“Nice people and pleasant environment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
New York, New York, United States
“Nice people and pleasant environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have stayed in a lot of hotels before but this marriot presents a cut above all of them. The ladies at the reception desk are very pleasant and welcoming, seeking to meet your every need and to make your stay as comfortable and memorable as possible. The wedding coordinator at my son's wedding at the beach was very efficient and made the after party a thing to remember. We met som more efficient staff at the buffet restaurent and in the cafe on the beach. Our room on the eight floor was the best. Thank you Marriot and best wishes

Room Tip: the eight floor has the best view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gladstone G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,539)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband & I went to Aruba for our 1 year anniversary/honeymoon. I loved everything about it! The people were friendly, food was delicious, music was great! (lots of salsa & merengue)-being that I'm from PR, I was dancing the nights away! Eagle beach was the best!! Unfortunately Palm Beach, the beach where this resort is, is not so great. The water was really cloudy-couldn't see your feet in shallow water. Being that it's the caribbean, I was expecting crystal clear blue waters. I assume it's all the boats, jet skis, etc. polluting the water AND all the people getting into the water with suntan oils & sunscreen lotions-being that it's a small area that is roped off for people to swim in. At Palm Beach, if I went into the water, it was on a floating mat (which the resort provides for free). I did not want my feet to touch the ocean floor because it was mushy & almost slimy. So, I would highly recommend Eagle Beach! It was amazingly beautiful!! Just what I expected, crystal clear blue, calm waters & not so crowded like Palm Beach because it's further away from all the resorts. Although, it is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Marriott. We took a cab, about $10. The check-in was nice. We were greeted with some refreshing tropical drinks & a tray of fresh fruits were sent up to our room. We had a partial view of the pool which was OK because we spent all our days on the beach until sunset.

As for the resort, I will say that they tried to offer us the "Tradewinds" all you can eat-it was approx. $110pp/per night. We calculate that we wouldn't end up spending that much on food & drinks, which we didn't. Also, you can only eta & drink at the Tradewinds club which was on another floor. It was an inconvenience. It limits you & it's expensive. We had all you can eat breakfast at Moomba's bar & grill for $10/pp (it's walking distance from resort). We had lunch at the pool bar, which we ended up ordering one entree & sharing it because they serve such large portions (the cuban sandwich was good!). For drinks, we bought a few bottles of liquor at the duty free in the airport which saved us some $$ & we went to all the happy hours for 2 for 1 drinks (The Miami Vice at the pool bar is GOOD!). We did splurge on dinner. We went to several restaurants which we recommend; Gianni's Italian (recommend the Sangria & Shrimp scampi), Tango Argentine Grill *recommend the grilled chorizo (both on the mains trip), Simply fish (on the beach at the resort-highly recommend the banana coconut cake!) and Flying Fish Bone (it's about a 30-45m cab ride, approx. $35-40) but SO WORTH IT! I recommend the Peruvian ceviche and chocolate ravioli (I will write more reviews on the restaurants).

For transportation, we took the public bus which stops outside the front of the resort. It's about $1.10 for 2 people and it drops you off right on the main strip where you can walk to all the shops, bars & restaurants. If you want to travel around the island, rent a car but if you're staying within the resort area, take the local bus. It's safe & the people are friendly & helpful. On the late night outs, we took a cab back because the bus stops running around 9-10PM. The only thing I will say about safety is for the ladies, if you're going with a group of girlfriends, just stick together at all times. That goes for anywhere but because of what's happened in the past in Aruba, just be aware & watch out for each other.

For the tours, we did the following: Jolly Rancher Pirate Cruise (lots of fun-good snorkeling, good food & drinks, and a swinging rope!), Paddle boarding (great workout-must have good balance & coordination) If you've been kayaking, this will be easy. And we did a tour to baby beach (another beautiful beach with good snorkeling), rock formations (spotted the 1st blue lizard), and the Natural pool, which I was not too impressed. I mean, it's a beautiful view but the water on that side of the island was ROUGH. Even though the natural pool is surrounded by huge rock formations that break the powerful waves, I did not feel safe. Especially when we didn't have life vests & one of the waves that crashed into the natural pool pushed my husband away while he was snorkeling. Luckily, he's a good swimmer & doesn't panic & was able to swim out of it. The ride to the natural pool was an adventure in itself. It's a very bumpy, rocky ride but it was fun & we saw lots of sheep running around.

The best time to go to Aruba is Sept.-Oct. which is considered low season. We ended up being the only ones on the tour so we got a private jeep tour of the island :) The temperature was perfect, about 85 degrees weather, no rain but very windy-no humidity.

