“Very Laid Back and Relaxing”

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Binghamton, New York
“Very Laid Back and Relaxing”
Reviewed May 7, 2005

The Tam was exactly the type of place we were looking for to spend a week in the Caribbean. It's not luxurious or new, but very clean and adequate. This was our first experience with all-inclusive and we were very pleased. Drinks were good and generous. We ate in the Italian restaurant twice, the Red Parrott twice and the interactive Palm Grille once. We had dinner meals at each of the buffets (Tam and Divi) one night each. We had excellent food at the Papparazzi and Parrott. You could always find something good on the buffet. If you found something you didn't like, there were always plenty of other choices. We liked the idea of not having to carry around cash or credit cards everytime we went to find something to eat or drink. (The pizza and club sandwiches were good at the snack bar as well.)
It was really nice being able to walk out of your room and onto the beach without having to worry about a cover-up, shoes, etc. We also didn't miss having to trapse through hotel lobbys everytime we wanted to go to the room for something. It was very laid back and relaxing. We found the staff extremely helpful, especially Fred and Barbara. Tina was a great bartender and made some awesome drinks. The Divi was very nice and probably a little more upscale. It didn't have the same charm as the Tam. People at the Tam were just down right friendly and easy to talk to.
The rocks - not a problem. There was plenty of beach that was rock free.
Smoking - We are not smokers and did not experience any problems other than the butts that people thought should go in the sand and not an ash tray. Everything (bars, buffet areas) was outdoors with the exception of the Italian restaurant, so smoke really wasn't a problem.
It was so easy to get around with the bus system and we always felt safe. We took the jeep safari which really gave you a flavor of the North side of the island. We took the full day tour which also included time at DePalm Island. I enjoyed the snorkeling and blue parrot fish, but it was a little too stirred up for me by the time we got there in the afternoon. We also took a DePalm snorkeling tour. The reefs were just okay, but the shipwreck made the trip worth the time and money. The fish were incredible. One day we rented a car and went out to Baby Beach. There was one small opening in the coral formation that went out to sea. The snorkeling there was excellent. (Forget the larger opening that was a little further away. We didn't see one fish there). I would suggest going early as people came in by the bus loads (litterally) around noon and the water got stirred up quickly. Also, there are only four small leantos to get out of the sun. They were quickly claimed. We lucked out and did get under one. Otherwise, there is no protection from the sun.
We were looking for relaxing and laid back. That's what we found at the Tam. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed April 2005
26 Thank Boats 'n Beaches

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,011)
Reviewed May 4, 2005

We were there from April 10 thru April 17th. We are celebrating our 25th Anniversary this year, so we wanted to go somewhere special without the kids. The couple were with have been to the Tamarijn twice before and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. We totally agree now!
We stayed in the 2200 block. The rooms were fine and the beach was unbelievable! Right outside our door. We would get up in the morning, brush our teeth, put on our bathing suits and go for a dip in the ocean. Can't do that in Maine! It was so refreshing.
The Bunker Bar was a two minute walk from our room. It opens at 11 am
and we were there shortly after that. The drinks are wonderful and so are the bartenders. Roland, Jerry, and Ruben make the best Aruba Aribas!
Also, try their Neptunes and ChiChi's.
We had planned on doing alot on this trip, but once we were there, we didn't want to leave the beach or the hotel. We left only four times in the week. Once to shop downtown, we went on the Banana Bus one night, we rented a jeep and explored the north side of the island, and we went on a sunset cruise on the MiDushi. All of these things were great and we reccommend them, but I would be happy to just hang out at the hotel too.
We have been home for three weeks and are still not "over" this trip.
We are hoping on returning someday soon. The Tamarijn is the best for relaxing and has the best beachfront rooms. The highrise hotels cannot offer that.

