“Perfect Holiday”

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We visited here a couple of years in October, it was our first visit here and OMG it was perfect. we loved everything about it, the island is only small so transfer times were short, which was just what you want after an 11 hour flight. The hotel is brilliant, the rooms are gorgeous (basic, but what more do you need), right on the beech. Our room was just past the bunker bar and to the back of our room was a smaller, more private pool which we spent our days. The food was excellent, in every restaurant and the buffet. The Windows Restaurant is the best place i have eaten ever, the food and the service is out of this world - this is at an extra cost but so worth it. The weather was a dream, only a couple of days where we had a bit of rain. The mosquito's are a little relentless, I got bitten no end, night time was the worst, i am sure you have heard this remedy but the skin so soft spray from avon is very good, i take it everywhere with me now, Also someone mentioned marmite - eat a spoonful of this everyday and it will come out in your pores - they hate it apparently. we will most definately be coming back here without a doubt, we very nearly booked for this year but decided on The Maldives instead. Please do not take any notice of the negative reviews, they are not deserved, it really is a magical place, if you have booked you will not be disappointed. It really is 'One Happy Island'

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jodie M
There are newer reviews for Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went for a wedding and the grounds were beautiful, the Tamarijn is the sister of the Divi and you can walk back and forth and use all the amentities of both resorts. Both are directly on the beach and are about a 10 min walk up the beach from eachother(there is a constant shuttle running between the two). The Tamarijn was more laid back and had less people staying there so it was perfect to stay at and then just visit the more upscale Divi through out the day. Every hotel room (unless you request a suite) is beach front and everyone one has a balcony. (side note--all balconys face the sunset and EVERYONE makes it a point to come out to watch it, kind of a big deal there) Rooms are super clean and the cleaning crew does a great job every day. The Buffett was OK, there are 3 other restaurants you can make reservations for (all still included) which were fantastic--must go to the Red Parrot which is located on the Divi property--AMAZING!! The pools are all clean, Bars are fully stocked and most of the bartenders are fantastic. The beach was prestine and there are never more than 20 people on it at a time, its perfect. We walked all the way up the beach to the highrise hotels and the people are squished in there like sardines. I would NEVER stay anywhere else on the island, the Tamarijn is relaxing and out of the way from the tourist scene. 5 min Cab ride to the shops in town, 1/2hour bike ride to the butterfly farm, bus stop is a block from the main lobby which will take you all over the island. I 100% recommend this hotel to anyone in search of a beautifull relaxing resort with all of the amentities of the high rises and Less people.

Room Tip: 1200 building is perfect location, 1 min walk to main lobby and all the bars, some on the other side...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank stephmark08
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Sorry i have just found the time to review the Tamarijn, we stayed late Summer 2012, what a fabulous little Island in the sun. Everybody at the hotel and outside so friendly and eager to please.

The hotel was perfect for our requirement of a chill out fortnight, good a la carte restaurants, we booked them over and over with the exception of the Italian, not good!

Our room was 1st floor as requested, basic but spotless, after all you only sleep in it, good enough.

All the staff are superb.

We walked up the beach to the high rise hotels every morning, superb sand and sea, glad we didn't stay up there.

The restaurants in Oranjestad are good but a little pricey, we walked into town on a couple of occasions approx 40 mins, rather than taking the taxi's or the bus.

Twice we hired a Harley motorbike from Aruba Harley, we did the tour with Chepy, wonderful i strongly recommend it if you have a license, you get to see the whole Island and stop at Charlie's bar on the way back, take a gift and they will put it on display, look out for Debbies Manchester City shirt, it's the first one they had.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mark M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I dropped our grown adult boys off at the Tamarijn while we spent 7 nights at the Divi and we are glad we chose these wonderful resorts.
I have broken down the review by subject and hope you find it helpful.

Transportation:
Getting a taxi was easy. Just go outside and there is a man outside directing everyone exiting the airport along with taxis and destination fees. If I am not mistaken it was $22 and you pay by vehicle not people. On the way back the driver charged me a couple extra bucks but it was not worth bringing up.

Arrival:
Once you get dropped off the concierge offers you a wet clean face cloth and drink. They take your info and quickly get you and your bags to your room.

Room:
It was very clean and everything in working order but like the rest of the hotel was slightly worn. There was nothing special, good or bad.

Pool:
Small to medium sized pool mostly filled with party type young adults. If you want peace and quiet go next door to the Divi.

Beach:
The beach was right out of a post card. The sand was like sugar and the water was blue and not to turbulent. No rocks under the water.

Clothing worn:
During the day everyone was in swimwear. At night the custom was casual attire for the evening meals, a collar shirt with shorts for men and a dress for the ladies although some did wear a collar shirt and shorts also.

