“Great Place to Relax with Very Friendly Service”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We just returned from a week long stay at the Marriott Stellaris and would recommend it to anyone looking for some relaxiation. I would agree with all the other reviews that the service individuals are extremely nice and friendly that are not standing around waiting for their tip every time they do something for you (with the exception of just one waiter at the adult pool bar - he was just a little too expecting for my taste). The adult pool is the place to hang out for some quiet time, however, the whole putting your towel on chairs at 7:30 am is very annoying and is one of the reasons I can't give this resort a perfect 5. The other reason is our specific room location. Our door faced the inteior hallway directly above the lobby & snack bar area. We could clearly hear all the buzz going on down at the 1st floor and every chair that was pushed across the floor. I inquired about moving our room and they told me they were 100% booked which I didn't believe since you didn't see a whole lot of people moving around inside and outside of the facility.

My suggestion for those hanging out at the pool all day is tip the bartender $10 right off the bat and he will work with you during "happy hours" by holding your 2 for 1 purchased drinks until you ask for them. This probably saved us a couple hundred dollars over the week long visit and amount of time we spent at the adult pool.

We would recommend dinner at Simply Fish & La Vista (especially the seafood night) and while some people might complain about the price - it was well worth every penny !!!

Overall we were very satisfield with the resort because we were looking for relaxation. This is not the place for a group to party - just nothing very exciting going on. Down the beach are a couple bar hangouts and it's very easy to walk back to your hotel on the beach at night so save yourself a few dollars on cab rides.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room where your door faces the hallway immediately above the lobby
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear RSchu

Thanks for taking the time to write your review of our hotel, I am happy to hear you had a relaxing vacation. You commented on the friendliness of our associates, thank you for this comment. I am very lucky to work with such a great team and I know they will appreciate your kind words. You also mentioned some areas for us to work on, and I will certainly go through them with our team. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to find you a different room; it is always difficult when we are so busy. Due to the size of our resort, it may not feel busy (which is nice); however we have never been busier so it does present challenges in changing room types. Thank you again for your great comments, and apologies for the bits we missed. I hope I get to welcome you back to Aruba soon.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Write a ReviewReviews (6,050)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just attended a great wedding at the Marriott while in Aruba. Everything was perfect for this wonderful ,young couple . The property is right on the ocean and is beautifully kept.The staff is very helpful and did everything they could to make the 65 guests attending the wedding happy and comfortable .The time we spent there wasperfect and this property is atrue paradise.

Room Tip: You do not spend much time in your room so house standard is fine . Their handicap rooms are also be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear rdh105

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, I have to say the wedding you attended really did seem to be fun, lots of fun, and I am happy to hear you also had a great time. Thanks again for your wonderful review, and I hope we get to welcome you back to Aruba soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We got to spend 2 weeks in Aruba from April 20th to May 3rd. We were celebrating a milestone birthday for me and our 35th wedding anniversary. This was our 10th visit to the island since 1990. We are already booked for 2014. This hotel, the rooms, the staff and service were exemplary. We have stayed at another major US hotel just up the beach from the Marriiott but have returned to this hotel the last 6 trips. It has something for everyone. While sitting on the beach everyday, we witnessed perfect sunsets, weddings being performed, family reunions and honeymoon couples and had great conversations with repeat visitors. It is not uncommon to meet people who have been coming back to the island every year for the last 20 or 30 years. You can be a vegetable on the beach, walk to the mall, shops, restaurants, 2 great movie theaters, water shows and an array of water sports all steps from the hotel. The hotel offers a variety of dining that will accommodate all budgets. It is worth the splurge to eat at SIMPLY FISH. This restaurant has improved 1000% in the last year. You can explore town, horse back riding, jeep excursions, golf, cruises to snorkel all arranged by the concierge or hotel staff will point you in the right direction to catch a bus right outside the hotel entrance. Cabs are always available to take you to some incredible restaurants that are a little too far to walk to. A new addition on our last two visits is the adult only pool. It is a huge hit. The gym and morning classes for aerobics and zumba that are held in the main pool are so good that you don't mind working out on your vacation. We have been very fortunate to have visited many islands, none have as much to offer as Aruba. I am still missing the HAPPY ISLAND and can not wait to return. It is like going home.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms because of the balconies. It is personal preference on which view you want.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Deby

Thanks for your wonderful review, and thanks for trusting us with your vacation every year, your loyalty is truly appreciated. I do agree with you on the sunsets, they are magnificent. About once a week, my family and I spend the early evening playing on the beach while the sunsets, it is a perfect time to enjoy the view. You also mentioned Simply Fish, and I am sure the team will be delighted to read your comments; they have spent a great deal of time reinventing the experience and it sounds like it is making an impact. Thank you again for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family includes forty somethings, twenty somethings and even under tens and everyone had a completely wonderful experience. The staff was devoted to personal attention from a smile at any hour to addressing actual needs and concerns. We booked a premium oceanfront room and it ended up being on the 6th floor on the Southern side (away from the construction). The view was breathtaking. Noise within the hotel was never an issue. Now, noise, i.e. live entertainment or water aerobics from the pool area could indeed be very loud so if that is a concern, make sure you inquire with the front desk about a quieter location.

