

This was my first trip to the Caribbean. The closest other tropical place I can compare it to would be Hawaii.

Disclaimers done, the hotel and overall property was very nice. We traveled to Aruba for our honeymoon. We stayed in the newly renovated tower (Room 516) and had no issues with the room. Everything worked the room was clean and the maid staff was always very nice and professional.

The construction was bothersome and I was not expecting to be so widespread. If you think, you would be at all bothered by noise or construction this would not be the place to stay. While reading other reviews the stated, the construction was limited to the north tower. By the time we arrived, the construction had spread to the lobby (building a Sushi bar), painting of both towers, and construction of their new restaurant (Open Sept 2008) adjacent to the pool and beach areas. You will hear construction from the pool and beach areas. In our room with our patio door closed, we did not hear any of the construction. I think we would not have been able to hear it anyway over the roar of the pool and waterfalls.

The upside to the construction is the hotel was only about 2/3 full. That meant I could get a pool side chair or a cabana on the beach all day! The beach was very nice; the water was clean and clear. We also stayed at the adjacent Surf Club for a night and found that by 10:00 am you could not find a place to sit anywhere. If you are looking for a beach with devoid of life were you can be relax this is not the place for you. This is the beach activity place! They have parasailing, kite surfing, windsurfing, boating, jet skiing etc. With all the noise that goes along with all these activities.

The restaurant staff was very friendly. The service was good. We ate at every restaurant at all three properties. We liked Champions the best Better then outside of the Hotel. Do not expect it to be super fast like a corporate restaurant chain. Remember you are on Vacation. The pool/beach drink service was average, they would walk by every 15min to 1/2 hour.

The mix of hotel guests was mostly families, mostly Americans from the east coast, some Hispanic, and European.

I hope this helps you make a more informed decision then I did.

• Liked — The Beach!!!
  • Disliked — Construction and Loud and Rude people from Jersey
7 Thank pucker003
Seaside Rental Southern Exposure
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I am surprised how many people have written positive reviews about this place, as some of my complaint are resort wide. First the renovations are bothersome. We lost use of our balcony for 2 days due to painting and we weren't compensated at all. At first our room was over the atrium, the noise at night was unbearable. They moved us to the tower. Our children's room had no air conditioning and was not fixed till the next day.. Our last night, our toilet started overflowing and they never came to fix it. At the pool we had problems charging to the room. They beach help also rented our floats to other guests! Additionally, Aruba is not a lush, tropical island. It is a desert and once you got away from the resort was very depressing and barren. Best meals at Lighthouse, Amazonia, Casa Tua.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — service in hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank BethCameron
pennsylvania
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Aruba is a very beautiful island. We had a great family vacation and other than a few minor things at the Marriott we would definately stay there again.

The construction was well under way in the hotel lobby so this was a bit of a distraction having to use other doors and listening to the news but when it is complete it will be perfect. We did not have the best view and garbage was below our balcony from all the construction. We did take a picture of it and show it to managment so I hope they took care of it.

If you like adventure rent a jeep for a day and go explore the east side of the island. We went to the natural bridge but the best was the going to the natural pool. My kids 11 and 14 loved climbing the mountains in an open jeep. If you don't want to try this on your own you can go on a tour. Once at the natural pool you can get a chance to snorkel in very calm water and see plenty of tropical fish. A memory we will never foget.

The island is very expensive so stop and a grocery store for a few odds and ends if you bring kids since they like to snack during the day. We packed some snacks in our suite cases and it was a life saver.

I hope everyone that takes a family vacation to Aruba enjoys it as much as we did.

• Liked — Location of beach and pool
  • Disliked — Construction and View of room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank vacationneeded04
maryland
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Marriott Resort in Aruba. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. Everyone was incredibly friendly and and helpful. We ate our anniversary dinner at the hotel's Simply Fish which is located right on the beach, and everything was perfect, just the right amount of service for our very special night. I had some misgivings due to the construction, but it did not hinder our good time. The gift shop was a little pricey, but it seems that that is the case in Aruba in general. The beach was impecably clean and free of distractions except for one vendor hawking aloe lotion. We will be back in the future if possible.

• Liked — Great Staff and service
  • Disliked — Noise from construction
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank coolcounselordo
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We just returned from our honeymoon at the Marriott and had a fantastic stay. Any issues we had were minor annoyances if anything, and I'll mention them below. But I think it is only right to go through the good things first.

