“Great time in Aruba.”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Great time in Aruba.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My parents traded their time share and got a two suites so we were able to join them since they said there weren't any two bedroom units available. We stayed at Divi Village Golf Resort June 30 - July 7. When we arrived, after 4 pm, check in was a little long and our room wasn't ready so I was a little annoyed at that but once we got our room keys we were happy to see that we had ocean front suites. The suites are adequate, no dishwasher or oven though. We mainly ate breakfast and lunches in, which was all I could handle for four people in my kitchenette, its just too small.

The grounds are nice, the pools are great. The beach is beautiful. It is directly across the street and there are plenty of lounge chairs and shade if needed. The water is beautiful and very clear.

We were pleasantly surprised that Aruba was having fireworks on July 4th. The barge was set up in front of the property and we were able to watch the fireworks right from our balcony, which were fantastic.

The resort offers the all inclusive package, but we didn't even check into it as we typically eat dinners elsewhere on the island. We ate at Mulligans and Sea Breezes, two out of three restaurants on the property. The food was good. Breakfast at Sea Breezes was less then $10 so we thought that was a good deal.

Lighting is Aruba is horrible, in your room and in the outdoor areas at our resort and other hotels. One thing we all noticed was how dark it was at night. We went to the "new downtown" section and walk around and tried to check out other hotel properties and it was just too dark. Im not sure what they are using for lights but we weren't the only ones who noticed that.

This was a first time trip to Aruba for all of us. We all had a great time and we all agreed we would all go back.

2 Thank Luann0767

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Finnish first
Montreal
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our check in was seamless and quick. The bellman was very helpful and brought our luggage to the room. Nice lobby and we were offered a cold drink upon arrival.

Our room was close to the pool and the golf course. We were quite pleased upon entry. Spacious. Clean. LOTS of storage space - closets and drawers - loved that. Any amenity we needed - iron and ironing board, all the kitchen amenities one would need. Plus washer and dryer! We used that every day - however we saw no sign of laundry detergent being provided, we bought some of our own at a local store. We were happy to receive a gift of coke, beer and a bottle of wine on the first day but it is more of a welcoming gesture - they don't replenish. We have stayed in all-inclusives with complimentary mini bar that is replenished each day - it is nice to have. There was very good hair dryer in the room, better than many rooms I have had. There was also a DVD player with the tv - had I known, I might have brought a couple of DVDs. All in all, a very well equipped room.

An impressive pool nearby with infinity pool, waterslide, swim up bar. Lots of room and spread out. Very nice family scene at this pool. Seems like there are lot of time share folks there who have been coming for years.

The beach was EXTRAORDINARY. Not crowded. Could always find a lounger. Amazing. Not enough words to describe how nice the beach is. We saw the beaches on Palm Beach in the high rise district when we took tours. They looked like bee hives, with packed beaches, and with motor water vessels buzzing not so far from where swimmers were. We were on a boat that came dangerously close to two people on their floating loungers who had drifted outside of the corded swimming area, seeming oblivious to that dangers they might face. Give me the peaceful, uncrowded scene of the Druif beach, it suited me fine and it was beautiful. I ran on it barefoot in the morning and it felt wonderful. If you want good snorkeling, head a little past the Tam where the beaches offer a little more reef and more interesting snorkeling. There is a very good watersports booth that offers snorkeling gear, kayaking, and one can book parasailing, etc. There is a nice little shop right next to it run by a lovely lady, with souvenirs, water floats, etc.

Dining: where we stayed, Mulligans was the closest. Our first meal was breakfast and it was good. Our first dinner was off: I had the Cajun salmon and it was cold in the middle. Next time we went it was for drinks after golf, and then we had dinner - it was much better than the first experience. The last time we ate there it was for a quick lunch where we had to get out in time for a tour, and the waitress made sure we ordered something fast and got us out in time. We really appreciated that. The atmosphere in Mulligans is quite nice, looking out on the golf course. Lots of tv screens around the bar showing 24 hour a day golf and sports scores.

