“Enjoy and relax at Wonders”

Wonders Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Oranjestad B&B and Inns
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
“Enjoy and relax at Wonders”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Wonders is the perfect place to relax and enjoy. Gaston, the owner, picked me up at the airport. I was very happy with room 2 on the ground floor. I was glad I paid a little extra for this spacious room which has its own patio overlooking the garden (type Superior). The garden is a little paradise with beautiful flowers, exotic birds, iguana’s and butterflies. There are tables, chairs, loungers in every corner of the garden to everyone’s need for sunshine or shade. The atmosphere created by Gaston is great. At night there are lights in the garden and candles on the patio and in the lobby.
Breakfast on my patio did wonders. The blueberry bagels are really delicious. Gaston was the perfect host. He will answer your questions about Aruba, places to see, where to rent a car, etc.
The rooms have facility to make tea or coffee and there is a normal size fridge. Room 9 is located in the garden and is a kind of studio with a small kitchenette. The prices for the snacks and drinks in your room are very reasonable, no need to go to the nearest supermarket, because they will charge you the same price.
The neighbourhood looks a little run down and some people might not enjoy the 20 minute walk from town in the evening. However as a woman alone I never felt unsafe walking there. The walk to town through Kerkstraat is a good alternative to walking through Emmastraat.
The restaurants I can recommend are Yemanja Grill (try the grilled vegetable salad) and Barefoot. The latter has the perfect view, don’t forget to make a reservation is you want a table on the beach. The beaches I can recommend are the Eagle Beach in front of Amsterdam Manor and Arashi beach just before the light house. Both can easily be reached by the local busline 10 (hotel area).
Even though this hotel is not located on the beach nor is it the most comfortable, it was the perfect place for me for a one week stay on Aruba. Gaston thanks for being a perfect host.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LinAnna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Chose this hotel beause of previous Trip Advisor reviews. It was wonderful! It is more of a bed/breakfast type facility where the breakfast is availabel at an additional charge. Gaston, the owner/host is a terrific host and keeps the place immaculate. He will meet you at the airport and provide you transportation to/from the hotel (highly recommended for many of the locals do not know names of the streets and the streets are not well marked). Gaston provided us with awesome recommendations for restaurants (Driftwood and Yemanja among others) and great recommendations for attractions. He prepared a wonderful breakfast for us every morning based on the amount and type of food we wanted. He has parking next to the hotel behind a locked agte so your car is secured (need to reserve with him prior to arrival). The grounds are beautiful -- we especially liked the backyard with an inground swimming pool and lots of flowering trees/bushes that attracted hummingbirds, butterflies, parakeets, and other beautiful birds. There was even an iguana one day on top of one of the bushes. He has plenty of tables/chairs/loung chairs for his guests. The hotel is located 8-10 minutes walking distance from the harbor where there are lots of restaurants and shops. We parked our car at the hotel once we were done driving around the island for the day and walked to/from the restaurants in the evening--felt very safe. The hotel is very quiet and invites you te rest and relax!

Room Tip: We stayed at two separate times--once on the ground floor by the pool, room 4, and another time on t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Woodsnottraveled
Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Wonders for our anniversary in January 2012! The owner was very friendly, along with everyone else we met there! Property grounds were very nice and rooms were very clean, very quiet, and comfortable! This was the perfect place for us to Relax! Pool was clean and perfect to sit by day or night- so peaceful! Beautiful flowers are all around! We had a rental car and the property was a very close drive to all the places that we went. Our room had a nice stocked mini bar and snacks- ect, and the free WIFI worked great, rooms have hot water (some places in Aruba do not have hot water-they use on the sun to warm the water). We did not have breakfast in the morning, but I can tell you that I wished we would have because it smelled amazing! This is our third time in Aruba and people are very friendly and we always feel safe everywhere we go! If you are looking for a great place to stay do not hesitate to book at Wonders! Sad to go home. We can't wait to go back! It was a relaxing and fun time!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TRM2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Wonders Boutique Hotel is a great alternative to the chain hotels along the beachfront in Aruba. Gaston was very attentive and drove us to the beach, booked our rental car for us, called a snorkel company for me, and had breakfast ready each morning. Our room was very comfortable and the enclosed patio and pool area is lush and relaxing. The hotel is an excellent value and we enjoyed it. We even got to keep our room until 4 pm on the final day, since it wasn't needed and we had an evening flight. I definitely recommend renting a car so you can access all points in the island easily. The beach is about a 10 minute drive and downtown 5 minute drive/15 minute walk from Wonders.

