“Can't wait to go back!!!!”

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
A TripAdvisor Member
“Can't wait to go back!!!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Tam. Both in our 30's, we didn't want a spring break party atmosphere and the Tam and Aruba was perfect for us to spend time together and to meet some very nice people. The locals were the nicest that either one of us has ever encountered on any of the other caribbean islands. That was very important to us not to be harassed once we left the resort and we found everyone to be extremely nice. Each day we could do nothing or anything we wanted. We stayed in 2103 and were happy with the maid service, but the room itself was only OK, but who really cares since we were in the room very seldom anyway. Walking out the door and only having a couple of steps to the beach was exactly what we wanted. The view was amazing as was the beach itself! The food was good and plentiful. We ate at the Paparazzi and the Red Parrot and didn't really care for either one, but the buffet always had something we liked. The birds got on my nerves, but if you don't feed them, as my husband did, than they won't bother you. Drinks were good and any complaints about the cups being too small, just get two to go! The walk from the room to the food was a long one, but it was an enjoyable walk to see the iguanas and walk off the massive amounts of food we had just eaten. Did the island tour with Depalm tours and that was OK, just to see everything on the island and for us to decide where we wanted to go once we went on our own with a jeep. Went to Depalm island for 1/2 a day and snorkled with the awesome Blue Parrot fish there. That was by far the best for us. I only wish we had booked the whole day. I have absolutely no complaints about the entire trip and can't wait to go back! Oh, by the way, I do have one suggestion, if you decide to stay at the Tam. Take your room key with you at all times if you are on the lower level even if you are just laying on the beach. The maid will lock your sliding glass door when she's done cleaning. We had several of our neighbors get locked out.

• Stayed February 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
Reviewed March 1, 2005

I can't believe people that complain about the weather and then blame that on the hotel! Aruba is 12 degrees north of the equator, it's suppose to be hot!

The hotel was great! Being right on the beach was a huge plus. There was no problem finding something to eat. We are morning people so getting a pappala and beach chairs was never a problem.

I would give this place and excellent rating, but I'm not crazy about the outdining and all the birds around.

We'll be back.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
usa
Reviewed February 28, 2005

Just returned yesterday.. My family (two teen daughters & hubby) were ready to head back home to MN the middle of vacation week. Our room (1604) at the Tamarjin All-Inclusive was the worst we've ever had. the deck was rotten wood that was tiny (6' x 12') and you were elbow to elbow with the family next to you as you couldn't use half the deck due to air conditioner blowing hot air on half. The room was small. This normally would not have really bothered us but for the fact the the Heat was Horrible and you spent half you day in the Air conditioned room. From 11a.m. to 4pm it was too hot to be outside doing anything but swimming. I spent two days sick with heat stroke. The food was nothing to write home about (we've stayed at many all-inclusives). You sure would not want to spend time out on a jeep tour or horse back riding as you would most certainly suffer heat stroke..Always be near air conditioner. Our kids are always happy to just swim or take walks..but, they could not stand the heat either. It was the worst $5,000 ever spent...will never go back to Aruba.

• Stayed February 2005
9 Thank ppq
massachusetts
Reviewed February 19, 2005

We stayed at the Tam for Thanksgiving week, it was a mistake. We upgraded so we could use the facilitie at the Divi as well. They gave us one of the most remote buildings. Yeah sure they are all on the beach but there were no palapas near us, the beach was corroded and when we walked a mile or two to get to an umbrella we found them to be taken, very early in the morning. The only ones we could use were near the road with constant traffic.

Dont get me wrong, I have stayed at a low rise and been thrilled. Stayed at the Manchebo for less money and found the beach ten times better.

Food at the tam was fine for breakfast (full buffet) and lunch (salads and burgers good, the rest I think was leftovers from the evening buffet). The maid service was super and the serves and bartenders were great. The food in the two restaurants where you needed reservations was low quality and the service there was not good. Dinners are a joke. Guess you get what you pay for. We went out to eat a couple of nights to get a decent meal. Drinks were really really weak. We bought shots from the liquor store to add alchohol, otherwise drank the lousy wine and beer.