There is a café called Sea Breeze near the Village lobby which is really hit and miss for service. We ate there a few times. My son liked it because once they were playing a Garfield movie on a screen, the other time Harry Potter. But the service was too long to make sense. As I waited for my husband, another client looked over at me and made a similar comment about the service. Not just us.

We had more luck when we went to restaurant on the other side of the road - at the Tamarijn and Divi All Inclusive further up the road. Close to the beach, buffets, did not rely so much on table service. For breakfast, there were omelet stations which we made good use of. My son loved the oatmeal. For lunch I really enjoyed the small glasses with little desserts served in them.

Notes on the A la carte restaurants:
Paparazzi (Italian, located at the Tam across the road): Very good. Our first night we were allowed in without a reservation, very nice of them to take us. Big points for that. The service was very good. (A side note: When booking our a la cartes with a cranky concierge, we told her that we were very impressed that the Paparazzi had taken us without a reservation, which was particularly welcome the first night we were there. She ARGUED us on that point: "they should not have done that, it is not right, etc. etc." Hard to believe her attitude.)

Red Parrot (Caribbean, located at the Divi All Inclusive): VERY good. We really enjoyed the meals and the ambience. Exceptional service.

Palm Grill (Hibachi tables, located at the Tam): Fun and different. The tables have a cooking element in the middle of the tables. We had a sampler of the different types of meats and seafood, which is cooked in the middle. My son really liked it. Sauces are provided at the table, and after our meats were brought, they eventually brought us some French fries and rice, which we did not really realize we were getting, but it came anyway. It was a fun meal and I would recommend it, but the service is lacklustre. Luckily, one does not have to wait for the food to cook - you do it yourself.

Another point that I liked: after check-out, I was very happy to find that I could use a nearby room to change after I had had a last minute massage on the day of our departure. A nice touch.

Our complaint would be the service at the Village: Uneven. Some were nice, some were clueless, and some were unhelpful with a sprinkling of downright rude. The staff we encountered at the Tam seemed more friendly and knowledgeable than at the Village.

Example of clueless: we asked both a front desk staff and a shuttle driver where the Red Parrot restaurant was, neither knew. We had reservations that evening and we had to search for someone who knew where it was. More training needed for some staff.

Example of poor hospitality: Monday morning at a little after 6am, we were looking for a coffee - not to sit down, to go. The very nice front desk manager told us to go to Mulligans. At Mulligans, the waitress told us that they opened at 6:30am, no coffee until then (it was about 6:10am). She was at the bar, pouring a coffee into a cup for herself or a staff member at the very moment she said it.

We also found one of the concierge ladies to be abrupt and rude - we did our best not to deal with her again. Another one was warmer and we steered our questions her way after that. I also found Myrna, the concierge at the Tam, to be very professional and I enjoyed talking to her.

The maid was good, we ran into her a couple of times while cleaning our room, and she was very cheerful. I tipped her each day, that may have helped, but she seemed genuinely nice. And there were many shuttle bus drivers who were incredibly helpful and would go out of their way to drive us where we needed to go.

In summary, this resort has a lot going for it. It is in a more quiet part of the hotel world of Aruba. If you want to party, stay around the high rise district. We did our fair share of exploring and I was happy with where we were, it had a lot to offer. If I return to this resort, I will not take the all inclusive, I would stock the fridge for breakfast and snacks, and explore the island for its very good restaurants. But going all inclusive first time around is fine. On the Village side, we found that not a lot of people that we met were all inclusive, they had time shares that they had returned to again and again. They seemed to truly enjoy it. So they probably do not have to deal with the up and down nature of the restaurant staff or concierge or front desk - they had become very independent and know their way around. The facilities appear to be well kept, it is quiet and safe. If the Village put more effort to staff training and attitude this resort would warrant a 5 rating.

Room Tip: I would try to get in the building that faces the ocean - I believe the rooms are numbered in the 70...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 45DegreesNorth
East Hanover, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I did an RCI exchange, stayed in a two bedroom unit in the Golf Villas. The unit was very nice, but is really not a two bedroom unit. Its a one bedroom unit with an attached studio unit. therefore, you have two kitchens, and two washer and dryers, and three bathrooms.
I stayed in Birdie 5 complex and a view of the gold course. I had requested a pool view, but did not receive it. That's ok. It was about a 10 minute walk to the beach, and was hot. You could jump on a trolley and they were readily available. Still, I would rather be on the beach.

