“Best beach”

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great place.

The main hotel areas consist of the low rise hotels (approx 25 mins walk from Oranjestad the capital town) - and the high rise area (a cab ride to town - approx 45 min walk north of the low rise area).

We walked most of the beaches in the high rise and low rise and found that Druif beach (attached to the Tamarijn) was the best. The high rise beaches are much busier. Many of the low rise beach areas are narrower.

The Tamarijn is one of 2 hotels which includes the Divi - a 5 min walk across the beach.
Sun beds go fast in the Tam, so if you want one - either get up at 6:00 am to reserve one - or take a walk after breakfast to the Divi which is always less busy (being a bit more expensive) where you will normally find one.

There are 5 main restuarants - the Italian, Chinese and Grill require booking. DO THIS WHEN YOU FIRST ARRIVE AT THE HOTEL for the next 2 nights - even before you go to your room.

Service in the restuarants can be a bit rushed so ask for a gap between course (say 30 mins - they will still bring it earlier).

Walk into town at least once - it isn't that far (cabs are $9 + tip) - if you go in the early morning it isn't too hot either.

Hire a jeep for at least one day and go see the sites (lighthouse, ostrich farm, national park etc...). Good fun doing some offroading. Driving is on the right so if you are used to US or European driving you should be ok. Just be careful - the local drivers are fine - it is the tourists who drive unexpectedly.

Also, eat out in town a couple of times - and visit the Windows On Aruba early in the week when they are not so busy - great place and you get a deal if you are staying all inclusive at the Divi or Tamarijn (3 courses fine dining for $38 is pretty damn good).

Room Tip: Choose a beach front room - ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MarkDReviewer
Write a ReviewReviews (3,576)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I traveled to Aruba 9/18-9/23 as just a getaway with my cousin for some r&r. I stayed at Dutch village room 27 which is a 1 bedroom suite with a garden view. I love our room it was designed for property shares and is equipped with almost everything you would need..a full eat in kitchen, living room and a private balcony over looking the pool. The room at a glance looks great but with a closer look definitely needed some updating . The tub was somewhat moldy and the tiolet cover looks like its been through a war. The furniture was somewhat uncomfortable, but overall it was good.
Food: the buffet was kind of boring with the same food everyday. I suggest eating the pizza at the bar which was surprising good and making reservations at Ginger an Asian bistro, the food is amazing especially the green curry mussels and the spicy chicken. The red parrot was okay and food wasn't as amazing as I expected and the grill was okay too...but I didn't like that you had to cook your own food.
Drinks: the drinks were great and they do not skimp with the liquor I suggest drinking their speciality the Aruba Ariba and the pink panther..the bloody Mary was pretty good too.
What I didn't like however was that the hand hygiene practices just wasn't sanitary. As a New Yorker and a nurse hand hygiene is imperative with all preparations especially food and drinks. I saw the bartender when they were blending the drinks in a blender as a cover they used their hands! and when they were done they went about their chores without washing it! I think this might be cultural... also with the food preparations the cooks didn't wear gloves their used their bare hands.

Pool: the pool was good and not too overcrowded we went during their slow season. I liked the pools at Dutch village...I suggest that pool if you don't like crowd and noise.
Staff: the staff was pretty friendly and often greeted you as you were walking by...the house keeping was great too...always tip your housekeeper! They work very hard and try their best to make you happy.
Oberall it was a good trip and I enjoyed myself because I was away from the chaos of my work schedule. Aruba is a beautiful country! If you are looking for something affordable and not luxious I suggest the Tam and Divi but you want somewhere that you're treated like royalty I suggest the riu palace.

Room Tip: If you want something quiet with a lot of space ask for Divi Dutch Village you get a garden view not...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived at the Tamarijn at the end of August, and had a wonderful holiday. When we first arrived I must admit my first impressions weren't good, but my they soon changed. I think the colourful buildings put me off, as I'm used to whitewashed buildings. As others have mentioned check in on the coach from the airport is first class. Suitcases arrived at our room promptly. Our room was lovely, and clean, with a wonderful view of the beach and the sea, what more could you ask for. We were in one of the refurbished rooms, and yes the shower does spill out onto the floor, but there is always plenty of towels and they are replaced frequently.
Personally we were not impressed with the specialty resturants, but they do make a change from the main buffett. Personnally the wok station was the best food in the buffet resturant. However we did eat at Windows and it was lovely really nice food well presented and the staff helped to make a special evening a memorable occassion,it was our wedding anniversary. The drinks were all premier brands and the service was really good, a tip does mean however that your'e glass is never empty !!! We used the bars at the Tam and the Diva and it was the same standard at both hotels.
All of the staff were really friendly and welcoming, and made Aruba a 'happy island' for us.
The beach is beautiful, cleaned reguarly and the sea warm and an amazing blue, but i do have one negative comment. There is just not enough shade I do understand that as the island does have a very much needed breeze that this would be a hazzard when using the usual umberlla type shades. There is plenty of room for more of the substantial shades in the same style as they already have, just more of them please especially for us very fair skinned brits!!
Don't let any negative comments put you off, we had a wonderful time and met some really lovely people. A holiday to remember.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Manchestergirl17
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We made our third trip to the Tam in May and had a great time once again. The rooms while not elegant are clean and quite adequate. The location cannot be beat, clean white sand and a beautiful blue ocean at your back door. We have always stayed in building 25 or higher and while it is quite a walk to the main area, the view and quiet are worth it.

