“Enjoyable. Indifferent Management.”

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed December 22, 2009

This was our 7th stay at the Divi/Tam Hotel Complex. It was nice as usual. Great location, close to downtown Oranjestad and shopping. Long, uncrowded beach. Clean, comfortable rooms. Very nice restaurants. Great deal for the money. Some staff very caring; others not so friendly.
The 8 people in our party have stayed here many times and thought it appropriate to pass along the names of staff members who always go the extra mile to accomodate guests and make them feel welcome. The general manager refused to talk with us even though the front desk staff told us they would send him over to where we were sitting a few feet away. We tried at least a dozen times over a two day period with no luck. A voice mail had similar results. This made us realize that if management was indifferent to compliments from guests, they would most certainly not respond to concerns or complaints. We will explore other options, as well, on future visits to Aruba

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank denmiller2003
Write a ReviewReviews (3,502)

Reviewed December 19, 2009

( Pronounced tam mer' jin) PRO's & CON's (no order) __Food was excellent and varied, Come as you are, although you might put on the glad rags for Paparazzi. The portions are generous and it's usually too much to finish; I tried. Cunucu Terrace Restaurant is the smallest and you cook your own food on the center of the table/cooktop. Yum! All have 'seatings' so make reservations early accross from the front desk so you can have a convenient time. You can have a casual pizza lunch at the Pizza Per Tutti (Tamarijn) or the Coco Grill Pizza Bar (Divi) You will be eating breakfast and lunch at the buffet at the Cunucu Terrace.(Dinner too, great for kids) Yum!(note: only eat deserts off the top 2 shelves from the refrigerated dessert cabinet,unsupervised youngsters can't reach there)__Drinks were great. They have daily specials you can try, the same specials everywhere, including the Divi (you have privleges there too). Cabernet wine was excellent with 3 kinds, my favorite 'Colon'. You can order 2 drinks per person at a time.(If you want to hang out at your place you can buy the good stuff at the little store in the Tamarijn; prices are not too far out of whack, but you might want to BYO bitters and other rare mixers in your checked luggage-wrapped in bubblelite!) Bars close at 1am, the Bunker at 7pm: too long a walk back to the balcony/groundroom with 2 drinks. At Bunker Bar the sea looked silver due to the suns reflection, stunning...maybe that's why they had so many satisfied customers...the overhanging thatched roof gives it a cozy appeal, as well as the stilts that it is raised up on. It also has 24/7 (2) coffee machines.( and at the Cunucu)___BEACH + ROOMS, Beach is fine powder, white sand and only a few steps from the ground floor 'Ocean View'. Our bed was divine. HBO...flat panel, remote, waves rolling in...why leave the room?The 1400-1700 buildings (approx) have vest pocket lawns between the beach and the ground floor; actually , they all have 'lawns' with the aforementioned being a little bigger. Those folks 'claim' their lounge chairs early AM using private towels, some secured with large spring clips (wind). The edge of the boardwalk is lined with thatched 'umbrellas' in the sand, that shade part of the day. Although, we stayed on the second floor for the balcony, I noticed the ground floor people were enjoying themselves. If you don't like a party, stay out of bldg 1400, there is alot of carryover from the music of the nightly floor show at the Cunucu Terrace. I think it ends around 9:30pm. This is a pretty good, clean, beach walk because you have the Divi beach as well. There is a 4' wide, parallel, boardwalk between the ground floor 'lawn' and the beach. There is a stone path behind all the buildings and parallel with the boardwalk, no elevators. If you stay a while, you will become very familiar to both...if walking is a problem stay at 1300-1600 bldg.___STAFF: This is a well staffed resort! You don't have to tip to get service, but , I don't believe in not tipping. The bars have tip boxes, the restaurants have tables, etc. Bring plenty of small bills so you can reward good service because you will get it. I'm a big grouch and I didn't have a problem with anyone. The room cleaning maids were exceptional. They were never without a demure smile and Hello. Not just ours, but everyone you passed-Wow. So polite. We were so impressed, we gave ours a large tip early so we would'nt miss her. Tamarijn makes every effort to keep the place up at the edge of the ocean. The staff can add to a vacation and they do it at the Tamarijn.____GROUNDS: Well designed, landscaped, and kept. Unless you stay at the Dutch Villiage (re: 'Garden View', timeshare, Tamarijn) you will have an ocean view. I think every resort should be designed like this one: all ocean views. Both the cruise ships and container ships are far out (you are looking at the main shipping channel which is parallel to the beach, but way out). Considering wear and price, everything is in good repair. ____ENTERTAINMENT- My Aunt took me to Broadway in my early teens and I kept going when I got older. There were times when I didn't think people understood what quality they were seeing way out here. The floor show at the Cunucu Terrace was a blast. The costumes were top quality. The dancers were so obviously dedicated to their craft. I can tell...they hardly sweated or panted...even with difficult routines and heavy costumes..they gave it all, gestures and moves were complete, full, and broadcast talent and style___WIFI: this is a problem- your best bet is to hike down to the sunken lobby lounge and use the LINKSYS connection. There is a big flat panel there that can ruin concentration, in a good way. (great picture) You'll usually get 5 good bars connection and acceptable speed. You can't go out of that small area for reception. There's really no where to secure your notebook, but, there are outlets behind the loveseats. There are no paddle fans and it's hot, but it's OK to wear less clothes. For $50 US a week you can think you going to get WiFi in your room. There are multiple connections, each dedicated to certain buildings, but, they don't work. You'd be lucky to get one bar. I'm no techie, but the antennaes are behind the buildings, on the other side of the building from the balconies, mounted on the rooftops of the timeshares (Dutch Village) and aimed at the backs of the buildings; therefore a waste unless you can run a hardwired, WiFi catcher back through your front door. They got suckered. Dense trees,bushes, and solid objects (buildings) will screen out most antenae signals. They never had a chance. They immediately refunded my $50, no questions, and I used the lobby LINKSYS. Consider a netbook, that big battery laptop gets heavy. ___Fellow Guests- some Americans; few Brits; lots of platinum blond, blond from ?Netherlands?? All I know, everyone was very sweet and friendly and lots of people spoke an unfamiliar language and I loved it.____ARUBA- the north coast side of the island is deep water, wild, uninhabited and you need 4wd. Breathtaking from the air.(Get window seats on the left side of the airplane departing for Miami, the wing drops and WOW! ) The souththwest side is where the tourists are, Oranjestaed and casinos. Shopping. I've read that Grand Cayman had the Caribbeans' highest per capita income, but, after Aruba, it must be very close De Palm Island is only for little children; (water park: Mom take note: you might get a break here...the park is fenced, monitored top and bottom) or for cruise ship people. You have this and more at the Tamarijn/Divi and no view of the desalinisation plant!