Food:
Food at all the restaurants was tasty. These are the restaurants you make a reservation for. Everything ells was buffet style and mediocre at best.

Staff:
The staff for the most part were professional, friendly and helpful. No issues or attitudes.

Guests:
Everyone was friendly and respectful of each other. Most of the guests were European and most of them from Sweden followed by Germany and Britton. Next were Americans however Sweden clearly had more folks than anyone.

Will we go again? Probably not, we are still exploring the Caribbean and there are many more places that are closer and less expensive to fly to.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Steve_n_KarenJ
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just got back from the "Tam" in Aruba, and l must admit it was a wonderful, relaxing time due to the hotel configuration. With all rooms facing the ocean, and great sandy beaches just outside your door, it truly is much different than most other hotels in Aruba. The large highrise hotels (which we visited most of them) are situated near a loud and busy "south beach" style strip.
They have fancy pools, smaller tighter beaches with compressed sand but lots of marble, casinos, elevators and restaurants if that's what your are looking for. The Tam is connected to the Divi by about a 10 min walk on the beach or a 3 min ride on the golf-cart shuttles running back and forth between them and also goes to one of the biggest casinos as well. Laid back kind of resort spread out over a mile of beach it, offers nothing fancy but the fab soft white beach and a nice walk-out room to it. Blue water and a great sunset are the calling cards. If you are lucky enough or get up early enough to get a palapa then you are set since there are not enough palm trees to get cover from the hot sun. Without cover you will fry.
Food is good but breakfast is same every day. Lunch should be tried at both buffets thru-out the week since the Divi can have some special dishes as it is a little fancier and larger.
All the restaurants we went to were good, although the service from the waiters was poor. It's all-inclusive so just drink more and those issues will bother you less. The Asian was the best, l felt, but all offered an nice change of pace from the buffet. If they could just learn to greet people at the door or even a rare smile it would make a world of difference, until then ...cheers.
Not much action at the Tam or the Divi either during the day or at night. Their shows are the obligatory dancers in colorful costumes dancing in the middle of the buffet, or near the front desk...so just head to the casino by free shuttle and there is a lounge/bar and cafe' in the adjoining plaza. Unfortunatley, there is no commercial areas to walk to but Aruba is safer then spanish speaking islands so don't be afraid to rent vehicles and go check out all the spots it has to offer. We grabbed a jeep and cruised the whole thing. We found a nice restaurant and returned later to have dinner on the sand right by the waters edge...best sea bass l have ever had. Check out the Flying Fisherman or the Old man on the Sea (right beside them) for a great sunset dining experience. Took our Jeep to the Natural pool, which was the toughest off-roading experience you can imagine, so bring extra water and a cell if you break down. The beatings those Jeeps take (and you inside) give me a new respect for Chrysler. You can just take tours if you don't like to drive around and explore.
We had a ton of rain during our week, so don't believe what they say about Aruba only having an inch of rain a year.....we witnessed an inch a minute for hours with never more than a few hours of sun. But that was all you needed because when the sun was out you burned quick.
This is why its good to be on the ground floor with a palapa just in front...you can just pop back into your patio or room till it blows over. It isn't that easy when a thousand people are running back past all the pools to the elevators like at the high rise hotels. If you want some action, just grab a cab to Signor Frogs and check out the eateries/bars or walk around from there and check out the highrise area. When you are fed up with the noise just come back to the Tam or Divi and relax. Final advice....bring dollars for tipping. You don't win awards for being cheap but the staff serve you much better through the week when they see you with a tip. If you are going to blow thousands on a holiday, what's a few dollars? ...bring your own thermo-jug for your drinks as it keeps them cool and they are bigger than the cups...90 or 100 degree weather heats up you're drink in 10 mins and cooks your skin too so use 50 or 60 spf when the suns blasting....book your restaurants right away so you can try them all during your stay...rent a jeep , bring your trunks and check out the island....get up early and grab a palapa in front of your room by 6 am or bring an umbrella...book your beachfront restaurants for the sunset early (5:30-6pm) as seafront is busy at that time for sunset happy-hours....internet is $50 a week or $15 a day, so just go online with device and register on the Tam/DIvi wifi site, no need to talk to front desk.
