“Too much stress”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
“Too much stress”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here the week between Christmas and New Year's and knew the hotel was completely booked. Even so, we did not expect to have to deal with daily battles for a place to sit at the beach and at both pools. We even had a guest accuse us of stealing their pool chairs when the pool attendant had told us to sit in them. We also did not like the fact that our room was only made up once during our stay - even when we stayed out of the room for several hours each day and despite calling housekeeping and asking for the room to be made up. The pools and beach are pretty, the location is nice -at the quiet end of the strip of high rise hotels and easy to walk along the beach-and the ocean is lovely for swimming. But for $1000 a day you don't want to leave your vacation more stressed out than when you arrived. We will not be back.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room on the 6th floor of the North Tower. It was nice and spacious.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank WDCdweller
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear CapitalCityMom

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, I am however sorry that we failed you in our housekeeping, I will be sure to review your experience with our team. I am also sorry that you were not able to enjoy Aruba’s beaches to their fullest. You mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beaches are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. We do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season, but we do restrict the resort Palapas to resort guests only. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year, which has become very popular with our adult guests. Again thank you for your review it is very much appreciated.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,680)
Syosset, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I equate this hotel to the Starbucks vs Dunkin doughnuts debate. Both serve good coffee but Starbucks goes the extra step in service. This hotel is no ritz or four seasons or Hyatt. Some examples of lack of service is:
1. The cleaning lady came to make up our room at 855 am everyday even when she knew we were sleeping. We have 2 teenagers. Then she wouldn't make our room till 4 pm. Then she would return at 6 pm to do the turndown always when we are getting ready for dinner and then never come back even though she said she would. Very poor
2. The palapa waiting is a joke. People start lining up at noon for a 4 pm time. That is not very relaxing. The hotel should do a better job on allocation so we don't wait for hrs for a hut
3. My son wanted to play basketball and no balls were available for 6 days. They asked me to buy one at the store in the hotel. When I went there the balls were expensive and flat and they did not have a pump!! Do they expect me to carry a pump

Listen this hotel has good rooms and nice staff but that is a given when you pay 1000 dollars a day!! You expect them to provide more service. Will not return!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank stentdoc
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Stentdoc

Thank you for taking the time to give us some valuable feedback. I am however obviously disappointed and truly sorry that we missed the mark on a number of areas for you. I will certainly go through your points with our various department leaders so that we can learn from them. You mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beaches are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. We do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season, but we do restrict the resort Palapas to resort guests only. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year, which has become very popular with our adult guests. Again thank you for your review it is very much appreciated.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful Christmas week in Aruba. As we entered the Marriott Stellaris, we were greeted warmly by the Staff, and had a short wait at registration. The lady who checked us in was a stellar example of customer service. Our room was not quite ready, so she asked us if we would like to go to the bar for a complimentary drink. We barely finished our drink, and she came to let us know our room was ready. We were totally pleased as we entered our room, as it looked straight out into the ocean...breathtaking! We enjoyed that view throughout, and would sit on the large deck each morning enjoying our coffee. The sunsets were spectacular! We ate at most of the restaurants "on campus" and were pleased. We did have the chance to rent a palapa at the beginning of the week, but decided to wait until the end to do so, but by then all of the rentals were taken. Didn't bother us as we are sun lovers, but for the very fair skinned beware the Aruba sun can be brutal. We tried both pools,which were nice, but preferred the beach and never had any difficulty getting a chair. Took one Zumba water class and it was totally delightful! When checking out, the manager assisted us as there was a very short line and didn't want us to wait. She sets a good example for her Staff. Overall, a great experience particularly in the realm of customer service and friendliness. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank InternationalSuz
Dear Mamus92

