“Beautiful and Romantic”

Barefoot Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 234 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Aruba is all about the fabulous beaches during the day, and the many great restaurants at night. It is only logical that these two unique things of Aruba are combined into one! Luc & Gerco found the perfect spot to synergize great food, and a beautiful setting to create an experience almost unique on our island. When listening to the ocean caressing the shore, while wiggling your toes through the pearly white sand, why not let yourself be pampered by a gourmet dinner? Chef Gerco & Maitre d' Luc had a shared dream of opening up a restaurant here, but wanted something in line with what they enjoy on Aruba: the nearly perfect climate, the possibility to always be outside, the tropical feel... When opening their restaurant, they had these ideas in their heads, and it worked like a charm! Tables under a large palapa on a wooden deck with a view of the ocean, or outside under the Aruban nights sky, on the pristine beach... An original menu was created by Gerco and team, with some of the old school favorites as well as locally influenced dishes. With the help of the local wine suppliers, Luc made an extensive wine list, with wines from all over the world, and is always ready to pair a wine with your dinner. The experienced service team is friendly yet professional, ready to wow you from the moment you walk in, to make a fabulous evening into a great memory on Aruba!
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Barefoot is such a beautiful and romantic restaurant, I didn't even care that my food was average. I would go back in a minute. The staff were all extremely nice and seemed to genuinely want us to enjoy our time there. If you're not set on sitting directly on the beach in the sand, I recommend requesting one of the tables along the railing. They are elevated a few feet above the beach, and you don't have to worry about getting into bed with sandy feet later that night :)

Write a ReviewReviews (3,642)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I rarely if ever write a review. I have always been in the restaurant industry...from waiting tables to bartending to now distribution of fine wines/spirits for over 14 years. I know food...and I know service. I also have been to aruba over 7 times and have seen the best and worst. This is hands down the WORST restaurant we have been to. What a waste of money! Yes, the view is great, but lets be real, there are a ton of places to go in aruba for a sunset. It's not hard to come by. Tuna is one of my absolute fav's. I prefer it raw if I had a choice...and barefoot gave me that choice...2 ways! How excited I was...until I got it. Disgusting! The tartar was so full of soy sauce that I didn't know if they were covering something up. It wasn't bright and pink..it was dark and fishy. And the slices of tuna...forget it. I smelled it, sampled a corner and was grossed out. We didn't have to worry about paying for it though...because the 2 dark hairs in the app stopped my boyfriend from eating it. I gave up as soon as it was in front of me. Did they take it off the bill, yes! Did a manager come over to apologize?? No. WRONG MOVE! That manager should have been over to me as soon as there was a problem. He avoided our table the whole time. Dinners came. Grouper with shrimp and truffle sauce. Sounds good huh? I had 3 small shrimp that I did eat. A piece of grouper that tasted like it was just thawed out. Vegetables that was maybe 2 oz and cold. I will say mashed potatoes...good. I ate 4 bites and gave up. My boyfriend's meal, no better. No salt. No texture. Just pure bland and bad food. I spend alot of money on food and wine. It's part of my busines to do so...so i'm very fortunate. The server was very kind and apologetic. He also gave us two free drinks on the house and took our app off bill. The SERVER handled it correctly. The Management did not. Save your money!! I will say, the one restaurant on the beach that we did have great food and service was Passions. But, if you are looking for great apps...go to Aqua Grill. Lobster salad....delish. The spicy salmon tartar...to die for! La Vista at Marriott for lunch...shrimp scampi pizza...yum! Also..Proscuitto, arugala, pesto, shaved parm sandwich...delish. My favorite place for price and quality and quantity...madame jeanettes. Almond crusted grouper with creamed spinach. You wlll eat it for days! And the hot, fresh bread with garlic butter and pickled onions to start (yes..a freebie..and as much as you want...)....plus a nice list. Pricey..but there are gems on there...Grunier Veltliner...great with your fish dishes. The Argentina steak..done to perfection. Skip the sauces (mushroom and au poive...didn't like either. We would do bernaisse next time).Skip barefoot...trust me....

1  Thank Wineknow2000
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We visited Barefoot Restaurant for dinner 02/12/13 while on a Celebrity Eclipse cruise. Since we had a late (9:45pm) departure, we decided to look into restaurants for dinner off the ship. Especially since Aruba has such fantastic restaurants.

Barefoot seemed to be the perfect choice...on the beach, sunset, great menu. As it turned out, we couldn't have been happier with our choice.

We a made a reservation on-line, for 5:30pm to be able to enjoy the sunset. The staff was so helpful and friendly, making us feel welcome even before we arrived! The Royal Mojito with champagne in place of soda was wonderful. We had the grouper and snapper for dinner; each was delicious, and beautifully prepared. The server was a great help in making recommendations. Although it rained briefly when we arrived, the sun came back out in time for a gorgeous sunset.

An added bonus was being able to see the ship lit up at night from the pier.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Literally on the beach just east of downtown Oranjestaat. Run (owned?) by Dutch expat who clearly knows what he's doing. Wonderful food, romantic dining experience.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Every trip to Aruba, we try to have dinner at least once on the beach. This vacation we decided to try Barefoot. We made reservations at 5:30 so we would not miss the sunset around 6-6:30. The food was top notch. For appetizers we had the tomato soup, seafood ragout, and crab cakes. Entrees included the caribbean grouper with a mango cream cheese, the beef tenderloin, the red snapper, and the fish trio of grouper, snapper, and mahi mahi with a lemon garlic sauce. Each entree is was served with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. The best part of the meal had to be dessert. Barefoot has a few classic desserts with a twist (coffee creme bulee, banana tiramisu).

One complaint I have is its close proximity to the airport. Every time a plane comes to land or take off, the restaurant is drowned by their loud roars. Another complaint would be the beach patrons in from of the restaurant. Because Aruba's beachs are public, you stand the chance that you will have to put up with beach goers as you try and enjoy your meal.