31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta
Reviewed May 1, 2005

I read all the reviews of Tamarijn before booking our week and to be honest I was a little apprehensive!
The resort is as it is portrayed exactly. The rooms are like a "Days Inn" very spartan but adaquite and only 50 ft from the water honest. The four of us sleep well in the Air Conditioned room, watched Disney Channel and kept up to date on the world news. The water is terrific for showers, plenty of hot water and very, very clean for drinking. The resort and Aruba in general is a very sanitary, clean, hygenic and friendly environment a real plus and in my opinion a nessessity when traveling with children.
The food was good buffett food. Honestly, whats wrong with grilled steaks, roasted lamb, fresh burgers for lunch and fresh omlets for breakfast.
My daughters are very picky eaters and loved the food. The self serve ice cream machine and pizza cafe were terrific.
The beach was terrific very calm water, we snorkeled daily virtuly no surf.
Beautiful ocean water just amazing! We could watch the cruse ships from our room entering the harbor in the morning and departing at night.
We swam in pools at Divi, and Tamarijn every day. If I return I will stay at the Divi. It's prettier, and the service from staff more prompt. My only complant. Why don't they put pitchers of ice water on the tables like they do for coffee in the morning. We waited on average 15-20 minuites for a cup of water when dining at the buffett. Why? I did tip the servers for drinks and service, which didn't have any effect on quality of service. I don't get it I think it's the Carrabian culture?
It's as close to a care free, stress free Beach vacation I've ever found.

• Stayed April 2005
18 Thank timcga
Reviewed May 1, 2005

We just returned from a week at the Tamarijn and I wanted to share my thoughts.
The hotel is very attractive, with all rooms literally steps away from the beach.
The room we had was very clean, in great shape and well taken care of (it was cleaned every day by 11am!) There was a broken glass strip in the window that was fixed within a day or so. The beach was as nice as I've seen (a lot like Turks & Caicos which was just about perfect!) wide, and gorgeous water (so clear we saw a stingray swim by us!). We were able to secure a hut every morning as long as we were out by 7:30. We stayed in the 2200 block and this side never got too crowded or noisy. The drawback was it was a LONG walk to meals,(especially with an 82 yr old with us) and it was nice to have the Bunker Bar so close, but after 7pm, you had a long walk to get a drink or snack. If they kept the Bunker bar open til 12, that would help!
The one pool I thought was very small for a resort this size and worse, right behind our room was the Divi timeshares which had nicer pools but we were told we couldn't use them, yet they could use the beach huts which didn't seem fair.
The whole food thing we found uninspiring. We're not gourmets or fussy eaters, but we never found much to get excited about. The desserts were basically the same every meal and even specialty nights like the Mexican buffett was pretty bland (Doritos for tortilla chips?). The buffett place was find your own seat which at busy times was annoying. There were a few times (Friday morning especially) when we found plates stacked on tables and no one in a rush to move them. That's not too much to ask to have a clean place to sit. One couple was eating surrounded by dirty dishes but they had no choice! The tables by the beach were wonderful especially at sunset. We ate at the Italian restaraunt one night and found that average. A couple nights we ate at the Divi and liked the atmosphere there better-less like a cafeteria more like a restaraunt! Bikinis and bare feet are allowed though at all meals which is not real appetizing!!!
The activities were sparse. Our 8 year old did waited 45 minutes to play Bingo, did jewelry making another day and was waiting for swimming time when the "Fun Maker" (activities person) said they were "too tired, it was too hot, and let the parents watch their own kids in the pool".
The steel drum band, Carnival and Mexican dancers were good.
Our biggest complaint which would make us not recommend the Tamarijn is that smoking is allowed everywhere (Except the italian restaraunt)!! This really affected our week! This must be THE resort for smokers because they were EVERYWHERE!!! At meals, we were constantly in smoke! My wife asked the front desk and they said we have a non-smoking section, but the waitress said they didn't. We couldn't use our deck because the people next to us smoked and on the beach and in the bars.. This would be something to consider before selecting this hotel. Surprisingly, the rooms did not smell of smoke. Aruba is one of those places that does not have rules about smoking yet.
So to summarize, Aruba is a beautiful island with gorgeous beaches. The Tamarijn was a nice hotel that with non smoking areas and a little better food, we would recommend.

