“Had a fabulous holiday”

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived at the Tamarijn at the end of August, and had a wonderful holiday. When we first arrived I must admit my first impressions weren't good, but my they soon changed. I think the colourful buildings put me off, as I'm used to whitewashed buildings. As others have mentioned check in on the coach from the airport is first class. Suitcases arrived at our room promptly. Our room was lovely, and clean, with a wonderful view of the beach and the sea, what more could you ask for. We were in one of the refurbished rooms, and yes the shower does spill out onto the floor, but there is always plenty of towels and they are replaced frequently.
Personally we were not impressed with the specialty resturants, but they do make a change from the main buffett. Personnally the wok station was the best food in the buffet resturant. However we did eat at Windows and it was lovely really nice food well presented and the staff helped to make a special evening a memorable occassion,it was our wedding anniversary. The drinks were all premier brands and the service was really good, a tip does mean however that your'e glass is never empty !!! We used the bars at the Tam and the Diva and it was the same standard at both hotels.
All of the staff were really friendly and welcoming, and made Aruba a 'happy island' for us.
The beach is beautiful, cleaned reguarly and the sea warm and an amazing blue, but i do have one negative comment. There is just not enough shade I do understand that as the island does have a very much needed breeze that this would be a hazzard when using the usual umberlla type shades. There is plenty of room for more of the substantial shades in the same style as they already have, just more of them please especially for us very fair skinned brits!!
Don't let any negative comments put you off, we had a wonderful time and met some really lovely people. A holiday to remember.

4  Thank Manchestergirl17
There are newer reviews for Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We made our third trip to the Tam in May and had a great time once again. The rooms while not elegant are clean and quite adequate. The location cannot be beat, clean white sand and a beautiful blue ocean at your back door. We have always stayed in building 25 or higher and while it is quite a walk to the main area, the view and quiet are worth it.

The food is good, we have eaten at all the restaurants, including Windows on Aruba. Love the lobster bisque at the Italian restaurant. Husband went fishing on our trip in May, the chef at the buffet prepared the tuna he caught and it was excellent. Edward, our favorite bartender, suggested the recipe and it was one of our favorite meals.

The drinks are excellent and not watered down. The local beer is really good and the water is great. Try the bunker bar during the day and for sunset. Coconut and Tucci's at night.

The Tam was our first all inclusive and we were immediately sold on the idea. We have tried a couple others, but always have enjoyed the Tam the best. We understand why people return year after year.

Tipping is not required but appreciated. These people work hard for their money!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon6101
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I haven't been to Aruba in over 20 years ... in the past I had always stayed in the hi-rise area, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect over in the low-rise area at theTam. I must say I was pleasantly surprized! The location and the beach area were just perfect. The people couldn't have been friendlier or more accomodating. Loved the all-inclusive concept and the food was above average. The room was a bit on the small side, but you couldn't beat your sliding glass doors opening up to the beach, with the ocean being literally just steps away. Huge shout out to CARMEN, thanks for your kindness. You went above and beyond!!!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at the Tamarajin between 7th-21st September 2012 on an all inclusive basis.
I have to say that having travelled extensively across the world this holiday definitely rates as one of the best!
The location is fantastic, white sandy beaches, crystal blue waters and the friendliness of the staff is superb.
The rooms are compact but well equipped (iron, ironing board, mini fridge, alarm clock, telephone, 2 x queen beds) only thing missing was a kettle! - however soft and hot drinks are available 24hrs a day at various points around the hotel - bars open at 11am).
The food is excellent - buffet restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food is good quality with a wide choice (I'm vegetarian but had plenty options to choose from)
The speciality restaurants at the hotel are the Ginger - Asian food, The Paparazzi - Italian, The Palm Grill - this is the seafood and meat restaurant where you cook your own food in the centre of your table.... all are booked at the concierge desk up to 3 days in advance, you can book as often as you like and the food is excellent.
All the drinks at the Hotel are branded which also includes Champagne!

