“Above Average Dining - a few problems”
Review of Madame Janette

Madame Janette
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This was our first time at MJ. The atmosphere was wonderful and the food was very good. We ordered crab cakes as an appetizer, but I've had much better...we live a Florida therefore good seafood isn't hard to find. We also ordered a shrimp casserole appetizer and it was excellent.

My husband and I dined with our daughters, 8 and 11, and the restaurant will accommodate children by offering smaller portions at a lesser price. If you have other options, I would suggest not bringing the children. My kids did not really appreciate the atmosphere...understandable. The entrees were great and the mixed drinks were the best and strongest that we had during our entire stay on the island.

Now for the problem... we had an inside table(although none of the tables are truly inside) and we were eaten alive by the mosquitoes under the table. We complained to our server and he immediately offered us a can of areosol "OFF" insect repellent, which tells me this is probably a frequent problem. We were somewhat uncomfortable spraying, if you are not familiar with OFF it has a very strong smell and does not go well with dinner. We were desperate so we ended up using it.

The bill was approx $190 including tip. Not bad for appetizers, drinks, and entree. Just watch out for the mosquitoes.

1  Thank Wanda J
Write a ReviewReviews (5,762)

Reviewed June 27, 2008

We've come to Mme. Janette's every year. But two years ago we found the service "iffy" and far too fast-- please, can we finish our appetizers before you bring the entrees? Last year the same thing happened, even though we told our server to please relax and let us do the same.
Some people call this the best restaurant in Aruba-- I have to assume that they've never been to Le Dome, which has to be one of the best restaurants in the world.
Mme. Janette's has the garden setting, which is lovely and romantic, but the romance is cut a bit when you feel like they're trying to move you in and move you out.

3  Thank janet488
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Went for our honeymoon with some friends and ate here: best restaurant we went to in ARuba, hands down. Frommer's only gave it two stars, and I can't imagine why!! Great service, amazing atmosphere, great food. We are sort of foodies (I know that's annoying) and this was right up our alley. WILL NOT DISAPPOINT!

1  Thank Traveler1130
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We loved our dinner! Everything from appetizers to dessert was fantastic.

Reviewed May 21, 2008

Every restaurant should live up to its reputation like Madame Janette's does. So often a place that is highly praised ends up disappointing, but not here. Service, atmosphere and food are all first rate. Entertainment by a guitar player and vocalist completes a wonderful dining experience. the menu is varied and extensive, with offerings that include Austrian-German choices, steaks, seafood, caribbean, etc. Portions are very large and most people seem to leave with leftovers. I don't think any trip to Aruba would be complete without dining here. Do make a reservation since it is very busy even in off season.

1  Thank SEAPOINTER