All in all, we would definitely go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank svwc
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am writing this while still at the hotel. So far everything has been as per our expectations. Our room was not ready when we got here but I can say it was worth the one hour wait to get it. We had booked a premium ocean view room and that's what we got. Unrestricted views to the ocean n beyond.
Beverly at reception is a gem and has been helpful. She has been able to answer most of those 1st day questions which most of us have. Will update when out trip is over

Room Tip: Ask to see which room u r being given on the map. we did as an earlier writer had written
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

First time to Aruba and loved everything about it.Went for a quick 4 day/3 night weekend getaway.Loved the Adult pool,the cabanas were very inexpensive for the day.The next day we reserved a Palapa on the beach.The restaurant Simply Fish located on the beach at the hotel was a great experience,try to get a sunset seating reservation.All in all this hotel was great for couples but would not bring my kids fearing they would be bored...

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean Front not Ocean View
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Craig S
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

For the past two years or so,I have been looking for the perfect Aruban holiday at the perfect price for our first trip to the island. Aruba is not an inexpensive place, so when I saw a terrific deal for a week's stay at The Marriott Aruba Resort and Stellaris Casino with direct non-stop flights from Boston on Jetblue Getaways....we jumped on it. The hitch, of course, was that we would be staying in a "construction view" room. As it turned out, construction of the new Ritz-Carlton next door never really became an issue.Sure, we didn't have a full-on ocean view, but we did have a partial, along with warmth, sunshine, and island breezes.The room was spacious and cleaned impeccably each day. The balcony was large, and even with the construction( now mostly interior work) it was a great place to enjoy a coffee and pastry in the morning. The property itself is lush and beautiful, and well cared for. It must be said that we are not "stay at the beach all day" people. We were easily able to get chaise lounges when we wanted them around the pool and at the beach. I did see people waiting in line at various times for the thatched palapas on the beach though. The Stellaris Casino at the resort was fairly larger than most casinos in the Palm Beach area........and believe it or not, we did win cash on several occasions! The breakfast buffet was very good albeit a tad pricy. Finding a place to easily walk to and have a simple meal is not particularly easy, but walking the beach pathway to the Hyatt Resort area is very pleasant and there are a wide array of very good restaurants there. Cabs are always easily available from the Marriott but, make sure that you rent a car for at least two or three days to really get a sense of what the island is all about.( we encountered a herd of ten or twelve goats at a rotary.....what a hoot!) Hertz has a rental desk in the lobby of the resort. All in all, it was a wonderful pre-Christmas holiday, and I would most certainly go back..........if the price was right....... So many places.....so little time!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay here for our babymoon. The views from our hotel room were magnificent. The hotel is shaped like a horseshoe with the open part facing the ocean. It seems that almost any room in the hotel has a great view of the pool and the ocean. The sunsets were magnificent everyday. We used the adult pool daily and we noticed that you really needed to wake up early in order to obtain a pool chairs by the pool. I woke up at 6am daily to run down and reserve chairs for me and my wife. The room was beautiful and spotless, however, we requested a king sized bed and only got 2 queens. The hotel was able to accommodate us with a king sized bed, but only on the 2nd night. We paid for internet daily, which sort of seemed like a rip, but I cannot live without internet access. It seems that every room has a balcony. The food at the Vista Cafe by the pool was delicious. The breakfast buffet was also tasty, abundant with various different types of food, and very clean. I used the gym for a couple of days and there were plenty of treadmills and weight training machines. Hardly any free weights. The staff by the pool was extremely friendly and ready to serve drinks and lunch at a moment's notice. It was very easy to get around from the hotel as cabs were always available to take us wherever we wanted to go. It was only a $6.00 ride (+tip) to the local restaurants and shops. I highly recommend this place. Be prepared to pay, but remember, it's Aruba.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the middle of the hotel, directly above the lobby instead of off to the side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShubhaC
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just returned yesterday from the Marriot Stellaris. My first impression was that of disappointment. My husband immediately felt regret for not booking the Hyatt. The design and orientation of the lobby is similar to that of an airport terminal. Check-in was unremarkable with a general air of indifference and jadedness of the staff. The concierge do not smile and show no passion or excitement for their job. The few that I dealt with did not go out of their way to secure or confirm restaurant reservations. The one fellow seemed annoyed by our need to change a dinner reservation and just pointed to the big black book of restaurants. The rooms were spacious but lackluster. They only supply one bathrobe for a king room which clearly had two people. Yes, only a phone call to housekeeping but why?? The carpet was dirty looking and when we looked under the bed it was obvious that it had not been vacuumed between guests.- gross. The Hallway was very dirty. I never saw or heard a vacuum ONCE! The hut and chair situation is very corrupt during busy holiday seasons. All beaches in aruba are public but somehow the beach staff has some rules of their own. Im very glad I didn't listen to the hut manager and took an area which had no towels or any sign of "reservations" (which they unscrupulously take 25$ for) because the so called family never showed up. The beach was ridden with seaweed everywhere on the sand and in the water it was just very unpleasant. The management and staff need some intense training but in the meantime we will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family