The sister hotel - The Divi is just a short walk along the beach or you can go by free shuttle bus which runs every few minutes, you can use all the bars, restaurants and facilities including the Red Parrot speciality restaurant - Caribbean food (bookable as others) again fantastic food!

You can access bikes as part of your all inclusive and there are lots of activities to get involved in including Bingo! - the staff are brilliant and don't hassle you - the casino is well worth a visit too...

There was nothing about this holiday that I could find fault with - would definitely go back!

Room Tip: We were in block 12 which is just a short walk from all the bars, restaurants, reception etc. We ha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Birchk25
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was my first trip to both the Tamarijn as well as Aruba. I did a ton of research before booking this trip and I got pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

LOCATION: Can't be beat. All the rooms are DIRECTLY on the beach. I stayed on the ground floor and you literally can open your back door and walk five feet to be on the sand.

FOOD/DRINK: The Tamarijn has a few restaurants that you need to make reservations for, as well as the Divi next door which has the Red Parrot. Many of the reviews I read specifically mentioned the Red Parrot as the best place to eat and while it was nice, both I and my travel partner thought that Ginger at the Tamarijn was THE BEST restaurant at the resort. Ginger is rather small and we really got lucky even being able to get a reservation since we aren't the type of people to get up at 8am to make bookings. The Red Parrot next door was also good, but I don't think it lived up to all the reviews I read about it, although the service there was EXCELLENT. The Palm Grill is also pretty good, although I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy cooking their own food on the table. I did not get a chance to eat at the Italian restaurant, Paparazzi. The lunch buffet was surprisingly good with a good selection every day. Same for breakfast. The pizza at the pool bar was also surprisingly good. The bartenders at all the bars were attentive, friendly, and constantly refilling our drinks. Some of them poured a little heavier than others, I would always suggest tipping. No complaints about food or drink at all.

ROOM: Could use a little updating and the leaking showers are annoying but not a deal breaker. You get what you pay for here and while nothing here will WOW you, it really was totally fine for me. Some TV stations really come in terribly (ESPN for instance) but honestly if you're sitting around watching TV you probably shouldn't bother going to Aruba.

Other things I thought I'd mention since I didn't see much of them in the reviews I read before booking:

The casino is a quick shuttle ride away. It's small but has a lot of slot machines if that's your thing. The Blackjack tables have VERY low limits ($3 from 6-8pm and $5 after) as well as craps. If you like to gamble but aren't a high roller, it's a pretty fun time.

The nightlife was actually better than I expected but still lacking in a few areas. There was a DJ playing dance music a few nights and it seemed nobody but my travel companion and I felt like dancing. Same thing for the live bands - good music but a very...subdued crowd. I realized before booking that this was a pretty relaxed resort but you'd think some of the other people here would rather be in a library or sleeping than enjoying their night out. One of my only complaints is that there is no good sound system around the pool bars at night and so no music once the live bands stop playing around 10:30 or 11. The travelers here seemed to be a very diverse mix of younger and older couples. I went at a time in September as I figured there wouldn't be many kids around and this was the case. There was a diverse mix of Americans, as well as some European and South American travelers, which is fun if you're interested in meeting people from all over the world as I am.

Overall, a *spectacular* trip, especially for the price. I wouldn't even hesitate to book here again, although next time I'd stay for twice as long.

Room Tip: Stayed at the 1800 block, just far enough away from the center to be quiet and easier to get good sp...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mofroman
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the Tam for 9 nights for our honeymoon, and overall, we were very impressed. We took a taxi to and from the airport and I would recommend this over the bus ... both times we beat the line of people coming off the bus. If you like to sit on the patio/balcony in the evening I would recommend a 2nd floor room; I think we would have used a balcony much more than we used our 1st floor patio in the evening (details below). The rooms have soap and shampoo, but no conditioner, so be sure to pack some! We had a great trip and would definitely recommend it. Here are our pros and cons (sorry so lengthy!):