• Stayed April 2005
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Leeds, UK
Reviewed April 24, 2005

MY wife and I stayed at the Tamarijn in September 02 (sorry for the late entry - but only just discovered the lifesaver that is Tripadvisor).

We had a room that was all of 10 metres from the sea, with the one way window we were able to leave the curtains open and be woken by the sun.

The food was excellent, especially the breakfast omlettes and the non stop ice cream, and the facilities were very clean. We managed to extend our all inclusive offer to the sister hotel which was also top notch.

Oranjested was one of cleanest places I have ever been.

I recommend visiting the North coast to see "natural bridge" and how rougher the seas of the north are compared to southern gentle waters.

• Stayed September 2001
20 Thank CIMAman
Reviewed April 12, 2005

This was me and my fiancee's first time in Aruba. We stayed from 4/1/05-4/7/05. We picked the Tamirijn because it was directly on the beach, open air, and all inclusive. We opted for the mega all-inclusive package so that we had priviliges at the Divi also. I am amazed with all of the negative reviews this hotel received. We had a fabulous time. To start, I would like to say that not ONCE did we encounter any rude staff at either of the hotels. Everyone was very helpful and always genuinely friendly (not the ----kissing for a tip friendly.) Many people wrote in their reviews that service was slow or that they were treated like a nuisance. Maybe these people were simply rude to the staff. The Tam is not a five star hotel were you can demand this and that. We concluded that if people were given rude responses from staff it was their own fault. Treat people the way you would like to be treated!!! We had no slow service and the longest we waited for anything was maybe 5-6 minutes, which was no problem at all. Check in was quick and easy and we were quickly brought to our room (2110) with our luggage in these insane little golf carts. The room looked exactly the way it did on the Tamirijn's website. Didn't find the room too small at all. In fact we had more than enough room for all of our stuff. It was very clean and maid service was excellent. We asked her to send us a mini fridge and left the room for maybe twenty minutes and it was all hooked up for us when we returned. We also had no neighbors for the first 3 days of our trip so we had the entire balcony to ourselves. We had decided to take a room in the 2000-2500 block after hearing that the beach was the best in this area. Now the room IS a bit of a walk back to the main lobby. But the beach was absolutely gorgeous there. Besides, we were walking everyday and STILL gained a bunch of weight between us. Every few minutes there are golf carts that circle around between the two hotels and casino and if you don't want to walk you can simply wait to get picked up.
Ok, onto the food. The buffet menu was hit or miss. Sometimes the food was great, other times just ok. We always got there early so it was a non-issue about the food sitting there for hours being picked through. We never left hungry though. Omelet station was fantastic. We had one everyday for breakfast. Don't eat the eggs from the buffet tray unless you like them very greasy. Birds didn't bother us and if you don't feed them they will leave you alone. Flies were a little annoying but they are just regular houseflies and we just swatted them :P. Lunch buffets were actually pretty good. They changed them everyday so it didn't get boring for us. Dinners were good also. There are different themes for every night. Ate at the Paparazzi once. I loved my food. Hubby thought it was ok. Didn't get to visit the Red Parrot unfortunately. Palm grill was very good also, although by the end of the meal we were practically covered in sweat from all the heat. The pizza tutti was yummy also.
Drinks... WOW. Definitely worth the it!!! We are 24 and 26 years old on vacation for the first time in five years with NO KID. So we were definitely into partying during our freedom and these guys do not mess around with the drinks. Almost TOO strong. Bartenders were awesome!!! Jerry what up!!!! Heheheheh ask them for a L.I iced tea or a Wet dream (apricot brandy, gin, grenadine and lemon juice) knock you on your --- ;)
