“Very pleasant and relaxing”

Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Tacoma, Washington
“Very pleasant and relaxing”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Very pleasant and relaxing..

Stayed from Feb 27 through Mar 4th.

I originally booked to stay the Divi Dutch for 5 nights, but upon checking in, I was upgraded to the Village Golf and Beach Resort - due to overbooking at the Dutch Village. No problems there - I was happy, and it was in a good location too (room 5101). I had two patios and a small pool 20 ft away (though it could use some upkeep from the tree debris). It is a windy island, so don't wear a wig or toupe. LOL. Anyways, below is my review of the property based on my experience.

Upon arrival, I got my rental car at the airport, and headed to the resort.

General Location:
This particular Divi Village property is the only resort not on the ocean side of the main road - primarily targeted for golfers and residents. Note: Dutch Village, Tamarijn, Divi Aruba back to the ocean/beaches.

Overall:
Upon getting to the main reception building for check in, which btw was open air area, I was pleased with how clean and nicely everything was layed out. Plenty of staff was around to help me, even at 6pm. Within 10 min, I was on my way to my room (a shuttle will take you). Oh you will receive several things...

1) A welcome packet with plenty of flyers,
2) Two card keys for your room,
3) Guest card (to charge to room) - its made of paper. You must present this to charge anything to your room! Even the pool bar. I personally think this should be integrated with the plastic room cardkeys. Paper is not water friendly.
4) Towel card - you need to give this to the beach/pool towel attendent at one of the two biggest pools (Sea Breeze Pool or the Infinity pool), then you can exchange used towels as many times as you want at either pool. But before you check out (as in leave the resort), be sure to get your card back at the same pool you orginally picked up your towel from. Else you will be charged when you check out. Don't worry, you don't need to get your card back every day. But note the towel exchange stands are not open all the time (I think 9-6), so plan accordingly on your last day to get your card.

Shuttle services:
I read other comments on slow or non existent golf cart style shuttles to take you around. I disagree, they are everywhere! They frequent many Shuttle stops around all the near proximity properties, or you can just waive one down. Simple. Again they were all over the place.

Parking: (for your car) -
If you rented one, parking is plentiful. No worries.

Room:
When I got to my room, I was surprised how big and clean it was. I think it was a condo of some sorts. Everything you need was in there. No need to buy anything, other than food you want to eat or cook.
- Kitchen was full kitchen and stocked with everything you need. Full fridge, microwave, diswasher, sink, knives/utencils, Dishware, cookware, coffee maker, toaster.
- The floors were tile (+)
- Bed did not have the ugly hotel 70's bed cover (+)
- Bed is very comfortable (+)
- Sheets, towels and trash replaced daily (+)
- Bathroom had many towels (+)
- Hair dryer, iron board/Iron, extra pillows, plenty of hangers (+)
- Water pressure excellent (+)
- Bathtub has jets (+)
- Shower/tub had some sold and mildew on the tile groutings (N) - housekeeping should spray some lysol mold and milder remover.
- Washer and Dryer was excellent - you need to buy detergent from store. I think the resort shopette (in reception building) sells some. (+)
- In room Safe (+)
- Sliding doors/security - I agree with a previous poster. The locking mechanism does not work (both mine) and seems to be a broad issue. But each sliding door has a wood stick to insert into track so the door won't slide. Simple but effective. Just don't forget to put it in. (N)
- Curtains on sliding doors have sheer and blackout. (+)
- Cable TV (~30 channels), 27" flatscreen TV and DVD player (+)

Restaurants:
The resort has two main restaurants, Windows of Aruba (smart casual/dress, rsvp req.) and Mulligans (no dress code, and no rsvp). I went to Mulligans 4 times in super casual/beach attire, and the food/drinks were amazing. Open from 6:30-1a. As this is walkin, it can get crowded at prime dinner time. Fun Karaoke Thursday nights. Simply great views of the greens - facing west, great food, and atmosphere.

Pools:
As mentioned there are two main pools. The one up front (Seabreeze Pool) is nice and has a bar/dining are adjacent to it. Demographics are usually older folks. The other is the Infinity pool (on the Villa's island), which is the largest and has a swim up bar. Here you will see a mix age group. One end is for kids (slides, etc). This pool is awesome (don't forget your guest card if you want to charge drinks to your room) - bartenders will hold it for you. Or use cash/credit card. There are couple other smaller pools around, but they are so so (just like the one by my room).

Beach:
The Divi Beach (Druif Beach), is across the street. Its big, plenty of lounge chairs, and has an activity shack. Whatever you want to do, you can do it there. I spend 3 hours my last day, and got cooked even with SPF 30. LOL. Sunsets are amazing! but is does get windy, however the sandy beach, warm waters make up for that occassional sand blasting.

Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank XplorerMike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Finnish first
Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Was put in room 4120 Condo overlooking the golf course, with 2 sets of sliding doors--NO security cameras or outside lighting! Doors were not installed correctly and the room was broken into within 5 hours of arrival! Our luggage was gone through -thrown around , the safe was crowbarred open and all our money was stolen , passports thrown on the floor along with our cell phones. My husbands Diabetic Test Kit was stolen also.
It took over 20 minutes for anyone in the resort to answer the phone and get us help!
The front desk phone number was worthless because no one ever answered. Finally their security came and took pictures and called the police. When the police arrived they said there was no fingerprints to be taken! They also did not take our statement that night. We are now wondering if they were even real police because the next morning 3 detectives came in and took our statement and looked very puzzled when we discribed the policeman that were there the night before.They actually asked us "Are you sure they were real Police?"
The resort wanted us to stay in the room and told us they had no other rooms to move us to. We absolutely told them they better move us because the sliding door was unable to be closed and was not secure!! They then moved us to a 3rd floor condo with no elevators!! That room had a balcony with a sliding door that was not installed correctly also and was easily able to be broken into!!
The Resort only said SORRY! They didn't offer us any help , didn't even offer us a free meal or drink!
What ever you do --DO NOT stay at this resort!! It is truely unsafe and they do not care about there guests!

