“Great for me ... But ...”

Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Here are some quick observations about the Divi Links.

General items:

Beautiful grounds, golf course and lobby
Well-maintained units
Huge infinity pool area with pool wim up bar and easy slide tunnel the the pre-teens and below should enjoy.
Pool bar serves only drinks, no food or snacks of any kind, which means you either pack stuff or you have to leave and come back (horrible)
Limited on-site activities beside the pool itself and limited pool activities (e.g., Bingo)
Pool normally has music playing during the day
Will need to do a bit of walking to get around resort
Will need to walk and cross one lane street to get to beach
Dining at Mulligans is acceptable and generally worth the cost
Clean gas grills located strategically throughout resort
Access to other sister-properties
Beach chairs and such provided

Gripes within our party:

Maintenance can be slow to respond
Unfortunate, but had no water on two separate evenings; they fixed it both times though
Shuttle drivers can be very nice or not nice at all
Usage of other Divi properties can be challenging, especially if buying food or drinks
Beach umbrella “set-up” is far from actual water, so did not feel safe leaving “stuff” unattended, especially with posted working signs and anecdotal warnings everywhere.
Mattress was okay at best.

We are quite use to vacation rentals, and this resort really felt like just that. This may be because we did not get the all inclusive package, so we had little reason to deal with staff. The pool and beach are the attractions for me. And both are majestic. I will return. Get a rental car for your whole time though. And if you want more actiivities, stay at another Divi (maybe the Tamarijn) or something. The links property is for golf, pool and beach purests like myself. Others can become board, especially if they don't have a car and don't want to taxi or bus it everywhere.

Room Tip: Groceries on island are expensive. Brings stuff from home to save a bundle.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stil_time_travln_Lam
Write a ReviewReviews (2,169)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Great resort, Always have loved the island and the people! This resort's beach is across the street, a very short walk. The beach had plenty of huts to use. If you wanted you could use the beach at The Divi Divi or Tamarin hotel beachfront as well. They are sister resorts. The golf cart transportation works well between the resorts, grocery store and the casino! Enjoy this resort and this great island and it's people! We did, celebrating our 30th with another couple we met at Aruba on our honeymoon!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lloyd B
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stepping foot off the plane and on the island of Aruba, I immediately imagined a pristine beach, delicious food, tropical beverages, a large clean room, all of the above! I definitely got the pristine beach, not so much the other experience I had envisioned. Upon our arrival at the Divi Village Golf Resort, across from the Divi Tamarijn, we had to wait for our supposedly ready room, for thirty minutes in the lobby. No reason, just "sit over there and I will be with you shortly." If my husband did not wait in line for the second time to ask what was going on, we would have sat longer. Once we checked into our room, after it took ten minutes to find it, track down help and still, the staff had an issue finding our room. It was musty, not completely clean and the door would not shut. You had to slam the door for it to lock. We purchased the All-Inclusive package and found the food to be portioned small, tasteless and unfortunately the staff were not friendly. Luckily, we met a few friendly staff and had delicious meals at their "pub" Mulligans, however, 80% of the other dining options with our package were just not quality food (indescribable items on plate, supposedly fish, could have been chicken, etc!?) or dining experiences. Lastly, the best part of our stay, the Beach! Luckily, the beach along the entire Divi resort is incredibly beautiful and well maintained. Also, I do give kudos for the nightly entertainment, which was exciting and fun! Overall, I would probably not go back to this resort. Too many other options on such an incredible island.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nina T
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is one of the best places I have ever been to. The view is breathtaking, the beaches are pristine, the staff is excellent and the food is pretty freaking awesome too! Go for the all-inclusive and you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Edwebslinger
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Every morning we awoke to the sun shining into our apartment. Another day in Paradise :)
We own a Time Share at Divi Golf and Beach and enjoy the facilities very much.
Our updated apartment had some minor issues, loose handles, missing handles on drawers but nothing that would diminish our enjoyment of the resort. it is a wonderful resort, and we have already locked in our week for next year

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank benrosen
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Click on the Trip Advisor “Terrible” and “Poor” reviews and consider my posting “ditto”.

The guest reports on Trip Advisor are consistent in their detailing of the poor experience. Read the comments and you’ll find the specific complaints are the same dating back to 2009. Not a coincidence.

Rather than detailing all the same failures of this resort and staff, I would like to offer my opinion that Divi Golf and Beach Resort has NO incentive to improve the guests experience in any area.