Overall, island is clean, pretty and windy so just enjoy it with your shades on and the sand won't be a nuisance. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Up to the 1900 block it is less windy...after that (2000 +) the wind is everywhere and always consta...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Meanseca
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recently returned from my first visit to Aruba. I had a traveling companion also with me. We had separate rooms on the first floor of the 1300 block. The first floor rooms allow you to walk right out your patio doors and be on the beach. Also the 1300 rooms are right next to the food places a pool and beach bars and the lobby. We have problems walking long distances so we were very pleased with our given rooms. If I do return to Aruba, (which I certainly plan on doing) I would request a room on the second floor mainly for safety purposes. They definitely need to do something to upgrade their patio doors. They have no locks, only a piece of wood to put in at the bottom of the door. I also had a room with no patio light working which made it very dark if you went out in the evening. One morning at 2:30 am I stepped out to have a cigarette and was approached by a black man offering himself and money to give me a good time. Luckily, he went on after I told him I was not interested, but I believe that he may have been watching me through my doors for sometime. After he left, I called the front desk, their security went out to look for him and found him, but did not call the police to have him arrested, which I don't understand. They continued all week long, so they said, to try to get the patio light on, but it was still not working on the day we left. In fact, the whole 1300 first floor rooms lights were out after they tried to get mine to work. They said they were having some type of electrical problem. They did step up security after my encounter at 2:30 a.m. I had a room with two double beds, a chest of drawers, a wardrobe, a small table and two chairs and a night stand, and probably a 32 to 36 in glat screen TV. It was very small and tight with all the furniture. It would have been way too small for two people, but then again, you don't spend a lot of time in your room. The bathroom was also very small and there was not a complete shower door, so when you took a shower, you had to throw down 1 to 3 towels to keep the water from running all over the place. I thought I had read that one of the amenities of the room was a coffee pot and coffee, but I did not have them in my room. The room was clean and cleaned everyday. I did see a mold spot on the ceiling in my bathroom. Being able to walk right out of your patio and be on the beach was priceless. There were palapas outside each room, but if you didn't get up early (6 or 7) someone would come put there towels on them and have them for the day. Then they were right in front of your patio all day long. I had to get up early to put our towels on the two chairs by the palapa in front of my room. Some reveiwers said that it was noisy if you were in the rooms close to the lobby, pool, bars and restaurants. I did not find this to be a problem. Once my doors were closed, I heard nothing of what was going on outside. I actually found both resorts to be pretty quiet day or night. Not a lot of activities going on. If you ate a late dinner and then went back to your resort you could either go to the beach bar that was open till 1 am or go back to your room and go to bed. Pretty quiet resorts. The beach in front of the resorts is public, and they do not serve you drinks on the beach, you have to go back up to the bar to get your own drink. The water is very dangerous. It had a strong current and under current. I stayed out of the ocean after I was knocked over by the water. The pool water was always pretty cool because of the rainfall everynight. I cooled off by a shower by my room. There were not too many times when there were people in the pools. They were working on the tiling around the pool and would sometimes forget to recover the filter holes. The last day of our stay I ended up falling in one and had my foot stuck in it until I could wrestle my shoe off. My leg was down into the hole up to my knee. It was a struggle getting through the airport and home after that because both of my legs were pretty swollen. We asked for assistance, which we received, and were wheeled right past everyone in line, right through customs and directly to our gates. The food at the resorts was excellent. We went to the Red Parrot at the Divi and went to an Asian place at Tamarijn, both were wonderful! The buffet food was also awesome for breakfast and lunch and dinner. The check-in and check-out was simple and very quick. Our vacation was very restful and relaxing and laid back, which is exactly what we wanted. I would recommend either resort to anyone looking to travel to Aruba! The Divi seemed a little more upscale but I don't think all of their rooms are ocean front. It also seemd a little more for adults than for families. I will return and suggest it to my family and friends.

