“Best Fishing Ever -- These guys are the best”

Driftwood Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: The DRIFTWOOD is a tournament rigged 35ft Bertram ready to fish for whatever swims in the deep blue sea. Whether it's family fun or just a guys sport fishing trip, we cater to everyone, from those who have never been fishing to anglers with years of experience.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I picked these guys based on reviews on here and they exceeded my expectations (which is a tough feat as I set the bar high).

For starters this is a 35' boat and Aruba has 20 mph+ winds so if you get seasick I would suggest taking 1-2 Dramamine before going out which is what my wife did after getting sick on a diving boat the day before (problem solved). It isn't bad and I never get sick but I put this out there for couples looking for a great experience.

We get there and my wife sees the catch on the dock from the morning trip (ours was from 1-5PM) and was impressed with the catch. 4-5 fish (mostly nice size) one was a shark. So nothing like arriving and seeing that the last group did pretty good.

So it was my wife and I for this excursion (boat handles up to 6 I think). It started off with no bites the first 90 minutes -- but no biggie this is fishing. Sometimes your hitting and sometimes you aren't. After that -- BAM... It is show time. Nine fish in all with one being close to 5 feet long.

The added touch is for $18/pp the Driftwood restaurant will prepare your catch for you at their fine restaurant. Not only do they prepare it but they do so with two types of the fish you catch and prepare it with 4 different sauces and cooking methods. The preparation of the fish was super and the sides were great also.

This was one of those experiences that great lifelong memories are made of.

The fishing and dinner were memories that will last forever and the crew was phenomenal.

Definitely one of the best fishing trips I have been on.

1  Thank musicman40nj
"rough seas"
in 14 reviews
"blue marlin"
in 12 reviews
"highly recommend this charter"
in 6 reviews
"biggest fish"
in 5 reviews
"sea sickness"
"crew members"

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We went on the morning of 1 Feb 2013 and it was great. The fishing was a bit off, but that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Doddy really spent some time checking and changing the baits and was concerned about us catching fish. We weren't skunked and came out with a barracuda and couple of bonita. The Driftwood restaurant cooked the barracuda for us and it was delicous. We'll be booking another trip the next time we are in Aruba.

2  Thank DaveB59_53
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had been in touch with Herbert (the owner) prior to our arriving in Aruba on Jan.1/13. He was very prompt & professional regarding our many questions about his charters. We had looked at other boats but felt that Driftwood was our best choice.

We were introduced to Marcelo (captain) & Doddy (mate). Both are very experienced & go out of their way to make sure your trip is pleasurable. My wife & I plus 3 nieces & nephews booked the Driftwood on Jan.6th for the full day. Our catch was 15 fish! Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi, Yellow Fin Tuna & Barracuda.

After having such a success we decided to book another full day on Jan.10/13. We had the privilege of having Marcelo (captain) & Doddy (first mate) again. We explained to them that we wanted to fish for Blue Marlin. We were told that we would go further out in much deeper water than our first day. Well, at approx. 11:10am my dream came true - we hooked a Blue Marlin that took me approx. 20 minutes to bring in to the boat. Marcelo estimated the fish to be about 180 pounds. Next up was Judy (my wife) and damned if she did not hook one that she also brought in. This blue marlin weighed approx. 120 pounds.

We have been fortunate and have tried deep sea fishing in Hawaii, Mayan Rivera, Dominic Republic, Florida & Cuba. We have never been on a boat, with a crew that tries as hard as Doddy & Marcelo. Would we recommend Driftwood Charters? In a heartbeat!

Sunday Jan.13/13 we booked the Driftwood again with friends from Holland, Renee & Monique. Marcelo told us we would be trolling the north shore since the water was calm & that the marlins tend to be bigger on this side of the island. A few hours into the trip all hell broke loose…Marcelo spotted a large Blue Marlin that hit our teaser fish. The first mate (Anthony) tried unsuccessfully to hook the giant Blue several times. Marcelo estimated the fish to be 500 pounds! What a thrill that would have been for Renee (he was up) to get a chance to fight that fish. The rest of the day was uneventful for Marlin fishing. Once the crew realized this they went out of their way changing rods & locations. Renee did get a nice Wahoo that weighed approx. 25 pounds & Monique & Judy each caught a Yellow Fin Tuna.

Plans have already been started for our return to Aruba & fishing on the Driftwood. Many thanks to Marcelo & Doddy for allowing me to scratch one item of my bucket list!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Crew was knowledgeable and energetic. We caught a barracuda and a wahoo. Went on the 4 hour afternoon charter and had a blast. Had our catch cooked for us at Driftwood Restaurant and enjoyed it immensely. Treated like gold. Our ladies were impressed and the food was prepared professionally.

2  Thank jeaniegirl
See more reviews
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We took a 4 hour morning fishing trip with Driftwood Charters in Aruba. We had a great time and caught 3 sailfish (released back), and 3 mahi mahi (crew kept). Our mates were Marcel (driver), and Dodi (mate). While they were very nice, I thought they could have been a little more talkative. When we did catch a fish, they were very busy making sure we knew what to do. We lost a few reeling them in, but the ones we did catch were fun. One dissappointment, though, was that their website advertises that the restaurant will cook your catch for you for lunch. They neglected to tell us that the restaurant does not open till 5 pm. That's a little late for lunch, and not practical to come back given the cost of the taxi rides. Boat was in good condition but needs a little more seating on the back deck.

1  Thank unsunghero