Hate to be so depressing but we normally stay at the marriott and thought this would at least have a decent beach. Live and learn.

• Stayed November 2004
8 Thank lovevtovacation
Reviewed February 15, 2005

My wife and I just got back from a week long trip to the Tam from Feb. 6-13. We had a great time there and thought the place was nice. I had read all of the reviews here before we left, and it amazes me what the differences are in these reviews. The location right on the water is simply amazing. When we checked in, we were first given room 1410. I mentioned the fact that I had emailed a few weeks back about requesting rooms in 1900-2500 and if that would be possible. He went in the back and came back with room 2112 which turned out to be a great room on a really nice part of the beach. I also got a small fridge put in the room for no charge. A room safe costs $2/day. As for the room, it was very clean and nice. It looks like they have renovated all but maybe 2 buildings of the shaky decks/patio and crappy furniture that some people had complained about with nice heavy wood with dark stain patios/fronts with metal/glass railing now which I thought looked really nice. And they have nice new stainless chairs and a table on each too. Again, the view of the water from the balcony was awesome. Maid service was good. As for beach, it was great in front of 1900-2500 and good in all other areas too. I must say though, for everyone complaining about boulders, I think you are crazy. There were no rocks I would deem boulders anywhere with nothing bigger than like 2ft diameter. And even where there were some rocks, they were only small piles. Perhaps if the beach erodes, more are visible? As well, the beach was much wider than I imagined from reviews. I do agree that they need more beach lounge chairs as they ALL were claimed by towels by 9am almost every day. The beach towels could be bigger and nicer too. Something I found poor was the Tam running a tractor pulling a beach rake during prime beach times on 2 days. This should be done either early morning or late evening since people were on the beach so obviously the tractor had to skip large sections then. The Caribbean did manage to cough up a large amount of seaweed at the end of the week which lined the entire beach area only in front of the 1900-2500 block. As for the water, it is in every blue color of the world. I was disappointed somewhat though that it was crystal clear the first 2 days, but then got cloudy the next 3 which meant you could do no snorkeling. We had fun snorkeling right off the beach from the resort. We saw all kinds of colorful fish including some large barracuda and a large starfish. As for weather, I was disappointed in that as it was not sunny or even partly sunny every day like any weather or Aruba sites say it is. It was completely cloudy for 3.5 days we were there with the clouds never clearing out over the water horizon the entire week. It only sprinkled I think 2 times during the day though. I agree with someone on this site who said Aruba is going through some kind of climate shift as based on tracking the weather for 2 months prior, it was cloudy a large amount of time. Regardless, we did have a great time though. A word of caution, the cloudy days will be just as bad for sunburns, so don’t let the clouds and wind fool you. As for the sun strength, it was definitely the strongest out of anywhere we have been as we got very tan, my swim trunks faded the most, and our hair got some blonde areas in it. This was also the first time we did not switch from SPF 30 to 15 until the last 2 days of our trip versus the usual of midweek. As for the food, it was acceptable. The buffet is definitely a small one compared with other resorts we have been. Desserts were kept cold in a nice glass fridge but choices were essentially the same all week long. I wholeheartedly agree that the birds are a nuisance at the buffet area not to mention a health hazard. The Tam needs to make these birds disappear one way or the other. We have never encountered birds at any other open-air resort restaurants so it is obviously possible to make them disappear. We ate at the Red Parrot once and it was great. We ate at the Papparazi twice and I didn’t like the food the first time but the second time was great, especially getting your own bottle of wine at the table. The reservation system was the best and easiest we have encountered yet. The pizza from Tutti was very good as well. We had any and all kinds of mixed/frozen drinks all week and all were good and most had enough or usually more than enough alcohol. You could also request any of the name brand alcohol at any time. We thought the nightly shows were entertaining and the dancers were pretty good. There were more shows at the Tam than the Divi. As for exploring, we simply walked downtown to do any souvenir shopping and such. Anyway, in conclusion, we had a really good time here, got great tans, and feel this place is a good resort for the money.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minnesota
Reviewed February 14, 2005