So after touring the island during the day that's where we hung out most of our nights. Everyday the same group of people hahaha. The drinkers crew. :D Woke up hungover almost everyday. First thing in the morning we ran outside and jumped into the ocean (which was crystal clear and warm throughout the week.) Felt great after a few minutes and ready to go. Water truly is a cure all.
Onto the evening entertainment. We saw Battle of the Sexes which was hilarious. Hubby took off his pants in a minute for one of the teams. There was salsa and meringue dancing which we thought was fun. The dancers didn't appear amatuerish at all to me. Very, very, loud music but have a few of those cocktails I mentioned earlier and it won't bother you much;) On the fourth day we visited the Alahambra Casino. Nice, but small. They actually have PENNY SLOTS. Good place to lose money quickly and laugh about it with all the other people doing the same thing.
Wanted to address some of these issues people had with "boulders."
Number one, they are not "boulders," they are just large rocks. Which we did not see until we were about 10 feet from the buffet area. Now common sense would say after reading all of these reviews you can either ask for a room further away from the main lobby and restaurants (2000-2500 block) were there are NO rocks and do a bit of walking. OR you can request a room close to everything were there was a few large rocks. Now I don't understand what all of this nonsense was about how people couldn't get to the beach because of the rocks. That's insane, walk around them, end of problem :P
Now, onto the weather. YES, IT IS HOT IN ARUBA. It is practically on the equator. But, it is constantly windy so that the heat is not unbearable. People complaining about how hot it is pick another place to go that's just silly to blame it on the hotel. Another thing, if you want to go sit on the balcony or patio, simply turn off the AC before you go outside. We had sunny days all week with the exception of 10 minutes of cloudiness which was quickly blown away with the winds. The weather is practically the same everyday (hot, sunny, windy.) *Tip for the ladies, I brought my hairdryer, mousse and a bunch of makeup. Wasted room in my suitcase. Just bring lipstick and a scrunchie. The hair will be blown out or fall flat. Makeup other than lipstick and waterproof/sweatproof mascara will melt off your face. Wore hair in bun or ponytail all week. Leave the styling stuff at home. :)*
On the second day there we had a wedding to go to at the Wyndham. Now this is a very nice hotel don't get me wrong. Air-conditioned, room service, the works. This is also touted as all-inclusive although you get ONE free drink with dinner, after that you pay (including room service and other amenties.) We went up to my father-in-law's room and had a side view of the beach and it took almost 10 minutes just to get to it. Very crowded also. F.I.L said they had to get up very early to get chairs and a spot on the beach. Plus dress codes to go through the lobby during the later part of the day!!!!. Somewhat snooty guests. At the Tam and the Divi it was a very relaxed atmosphere. Also never had a problem finding a spot on the beach or a chair. You can go to dinner with shorts or your bathing suit on. No need to get all dressed up fancy-schmancy. The people we met were fantastic also. Laid back, friendly and not picky about every last detail. When we visited the Divi the overall group of guest seemed more of our age range (mid twenties early thirties.) At the Tam it is a bit more family oriented but we still made many friends that we plan to see from the states.
So in conlusion, the value that we got for our trip was DEFINITLY worth it. 5 nights/6 days which turned into 6 nights/7 days (last day flight was canceled and we were put up by the hotel free) $2875 (flight INCLUDED.) Staff, guests, the hotel itself was fantastic. Going back in 6 months to Tam :D If you are more comfortable with the room service ac highrises choose those. Father-in-law paid $4000 for same amount of time at Wyndham (NOT INCLUDING FLIGHT) We loved the ambience of the Tam. Relaxed environment, the whole tropical feel of the open air lobby/restaurants, and laid back approach. And of course the all you can eat and drink deal too heheh. Aruba really is one happy island and this hotel made us one happy couple.

*Final tip* Go to a store before going to Aruba and buy Thermos cups!!!! Kept drinks cold, bug and sand free all day... everyone was jealous of us:D