After reading reviews about reserving palapas (the tiki umbrella/ tables on the beach), I was a little concerned about the process. The first question in my mind was, do you really need one? Well the answer is not really but... beware of the Aruban climate. It is soooo pleasant with the hot sun but the cool breeze, you really don't realize how much it takes out of you. I lived in South Florida for a longggg time but it's not the same. By day 5 I realized that I was getting dehydrated and needed to start on the Gatorade. Having said that, if you intend to spend the entire day at the beach then you should probably make an effort to reserve one.

How do the reservations work? Fifty percent of the palapas are dedicated to paid reservations and the other fifty to free reservations. In order to obtain a free reservation for the next day, one needs to stand in line about an hour ahead of the "zero hours" = 7am & 4pm on any given day. When we tried to pay for a reservation on a palapas close to the water we discovered that they had already been taken at least a week in advance. So the answer is, if you don't want the hassle of waiting in line, pay to reserve what you want in advance. In spite of all of our good intentions, we never did manage to reserve either a paid or free palapas and the fact is, it really didn't phase our vacation one way or another. The hotel staff will set up your chairs for you in an open beach space and when we got tired of playing in the ocean we would retreat to the pool. When we went, one month after peak season, we never had a problem finding the number of chairs we needed by the pool and over time learned to try to get a couple under an umbrella and a couple out in the open.

There are plenty of activities to try on the ocean. We did the wave runners and paddle boarding but other businesses on the beach also offer parasailing, boat towing i.e. an inflatable raft, couch, etc. There were snorkeling and scuba tours that left from the hotel in addition to land-based tours. After doing some research, we decided to rent a Jeep for 24 hours and do our own tour but seeing the sights ended up taking longer than anticipated. You really need to rent a car for 48 hours if you want to hit all of the highlights on the island. We climbed up Hooiberg Mountain, snorkeled (after renting equipment from the Marriott) at Baby Beach (which was gorgeous when we went but I heard is not so great during peak season), and visited the Canyon Rock formations (ho hum). On another day, two of our party took a cab northbound to where the tour buses were parked and did some snorkeling there. They had a great time and came back with a couple of treasured sand dollars that they had managed to find.

We also used the Jeep to stop at Super Foods grocery store to pick up some milk, cereal, cheese and crackers for quick meals in the morning and pre-dinner snacks. Super Foods is about 1 mile south of the hotel and thus is possible to walk to, or take a quick cab ride to and from.

Cabs are plentiful and safe. They are used to tourists relying upon them for transportation even to the grocery store and they are also easy to catch when you're done at the store, no need to have them wait. We considered using the public bus system but at $2.30 pp/ rt, the cab was usually the most convenient & cost-effective method of getting around. We also used a cab to get from the airport to the hotel and back. It was again the most cost-effective method of transportation for our family.

As for restaurants at the hotel, I have written separate reviews of all of our Aruban restaurant experiences but in short, La Vista was terrific and a great option for our first dinner on the island after a long day of travelling; Simply Fish was haute cuisine and made the perfect finale dinner for our vacation; the Waves restaurant for lunch by the pool was convenient and delicious and the café in the hotel lobby was a good place for a quick breakfast or after-dinner treat. One night my husband and I went for a romantic dinner at Pinchos (see my separate review but in short: wonderful) and the left the boys to enjoy the room service and enjoy they did. So we have no complaints about the food at the hotel.

If there were anything we might think twice about: (1) the heavy smoke smell coming from the casino beginning in the afternoon was annoying and we wished they had giant vent to redirect the smoke out of the lobby and (2) that we had looked at the Surf Club only because of the lazy river that is available to their guests. We know our under tens would have really enjoyed that but had a wonderful time as it was.

The only true disappointment of the entire trip definitely had nothing to do with the Marriott. I was looking for the best frozen Pina Colada on earth and sadly, Aruba was not the place to find it. :( Mind you, we never did make it to the Playa Linda lobby bar which had great reviews on Trip Advisor for the best frozen drinks & bartender in town. So overall, I would have to say that the Pina Coladas at La Vista, while a wee bit on the weak side, were the tastiest I experienced on the island.