Thank you for your lovely review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. Its sounds like you had a great Aruban vacation, thank you for spending it with us. You are right when you say the sunsets are spectacular, they really are stunning. I will be sure to share your comments with our team; they will be thrilled to read them. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Marriott. We were there with a large group and had the best time. The room was a great size and had everything you needed. I liked the walk in closet with plenty of hangers (the little things). Housekeeping (Nuris) was great and our room was always stocked and clean. The pool area was fun and beautiful. My fav place was the beach though. Loved spending the days out there. I really enjoyed the Caribbean Lovers Ritual at the spa. Just beware that they tack on a 20% service fee. I was told when I made our reservation, but was told it included the tip, but when leaving I luckily asked and the tip wasn't included so I was able to add one. So the 20% service fee went to what? Not exactly sure since I was already paying for a service. Lol. I go to lots of spas....20% to sit by a water fountain while waiting for my service seems a tad silly. The bar in the lobby is nice and lively in the evenings. The casino is fun. The sushi bar......well, for being so close to the ocean was disappointing. I say skip that, but everything else is good. I'm not a fan of buffets at all and their buffet breakfast was very good. I could have not had the timeshare sales calls waking me on my vacation, but that only happened the one time luckily. Everyone at the resort is super friendly, staff and guests. Aruba is my new favorite island.....and it certainly is a happy one!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mamalinzi

Thank you for your great review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. I am happy to hear you liked our rooms, as you mentioned they are a really nice size and the walk in closet is handy. You mentioned Nuris, who I agree is an absolute superstar. I am sorry however to hear that you did not enjoy our Sushi, I will be sure to review this with our culinary team. I will also pass along your feedback on the Spa to the owners of the Spa as they will appreciate receiving your compliments and concerns. Again thank you for your review it is very much appreciated.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I arrived Friday and got in at around 3 pm. The airport was nice. Everything was organized. Last minute I booked this hotel, hoping I won't be disappointed. Romea checked me in. I had asked for a nicer room since I got it last minute and no I got the second floor garden view. The room is big. For a solo traveler it's very nice. The bathroom is huge. I have my bathrobe and slippers which is very nice.
I was at the beach by 5 pm and saw the most beautiful sunset. Then I went to the lobby bar where I met the nicest bartender and wait staff. Jayna and Marites. Jayna attended to me with professionalism and pleasant. Marites was very accommodating and welcomed me. I had the Aruba Ariba drink and the mojito. Good job Jayna.
Next morning, I went early and got the lounge chair closer to the beach. It rained a couple of times but only for 5 minutes and then a beautiful rainbow showed up and after that it was sunshine all the way. I met Arsenio and Phoebe, Isabelo and Hermina, lovely employees. They are the big assets especially by the beach. Stayed at the beach all day. I have been to other Caribbean beaches and I am very impressed with the way they treat their guests.

I went to the beach bar and there I met more wonderful and friendly staff. Had the salad with Grouper. I recommend it. Delicious, fresh and big portion. Then had more Aruba Ariba, bushwhacker, and more. There I met Randolph who greeted me with a nice smile and asked me if everything was alright. He was very professional. Also met Jose. At the bar, I met Blanca, Jason, Carlos, Omar, Buddy, they have all been very nice, I highly recommend this hotel.
The only thing I noticed that needs attention was that when I was in the casino, there was a waiter that was a bit rude, he would ask the other customers if the want some drinks but passes me by and not ask me. I did not get a chance to get his name. Even the waitresses, they don't smile, making an impression that they don't like their job. I won a little bit :).

Well, I know that I will be booking my return to Aruba next year!!

5 Stars for The Marriott Aruba Resort and Stellaris Casino!!!

Thank you for a short and wonderful memories.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank maritez
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Maritez

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like your 2 nights with us was just what you were looking for, sometimes you just need to take a short break away. You commented on a whole bunch of our wonderful associates, and I will be sure to personally thank them for you. They will be thrilled to read your review. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Make sure to lounge at the Adult Pool (Happy Hour deals)! They have two great bartenders Jason Tromp & Christian Todaro. We will be returning to the Marriott next year!!! The location is amazing and the Casino is worth playing at night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John

Thank you for your lovely review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed our adult pool; it really is a tranquil spot and a perfect place to spend your vacation. You also commented on Jason & Christian who really are true professionals, and I know they will be thrilled with your lovely comments. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The marriott didn't disappoint again. As always the staff was helpful and courteous at this marriott like all the others. The rooms, common areas, lobby, restaurants, pool, and beach were all very well kept. The palapas are difficult to reserve but if you are motivated you can get up at 6:30 and wait in line you can reserve one for up to three days. We never did that and never got the best palapa but usually could grab one. If not, there are palm trees on the beach, just drab a few lounge chairs under the shade of the palm tree and enjoy. Overall a great hotel to stay at on Aruba.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brad H
Dear Brad

Thank you for your great review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like you had a lovely stay with us, and that you were able to totally relax on the beach. The soft white sand and warm ocean are a great combination. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!