“Not a thing to complain about...”

Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Escondido, California, United States
“Not a thing to complain about...”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

My boyfriend and I arrived here on Sunday, and we have two full days left at the property. I really can't complain at all. We arrived at 12:30 Sunday afternoon, so I was afraid we would have to wait for our room. Nope, we didn't. They checked us in promptly, and had a bellman drive us to our room, (2330) and was even nice enough to walk us all the way up to our 3rd floor condo. The condo was very well equppied. We had everything, even down to tissue paper and a corkscrew for wine bottles. Shuttle drivers were very nice, and so was every worker we encountered. If you plan on going to the grocery store, tell the shuttle driver to drop you off at the very end of the tamarijn property, and then tell them what time you would like them to come back for you. The grocery stores are a bit of a walk away, so you would definitely want a shuttle to take you to and from. As for the beach being across the street, its really only a 2 minute walk, and if you dont feel like walking, the shuttle driver will take you there. Don't plan on trying Windows myself, because I heard it is very expensive, but it is a top rated restaurant. Mulligan's was good, we went there a couple times. Very good service. Everyone we ran into, whether it was a guest or employee, was always in a good mood and willing to chat with you. They always have a taxi waiting near the front desk if you plan on going out anywhere. We havent had to call for one once. We probably will though when we leave on Sunday. The beach is never very crowded, which I like. All in all, I would recommend this property and would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better so you dont have to deal with hearing anyone above you. Also, would recomme...
2 Thank Heather M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Finnish first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My wife and I swapped Hilton Grand Vacation Club points to stay at the Divi Village in September. We did not stay one night and ended up moving down to the High Rise hotels for the week.

If you think that the Divi Village is on the beach, it isn't. It is across the road and most of the condos are in the back of the property around the golf course. They are doing major renovations to the units that you see in the pictures that look like they are on the beach, but aren't. The unit we were supposed to be in seemed clean enough, but needed updating pretty bad. All of the appliances were old and rusted. The chaulk around the master tub/shower was gone and you wondered if you were going to fall through the floor. It just was not what we had in mind for 15-yr anniversary.

My wife has food allergies and we tried multiple times prior to arrival to ask if the hotel restaurants could accomodate her with no response (granted there is a pool restaurant/bar and the other restaurants on property, The Windows (I think) is highly rated), which made us have an alternative plan even before we arrived. If you search the Divi Phoenix - that is what we were expecting, even though we did not stay there either. The Divi Dutch is right in front of the Village on the beach and looked older just from visual impression - did not walk around there.

The staff was quite friendly and seemed genuine to help as best possible - even though we did not give them a chance to appease us. Even if you arrive early, be prepared to wait until 4pm to get your room. We checked into the room at 4pm and we left our luggage went to the high rise hotels, came back in Taxi got our luggage and walked out to the beach from other hotel @ 5:30pm. I went back next morning, checked us out of the Divi Village to the surprise of Front Desk. The nice lady that checked me out told me that she would put a note on our file for the Manager to read as to why we checked out early and that the manager would be in touch. Here it is almost November and I have never received an email, call nothing.... I even filled out the RCI survey and nothing.

Not only does it make me not want to ever visit a Divi property again, but not swap points to RCI as I have heard nothing from them either.

If you are in to golf, not a lot of amenities and don't care if you are on the beach or not then the Village is just fine. The grounds are well kept and in lieu of walking the resort has golf cart taxis running around. If you want a lot of variety of restaurants and a lot more action, I would suggest looking into the Divi Phoenix or other properties in the High Rise section.

Room Tip: Be a little leary when you see 'Free Upgrade' on the top of your check in form....
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Kemah, Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Check in was the only thing good about this place.......

The room was dingy and unclean when we got here. They wanted to charge us extra for maid service to come in and clean it properly (beyond the usual housekeeping with refreshes towels, mops the floor, etc). The fan in the living room is broken, yet no one from maintenance seems to care enough to come check it out despite it being reported.