We stayed at the Tamarjin Aruba the week of January 16, 2005. I found others comments extremely helpful in making our decision and I hope my feedback helps you as well. We are a thirty’s couple with kids age 4 & 7. LOCATION - If your primary objective in finding a resort is proximity to the ocean then stop looking and come to the Tamarijn. All Tamarjin rooms are in 2-story buildings situated right on the beach facing the ocean straight on, not at an angle. Although we requested a lower level room, we didn’t get one and we ended up happy about that because we like to sleep with the door open (to hear the ocean) and if you have a first floor room security nightly checks your doors to ensure they are locked for safety reasons. Our kids could also watch Disney on TV and we could be laying on the beach without worry, it was that close. ROOM CLEANLINESS - I am a clean freak and yes the rooms yet simple were clean. DECKS - My only complaint is the deck between you and your neighbor is only separated by a railing so if you both happen to be wanting to sit outside at the same time you can practically join in on their conversation or breath in their second hand smoke. The lower level rooms have slightly more privacy between them. ROOM LOCATION – Where you want your room depends on what you’re looking for: The 2400+ rooms are the furthest walk but the quietest. The 2000-2300 block of rooms, are a hike too but have the best beach area. The 1900-2000 are closest to the bunker bar and anything between 1500-1800 is in my opinion too close to the eating/pool/common area i.e. noisy and most have older decks. On the other side of the common area are a couple of more buildings if you also want to be close to the action. DRINKS – Never a shortage, good quality, and any kind you can think of. FOOD – Here was the biggest disappointment for me. I’m a pretty decent cook and presentation and taste are important to me. If you don’t like to cook or aren’t really picky you’ll be satisfied. The breakfast buffet was the same everyday and in my opinion, awful. The omlets are drenched in grease and the pancakes/French toast are flimsy from sitting under the heat lamp. The fresh fruit, yet ample, looked like prepared by a butcher (I told you I’m about presentation). Lunch and dinner buffet was ok, at least it changed daily. To get the freshest I suggest being there right when they open for lunch or dinner. Service in the buffets was very quick and with a smile. For the specialty restaurants I suggest making all your reservations on your first day so you don’t have to worry about it again. The Paparazzi (Italian) had very, very slow and not friendly service and the food was hit or miss. We ate there twice and on the first night my salad and my entrée didn’t even come close to resembling what the menu described it as, very bad. I ended up stopping off at the buffet to fill the gap. The second time we ate there I had the special of the evening and was happy with it. The Red Parrot (Caribbean fare at the Divi side of the resort) was my favorite, we ate there twice and although the food was just average you could get a table outside and watch the sunset and service was much better here. There was very little seafood offered anywhere at this resort, which is disappointing since you are in the Caribbean. The Pizza bar at the Tamarijn was so very slow and dirty; I’m surprised more people don’t get sick. Quite honestly, the employees working this pizza bar would blatantly ignore you or completely disappear for 45 minutes at a crack; people were obviously put off by the poor service. The Pizza bar at the Divi was all around better. The round the clock ice cream machine and coffee machine were much appreciated and got a work out from the guests. CLEANLINESS OF RESORT – I would say its average. The buffets can get dirty but with the turnover of people it’s to be expected. Lots of birds hang out in the buffet so look out for droppings on your chair or table. CHILDRENS ACTIVITIES – Plenty for all ages to partake in during business hours during the week. FLOATS/TOWELS – You can sign them out daily. BEACH CHAIRS – As usual they’re a commodity. People start hording them so don’t feel guilty for going out on the beach and taking one that someone has marked if they haven’t shown up for hours, its not fair to horde. KIDS FOOD – I have really picky kids. Thank goodness for pizza, chicken nuggets and fries because my kids lived off them. CHECKOUT – Its easy however they try to sneak in a daily “donation” to the YMCA so you need to say “no” if you don’t want that on your bill. If you have kids and a late flight out I suggest letting them swim in the pool till the last second and then showering them up in the bathrooms closest to the front desk where they have extra towels and showers for just this purpose. RENTAL CARS – We rented a Jeep Wrangler, my husband is tall and insisted on a full size jeep. We used Economy rental which is just a short trip from the resort and they will pick up and return you and the prices were right and the jeeps were in good shape. MUST SEE - If you rent a car don’t miss Baby Beach, it was awesome, calm, shallow waters with excellent snorkeling (bring bread). My kids loved the fish, which were not shy. Hardly any people there I think because it’s hard to find and not close to any resorts. There is a stand that sells snacks and snorkel equipment if you need it. Be warned beach chairs will cost you $5/@ but you don’t need them because you’ll always be in the water. We were told DePalm Island was the best snorkeling but I have to disagree. On our trip there the water was very rough and you had to swim out quite a ways to get to the “good fish”. Its not a place to bring kids, they’ll be bored as the “beach” area is full of coral and not a true swimming area and my children tried to snorkel but gave up because of the waves. It may have just been a bad, rough day? The buffet they offered left much to be desired. Bring aqua shoes if your brining kids here. The natural bridge is something to see, huge tourist attraction. We saw may other attractions but these were the ones I felt were worth noting. In one full day we canvassed the island and saw everything we wanted to and was well worth the one day jeep rental.
In summary we loved the resorts location. The service and food was only marginal. Cleanliness was good. Drinks were excellent. For the all inclusive price, and kids under 18, free it’s a good value – give it a try but stay at the Tamarijn, not the Divi as you can always use the Divi facilities and restaurants if you buy the right program at the time of booking your trip. Have fun!