Room Tip: All I know is that the 1300 block of rooms is close to everything and if you want to go to the Divi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank pattikellner
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My son, DIL and myself spent 7 days (Dec. 3 - 10, 2013) at the Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive. We traditionally take the first week of December as a "family" vacation to an AI resort to celebrate my son's BD and as a break between Thanksgiving and the Christmas rush. In the past, we have taken several cruses, spent a week in Mexico at Grand Palladium Royal Suites, Dreams in Punta Cana. Son and DIL wanted to return to Aruba where they had spent their honeymoon 5 years previously. I was a little dubious about this resort - though they had loved it.

I booked this holiday thru Apple Vacations and as usual, everything ran like clockwork.

I was concerned upon arriving at th Tam as the reception area wasn't grand and imposing like the other resorts we had visited. I was even more concerned when we were checked into the room. While this resort is right smack dab on the beach, we opted for a second floor room rather than the more popular ground floor rooms. This was one of the smallest rooms I've experienced at any AI resort. There was no exhaust in the bathroom - and no door on the shower - was impossible to take a shower and keep the water in the shower stall. To exhaust the air in the bathroom, there was a small window that could be opened - but doing so just about sucked out all of the cool air in the room.

The weather the entire week could Not have been better: hot and humid - and sunny beyond belief! Rained a couple of nights - never during the day.

The view from our second floor veranda was absolutely beautiful! The only problem with the veranda was that there wasn't a partition separating the veranda from those on either side of us.....so, if someone was smoking on any of the verandas in our string of units - we all "smoked along side the smoker". The verandas faced west so there was always a spectacular view of the amazing sunsets.

The beach was right down the stairs from us. The sand was beautiful, the water spectacular shades of blue and green. As the cruise ships went by, they were so close we felt we could almost reach out and touch them! The beach is very clean.

Food: Breakfast was served in the buffet - a semi-open air facility right on the beach with breath-taking views. This area is not air conditioned and could be very warm if there wasn't a breeze blowing from the Caribbean. The food options were not quite as plentiful as other resorts I've visited - but overall it was adequate - but repetitious after awhile. There was an omelet station and pretty good pancakes. The juices were not so good. The cheese selection was good. The worst part was the bacon - it was served in a huge chaffing dish - and it didn't appear that it had come close to being fried - limp and greasy.

Reservations can be made at the ala cartes a the "gathering area" near reception. We dined twice at the Red Parrot and it was absolutely great food (we had fish and steak). The Red Parrot is located at the Divi down the beach from the Tam - there are golf carts to transport guests between the resorts. We dined once at the Palm Grill - located in the Tam's buffet area. Guests sat at tables that had heating elements located beneath the center second of the table. A try a sauces was presented along with raw shrip, beef and chicken, a huge bowl of vegetables is dumped on to the heated center surface and each guest is presented with a spatchla. As the veggies are finised, guests proceed to cook their own entrees. Rice and FF's are also served. This was a fun evening - though it was soooo hot until the sun set and and there was a cooling breeze thru the area. We dined twice at the Italian restaurant, Papparazzi (sorry - poor spelling!) This restaurant was absolutely beautiful - - and was air conditioned - so we really were able to enjoy the meals. The wine flowed at all three of these restaurants and we would highly recommend planning to make reservations for you visit to the Tam.

The swimming pool was small compared to other resorts - but very, very adequate. There was a bar at each end of the pool. One of the bars served food in an open air area a few steps from the beach. This was Pizza per Tutti. Served lots of pretty good food/snacks and some really good drinks. The other bar was a great place to hand out in the evening with tables just above the boardwalk - very, very relaxing.

The Bunker bar was a nice place right on the beach with seating overlooking the Caribbean.

This resort provides bicycles for the guests' use (no charge). Son and DIL joined a group from the resort on a long bike ride with a host/guide and a chase vehicle with water, etc. They are bike riders but were really tuckered out when they finally returned to the Tam. They also used the bikes one day to ride into Oranjestad to shop.

There were vendors who set up tables in the central area at Tam several evenings - as well as at the Divi down the beach - so it was fun to shop after dinner. The items they were selling differed from what I had experienced in Mexico and the DR - the vendors were NOT aggressive in any way.

We rented a Jeep one day and covered the island - saw the wild goats and borrows - beautiful church in the middle of no where - the natural bridges, etc. We advised NOT to drive the Jeep to the Natural Pool as we'd be responsible for any damage to the vehicle - guess it was a pretty nasty drive to get to the Natural Pool - I can only say that I do not believe that the path to the Pool could have been much worse than some of the off roading we did!

Before dropping off the Jeep - we spent several hours at the open air shops near the High Rise area. That was some pretty good shopping and some interesting shops and restaurants.

My suggestions as to rooms: If you want to be directly ON the beach, request a unit on the lower level of the resort. If you want a room with a view - request a room on the second floor (it doesn't take that long to get down the stairs and onto the beach - and the view is mostly unobstructed).

The water from the tap is drinkable which is a big plus. The Tam/Divi is a walkable (or bike rideable)distance from Oranjestad and, while I didn't visit it, I've heard that there is a grocery close by the Tam.

One evening after dinner at the Divi, we were taken to the Alhambra Casino by golf cart (the resort runs them up and down the strip to several of their resorts in the area) and gambled a little - very little. There is some shopping at the Alhambra.

If I go again, I'd absolutely stay at the Tam - no question! Not much time was spent in the room and breakfast is breakfast. The location is absolute the best. The food in the ala cartes was the best I've experienced at any AI. You have access to some of the facilities at the Divi down the beach and the location close to town is absolutely perfect. This resort is in the "Low Rise" area. Not too far from the airport. This is a great family resort - though we did not notice many children. Prices are high - I believe this is a wealthy country.....a perfect paradise. We will be back.

Room Tip: For immediate beach access: first floor - beach front (all are beach front!) For lovely views: se...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank poohsmom123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!