The food is good, we have eaten at all the restaurants, including Windows on Aruba. Love the lobster bisque at the Italian restaurant. Husband went fishing on our trip in May, the chef at the buffet prepared the tuna he caught and it was excellent. Edward, our favorite bartender, suggested the recipe and it was one of our favorite meals.

The drinks are excellent and not watered down. The local beer is really good and the water is great. Try the bunker bar during the day and for sunset. Coconut and Tucci's at night.

The Tam was our first all inclusive and we were immediately sold on the idea. We have tried a couple others, but always have enjoyed the Tam the best. We understand why people return year after year.

Tipping is not required but appreciated. These people work hard for their money!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon6101
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I haven't been to Aruba in over 20 years ... in the past I had always stayed in the hi-rise area, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect over in the low-rise area at theTam. I must say I was pleasantly surprized! The location and the beach area were just perfect. The people couldn't have been friendlier or more accomodating. Loved the all-inclusive concept and the food was above average. The room was a bit on the small side, but you couldn't beat your sliding glass doors opening up to the beach, with the ocean being literally just steps away. Huge shout out to CARMEN, thanks for your kindness. You went above and beyond!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at the Tamarajin between 7th-21st September 2012 on an all inclusive basis.
I have to say that having travelled extensively across the world this holiday definitely rates as one of the best!
The location is fantastic, white sandy beaches, crystal blue waters and the friendliness of the staff is superb.
The rooms are compact but well equipped (iron, ironing board, mini fridge, alarm clock, telephone, 2 x queen beds) only thing missing was a kettle! - however soft and hot drinks are available 24hrs a day at various points around the hotel - bars open at 11am).
The food is excellent - buffet restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food is good quality with a wide choice (I'm vegetarian but had plenty options to choose from)
The speciality restaurants at the hotel are the Ginger - Asian food, The Paparazzi - Italian, The Palm Grill - this is the seafood and meat restaurant where you cook your own food in the centre of your table.... all are booked at the concierge desk up to 3 days in advance, you can book as often as you like and the food is excellent.
All the drinks at the Hotel are branded which also includes Champagne!

The sister hotel - The Divi is just a short walk along the beach or you can go by free shuttle bus which runs every few minutes, you can use all the bars, restaurants and facilities including the Red Parrot speciality restaurant - Caribbean food (bookable as others) again fantastic food!

You can access bikes as part of your all inclusive and there are lots of activities to get involved in including Bingo! - the staff are brilliant and don't hassle you - the casino is well worth a visit too...

There was nothing about this holiday that I could find fault with - would definitely go back!

Room Tip: We were in block 12 which is just a short walk from all the bars, restaurants, reception etc. We ha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Birchk25
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was my first trip to both the Tamarijn as well as Aruba. I did a ton of research before booking this trip and I got pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

LOCATION: Can't be beat. All the rooms are DIRECTLY on the beach. I stayed on the ground floor and you literally can open your back door and walk five feet to be on the sand.

FOOD/DRINK: The Tamarijn has a few restaurants that you need to make reservations for, as well as the Divi next door which has the Red Parrot. Many of the reviews I read specifically mentioned the Red Parrot as the best place to eat and while it was nice, both I and my travel partner thought that Ginger at the Tamarijn was THE BEST restaurant at the resort. Ginger is rather small and we really got lucky even being able to get a reservation since we aren't the type of people to get up at 8am to make bookings. The Red Parrot next door was also good, but I don't think it lived up to all the reviews I read about it, although the service there was EXCELLENT. The Palm Grill is also pretty good, although I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy cooking their own food on the table. I did not get a chance to eat at the Italian restaurant, Paparazzi. The lunch buffet was surprisingly good with a good selection every day. Same for breakfast. The pizza at the pool bar was also surprisingly good. The bartenders at all the bars were attentive, friendly, and constantly refilling our drinks. Some of them poured a little heavier than others, I would always suggest tipping. No complaints about food or drink at all.

ROOM: Could use a little updating and the leaking showers are annoying but not a deal breaker. You get what you pay for here and while nothing here will WOW you, it really was totally fine for me. Some TV stations really come in terribly (ESPN for instance) but honestly if you're sitting around watching TV you probably shouldn't bother going to Aruba.

Other things I thought I'd mention since I didn't see much of them in the reviews I read before booking:

The casino is a quick shuttle ride away. It's small but has a lot of slot machines if that's your thing. The Blackjack tables have VERY low limits ($3 from 6-8pm and $5 after) as well as craps. If you like to gamble but aren't a high roller, it's a pretty fun time.

The nightlife was actually better than I expected but still lacking in a few areas. There was a DJ playing dance music a few nights and it seemed nobody but my travel companion and I felt like dancing. Same thing for the live bands - good music but a very...subdued crowd. I realized before booking that this was a pretty relaxed resort but you'd think some of the other people here would rather be in a library or sleeping than enjoying their night out. One of my only complaints is that there is no good sound system around the pool bars at night and so no music once the live bands stop playing around 10:30 or 11. The travelers here seemed to be a very diverse mix of younger and older couples. I went at a time in September as I figured there wouldn't be many kids around and this was the case. There was a diverse mix of Americans, as well as some European and South American travelers, which is fun if you're interested in meeting people from all over the world as I am.

Overall, a *spectacular* trip, especially for the price. I wouldn't even hesitate to book here again, although next time I'd stay for twice as long.

Room Tip: Stayed at the 1800 block, just far enough away from the center to be quiet and easier to get good sp...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mofroman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#8 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!