“Terrible restaurant, sub-par show” 1 of 5 bubbles

and up
Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show at The Old Cunucu House Restaurant (Palm Beach 150) Experience beautifully composed, orchestrated, and arranged music with wonderful romantic lyrics made famous by singers like Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, Harry Connick, Jr. And others sung by Aruban vocalist Fred de Jong and gave an enchanting evening. This show will provide you with a taste of Aruban native hospitality and an atmosphere that is enchanting, cozy, and romantic. Order local food and delicious drinks while watching the Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show or ask for a dinner special. The dinner show with live entertainment is held every Thursday from 7:30 - 9:30 pm. Ticket is only $15.00 For persons from 13 years up and $7.50 For children of 12 years and younger (Food & drinks, transportation, gratuities not included). This Show gives you an excellent opportunity to explore the local Aruban food and ambience. Enjoy an enchanting Sinatra Show featuring Fred de Jong with songs such as "Fly Me To The Moon", "I've Got The World On A String", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "My Way", "New York - New York", "The Way You Look Tonight" and many more... What is an Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show experience like? The show is set at a traditional Aruba restaurant in a separate area with capacity for 40 people divided over about 15 tables. The food is native Aruba cuisine which has been influenced by colonial Spanish, French, and Dutch cuisine and is served in a 150 year old refurbished farm house. The dress is casual evening attire. The restaurants is old style where orders are taken on paper not computers. My goal is to provide our guest with an intimate setting where our guest can relax and interact with me instead of a large impersonal Las Vegas style show room. I have selected beautiful and romantic arrangements that are pre-recorded. This gives the feel of an big band / Orchestra but allows me to offer the show at a much lower cost. I do not try to mimic the commercial recordings of Sinatra but instead offer my interpretation of Franks relaxed and informal live style. The show is about 2 hours which gives you time to order and enjoy your food and drinks during the show without arriving early. The food is coursed over the evening as is typical in European restaurants where dining is an experience not just a meal. I think the music of the great American Songbook is special and worth preserving. Come let me share it with you in a special evening off the strip.
Houston, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Terrible restaurant, sub-par show”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was the most disappointing experience of our entire trip to Aruba. Horrible, slow and inattentive wait service, unremarkable high-priced food, and low-quality music show in a run-down venue. We were especially let-down because of the rave reviews by previous visitors.

Tables were served in the order of who was closest to the patio door, not who was seated first (we arrived 25 minutes early and did not even get water until 30 minutes after being seated, while other tables - seated after us - enjoyed their wine and food). One table stormed out without paying after getting fed up; other tables sent patrons into the restaurant to complain to a manager, but got nowhere.

The restaurant is located off the main road, in a ragged residential area (stray dogs in the street, chickens crowing, falling down houses, etc.). The show occurs on the back patio, which is really a paved alley surrounded by cinder block walls. There was a plywood stage, and decorations included Christmas lights, plastic flowers on the table, and wires drooping from the trees – nothing at all like Vegas (as implied by other reviews).

We were served iced water after sitting for 30 minutes, our waiter reappeared to ask for our food/drink order after 45 minutes, and the food came out slowly. Once it arrived, it was unimpressive – definitely overpriced compared to what you could get at the resorts for the same price. We ended up asking for our check before the show was over, and our waiter suddenly showed up at our table – and got confrontational! He pestered us about why we would want to leave, and why we would be unhappy with the service. I tried reasoning with him, but he got a bit aggressive and stormed away. We were at least the 5th table to complain about the service that night, so I guess it got to him.

Do not waste your time and money!!!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank David H
FreddeJong, Owner at Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear valued guest,

We are very sorry that our dinner show has been the most disappointing experience of your trip to Aruba.

The show started one year ago and it has been growing ever since, which has not always been easy for this local of the strip but cute Old Cunucu House Restaurant and their staff. But I am very grateful to them to be the Host of my show, because it is not easy to find a venue who is prepared to do this on Aruba anymore. Because Aruba is such a small tropical island, shows have to operate on a small scale like our show.

I can imagine and understand that for some people it might be disappointing and even horrible, if they are costumed to places in the USA where the service is set for people who don't want to waste too much time sitting in an authentic local restaurant listening and watching a show for two and a half (2 1/2) hours. I know many shows are much shorter.

And I also know that some of the younger staff might even be a little shy, which could be confused with inattentiveness but this is not the nature of Arubans.

If people want to check out the menu prices first, it is possible to look it up on the restaurant website before making a reservation.

we are doing our utmost best to make sure the quality and volume of the music are as enjoyable as possible and I am terribly sorry if it was not on that evening.