The infiniti pool is very nice, but the bar staff is overworked and not friendly. Not even a smile when you joke with them. There was a bartender named Robert there, we tried to engage him, and he wanted no part of that. I am a tipper, and stopped. It made no difference, so why bother.

The people at the desk are slow. I could never get the concierge, always a long line., so I booked my excursion on my own, directly with company.

We did all inclusive, and didn't think it was worth it. Drinks were watered down. Food was ok, and you need reservations everywhere except Mulligans and the Buffet. We never got to eat at Gingers in the ten days we were there.

Food... Mulligans is great. Red Parrot, portions are extremely small, Papparazzi is ok. The pasta is terrible. Again, waiters not friendly.

The buffets are average.

We sat at the sandpiper bar in the Divi All inclusive. It was right on the beach and the bartenders and cook were very friendly and gave great service. Have the pasta carbonera there, probably the best thing I ate on the entire vacation. They make it fresh right in front of you.

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice, just far from the beach. Don't stay on the first floor unless you want...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ronniev
Douglas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Aruba is amazing. We stayed in a studio room which was small but worked well enough for us. The beach was great, very close and not too crowded. The staff was very friendly.

Erie, PA
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our first trip to Aruba and the island is beautiful, the beach and the ocean are worth every penny. But be careful with your pennies everywhere else on this island. This resort won't let you in your room when you arrive until after 4pm. Until then, you are free to spend some time and pennies in their restaurants, or pool bars. You may spend your pennies booking with any of their 'preferred' (De Palm Island owned) restaurants for your dining pleasure during your stay. If you want to book with any other restaurant or activity on the island, good luck getting help from the concierge. She is rude and won't help you. She will say that her computer is broken, her phone isn't working or just say outright that she won't help you book that. The housekeeping is just trash removal from your unit and clean towels daily IF you ask. The information in the unit book is WRONG. They will NOT change your bed sheets for free on Thursday and Saturday. They will charge you more than pennies to change your bed sheets for you. We did our own sheets, with detergent that we had ourselves, (non is provided). We found a large roach in our unit on Wednesday, and each day that we were there... I received a spider bit on my leg. By the end of the week,,, you guessed it, I had seven bites.
We received help and assistance with our directions from the bellman or the shuttle driver. Both were very friendly and willing to help us.
The resort facilities are great, although the pools don't open before 10am because the 'workers' aren't in any hurry to finish cleaning the pools.
The best part of this resort is the location and their un-crowded beach.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom unit in Birdie II, a unit on the third floor. We could see a small bit of the...
3 Thank Dana K
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was a little disappointed with this resort. The food was average at best. I would definitely NOT recommend the all inclusive package. I woud suspect you could get better food and drinks off the three properties. I never felt comfortable at this resort. The employees always seemed annoyed if you asked for anything. We stayed at the Golf Resort. Although they advertise it to be a family resort, the space in the suites is challenging for a family. The layout is awkward and the bathrooms are very small. Be careful because the pool chairs and lounges are metal. They get extremely hot and will burn you. The Tamaryn proerty was extremely run down and unkept. There are definitely more broken chairs on the beach and at the pool than there are functional ones. The food was awful, especially the buffet. The Divi All Inclusive was a little better, but not much. The buffet was ok if you could manage to keep the birds from eating off of it. I could only imagine the potential health hazards. I travel a great deal, with and without children. We looked forward to Aruba with great anticipation. unfortunately this will not be a trip I look back on with excitment and a sense of relaxation and satisfaction. I would not recommend this resort. I feel like I wasted a lot of money and unfortunately a lot of vacation time that I cannot recapture. I'd advise anyone considering this resort to not to list t as your first option, maybe third. Do your research before you commit to this property.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Dmariewalke
Metuchen, New Jersey
Reviewed July 12, 2013

