“If you have kids, go elsewhere”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Milwaukee, Wisconsn
“If you have kids, go elsewhere”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked here thinking it was connected to the Surf Club, which is super kid friendly etc. The way it seemed online made us think that while they weren't physically connected, we could still go to the Surf Club since we were staying at the Marriott - not the case. This hotel is really not kid friendly and since we were traveling with our 2 year old, it wasn't a good fit. I think the hotel might be a good fit for couples or those traveling on business. The food prices here are very high though so I would recommend going the all-inclusive route instead. We have stayed at the Divi before and would have stayed there again but it was literally all booked.
Pros: Nice beach front and ideal location for being a little away from the action if you are looking for a more relaxing vacation. The breakfast buffet is fine but they don't change it at all from day to day. We also had an evening buffet there as well - which was alright but pretty pricey.
Cons: Not family friendly, expensive for what you get, 'ocean views' are not really such given the way the hotel is set up - if you are in a room at a certain angle you get a sliver of ocean from your room. The hut system they have is insane in my mind and a huge waste of time.

Essentially we weren't happy and wouldn't stay here again. A few tips I have about Aruba in general though:
-Rent a car before arriving and they will meet you at the airport and then meet you there upon your return to get the car. We went with Wheels2Go and we were super happy with them - $180 for an entire week of car rental, which is a great deal especially bc Aruba is very safe to drive in and explore so you'll want to use the car.
-Good places to eat are Flying Fishbone, Barefoot Flipflop, and Madame Janette. We have tried other places but those are our favs. Book your reservations before your trip and if you go to a place that offers beachfront make your reservation at least 1/2 hr before sunset is scheduled. So we would go at 5:30pm and then the sun sets at 6:15p...this is important because you want to get nice sunset pictures and once it's down, it's down for the night!
-Explore the island on your own! If you rent a car you can be on your own timetable and have some fun.
-Shopping downtown is fun and they have a new trolley that runs from 10am-5pm. Now keep in mind it's "island time" so when we went one day for the 10am trolley it came at 10:35, no joke.
-We have purchased numerous diamonds while in Aruba - Noble jewelers is the only place I trust there

Have a great time - I'm open to answer questions or help with trip stuff if you private message me your questions. Bon Bini!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank cms531
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Cms

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our resort. I am disappointed that our resort did not fit your needs, and I will certainly review our website for any mentions of the Surf Club, as you are right we are separate properties with different styles and our intention is certainly not mislead anyone. We do cater to many families throughout the year, but we do not have a kids club, so we are not a match for everyone. You also mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beaches are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. We do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season, but we do restrict the resort Palapas to resort guests only. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year, which has become very popular with our adult guests. Again thank you for your review, and even if you do choose to stay elsewhere on your next visit, I do hope you still get to enjoy our island and I am sorry that we were not what you were looking for this time.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,682)
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Normally I would not take the time to do a review of a vacation or of a particular resort but Marriott Stellaris is the exception. For starters the resort is consistent with the Marriott experience. By that I mean no expense is spared in creating a beautiful resort with all of the expected amenities and more. The staff is very friendly and I do not remember one staff member who did not speak or ask what they could do to make our stay enjoyable. Which brings me to why I am taking the time to write this review. On our first night we ate at the La Vista restaurant, we were waited on by Agustin. He took very good care of us all week long, from navigating the menu to giving pointers on the menu. I've been to a lot of five star restaurants but have never been made to feel as special as this waiter he is top notch. If you are making this trip and you go to this resturaunt do yourself a favor ask for Augustin for a great dining experience. We will go back thanks in no small part to Agustin.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russell S
Dear Russell