34 Thank TeriMinnesota
Reviewed February 9, 2005

"a fabulous week in paradise" We took the GWV Charter which is a direct flight from BDL [CT] on Jan 30 and returned on Feb 06. This is our seventh trip to Aruba and our fifth stay at the Tamarijn. We absolutely love Aruba. We joyfully returned to the Tamarijn after experiencing the high rise hotels in Aruba and visiting other Caribbean islands. Where else, but the Tamarijn, can you walk out of your hotel and step into the beautiful warm ocean. We were in the 1100 area which offers a very sandy white beach with no rocks. We were amazed at the changes to the beach area at the TAM. The surf was tremendous, which is very unusual. Now for the details. The check in line was very long as there were several charters from Logan and BDL which arrived at the same time. The line moved slowly, but the staff was friendly and accomodating. Our room was available and spotless with one double drawer dresser, two large single drawer dressers and a large closet area with plenty of hangers. I always bring some. Certainly ample room. The towels were plentiful and plush. We did bring our own soap and shampoo as we remembered they offer only the liquid shampoo/soap and lotion container built into the shower. One of the greatest features of the Tamarijn is all rooms offer a spectacular direct ocean view as the hotel sits on the beach. There were plenty of lounge chairs and huts which is an advantage. I recall having to claim chairs and huts at the high rises before sun rise and watching people fight over their space at the pool and beach. It was really an unpleasant issue every morning which did not occur at the TAM. If you are "pool users" don't stay at the TAM. The pool is rather unattractive and has a rough cement "lining". The beach towels were small, thin, raggy and stained. I did remember bug spray and we used it every day as there are mosquitoes and little nats. The food was always excellent. We do not eat red meat and high fat foods. The buffets offered a large variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and excellent pork, chicken and fish dishes. We do not care for the restaurants at the TAM but we did frequent the Red Parrot which is as good as it's reputation. The food staff was attentive and friendly. My husband does not drink and I only drink wine so we can't comment about the liquor. We had a great time and highly recommend the TAM. BTW, we had a sunny week, but we understand that lately, there is a great deal of rain in Aruba.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!