Guest Recourse: None! If you’ve traded your timeshare to stay here, you’re stuck. And note, stuck at the back of the property near the dumpsters in an outdated room, no doubt about it. This property receives timeshare guests through the trading company (I.I., RCI, etc.) funnel system.
The Resort knows this is the case and therefore is in NO WAY incentivized to improve the guest experience. You can leave, sure. But you can’t get your week back or elect to trade somewhere else. You can’t appeal to the Property Manager, as he will not see you.

Accommodations – 1 Bdrm Suite: Dilapidated, moldy, and grimy. Mold on the shower walls, peeling ceiling paint, broken drywall, and grimy floors are real (not just grumpy travelers). Thread bare linens. Sinking/sagging living room sofa.

Activities Staff (Jeep Tour): Rude, arrogant

Housekeeper: Rude, scowling

Property Manager (Patrick Fransen): Cowardly (or defiantly) hiding from the guests trying to meet with him. He’s “in a meeting” (every hour, for the whole week, if you can believe it).

Front Desk Manager (Maureen Conner): Rude and an unabashed liar!

Food (Mulligan’s and Windows on Aruba): Ranges from gross to mediocre.

Pool: Dirty

Beach: Beautiful water, soft sand.

Security - Loose and Unaccountable: A front desk employee gave access to an UNAUTHORIZED male person to my room, on the basis of his merely asking to be checked into my room. He was NOT on my Confirmation Certificate. The resort personnel did NOT confirm with me if this person should have access to my room. The Front Desk Manager’s “reasoning and justification” is that this gentleman was staying at the same property in another room the night before, and because he had my itinerary details, he should be allowed to move into my room ahead of my arrival. And he was moved in there! I was shocked. The Front Desk Manager simply would not acknowledge this was a mistake. This should not have happened. Perhaps she could apologize. The additional aggravating factor was introduced when she said the mistake was mine because someone else had my vacation details. I was then angry. I contend it was the resorts responsibility to check-in only those people titled on the Confirmation Certificate or those traveling with the Confirmation Certificate holder. I am a single woman travelling alone. If the resort management has any capacity for hindsight, they should be breathing a sigh of relief that nothing bad (assault, etc) happened to me as a result of this (remarkably unacknowledged) security breach.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank RP888
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I am not one to right reviews, but I found several helpful in preparing for my trip to Aruba. Unfortunately, I had not read the reviews on Divi Dutch (DD) before my cousin had already booked our stay. I will say that if my assessment of Aruba was based on the DD service, I might never return. However, I can distinguish between the two.

As another reviewer pointed out, it was very difficult to navigate the terrain at times. The reception area for the DD is located on one side of the street and the residences are located across and down the street near the reception area for the Tamarijn. Whenever we needed assistance or attended some of the activities, we had to trek back over to the DD area. Given the intensity of the sun and the fact that one of my travel companions was pregnant, it could be quite tiring.

To accomodate guests, they do have a shuttle, but the timing of the shuttle is uncertain when waiting at the shuttle stops. Initially, it seemed that the shuttles were timely when you called ahead for them, but soon it got to the point when the response was non-existence. This occurred mostly at night, which is the worse time. one night after we called for a shuttle and waited 20 minutes, we started walking the route and found a shuttle driver just sitting off to the side. When approached, he said he would take us to the reception area, however at that point, we were only steps away from our destination.

The accommodations were ok. Rooms were clean, but the quality of the appliances was not up to standard. There are definite signs of the place being run down and needing a face lift.

Service was truly a mixed bag. There were those who really went out of their way to assist and ensure you had a good time, and those who seemed to not want to be bothered with you if you weren't wearing an all-inclusive band on your arm. I would like to recognize Beatrice, front desk at Divi, Devon, the bellman/shuttle driver and Yaldo, the waiter at the Red Parrot. They were very kind to us, pleasant and engaging.

Because of the reviews I read, I headed the advice of checking out the night before. Good thing. The were several discrepancies on our bill -- a $50 charge for towels, which shouldn't have been there; and charges for phone calls. The towel charge was removed without dispute. However, the issue with the phone calls was more challenging. The in-room information guide stated that phone calls were $.86 with a 3% tax. The bill reflected a cost of $1.75 +3% tax. When I spoke to the supervisor, she stated that charges are subject to change. While I understand this, how is a patron suppose to know that the book in their room hasn't been updated to reflect accurate prices and why doesn't the hotel alert us in some way. Of the 9 calls, she removed 4. But I must say she had a lot of attitude from the time she got on the phone.

All of that aside, Aruba has lovely beaches, great snorkeling (it was my first time) and lots of friendly people on the island. With the right hotel, you'll have a blast!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank A R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
#14 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!