PROs:
- Most of the staff were friendly and helpful; everyone did their job adaquately but it seemed like the Tam bar staff was friendler than the Divi staff.
- Room was close to the gorgeous beach and we were on the bottom floor. From our beach chairs under an umbrella we were about 30 feet from the water and 20 feet from our room ... very convenient! The beach was not crowded at all.
- Food was great! We tried the Red Parrot and Paparazzi, which were excellent. The dinner buffet was okay, the lunch buffet was really good. We frequently ate at Pizza per Tutti whenever we wanted. The great thing about the All Inclusive was that we could try the buffet, sample some food, and if we weren't full we could always go grab something at Pizza Per Tutti (and yes, this is probably why we gained a combined 15lbs on our trip!). We also tried the Windows on Aruba restaurant, which was nice, and something different.
- Our (included) honeymoon dinner at the Sunset Bistro was incredible ... absolutely gorgeous atmosphere and incredible service. I unfortunately did not catch our waiter's name but this was the best service we received in Aruba. The Tam provided transportation to and from the restaurant.
- We met a lot of great people on our trip, almost everyone was friendly! It was really a nice mix of all ages; it wasn't all honeymooners like a lot of other resorts.
- Great drinks anywhere we went ... they were strong and most of the time we didn't have to wait long. Usually at the Bunker Bar the drinks were refilled before we even asked.
- I was nervous that our room would smell like cigarette smoke but it didn't at all. It was cleaned every day and we were very happy with the cleaning service.
- I read a lot of reviews that the rooms were small but it was plenty big enough for the two of us.

CONS:
- The $2/day for the safe seemed a little silly after what we were already paying. Also it was inconvenient to carry the safe key around all week, a combination lock would have been better.
- We stayed in room 2515, the last room of the resort. If I went again I would definitely book something closer to the main area. Once the Bunker Bar closed at 7, it was a long walk just to get a drink or two. Although it was usually pretty quiet, the public beach was beside us and a few days got a little noisy. We also saw people from the public beach helping themselves to the resort chairs, even chairs that had people's towels on them. Security was always around but never said anything to the locals.
- On that note, the security guard literally sat on our patio throughout most of the night ... there was even an extra chair there for him. While we were happy to have security around, it was just... odd. It made us feel like we couldn't sit on the patio at night, and it was weird to wake up in the morning with someone out there until 6am. We would have felt more comfortable with a 2nd floor balcony.
- They definitely could have used more beach chairs -- getting up at 6 or 7 just to reserve chairs isn't how I'd like to spend my vacation. Honestly on our end of the beach, probably 4 more chairs per block would have meant that everyone would have a chair without having to reserve them early.
- The entertainment wasn't really our style, but I realize that's just a personal preference.
- Would have preferred that the restaurants were all non-smoking.
- The only unfriendly staff members we encountered were at the desk for reservations ... I had questions about some of the outings and was just handed brochures without a word.
- The shuttle service seemed inconsistent, sometimes we'd walk from our room to the other end of the Divi without seeing a shuttle go past. We waited a little while at the Windows On Aruba for our shuttle back to the resort, and for awhile we wondered if the shuttle was even coming.
- Would have been nice to have a fan in the bathroom ... there was a window but our screen didn't really work. Also it wasn't very nice to hear "bathroom noises" from the room above us every morning!
- Would have been nice to have conditioner supplied in the shower with the shampoo and soap.

Room Tip: If you like to relax outside in the evening, choose a 2nd floor room to enjoy the balcony.
2  Thank FNB354
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Went there for my honeymoon and it was perfect. We got a room in the 25 building but it was super nice and we didnt mind the walk to the main area with the bars, and we could swim to the bunker bar. Truly a place for the "newlyweds & overfeds". The beach is incredible! The food is good, especially the red parrot. The buffet is OK, but not great. Gabriel the bartender was the man! Just do your own thing and enjoy yourself and dont stare directly at all of the incredibly sunburned flesh of the fat retirees that sit out for weeks on end because it will cause retinal damage and emotional distress. After a few days of chilling out we were glad to explore the island, and it was all the better after a little adventuring to come back to the laid back Tam. Also if you are upset about the bar opening at 11AM you might need help. They let you drink all day long!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank daveed d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!