To sum it up, the Aruba Marriott Stellaris was just what the doctor ordered! I actually miss it and with all of the places to visit on this planet I am shocked to say that I am considering a return visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in a premium oceanfront room on the sixth floor #610 and it was perfect, great view, doubl...
1  Thank JPDelaware

Dear JP

WOW – It sounds like you had a great time, wave runners and paddle boarding, very nice. I have to say I do love to take my kids out on a paddle board when I am off, it really is good fun. You made so many great comments and recommendations about our resort and Aruba that I cannot respond to them all, but I do want to thank you for your fair and balanced approach, it was a great read which I am sure will help many future guests.

Thanks

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Stellaris. The check-in process was seamless and easy. Our room was very large and very nicely appointed. The bathroom is well appointed and exceedingly spacious. The fitness center is top notch and its staff is wonderful. We only ate one meal at the hotel but really enjoyed our meal on the beach at Simply Fish.

Drawbacks -- having to wait in line to reserve a pagoda on the beach. I think it is egregious that the Marriott charges guests - who are already paying a hefty nighly room rate - to reserve a pagoda. The adult pool is very nice but should be enlarged so that's available to more people. There a limited number of seats and they are generally taken by mid morning. Lastly, we found a small number of the staff, especially the concierge staff, to be surly and disinterested in assisting guests.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are well worth the extra expense.

Dear BWhite

Thanks for your review. You are right about our rooms, we are very lucky to have such a great room product, and yes they are very spacious. You commented on Simply Fish, and this is certainly one of my favorite spots, you can’t beat dining by the ocean with your feet in the sand. Of course you also mentioned a couple of points for us to work on as well, and I will certainly take them on board. You mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beach’s are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. I do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year which you did mention and has become very popular with out adult guests. Again, thanks for your review and your good constructive feedback; I will certainly address these areas.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our family of four just returned from a week long stay at Marriott Aruba Stellaris and can honestly say that we have NEVER stayed anywhere where everyone from the maid service to the pool staff to the lobby cafe employees were anything but smiling, friendly people. As we enjoyed happy hour by the pool each day, we got to know Jasmine and Mergy and they always had a smile for us and remembered us by name. They even got to know what drink we wanted to order. As we would go past the maid carts each day, they all greeted us with a good morning, or good afternoon and made us truly feel welcome. Aruba's nickname is "One Happy Island" and that certainly applies to the staff at Marriott Stellaris.

The pools are spacious and offer two experiences. The adult pool is very quiet and relaxing with padded lounge chairs. Towels are provided there by the attendants. The same drink specials apply to the adult pool bar and the staff is very accommodating in providing you with anything you need. The family pool has a swim-up bar, volleyball net and music starts playing as the bar opens to add to the festive atmosphere. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs, but you do need to go down earlier to get an umbrella, which is much needed in the Aruban sun.

The rooms are spacious and have very nice balconies. The bathrooms are large with double sinks and a walk-in closet. Our only complaint with our room was the thin pillows. If you like thicker ones, ask for extras. They will happily bring you more. Maid service was very efficient. We never had to wait to have our room cleaned and were always brought plenty of towels.

The lobby cafe is great for snacks, breakfast, lunch or a bedtime gelato. It is open 24 hours and was used daily by our family. They have everything from cookies and pastries to paninis and wraps.

We were very pleased with our stay at Marriott Stellaris and on future visits to Aruba, we will certainly be back.

1  Thank McGraths502
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear McGraths502

Thank you so much for your “Happy Review”, it certainly sounds like you and your family had a Very Happy Vacation. You are correct in saying that the hotel team always has a smile for you, I really am very lucky to work with such a great team. You mentioned Jasmine and Mergy, who are truly exceptional at what they do; I will make sure I swing by to see them today to pass along your great comments. Thanks again for your lovely review and I will look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Decided to stay at this Marriott for a quick weekend vacation before my friend started a new job. We usually stay at the Radisson, but since my friend is a Marriott rewards member we settled on this hotel. Our room was nothing short of beautiful and relaxing. We were checked in fast and efficiently and also got upgraded to a Jr. Suite. (see pics attached). The property in my opinion was immaculate. The staff was very kind and attentive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Natty

Thanks for your review, it is very much appreciated. It looks like you got a great upgrade. It is always nice when this happens. Our team does try and do as many upgrades as possible, however it is so difficult to do most days as our occupancy’s are typically very high. Good for you to get the Junior Suite, as your pictures show, it has a great view. Thanks again for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aruba soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4 mi away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!