“Awesome and relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Deering, New Hampshire
“Awesome and relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

What a beautiful resort clean, comfortable, quiet and relaxing with a great location.

Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamanthaW6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Finnish first
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

We have been to Aruba 3 times, but this was our first time staying at the Divi. We did not do the all inclusive option. For the most part, we enjoyed our stay, but the experience wasn't perfect. First we booked DePalm tours to provide shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. Instead of dropping us off at the Divi Dutch, they left us at the Tamarjin (same resort but different hotel) across the street. The hotel has golf carts to transport people around, and after waiting a few minutes they put us and our luggage on, and took us to the right place. There were only 2 people checking in new arrivals, and the line was quite long. We stood in line for over 1/2 hour.

Then they carted us to our room. It was very spacious, with a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room and a porch. The rooms looked very clean. There was a faint smell that was hardly noticeable at first, but it affected us more as time went on. I'm not sure what the smell was but it could have been smoke, or possibly mildew. This was a non-smoking room, but people are allowed to smoke on the porch. I have a feeling that a previous guest smoked inside anyway. So we called the front desk to complain, and they offered to change rooms, but they only had efficiencies available, which are smaller. We opted to just buy air fresheners and keep the windows open whenever possible.

Another problem we had was the keycards. Both of them stopped working during our stay. All in all, we considered the above to be minor problems. If you're not allergic to smoke, the smell isn't too overwhelming.

If you're not on the all inclusive option, my suggestion is not to buy drinks at the inclusive beachside bars. Pina coladas at the Bunker Bar are $7.00 and weren't that great. Take a 5 minute walk to the Ocean View Bar. The drinks were 10 times better and only cost $3.50 (Everyone, even all-incusive members pay at this bar).

The beach here is nice, but not as nice as it is near La Cabana or Costa Linda or Manchebo. There are several Divi hotels combined in one resort, and you can use the facilities at any of them. There are lots of umbrellas but it wasn't always easy to get one. Although the policy is that you can't reserve umbrellas with unattended towels, people did it anyway.

One last thing: If you like steak, take a trip into the city and go to El Gaucho.

Spring, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

Very large room with 1 x King bed, air conditioner worked fine (although clothes had a damp feel the next morning), clean, plenty of towels, hand and wash cloths, shampoo and soap, kitchen was stocked with utensils, BUT, kitchen was dated, as was the bath (although water pressure and temperature was great). Refrigerator and stove had rust (due to sea air), cabinetry had knobs that came off (rusted screws). When checking in they will ask when you would like our room serviced, which is good. The hotel reservation web site did not have a selection for Non Smoking rooms so be sure to confirm when checking in. The hotel is not ideally situated as it is between Oranjestadt and Palm Beach which is now the MAIN drag for restaurants, therefore it is necessary to either rent a car, take a taxi, or take the public bus ($1.30 USD pp 3/27/2010 from Palm Beach to Oranjestadt) to one of these destinations. Of note, USD are accepted everywhere and most receipts, even the grocery stores, are denominated in local and USD for payment). Luggage is not allowed on the public bus. Taxi from the airport to the hotel, $22 USD, from the airport to Palm Beach, $25 USD. The pool at the front of the hotel is very small, decent beach is across the street but eating and drinking is difficult due to the high wind gusts and accompanying sand. Be very careful, you’ll burn very quickly due to the constant wind, you will not notice how hot the sun is until it is too late. Breakfast buffet is fairly standard, the quality is nothing to write home about. Coffee wasn’t very good. Since the inception of the buffet breakfast, mediocrity rules. Bar service is somewhat lacking, we were testing to see how long it would take for someone to finally ask what we would like, thought we were invisible there for a while. Couldn’t find free wireless internet connection at the hotel, got a hit on the Divi Dutch village across the street but couldn’t get on. If there is free wireless access at the Divi Village Golf, it was not well advertised. There is a luggage room if checking in early, or checking out late, but, no tags are handed out and practically anyone can walk in and take what they want. For a great cup of coffee, there’s the Scala sidewalk cafe, across from the Holiday Inn up by Palm Beach. Serves a decent breakfast as well. The Aromi d’Italia across the street from Scala has the same breakfast prices as the Scala, but coffee was watery and service not as good. There is a large green Chinese grocery store within walking distance of the Divi Village which is great if stocking up on drinks, beer, etc. the store carries pretty much anything you can find in the USA.

