“I Think We Found Our New "Go-To" Place in Aruba”
Review of Madame Janette

Madame Janette
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2016

We have been to Aruba about 3x now and have eaten at some great restaurants. I think Madame Janette's may be our new "favorite". Everything we had there was just delicious, from the crab cakes to the sea bass, and the steak. Very attentive service and a wonderful Caribbean atmosphere. We always stay on the "high rise" side of the island, and used to travel to places like the Flying Fishbone to eat. I think everybody should try the experience of the Fishbone at least once, and more times if you are so inclined. For us, we may now prefer the much shorter cab ride and the wonderful food and service at Madame Janette's. We have tried to go here before but could never get in. We'll make reservations in advance next time to be sure it is on "the list" for dinner reservations.

1  Thank AdirondackKid
Write a ReviewReviews (6,350)

Reviewed April 4, 2016 via mobile

We've been coming to Aruba for 8 years now and have tried many restaurants over the years, but never to made it to the acclaimed Madame Janette's until this year. We've heard from countless people how great it is, so we were anxious to finally get there. They have a nice, quaint backyard setting. We were seated right next to the gazebo where they had a guitarist and a singer. That was a nice touch. The food was good, but not exceptional. The menu is quite extensive. I'm sure anyone could find something of interest. My only complaint, was the service. My wife and I are very accustomed to "island time", and we actually appreciate being forced to slow down, but MJ's took that to a new level. We experienced long periods of down time between courses. For example, after we finished our desserts, we waited over 20 minutes for the waitress to check on us, so that was roughly 30 minutes after delivering our desserts. It was too slow even by island-time standards. I will say that our desserts were excellent!

So overall it was a good meal, but we've had many better experiences than this. I'd return if invited to go with other people who wanted to try it, but I'll probably opt for some my other preferred restaurants before returning to MJ's. Barefoot, Quinta Del Carmen, Passions, Matthew's, Ricardo's, and Ike's Bistro have all been better experiences for us.

1  Thank Jeff R
Reviewed April 4, 2016 via mobile

Exceptional food -- great taste, beautiful presentation, large portions. Large outdoor space with cozy lighting and pretty table settings. Soft live dinner music in the background. Quick seating and service -- not rushed. Brought 2 teenagers and they both enjoyed their selections from a large menu. Went 2 times during our stay -- could have gone every night but felt I wouldn't experience diversity of other places -- toss that idea out -- Madame Janette's menu is large, diverse, and ooooooooooh so yummy!!! Went to Chalet Suisse which was also top on Trip Advisor but they are a faaaaaaaar second. Truly, our family of four LOVED every bite! Back in NJ and already missing Madame Janette's! Will definitely go back again and again!!!!!!

1  Thank Karzy16
Reviewed April 4, 2016

Loved this place! Make reservations it can get busy. Great food and large portions. Nice wine list. Really enjoyed our dinner

Reviewed April 3, 2016

When we first entered the dining area, we were surprised at how large it was. Still very lovely, but not quite the intimate courtyard experience as at Quinta del Carmen. The food, however, was excellent. Had the Bang Bang Shrimp, Sea Bass special and Burgerloin. All were delicious.