62 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2005

First of all let me start by saying I had never been to Aruba and I had never done all inclusive. I have however visited St. Martin several times and Curacao once. I absolutely loved Aruba! The people were so friendly and I have never felt so safe...and that's a big plus for me. Now let's move onto the review of the Tam.
THE ROOMS: Are average size and clean. The room had a hairdryer and an ironing board and iron. Safe is available for 2.00 a day. We asked for a room fridge and received one within a half an hour at no charge. We had a king size bed, a small sitting area and enough drawer and closet space for all of our stuff. The bathroom was a little run down with poor water pressure (as did every other hotel in St. Martin when I stayed there), but it was clean and well lit. A/C was fine and there was a ceiling fan as well. TV came in fine. The main problem I had with the rooms was the lack of privacy on the balconies. We happened to have an end room and the balcony was set back about five feet from the others. Had we not I wouldn't have been as happy, as there is no privacy between the balconies or patios below. If you want to spend time out there you do need to shut your room A/C off because they do give off heat outside while they're running....no biggie.
THE BEACH: We were in building 2400, it's toward the end of the complex and the beach there was AWESOME...very few rocks, big expansive beach. We swam with sea turtles almost everyday! Pelicans diving for their food were amazing...beautiful colors to the water...PERFECT. We didn't have any seaweed or rough surf...rolling waves that were fun to swim in and not scary at all. It was just stunning at sunset. I have some pictures that I took from my balcony that I can't believe I took! The cruise ships just roll by your room in the morning...I can't describe how beautiful it was. It's also good to know when not to go into town! (stay away when the ships are in...very busy!) I'm an early riser, so getting a beach hut wasn't an issue for me. There were days when on our end of the beach there were a couple available at all times...however this didn't seem to be the case further up the hotel. I can see how where your room is could change the "feel" of your vacation. We were more secluded, and although we had a small hike to get to activity and food, I preferred where we were.
THE FOOD: Ok...the buffet is eh. It's not bad...and you won't leave there hungry. This isn't about gourmet eating folks...not on the all inclusive. One of my draws to St. Martin was the food in Grand Case...this didn't come close. It's not horrible though...I liked quite a bit of it. (my clothes kind of let me know that when they didn't feel quite so loose!). I have heard people whine about the birds...it's not that serious people. Just don't sit over by where they pile up the dirty plates. They gather there. I fed them...they didn't bother me in the least. The pizza place right off the pool was pretty good too! There's no room service, but that place stays open till 1 am. We ate at the Red Parrot at the Divi (get the mega deal...trust me...the Divi is nice and you'll want to go over there and investigate the food and atmosphere). If you eat at the Red Parrot you really should eat outside...it's a very nice romantic atmosphere. Food was good...I had pepper steak. We ate off the complex a couple of times just to get out.
THE STAFF: I can't imagine what people are talking about when they refer to the staff being rude! These people bent over backwards for us. So nice! We took golf carts all over the place...it was hot and we were on vacation...we didn't want to walk sometimes! One guy took us on a death ride (well not really) it was a blast, he went on the boardwalk, up over the shower...he was crazy, and we laughed so hard! So much fun. We gave them all tips...just a buck or two. They didn't act like they expected it and thanked us each time. Whether or not that was why we got good service I don't know...but we had wonderful service. They are always raking, cleaning, painting, WORKING HARD. I live on the Cape and know what it's like to depend on tourism...if we were only HALF as nice here as they were! ;) I truly can't say enough about the staff. I was sad to leave them. We got lots of hugs on our departure!!
THE GROUNDS: We didn't swim in the pools...not once. I don't understand pool people. The ocean was just too inviting! The grounds are neat, with lots of palms, cactus, flowering bushes etc...it's pretty. The atmosphere around the hotel is very casual, although you would see lots of people all dudded up for dinner or the casino, you could see someone fresh off the beach eating beside them. If you want to get dressed up to go to the lobby this place isn't for you. If you want to go with flip flops and a baseball cap this place is right up your alley!
Okay, in general we loved the Tam. You can't beat the location of the rooms...the beach is right out your back door. I don't know what some people expect or want on a vacation, but you have lots of choices here. I chose to veg out on the beach, eat, shop and do a little gambling. Aruba offers lots of tours, horseback riding etc...so you could make it a lot more exciting than my vacation. :) If you want to be right on the beach, have no worries about carrying lots of cash around, eat well, be treated well then go to the Tam...if you're a whiner, or hard to please, pay double and go to the high rise section.

• Stayed March 2005
65 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!