WINNER WONDERLAND

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
“No Regrets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

First time reviewer, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet since much has already bee written about this resort.

Our family chose Aruba/Tamarijn for 5 days in March. Traveling with a 10 year old and 6 year old daughters, my wife and I what Safety/Security, "stress free" eating (hate the dreaded restaurant decisions for our picky eaters), and- of course- the beach as our priorities.

This location delivered in all areas. Aruba itself definitely felt "safe" compared to other Caribbean locations that my wife and I have visited (and enjoyed). The airport is modern, and all taxi fares to resorts have fixed/printed rates. We got to see most of the island on an off-road jeep excursion to the "Natural Pool" and other sites (highly recommended), and left the resort one afternoon to shop at the mall area a mile or so from the resort. No worries.

The Tamarijn itself was fantastic. We stayed on a second floor unit located a couple of buildings from the pools/restaurants, and felt the location was perfect. There was literally no noises that could be heard from the public area (as I thought there might be). I'm not sure if its the result of the ocean & wind, or just the build/layout of the resort, but my neighborhood in the Midwestern suburbs is louder. My recommendation to others would be to request something between the main pool/restaurants and the Bunker bar. Although others seem to feel differently, I think I would have been disappointed if I were past the Bunker Bar. The view deteriorates quickly, as the Tamarijn is actually the last resort before getting to a shipping port and the airport, etc. Also, I think the best way to utilize the restaurants and bars for snacks, etc. is to be close by. Whether its a fresh banana smoothie or soft-serve ice cream for the kids, or an oven-fired pizza or cocktail for Dad, it seems like being within reasonable walking distance is an obvious advantage.

Speaking of food, we found the quality/selection to be more than adequate. In fact, we found the open buffet (which closes for a few hours for switching between the breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner) to be preferred over the restaurants. We do not "gorge" on vacation (fitness buffs), but the selection of fresh fruit, salad, and various grilled/cooked options was fantastic. I made myself various versions of fajitas using the items being grilled and the fresh tortillas/salsas, while my family chose their own alternatives. If I had any knocks about the food at the resort, it would be the following: all restaurants feature the same (limited) kids menu, and- overall- the desserts were the area that could use improved variety/quality. That said, I don't understand people who seem to make it a goal of their vacations to gain 10 lbs, but none of them would have trouble doing it here if they chose to.

Rooms were adequate, clean, and modern. Weather was great, but ocean did kick up enough one day to keep kids and most adults out of it (completely calm on two other days). Final tip: bring a LOT of sunscreen (bottles run $15-20 US everywhere on the island). Also, recommend some "surf/swim shirts" for kids to wear.

I would recommend this destination for any of my friends/family. Since the island is so small and we felt like we "experiences it," I think we will likely try another Caribbean destination next year, but it won't be because we left unhappy in any way.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Matt14701

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (942)
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed two week ins the Tamarijn All inclusive during our stay in April 2013. Food was amazing, atmosphere is great there. Staff are all very friendly and helpfull. Rooms were clean and housekeeping really made an effort on daily cleaning. Loved the fact that we could also eat at the à al carte restaurants. Honestly we didn't like the Papparazi and Ginger restaurant, food was barely eatable due lack of tast and spices. The Red Parrot on the other hand was that great that we dined there often. Cocktails there were the best and when we go back we would surely choose the Divi Tamarijn again!

Room Tip: We had a big studio on floor level next to swimming pool (Dutch village) and with a view on the sea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maya h
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

beautiful beach, good food, have to agree with others that the staff was not the friendliest I did not want my feet rubbed but a smile and good morning from staff would of felt like they were happy to have guests.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 313Heather313
South Lyon, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were just there April 13th to the 20th. We loved the Tamarijn. Food was great! Weather was great! Beach was the best ever! Only complaint I have is it would have been nice to have the refrigerator stocked with bottled water and other beverages. Staff was great and friendly. Place's to go that we recommend: Baby Beach....great for snokling and....Atlantis Submarine tour....was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room. They are all ocean front. Some room's are farther from activities a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeanne B
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The PROS- room literally opens right to the beach, relaxed beach amosphere, plenty of bars and restaurants with ocean view to choose from, crystal clear water with well kept clean beaches, free floating mats, pool areas really nice, fun music in the afternoons, many pools to choose from, pretty grounds. The CONS - the food. Unfortunately the food was really not good at many meals. We often went to the tutti bar (pool snack bar) because the other meals were not good. Most common response when asking others about their meals "it was alright" this includes red parrot, paparazzi, the buffet. Also, some of the staff were really nice and friendly but our group of 20 was a little surprised how many staff members seemed unhappy. Particularly, one of the activities desk workers was really unpleasant on multiple occasions. We were so excited to rent the bicycles and go into town. Out of 7 bicycles, 1 had a flat tire and 3 had chains that kept popping off. TIPS- book reservations for restaurants as soon as you get there- they fill up, take taxi not prepaid shuttle to and from airport - much cheaper and more convenient to your schedule, go to Madame janettes one night - off property but so good and only 5 min away. Great trip because of the amazing beach and fun, relaxed atmisphere, I would stay here again if they improved the food. We were able to get a 25% off special when we booked, so we felt it was worth the price - with the free drinks :)

