“Second time was better.”
Review of Smokey Joe's

Smokey Joe's
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The first time, I thought it was just okay, but that could've been because I wasn't eating meat at the time...

We walked by at around 6 and asked the manager when they usually got busy. She said around 7:30 so we told we'd be back before then and went to gamble a bit. Time got away from us and we arrived at 7:40, right in the middle of their dinner rush. My husband put our name in and we were told the wait was 20 minutes. We walked back to our hotel to grab a cardigan for me and when we got back, my husband checked in again. She had already called our name, but was super, super sweet about it, and told us the next two-top would be ours.

We were seated at the bench near the sidewalk and just an fyi for those who care, tables are very close together. We ended up chatting with couples at both tables on either side of us just because we were that close to them.

We got a full slab to split ($6 upcharge for sharing, but you got to add 2 more sides) and we got fries, slaw, and rice and beans for our sides. After we put our order in, the table next to us got served and I saw the woman receive a small portion of baked mac and cheese and fries. I, being 11 weeks pregnant, immediately had to have that mac and cheese. We asked our waitress if we could order a side and she explained it was actually a kid's meal. It was $6 and we added it to our meal, thinking it would cancel out the plate sharing fee since it, technically, it a second meal.

The food took around 10-15 minutes and the ribs were pretty good! Meaty and saucy. The rice and beans were amazing, but the slaw and fries were just okay. The mac and cheese. Oh, the mac and cheese. It was so, so delicious and we were glad we ordered it. I'm going to hunt the recipe down.

Our bill, one full slab, two cokes, mac and cheese kid's meal, and the $6 sharing charge (kid's meals don't count as a second meal...boo) came out to around $30, no automatic gratuity.

Very easy, cheap, filling meal. Will def visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,117)

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

I get it....every place in Aruba is expensive when it comes too food especially around the tourist areas, but the ribs are actually very good. We ordered the combo for two which only cost $40...which is a good price. Only reason this place got four out of five was because of the atmosphere...nothing fancy.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Smokey Joe's was a short walk from our hotel on the main 'strip'.
It was very busy so clearly very popular, and this was evidenced when you tasted the food - which was fantastic. Would definitely recommend the combo meals - the pulled pork and pulled chicken was out of this world.

It took a little while to be served due to how busy it was so would probably suggest that if you're in a rush perhaps try somewhere else. Furthermore, you are seated in an outside setting so no luxury of air-conditioning, and it can be a little noisy from the passing traffic but it's to be expected - what you see is what you get.

Overall, the food was really tasty and was good value for money.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

The food tasted amazing, but one member of our party got food poisoning that night and was sick for a couple of days. We will never go back--it's not worth the risk. We all ate the same food that day except for our dinner entrees. Beware their seafood!

2  Thank Whit2014
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Had dinner on Thursday night here with Smokey Joes and we really enjoyed it! My wife got ribs and they were awesome! I had the jerk chicken and it was spicy but delicious! Good service, friendly prices, felt like home! Good job guys, keep it up!