“Hidden gem in Aruba”
Review of Gostoso

Gostoso
Ranked #2 of 235 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Cuisines: Caribbean, Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Description: Gostoso a local favorite restaurant, that serve a blend of both Portuguese and Aruban Cuisine, which is designed to delight even the most discriminating Palate. With our cozy and small atmosphere and impeccable service at a reasonable price “Gostoso Restaurante” will be your next favorite neighborhood Restaurant.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Gostoso was recommended by my wife's co-worker and did not disappoint. This local favorite is off the beaten path but still only an $11 cab ride from our hotel, which was near Eagle Beach in the low-rise district. Only warning... If you are looking for a nice ocean / sunset view you won't find it here.

We benefitted greatly from visiting Aruba during the slow season, as we were the only guests in this intimate 15-table restaurant, and we enjoyed attentive service from the entire wait staff.
As other reviewers have noted, the restaurant Director and head chef Jose gave us a detailed description of his favorite menu items, and visited multiple times during our meal to check in.

Drinks- we ordered red sangria, a dry gin martini and a 1/2 bottle of cab... All very tasty and served well.

Apps- Sushi rolled in thinly sliced plantains, and fish chowder, both to die for.

Entrees- Wife got the Golden snapper in mango sauce, I had ribeye with a portobello mushroom glaze. I couldn't decide between the special and the ribeye, and Jose offered to substitute the ribeye into the special. Both delicious and extra points for being flexible.

For dessert we had Tres Leches cake which the wife said was the best dessert she ever had.

Hot sauce- Made with a blend of Aruban peppers... added a nice kick to the soup, sushi and meat. May have been my favorite part of the meal.

Value- Tremendous. All this for $111 USD

Finishing touch was a picture of us with Jose. Overall amazing experience and would return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I found this restaurant off tripadvisor, read the great reviews and was not disappointed. The owner Jose comes over to each table to explain all the dishes and how they are prepared. My friend and I decided on their sushi appetizer which was delicious. I had the grouper kebab which comes on a hanging skewer and with clams, shrimp and scallops and that was excellent. My friend had the mixed seafood dish which was also very good. For dessert we had the Tres Leches cake and coconut flan and both were very good also. One thing that was another surprise for me was that I recognized our server Marisa, who previously worked in another favorite restaurant of mine and she recognized me too! So it felt very warm and friendly inside. This place is a little off the beaten path but if you want great food, great service with a friendly atmosphere, please try this restaurant. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

When we travel, we usually look for local cuisine -not what we can get in the US. That's part of the travel experience. We like to take in the food and the culture. Well, Gostoso did not disappoint. We dined at some of the popular sites in Aruba, however, we have to say that Gostoso was the best. Even our 6 and 3 year old girls stuffed themselves. The hospitality and company the staff provided made us feel like we were eating with friends and family. It's a little off the beaten path (not in the hotel districts) but still accessible. We travel the Caribbean a lot. This is definitely one of our favorites. Keep up the good work.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Gostoso Restaurante International Cuisine specialized in Portuguese, Arabian food. Great ambience! Excellent Food! Mr. Jose De Nascimento the owner comes personally to your table and explains in detail the menu. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We went here with two newly made friends from NJ, it was their choice and we were not disappointed. The menu has an authentic Aruban feel about it and was explained in detail and in person by the owner. Be aware that portions are large, by British standards, I shared the sushi roll starter with one of my friends and, although we are both good eaters, we struggled to finish it. My partner had the fish croquettes which were delicious. I then had the Aruban beef stew, Cabrito Stoba, which was delicious, tender and tasty. All four of us shared a dessert as we were all so full! The three layer sponge cake was delicious, I would go back to Gostos just for this! Oh yes, and the Sangria which is very moreish!
The restaurant is very family friendly, brightly decorated and very clean. The staff are friendly and professional. All in all a very good restaurant that delivers good food, what more could you want?