So its $25 cab ride from airport (daytime- found out after I believe like 10pm cab fare price increases as night wears on) once you exit airport there is a line with a guy that's setting up cabs for you, so no worries or confusion. Be prepared for the location of this property you're more inclined to need a cab to get most places. Fortunately, its in a semi-central locale where it seemed to be a $9 cab ride to most spots. (plus aforementioned nightly fare increase) there is a busline that runs stretch of the main road which we heard was about $3 pp. However considering we were leaving to catch restaurant reservations, waiting for next one wasn't feasible. Walking to high rise area is slighty difficult because there aren't designated sidewalks entire length and walking the beach not an easy feat, although worth a stroll at some point.
[aside- getting sensible directions not easy. think its the island life. when asked concierge/and front desk where to catch bus they pointed and said "that way" which when your indoors is not helpful. The concierge also proceeded to draw a line on a piece of paper with an arrow going in a direction and said "you go this way when get off bus"
If interested in one activity, their recommended Depalm jeep tour is FANTASTIC! You're picked up on property and get to have an adventurous ride that is way more enjoyable as a passenger with about 6 others.
The submarine ride was interesting only if you're claustrophobic, germaphobic, or any phobic skip it. Its super tight quarters where you're elbow to sweaty elbow and if you're over 5'5 then you have to bend entire time to see out portholes. Our guide seemed to lose interest in what he already said to the side that passed sight first(one side gets view, then it turns for other side to see same view) but interesting none the less to be able to say I've been in a sub.

Restaurants
concierge will make any reservations which are recommended for places get busy. Every place we ate were nicer gourmet, but fairly priced with decent sized portions and DELICIOUS beyond belief, worth every penny. Pinchots ($14 cab) is on dock on water. Giannis (italian), Daniel's steakhouse, Mulligans(on property. fish sandwich a must) 2 fools and a bull (must book months in advance for they fill)
We considered doing all-inclusive but after speaking with a returning guest in check-in line, she said the cost didnt seem to equal the amount they actually ate or drank. I had also been advised on restaurants that were musts to go to, which would have rendered the package wasteful. So we splurged. Usually cook in timeshares, and there were supermarkets around, just req'd cabs.

Property
Upon our early arrival being too soon to check-in, our luggage was locked in a space near lobby and we were given a ticket to reclaim later. there is a bar also that you can have a delicious complimentary punch with or without alcohol while you wait to check in, so yummy. Our room was a studio,rm 6206, in the building next to the pool near lobby. Room was beautifully updated with a lot of storage with excellent use of space, it felt large, and nice balcony. Only downside was view on balcony partially obstructed by building supports. It was more like two long window cutouts, but wonderful nonetheless.

Yes, you have to cross a street to get to beach but it's not a big deal. Its a little island road and as a whole, drivers give pedestrians the right of way at crosswalks. I also kinda liked not being on the beach because with the tradewinds it'd be difficult to sit out there and enjoy view but so much. The beach is definitely the best if not one of the best beaches we have ever visited. The water is like soothing bath water (sorry that's best description I can think of at moment) It,s warm and maybe all the salt in it is very therapeutic. There are some "rocky" spots in water but its actually coral pieces. I'm typically a 10-15 minute ocean gal, but I just did not want to get out. Oh, and topless is permitted so just be aware.
There are quite a few pools on property each with a nearby bar if that's your liking. There are many interesting drinks, the local Balashi beer is nice and theres 1/2 price happy hour. the bar (seabreeze i believe) is on the beach and upstairs with incredible views! Be prepared for the scaly property residents. Iguanas love it here also and can be seen bathing on rocks and wandering around, so awesome. Birds will also clean your plates for you if your not looking. kinda funny when it happens after initial shock wears off.

*ALERT* give plenty of time when departing because US customs is in Aruba airport which was extremely stressful because MANY flights were delayed due to large amount of passengers stuck in customs line. Must note that this was THE worst experience with customs and we always deal with them with our last name.
Definitely want to return and think this property is the place to be. Love the serenity of the low rise area.

Room Tip: Studio perfect for room for two. It felt large and was laid out well, so actually a good choice if 1...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vegas617
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba
Divi Aruba
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!