12  Thank Twospeeder
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Had a great time... we had 3year olds to 70 year olds. The rooms were small but clean and we were barely in them. For n all inclusive the food was above par. The red parrot and Ginger were our favorites. The beaches were beautiful and you cant beat the view from the rooms!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Laurenbwg
Reviewed December 18, 2009

We chose Aruba because of the always friendly people, no attitudes. We picked this hotel because the rooms are directly on the beach, only steps from the surf. With the balcony door slightly open you could fall asleep every night to the sound of waves breaking.
Everything was clean, food was good, excellent wines and beers.
Quite windy all week so we were not able to use the sunfish. This may be normal for this part of the island as I've never encountered this problem when staying further towards the west end of the island.
The only negative is not specific to this hotel but needs to be mentioned. Smoking is allowed in their bars and restaurants so if you're a non smoker, forget about the beach bar entirely and select your seating very carefully in the restaurants. You will be beside smokers, just try to be upwind if it bothers you. It would be nice if a resort would take the jump and enforce no smoking in all buildings. Also, the jacuzzi did'nt work but that's normal for almost every resort.
Look over a site map and decide what room location would serve you best. We were in building 25. It has the most quiet beach but has the longest walk (3 minuites) for drinks and food.
We were not disappointed in any way. Great value for what we paid.