Room Tip: If I were to travel to Aruba again, I might try to book a rental car with a name-brand company (not...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank expat81
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2012

My friend and I waited to book a place in Aruba and realized that most places were already booked. We were very fortunate to find the Wonders Boutique and Gus. He picked us up from the airport, let us settle into our room, and then provided us a ride to the beach. He was extremely friendly and always accommodating to our needs. The place was beautiful and within walking distance of downtown.

We never ate here but I would often catch the scent of some amazing meals. I even saw a plate that looked nicer than anything we had on the entire island. Highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room outside of the main building by the pool. Quite private and easy access in and o...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank derekw496
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I'm writing this while sitting on the patio in front of my room. I've been here 4 days already, sadly only 2 more left! Let's start off by saying that any time I come to Aruba in the future, I will be staying at Wonders.

I was picked up at the airport by the owner, Gaston, who turns out to be a very kind soul who is not only willing to completely personalize your stay by helping you in any way that he can (see previous reviews--I concur), but is a font of local information as well. Although I did not rent a car, and as it turns out bicycles are not much of an option, I never had any difficulty getting anywhere I needed to go. Gaston dropped me off at the Renaissance hotel several times so that I could be picked up by various tours I was doing (snorkeling, scuba, Kooku Kunuku). Walking to the hotel from the downtown area takes approximately 15 minutes, but it's only $6 by cab.

Breakfast on my patio every morning has been marvelous and quite a bargain. After I came back from dinner last night, I sat out here and drank a couple of Balashi beers from the room fridge while uploading pictures to my facebook page. The prices for items available in the mini bar are quite reasonable. The beers were only $3, various snacks and soft drinks are $1.50 each.

Every evening, Gaston walks around lighting candles and making things look like an enchanted garden (I'll post pictures). I can't emphasize more how relaxing it is just to sit here and enjoy the courtyard or lobby area. And my room was very well appointed as they say, lovely decor(--and good smelling), TV, a kettle so I could drink a million cups of tea every day!

If you're into an all-inclusive type of situation or want to spend all of your time frying on the beach, this may not be the place for you. But if you're looking for a balance of beach, activities, shopping and good eating, I would highly recommend Wonders. I've snorkeled, scuba dived, bar hopped, had a massage and manicure at the beach, shopped and wandered. Since the beach is public, there is nothing to stop you from walking through the lobby of any beach hotel and enjoying it from there, as I did. I never felt trapped at one location as it seems to me that staying at one of the big hotels would do. Thanks to Gaston for creating such a lovely oasis in the middle of Oranjestad.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a patio separated by a screen from the common area. Since I was alone, it made connectin...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank javaheidi
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The hotel is situated only 5 minutes away from eagle beach, considering you rent a car (which you need to get around anyway). The rooms are tidy, spacious and very well decorated.

The host, Gaston, picked us up from the airport (free of charge) and took us to the hotel. It only has 8 rooms, only allows adults so it's very calm. Gaston is a very friendly man, takes his time to answer any questions and serves a great breakfast.

We had a great time on Aruba and seriously recommend this hotel over the crowded mass tourism hotels if you're traveling without kids...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank yous79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
MVC Eagle Beach
MVC Eagle Beach
#6 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Paradera Park Aruba
Paradera Park Aruba
#1 of 1 in Paradera
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort

Been to Wonders Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!