Because of the growing number of guest the last few weeks we went from the inside showroom to the outside back garden of the restaurant, which till now has been used for local parties and functions.

We received quite a few positive remarks about this, because a lot of people prefer to sit outside in a nice breeze and under the moon instead of the air-conditioned showroom inside. We allowed for this growth, because we know that many people are searching for something nice to do on Aruba, which is not easy to find.

We do not want to imply to be a Vegas like venue. The entrance prices would be five (5) to seven (7) times higher than our show and the show would need many more guests and income. Many shows like that on Aruba already went bankrupt or just stopped. I am very happy that some of our guest feel like being in a Vegas show on Aruba, which is a great compliment and I am very sorry if their reviews are so confusing, but I hope this explanation makes things a little more clear.

The small scale of the show gives me the possibility to give people more personal attention, which is very much appreciated by many guests.

I want to thank you very much for your very detailed review, which will give people who still want to attend our Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show a better awareness about advantages and disadvantages of our show.

Indeed service wise we are still struggling, but we are busy to reorganize this.
More training for the staff will be done.

I hope you will visit our Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show in the future and give it another try.

Best regards,

Denver, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Vegas in Aruba!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Forget about the casinos - treat yourself to a great Vegas show in Aruba. Fred knows how to work a room. We found this restaurant from an article in a local magazine and went there to get away from the tourist area. We arrived a little late, but found ourselves at the front table to see the show. Fred sang all the best Sinatra songs and even sang a few other of his favorites (including The Girl from Ipanema). The food was great - I had Stewed Conch and my wife had Keeshi yena - both local dishes and were delicious. We will remember this evening as the highlight of the trip. Thank you for a great evening, Fred!

Visited August 2013
FreddeJong, Owner at Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear valued guest,

I am very happy to read how our small one-man show made you feel like being in Vegas show in Aruba. Thank you very much for being such great guests. As a performer that is what you need to make a show great and to be able to work a room.

Most guests find our show on the internet so it was very nice to notice that an article in a local magazine tugged your sleeve to get away from the tourist area.

I am very honored that your remember this evening as the highlight of the trip. I am looking forward to welcome you back in the show next time you will visit Aruba.

Warm regards,
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best kept secret in Aruba”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Best kept secret in Aruba. Good value, food and entertainment. Sinatra tunes sung by a charismatic gentleman in a tux, who greets each guest. Entertainment charge of $15 pp and a reasonably priced menu. Every Thursday at The Old Cunucu House Restaurant, 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm. Best to be there by 7:00 pm, reservatons advisable.

Visited July 2013
FreddeJong, Owner at Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your short but informative review and advise. I hope to see you back soon.

All the best,
Pittsburgh,PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fred is the best!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Honestly I read what are cool things to do in Aruba and I came across Fred De Jong singing Frank Sinatra songs at the Old Cunucu House and wanted to check it out once I got there. We booked the show on July 25th. I was really excited, but I didn't know what to expect so I figured I would just wait and see. My fiance and I got there by taxi, (only $9 like all the taxis were everywhere we wanted to go LOL) place looked old school and elegant if that makes sense. We walked in and I immediately loved it. It was like the movies you see with people sitting at an old Italian restaurant, very quaint and romantic. After the woman sat us, Fred immediately came over and introduced himself, and told us his background on living in Aruba, (because Aruba is amazing and I could only dream of living there) and I thought, wow what a great guy coming over and talking to everyone who came to his show. He thanks everyone individually, how amazing is that? Anyways, he started the show and he is amazing! Very talented man, and I told him he should tour the country. :) Hope my review helped anyone, and if you are lucky to visit Aruba, you should definitely check Fred out.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed, loving and beautiful review. I will put your suggestions in my dreams, so they might come true one day. Also thank you for your nice recommendation.

Thankful regards,
Billerica, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Time at the Show!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've been a fan of Frank Sinatra for quite some time. I went to the show with my husband and my parents (who are also big Frank fans). Fred's show was great and we had a terrific time listening as he sang songs from different periods throughout Frank's long career. Fred walked around the room and talked with everyone. He's a excellent entertainer and the food was delicious, we will definitely be visiting again. Thanks Fred!

Visited July 2013
FreddeJong, Owner at Aruba Sinatra Dinner Show, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear valued guest,

I am always happy, amazed and thankful to be able to entertain the real Sinatra fans. Thank you very much for all your great compliments about the entertainment, food and the recommendation.

Thankful regards,