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying on ground floor level anywhere at this resort!!
17 Thank kafc117
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The place is getting old... They are not striving to be a fantastic resort. It's like a big condo complex, the Divi Village rooms are spacious, but it is not enjoyable to feel the need to take a shower with my sandals on... We are very Happy we did not buy into the meal plan, we spent less money; two adults & two kids and eat at different hotels, restaurants on the island (a couple of our breakfast meals where in the room with food we bought at the super market).

My wife and I had one drink at a nice pool in Divi Village, the Daiquiris were horrible, they tasted like ice and the employees were not interested in making you feel welcome. The second time I tried to buy a drink they were closing the bar and my little boy was smart enough to say afterwards "Dad, it would have been no trouble for them to make you a drink, that was not nice..."

The towel system at the hotel is a joke, I do not want to have to debate with someone if I want two towels vs. one towel.

If you can accept that this place is not going to be paradise and you use it as your home base for visits to the different parts of the island with RCI points it can be a inexpensive place to stay.

If you trying to learn about Aruba and want a wonderful place to stay..book the Hyatt in the high rise section where the beach is better protected and the water is quite a bit calmer.

If you go to this resort you must rent a car to have an enjoyable vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mike j
Nokesville, Virginia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our first trip to Aruba and we were extremely pleased with this resort. The staff was always friendly and helpful. Housekeeping gave us fresh towels and emptied the trash daily.
Food at Mulligans was amazing and staff was wonderful.
Best Beach-did not have to fight for beach chairs and very quiet and peaceful.
As I stated this was our first trip but I can't wait to go back and will most definitly stay at Divi.

3 Thank Melissa D
Bronxville
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Divi Golf and Beach Resort in mid-December 2012. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Room was not fully updated but still pleasing. We were in room 2110 which we thought was a perfect location...fully stocked kitchen although we never really cooked. Small appliances could've been cleaner. Housekeeping did a good job although were noisy when they got their carts out of the hall storage room in the morning which was right outside the bedroom. We complained about the noise and they were very good about it. We were on the ground floor with a patio that had a side view of the pool. Perfect to have privacy yet still be able to watch kids when they swim. Iguanas and birds make it a peaceful refuge. Pool was big complete with slide, bridge, pool bar and infinity pool and very very clean with games/entertainment in the afternoon. They are strict on one towel per person. Happy hour 2 for 1 but at pool bar but could've have been a bit stronger. Restaurants were satisfactory. Mulligans was our favorite...good food and great view of golf course. Beach was heavenly. Beautiful, clean and a walk across the street from the resort. Divi provides tram transport all over their resorts. Huts were well maintained and in good shape. Very attentive when you arrive to bring you lounge chairs and thank goodness, no fees for that. I would rather you figure that into the cost of the room than have me pay extra every day for a chair. Chrystal turquiose waters...heaven on earth. This resort is in the low rise area of Aruba...close to downtown Oranjestad and the high rise areas where there is more night life. Divi Golf and Beach and neighboring Divi resorts all have entertainment at night so you really can stay in the resort and never leave if you prefer to save on taxi and/or rental cars. We rented a car and drove all over, went to visit another resort and I can honestly say, we would return to Divi Golf and Beach in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Room 2110 great to see pool but still be private enough that you are not on top of pool area. It is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emzacc1
Connecticut
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We are Divi owners at this resort and have been for many years although we don't go to Aruba every year. However it is a beautiful island and this resort is very nice. They have recently completed some very nice renovations and the resort looks great. We own a studio with a full kitchen and all the balconies in these two buildings have an ocean view. The resort has some fun activities planned for guests that want to participate, which is great. The location is perfect if you want to go to the grocery store or go the to Alhambra casino and plaza which is also newly renovated. The golf course is really nice and Mulligan's restaurant is delicious. We would recommend this resort!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank arubanancy
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the Divi Golf and Beach Resort in Aruba the second week in February and had a very good experience. We had a one Bedroom unit - Birdie 4 - overlooking the golf course. The unit was clean, well maintained and kept. The housekeeping staff changed out towels and emptied the trash every day and changed the sheets once during the week. Although there was a slight musty smell - I think this goes with the territory. We just opened the patio doors for awhile each day and that took care of it.

This resort is in the "low rise" area of Aruba - which was fantastic. The beach was uncrowded, it was easy to get a Palapa hut and we really enjoyed the non-stress nature of the place. We rented a car and found it quite easy to get around. There are well stocked grocery stores nearby and we loved going to different beaches. We did go to the high rise beach area one day and literally couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Pool chairs were hard to come by. People park their towels early and don't move them. The demographic at this place while we were there seemed to be retired people with a few traveling with their kids and grandchildren. We attended the welcome cocktail party and had to chuckle at how aggressive people get around free food and drinks. We moved away from the food serving area lest we were flattened!

We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. I would recommend this place to others.

3 Thank Cindy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba
Divi Aruba
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!