2 Thank Papito1
Irondequoit, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

This was an RCI exchange and we stayed at the Golf Village, across the water from the 6th tee. This was a newer unit with full kitchen, one bedroom and two bathrooms. It was clean, nicely decorated and quiet. Since it had a kitchen we mostly cooked all our meals - the shuttle took us to the edge of the property and then it was a short walk to Ling's IGA for our food. Walking back with our packages was a little harder - but worth the savings. Some minor things I didn't like here - 1) there wasn't a conventional oven, just a cooktop and a microwave oven, but there was a grill outside which we used one night. We had to borrow matches to light it. 2) there was hardly any counterspace so it was tight quarters getting things ready. 3) there was minimal cookware and dishes but there was a dishwasher/drainer/soap. 4) I took a full inventory using their form and turned in the sheet for a few things that were missing but they were never repaced.

We stayed Friday 3/12 to Friday 3/19. Maybe because of the timing there was only one couple ahead of us at check in and they were thorough in describing the facilities. They took my credit card for a $300 deposit, and I declined the room service. Even so, they came to give us fresh towels every day and changed the sheets once. We checked out the night before, and we had to pay $105 for room taxes and the two times we used the in room phone to make local calls, but I was forewarned so that was okay.

However when I checked my credit card statement today there has been another charge for $67 dated two days after we left. I don't know what this is for yet - we didn't take anything or break anything - honest!

The golf cart shuttles were everywhere but we only used them a few times, but I really liked this convenience.

The infinity pool was beautiful, never over crowded, the only day we could not get loungers was Thursday when they had a BBQ lunch and DJ, so we just sat in chairs. To me this was the best pool of all the Divi's. We walked to all the sister resorts and they were obviously older, and smaller. The only benefit to them was that the beach was just feet away whereas we had a short walk across the road to get to the beach. We did the beach one day but I prefer pools so I guess it just depends on your preferences. Drinks at the pool bars were $7 - $8, but mostly we brought our own drinks. Another complaint I have is that yes, there are 7 other Divi resorts which you can go to, but if they are one of the all inclusive ones you couldn't get drinks or food.

The buses mostly were minivans and only cost $1.25 ($2.25 tound trip) and passed by frequently until midnite. The is first time we haven't rented a car and I'm glad we saved ourselves the money. Only had to take a taxi to/from airport and that was only $22. We did the ABC Jeep 1/2 day tour to the abandoned Gold Mine, Natural Bridge (collapsed by the way so why do they still go there??) and the Natural Pool. Baby Beach and California Lighthouse may have been the better tour - but either way I would recommend you save the money. It is hot rocky dusty desert on that side, and nothing spectacular to see.

We also took the bus to snorkel where the pay boats go, saving a bundle there too, but we had to hitch a ride back because the traffic was pretty sparse and we waited forever for a bus which never came. We walked the length of the high-rise hotel beaches and man were they ever crowded!! Made me appreciate our area in the low-rise section.

We did spend a couple evenings in the high rise area for some night life - Le Jazz and the Soprano Piano bar were fun. We had Thai for dinner once instead of the overpriced Aqua Grill. Now granted - we tend to be frugal - and I don't mind spending money on a good dinner now and then - but you should really bring extra money if you plan on eating out often. I can see why the all-inclusives are popular.