Good service started prior to us even getting there. They sent a lot of useful information via email that helped us plan our trip. I had several email discussions with the concierge and they were very helpful.

When we checked in, we were upgraded to a really fantastic executive suite on the front corner of the hotel. I'm not sure if we were upgraded because we were on our honeymoon or because I'm a Platinum member, but I wasn't about to argue. Basically we had ocean view out one window and pool/bar view out the other. The bathroom was huge and it also had a walk-in closet with one of the biggest in-room safes I've ever seen.

The pool area is very nice, but we spent the majority of our time on the beach, which is really beautiful. We were able to get a palapa (beach umbrella/table) every day, but getting one waterfront took some effort. The beach bar serves drinks and food at your table, and every afternoon they had a band for entertainment. I'd recommend renting ($5/day) one of the wave mats for a really relaxing float in the water.

The location of the hotel has it's goods and bads. It's the last hotel on the north part of the beach, which makes the beach a bit less busy than the other hotels further south. But it's also farther away from the clump of restaurants and stores that are closer to the Holiday Inn. This was fine for us, since we like to walk and didn't have a problem taking the 10 minute stroll to get to other things.

The casino is very nice, but I must say I was a bit irritated that they have decided to pull all poker tables, yet they continue to advertise that they do tournaments. You can however find $5 blackjack tables which was great for a cheapy gambler like me.

Maid service was fantastic. They kept the rooms sparkling clean and there was never a lack of towels.

The construction was not an issue for us. Yes, you will know it's there, but it did not inconvenience us at all. While we were there they started tearing up the lobby, but we were rarely in the lobby. We also rarely heard noise of any issue from the beach.

So here's some additional tips that may help improve your stay:
1) They offer in-room wi-fi, but at $14.95 a day that's pretty steep. They do however have a business center where you can use their PC's to access the internet for free for 20 minutes. This is mostly to keep people from hogging up the machines, and if nobody was around they probably wouldn't give you a hard time. If you really need to use your laptop and don't want to pay the fee, the McDonalds down the road offers free wi-fi. It's probably a 15 minute walk.
2) As mentioned above, we didn't have a problem getting one of the palapas, but if you want one of the waterfront ones, you have to get there no later than 7am. People line up early, get their palapa and set up their chairs, and then come back later. I think this is kind of annoying but we played the game like everybody else and my wife would run down there at like 6:45 to reserve ours.
3) The drinks at the beach bar are very good, and they have daily specials for 2 for 1 drinks. However, after spending a ton of money the first full day on drinks we resorted to buying a bottles of rum and coke from the "Shop and Go" and made our own. As you can imagine this is significantly cheaper. My suggestion is to bring with you a crushable cooler and some kind of container if you want to take this approach.
4) If for whatever reason you need to schedule a pickup at the hotel, make sure you indicate that it is the Marriott with the Stellaris Casino. For whatever reason a lot of people get confused between the Resort, Ocean Club and Surf Club.
5) The concierge is very good, so make sure you utilize them. We had them make our dinner reservations for us, which not only seemed to get us preferential reservations, but saved a little cash as well (when you make a local call from your room it's $1 for 3 minutes, but if you have the concierge do it there's no charge for the call)
6) We signed up for a "VIP Card" which gets you discounts at restaurants and other activities. Of course it's a ploy to get your info, but overall we probably saved about $50 in discounts.
7) They have a buffet onsite, but the Moomba Beach restaurant just down the beach does a really respectable breakfast buffet for only $9.95 per person, plus you can eat outside with your toes in the sand. We ate there twice.

Some annoyances (but nothing that would prevent me from going back):
- The TV in the room didn't work very well. This was a very minor problem since we weren't there to watch TV. It's huge though - must be something like a 48" flat screen.
- There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom. I don't think I need to elaborate why this is annoying.
- The prices in the hotel stores are astronomical. It's obvious that they are trying to discourage you from buying your own and want you to buy from the beach bar. As an example, bottles of liquor are actually more expensive than the prices at the sister Marriott next door (Ocean Club). Also a large bag of chips can go as high as $7. If you have unlimited funds then the beach bar is the way to go, but if not you can wander down the beach to stores or even other hotels for better prices.

All in all our stay was fantastic and we would love to go back.

• Liked — Location, beach, got to use my points for the stay
  • Disliked — Not much
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Reactor1966
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!