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort, it is very much appreciated. Your title did make me smile this morning “Best in Class”. Love it! It sounds like you had a great stay with us and I am happy to hear that Augustin made it happen for you in La Vista, he is certainly a superstar and I will be sure to personally thank him for you. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I returned to Aruba, where we went on our honeymoon 30 years ago. We chose the Marriott as our friends gave it rave reviews. We were more than delighted when after we checked in Dave at the front desk knew of our 30th anniversary and gave us a gift of delicious chocolate.
We walked around the beautiful grounds and had lunch at the pool. When we returned to our room to get ready for dinner, champange was waiting in our room, chilling with glasses. Dave at the front desk sent it up with congrats from Marriott.
We had a wonderful time, concierge desk so helpful with advice as to where to go and see the sights.
Remember to reserve your hut at the beach each night for the next morning...be there by 4PM to reserve.
Casino pretty crowded at night, try to arrive early to get best machines and tables.
Food delicious but pricey. Cafe in the lobby excellent choices along with a sushi bar.
Had a wonderful time, thank you Marriott....

Room Tip: Request room not near the elevator...if looking for balcony room, 4th floor and higher to see the oc...
2 Thank BenayD
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Benay

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our resort, it is certainly appreciated. Also Congratulations on your 30th anniversary, and thank you for choosing our resort for your celebration. You commented on Dave, who really is stunning at what he does, I will be sure to pass along your lovely comments. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 14, 2013

What can I say? This place is paradise. My fiance and I recently visited to plan our wedding. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is very accommodating. Simone, our wedding planner, took great care of us. She made sure that our trip was both relaxing and incredibly productive. We were able to spend a day bouncing back and forth between the pool and the beach. Both are fantastic. There is no shortage of activities or bars/restaurants in the resort. The Marriott is also within a 10-15 minute walk of countless other bars, clubs and restaurants. The rooms are spacious and clean with huge balconies. Great stay. We cannot wait to come back next year and stay much longer.

2 Thank Joe W
Dear Joe

Thank you for your great review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. I love the way you started your review: “Perfect” Love it! Also congratulations on your wedding, and thank you for trusting us with your special day. You mentioned Simone, who I have to say is exceptional at what she does. I will be sure to personally thank her for you. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was my first stay at the Aruba Marriott. It sits at the north end of the "High Rise" area of Aruba. It used to be the last high rise resort in the Palm Beach area but the new Ritz sits right next door and further north now. The reason I mention its location is that the entire high rise area has become overcrowded. Whereas, 20 years ago, when I first visited Aruba the beach was referred to as Fishermans huts area of Aruba because there were only a few hotels and the beaches were pretty pristine. Since then, one hotel after another has been built and palapas now dot the landscape as far as the eye can see and it seems to be "infested" with humanity. So by going to the "end" of the high rise area, you can still see what the beaches used to be like. The Marriott has two pools. The main pool was very noisy during the day. The adult pool was nice and quiet and tranquil. The rooms were clean and somewhat Spartan. The carpeting appeared very worn and tired. The bathrooms were clean and modern but with very amateurish grout work (yeah, I notice those things).

Pros: (1) right next to the pristine end of the beach; (2) 24 hour lobby café serving doughnuts, coffee, and sandwiches (came in very handy for quick breakfast); (3) beautiful and quiet adult pool; (4) clean rooms (5) Simply Fish restaurant was very convenient and had delicious food;(6) Close to shopping areas and many restaurants.

Cons: (1) most convoluted system for reserving palapas (if you're willing to pay for reservation then you can reserve a palapa for 3 consecutive days starting at 10:00 AM, but if you don't want to pay then you get in line for next-day reservations at 4:00 PM, and people actually got in line starting around 3:15) (2) 3 out of 8 days of our stay the adult pool closed at 3:00 PM for a private party. It seemed to me that I paid for pool privileges and I shouldn't be denied my fun because the Marriott wants to make even more profit. I've been to Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons in Maui and when they had private parties they only closed a part of the pool and NOT the whole pool. (3) overcrowded beach. (4) Nice high definition TV but with no high definition. Low def pictures stretched out to fit the TV screen is one of my pet peeves; (5) having to pay for internet. Come on let's be a little classy and provide free internet and free local calls. (5) In room safe positioned in such a way that you had to contort yourself to make sure you retrieved everything.