Our room, 2118, is located on the first floor, adjacent to the security gate that everyone has to go through in order to get in to the area with the Golf Villas. We hear everything that comes through at night. A family was staying above us, with what could only be described as elephant for children. Every morning at 6:30 we would hear banging and stomping coming from above. Hotel staff seemed not to care about this in the least. THIS IS NOT A HOTEL FOR HONEYMOONERS.

Mattress is terrible. In addition to the hardest pillows I have ever encountered, the mattress felt like it was loaded with rocks. I woke every morning more sore than I was the day before. This is the standard mattress here.

The intra-hotel shuttle service is horrible. The drivers are more interested in chatting up the maid service than actually driving their route. Hotel staff does not seem to care about this either.

And now this brings me to the concierge... De Palm, a tour company on the island, provides the concierge for Divi..... These people couldn't be nicer and more useless. Very friendly and quick to take our money, quick to set up dinner reservations (a definite plus), but did not give good information at all. She told us to bring the wrong stuff on an excursion, didn't tell us to wear the correct attire for our couples massage (didn't even tell us it was going to be on the beach...)

You can rent through Hertz at the Divi as well.... They do rent Jeep 4x4's to explore the island with, but you have to book them the same day you want to use them, and despite what they say, they go very quickly (I was there at 7:45 am and all 5 were already gone).... The woman behind the desk (who wasn't wearing a name-tag... odd) said to me that the Jeeps were all booked up last night.... kinda interesting considering they are same day only rentals and you can't reserve them.... She then told me (my hand to Jesus i swear) "We are getting more Jeeps in December"..... to which I replied "But, its October and I won't be here in December, probably won't be coming back"... "Well, sir, we will have more Jeeps in December, you can ask the concierge about it"

I could go on... I have 2 more days left here, but I am considering checking out and staying at a nicer hotel where I can get some sleep and not give my back irreparable damage.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: just don't stay here. period.
1 Thank CaptBA
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We exchanged our time share to stay here with friends for their wedding in Aruba. The suite was fantastic, with lots of space, a full kitchen, and a wonderful view of the golf course. The beach is across the street but it's a quick walk and there are always shuttles (golf carts) running around the resorts. The beach is nicer and larger than the high rise area and it's a lot quieter. Easy bus or cab ride to downtown or the high rise area. Highly recommend to anyone!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
caln township, pa
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The place was in above average condition. The biggest downfall was the unit we were in was being painted for the first 4 or 5 days we were there. A nice scaffold obstructed my view of the ocean for the first half of my stay. The kitchen facilities were adequate to make a few small meals in the room. The hotel was centrally located between downtown and Palm Beach so it was easy to get about anywhere. The pools were nice. The beach was pretty clean. Since it was the end of the low season nothing was over-crowded.
The CONS ..The bed was very stiff and uncomfortable. The amenities available were confusing due to the all-inclusive options. Overall I would stay again.

2 Thank vlapinski19
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Been staying here for years but just put my unit up for sale because of the adjacent all-inclusive Tamariin guests taking over all the pools, cabanas and lounge chairs. The cheap rates lure less than desirable guests and the management of the Tamariin would not even speak with us about our experiences with their guests. Last trip a couple had sex in the pool just outside my door and I had my 12 year old niece staying there. There are no pool attendants and even though the signage clearly restricts the pools to Dutch members and their guests, the all inclusives take over everything all day long. It is a shame since the Dutch Village is a lovely resort, but I for one do not want to fight or have confrontations over pool space I thought was mine when I purchased the property.

Room Tip: Don't!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kathrina K
Atlanta,Georgia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The unit was clean and had everything we needed, even corkscrew. Satellite TV and daily housekeeping. 3 supermarkets are 10 minutes walk away. One had decent fresh fish. Aruba resturants are good, but expensive since everything must be imported. Unit overlooked the golf course and had 3 balconies and 2 baths. Staff is excellent and very helpful. Druif beach is across the street and was never crowded. Two pools at resort. Bus stop is near by and for $1.35 per person goes all around the island. Taxis are available, but government regulated and pricey. US dollars are accepted everywhere, so don't bother to exchange currency. Two golf courses on Aruba. I would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Second floor units are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mr.BAtlanta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,171 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,659 reviews
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!