The weather is the best reason to go to Aruba - I really loved being able to walk around in a sundress at 11 PM (we are from Western NY). The people were always friendly and helpful. - I never felt nervous being out and about. Better than the natives advice though is that from other travelers - we struck up conversations with people all over and got many tips on food and events. I guess the weather gets everyone to relax and lighten up - making this truly one Happy Island!

Finally, maybe because we flew out on a Friday, even though there were 4 lines to get through, Check-in, departing customs, security and US Customs, it went pretty smoothly. We got there 3 hours before the flight and had to wait an extra hour because of the JFK runway paving - but there are plenty of shops to get some last minute done to pass the time.

3 Thank Daniebear
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We just got back from Divi Golf Resort and had a great experience. The drinks at the swim-up bar were ridiculous ($8/beer), but you can bring your own canned beers to the pool if you'd like. I thought the staff was friendly and helpful, and the restaurant Mulligan's had good food and was reasonably priced.

1 Thank bridgett42
San francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

I was so happy with this place; although we didn't do the all-inclusive option when we were shopping around for the trip, we still had an awesome time! Next time I go back, I am definitely doing the all-inclusive option; the nightly events looked really promising and the restaurants looked descent for it being all-inclusive.

Our room was super big, a one-bedroom condo-ish style, with a full kitchen equipped with cook-ware. We actually took advantage of the kitchen/fridge and drove around in our rental car into the city to look for grocery stores that the locals went to. We were also able to walk from our room to the beach (1 minute walk), and their beaches were very private and beautiful; oh, and the bar is right there too, which makes it so much more convenient.

During our 5 day stay in Aruba, we rented a car and drove around the tiny island to check out the other hotels and resort options for travelers, and I can honestly say that Divi is probably the best choice; their beaches are more open and not crowded, while the casino resorts' beaches felt like a common place for families to cram into during the day.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Cranston, RI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

I rented a room at Divi Village from someone on Craigslist. I knew before going that it was in the older building. When I arrived there was enough staff for a quick check-in. The room was definitely outdated and did smell of mildew. I could have stayed there if I had to but I complained and requested to be moved to a room in the Divi Links and the next day there was a room available and they moved me free of charge. It was so much better. It was really modern with a dish washer and washer and dryer. Whenever I needed clean towels or my garbage emptied I called and they came. Also on Thursday the entire room was cleaned including the sheets being changed. Also the outside light blew out and they came to change that. So I would say the service was fine especially Carol the manager. She could not accomodate me enough. There was noise from the golf carts coming by but I slept with ear plugs and wasn't in the room that much so it didn't bother me.

I used the Internet Cafe on the second level of the Alhambra Casino which was $3 for 1/2 hour and was open from 3-11. They also had phones there to call the States for 25 cents a minute. Instead I rented a cell phone through Aruba Discount Cell which was $48 for 114 minutes. I rented it on-line so I had my phone number ahead of time. They brought it to my hotel and then picked it up at my hotel.

I would have rather stayed at the Hi-Rise Hotel area because there was more activity there. However the good points of the Divi was that the beach was never crowded and I mostly used the pool at the Tamarijn which was livier with a DJ. The average age at the Divi was probably 60-80 years old and I am in my 50's so it was a little too old for me. Also the Divi was in walking distance to 4 super markets.

At night I took the bus which was $2.30 round trip to the Hi Rise hotel area and ate at Salt and Pepper and also Taste of Belgium which were both nice. One night I went to a magic show at the Westin which was also enjoyable. It runs every night starting at 9 and is $29.95. I also went on the Catamarin the Octopus twice for the afternoon sail which I would highly recommend. There is a coupon for it in the material at the airport and it runs from Pelican's right ouside of Playa Linda. They also have morning sails and sunset sails. It is the least expensive, fewer people and just a nice relaxing time.

There was a fitness center at the Divi which was very nice.

This was my 6th trip to Aruba - every day is beautiful with a nice breeze.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank travelri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,128 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,545 reviews
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!