Overall (despite my complaints), we had a nice stay at the Marriott but we would probably opt to stay at the low rise areas next time where the beaches didn't seem overrun with palapas and people.

2 Thank Phloidee
Dear Phloidee

Thank you for your review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. You are right in saying that the island changed a great deal over the last 20 years. Aruba certainly has hotels to suit a variety of guest tastes, and I agree that our hotel is luckily situated on a pristine part of the beach. You mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beaches are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. We do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season, but we do restrict the resort Palapas to resort guests only. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year, which has become very popular with our adult guests. Again thank you for your review, and even if you do choose to stay elsewhere on your next visit, I do hope you still get to enjoy our island.

Berkshire County
Reviewed November 13, 2013

NOT SURE WHY THIS DID NOT GO TO Marriott Aruba Resort and Stellaris Casino BUT that is what this review is for and that is the link I clicked on. hotel was very nice. The adult pool was gorgeous and very zen like. The hotel's signature restaurant, lovely. Called Simply Fish, it is a white table cloth dining experience on the beach. Worthwhile and relaxing. We had ocean view pool side. Nice rooms, comfortable and lovely views. Service however was very good. Maid service, lobby bar and house managers very accommodating. We travel a bit and stay with Marriotts. The service was what you would expect in a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Marriott Stellaris Resort I would opt for adult pool room views. Though we had ocean views, the palm...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank coolchange5860
Dear Coolchange

Thank you for your excellent review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Adult pool, which really is a nice touch of Zen, very quiet. Thank you also for commenting on Simply Fish, it is one of my favorite restaurants, there is something special about dining with your toes in the sand. Priceless. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stay in Marriott hotels at least 50 nights a year and was very excited for our trip to Aruba. When we got to the hotel and were sent to the Tradewinds floor to check-in the staff member at the desk did what you would expect. She greeted us with a smile and asked "are you checking in? Name please" What seemed like a few minutes later her response was that "I don't see your reservation until next week and we are completely booked this week" Needless to say my wife and I were horrified. Luckily, we had a email copy of our reservation reminder from Marriott and presented said receipt.

It is at this point where sweet and lovely Reshma stepped in and saved the day...well week! Reshma took ownership of the scheduling mistake by the hotel and did everything she could to make up for the stress we experienced at check-in. Reshma was warm and very comforting and followed up with my wife and I the entire week we were there. She was able to upgrade us to a very special room facing the ocean where the sunsets were just amazing. I can't thank her enough for that! It really made us very happy.

The tradewinds food area was excellent and offered plenty of healthy choices. We were never hungry afterwards. Out of 6 nights we only ate 2 dinners outside of the trade winds floor. What I especially liked about the trade winds food area was the intimate feel and how easily it was to meet other guests. The view in the dining area is nothing to write home about and on the 8th floor but other than that it was great.

Most of our time was spent at the adult pool or beach. The adult pool was lovely and not over crowded. The ocean water was 83 degrees!!, and my wife and I spent at least 2 Sunsets literally bobbing in the calm, calm ocean with drinks in our hands. It was spectacular. There are virtually NO waves at the beach which makes for a bathtub-like experience!

All in all, I would definitely go back to this hotel and when I do will make sure I reach out to Reshma. She saved our vacation!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark C
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Mark

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our resort, it is certainly appreciated. It sounds like you really enjoyed our Tradewinds lounge; sometimes it is nice to treat yourself to a bit of adult luxury. I do however, have to apologize for the glitch on your arrival, it is certainly not the way you should have started your vacation with us. This said; I am happy to hear that Reshma was able to make it work; she really is one of our superstars, I will be sure to pass along your comments to her. Again thank you for your review (and some great pictures) and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#14 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!