5  Thank eastwood00
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I stayed here 9 times in a 3 yr period.My wife & I like it but if you stay more than a week the food rotates. Meaning every day they have a differnt menu.Then it starts all over the next week so every monday they serve than same thing that they had the last monday.
The staff were very nice & helpful but they do push there time share across the street at the Dive Golf Village. The place is clean & comfortable but just OK. I tried to book it again at a last minute & they were booked so I found a place at the Aruba Occidental.That was the last time I stayed at the Tamarijin. The next 5 trips were at the Occidental. Much nicer food service & a load of things to do also closer to more of the Aruba sceen. Don't get me wrong the hotel was OK but I think for the $$ you can do better...Ron & Rita Powell NYC

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flytyingguy1
Reviewed December 15, 2009

We just returned from our second visit to the Tam - first time was 12 1/2 yrs ago and not much had changed except the interior of the rooms and perhaps the pizza place had grown. The food at the buffet for all meals was very good and this was NOT our first vacation to an island or even Mexico. Yes, sometimes the food is repetitious but you can always choose something else from the buffet because there were many choices. They do need to get into the twentieth century and ban smoking in all eating areas and we made our voices heard with that request - hopefully this will happen soon.
The drinks were also very good and also strong. They have top shelf alcohol and three different beers, Balashi, Miller LIte and Heniken - you just have to ask. The service was typically island slow and no where near as good as the resorts in Mexico but the beach made up for that. This is one of the cleanest places we have ever been and without a doubt if we found another deal we go back in a New York minute!
The Red Parrot is overrated as were the other restaurants that reservations are needed at but....making the reservation was very easy and you don't need to wait in line or get to the counter at 7 a.m. either - just go to the counter when no one is there during the day and ask when they have an opening. I do agree that for an all inclusive they need to rethink the extra charges for a safe key and internet but we did get a great deal so I wasn't too concerned.
Rent a car/jeep it's easy and cheap and see this lovely island.
All in all it was a pleasure to return to Aruba and enjoy their beaches.

6  Thank Julie A
Reviewed December 12, 2009

After reading the reviews for months. I feel obligated to return the favor. So here it is.
We are a family of 5. 3 boys ages 9, 12,and 16. We were in Aruba Dec 4- 11. Building 1400. Kids loved Aruba. You have to do submarine, parasailing, sea trek, and of course snokeling. Does not come with package but very worth it. snorkeling gear is free. Just take a ride to Arashi Beach. Not far from the Tam.
Hotel. The grounds are very beautiful and kept clean. Would've rather stayed at the Divi which is next door. the rooms are small but not as bad as people made it sound. Beds felt fine, 24'' flat screen tv, bathrooms do need updating. But not a big deal.
Most of the staff are very friendly. Drinks are strong, and taste very good. Especially the "brown lady". Breakfast was good. You can order pizza, popcorn, and chicken strips all day until 1am. Dinner? It was horrible. Every single dinner restuarant they had. includining the ones at Divi. Third night there they were able to let us book 2 restuarants in 1 night. After that, we went out to eat every night. Even Windows at Divi Village was bad. Great view but bad food. Please don't take my word for it. Everyone has a different taste. You have to try it out for yourself. If you do go out to eat. L.G Smith has great steak. Driftwoods has great seafood. Flying fishbone is a have to do. Chalet Suisse was good.
The beach? Has to be one of the best on the island. We went up to the high rise area. And was so glad we picked the Tam. Take a ride up there and you'll see what I mean. Very packed. If you stay at the Tam? Request 1400 and down. You'll see what they meant by rocky.
Tipping? We like to tip for good services. Even at an all inclusive. But I spoke to a couple of Dutch guys, and gals. The Europeans there get very offended if you tip in front of them. It makes them feel very cheap. They don't believe in tipping in Aruba.
All in all. The Tam is a good resort at a great location. For what your paying it is dirt cheap. Even if you have to go out for dinner every night. I think it is still worth it. Would I return to the Tam or Aruba? Absolutely not. Because there are so many places to explore in the world. I had my taste of paradise. And would rather blow my money in Disney World over Aruba anyday. Would I recommend the Tam or Aruba? Absolutely. You have to try it at least once. to see if you like it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Grumpee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#3 of 6 in Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!