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Kristin C
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

The boyfriend and I decided to do Christmas time in Aruba. We stayed at the resort for 4 nights/5days. Overall, we had a relaxing, wonderful stay. Bonus: You can pay for the less expensive Tamarijn, while still being allowed to take advantage of the sister resort, Divi, for no extra charge. We ate at both resort restaurants, viewed entertainment at both, etc. More details below:

The Beach: Beautiful, warm turquoise water. Sand is white, soft, smooth and with nary a rock or sharp shell to mess with your feet.

Weather: Perfect; rainy season but barely rained -- when it did rain, it stopped within 5-10 minutes. It was hot during the day, and comfortably cooler at night. I usually like things "Africa hot" so for me to say it was comfortable at night, is a huge statement.

Food: As far as resort food goes, it was pretty good. I had no complaints.

Activities: They offered a good assortment of activities. We particularly liked: Snuba - good price and super fun. Palm Pleasure ($110)

The Resort: Very colorful; Staff is friendly; Small, Clean; No a-hole bugs/animals. Even THEY seemed to be friendly and non-intrusive ... Room: Not bad (it's not meant to be luxury), Outdated, a bit. I didn't "love" that you can hear almost everything in room next door. I found their standard room to be spacious. We requested a king-sized bed and got it w/o incident. The "in room" safe? - lol - super outdated compared to its more modern, digital counterparts found in other resorts ... At $2/day it's a bit pricey. Every room had either a balcony (if you're on the second floor) or a deck (if you're on the first floor) All views were of the beach no matter where your room was and if you have a room on the first/ground floor, you're RIGHT on the beach. I loved that all the rooms were on the beach so no walking except either right past your back door or down a flight of stairs ... Entertainment: pretty good: The usual consisted of a show, live music, Bingo!, yoga, etc.

The grounds were always clean and there were plenty of different sized pools to choose from. We were able to find a pool that were pretty devoid of people and secluded for a nice relaxing, kid-free, quiet dip ...

Nothing really annoying happened ... No body pressures you to take the "60 minute timeshare tour" ... Water is potable.

Misc: a lot of children but wasn't too bothersome. Divi is a bit more modern in appearance and have "high rise" bldgs, but, Tamarijn is usually cheaper so if the you don't care about the look of the bldg, go with cheaper - hang out at the other facility if you'd like ... close to local shops ... Resort lets you rent bikes for free ... Give out free totes ... Great bang for your buck ... Check-out at 1pm w/o charging extra - possibly longer if your room isn't scheduled for any guests the day you're checking out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank TravelJunkie6420
Bethany, Ct
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Aruba is a wonderful, beautiful island but the Tamarijin Hotel would not be the place I would stay on my next trip to Aruba. First and foremost the staff at the Tamarijin need to change their attitude, especially the girls at the concierge desk. I felt as if I was bothering them when I went to make dinner reservations. At one point while make dinner reservations and not ever staying there before I was getting a little confused by the time and restuarant choices so I had to ask twice about one of the times and the girls answer to me was "I just told you the times 2 minutes ago". I didn't need that RUDE answer from her! If she is unhappy with her job them I suggest she find another one. Not to many of the staff members were warm and fuzzy at all. Food was good, I preferred the Red Parrot at the Divi (we ate there twice), also the Itallian Restuarant at the Tamarijin was very good. Rooms where average. The beach was the best part of the vacation. DePalm Tours was wonderful. We had roundtrip transportation to and from the airport with them. The driver gave a little tour on our way to the hotel which was great. Very friendly, informative drivers. We also used Depalm Tours to go JetSkiing. Again the guy at the Tamarijin Sports desk was great and very informative. One place not to go is the Tamarijin Mart! The place is so overpriced and the women in there move slower than turles, not to mention there bad attitudes too. All in all it was a good vacation. I would definitly not stay at the Tamarijin hotel again but I would stay at the Divi. People over there seemed much nicer and freindly especially at the buffet and at the Red Parrot.

Room Tip: Stayed in 1604 which was the perfect location. Close to food and bars!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Barcelo Aruba
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,042 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,559 reviews
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,214 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#8 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,316 reviews

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!