“a very good experience”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
toronto
“a very good experience”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Divi is one of the first hotels along the big strip and is located beside the TAMARINJ. This is another all-inclusive resort. Access to the Tamarijn restaurants and facilities is also included as it appears that it is owned by the same company. This is really great as you can eat at a variety of places. I traveled here with my husband and 2 babies. Here are my impressions of the Divi.
Rooms: It is true that the rooms are dated but do you care? What are you there for? Staying in your room or enjoying the phenomenal beach? The rooms are comfortable in size. We were staying at the VISTA II and found no problems. If I need to complain about something it is the fact that the garden view over looks a construction site. But, if you turn your head to the left.......there is the ocean. We had 2 cribs in our room and those were awful. They were so low that you could not even put down the baby without dropping them in. One crib even was missing a wheel!!!!. We had a king bed and found it comfortable enough.

Beach: The beach is amazing. It is wide, long and not busy. Fantastic as it is quiet and very clean. There is a large beach truck that comes by and cleans the beach. However, there are few shady places to go as the big umbrellas are few. In order to get one you need to get up at 6:30 – 7 and put your beach towels down. That was horrible but at the same time I got to see amazing sunrises and what a beautiful breeze! Not at all bad.

Food: Eatable. The breakfast is typical North American fare….bacon, eggs (any which way you like them), coffee, cereals, juices, fresh fruit, pancakes, etc…. The lunches and dinners were also okay. There is variety and I challenge anyone to find better when going down South. There are black birds that will swarm down and pick at the food from the table as soon as you get up to leave so the staff try to get there first. It was quite comical for my sons. It did not bother us. The drinking water is very very safe in Aruba and the U.N claims it is one of the cleanest and safest. It is true. None of us, (including my 1.5 yr old son) did not get sick on the food or the water. Once again do you live to eat or eat to live? It is not gourmet fare but it is tasty although everything seemed to be too salty!!!! The restaurants book quickly so book asap. The Red Parrot was our favorite followed by the Asian fusion restaurant. Don’t bother with the Italian restaurant…..baddddddd Italian food. There is ample food on this resort, you won’t starve!!! The drinks are also good but the bar on the beach seems to have stronger drinks than the one nearer to the pool. There is no water or other drinks in the fridge in the rooms. Once again it is not a deal-breaker!

Service: The staff did their job. They did not serve you on hand and foot, so don’t expect that. They were pleasant and polite enough.

Location: One of the best. It is 15 min from the airport. Not on a busy stretch of beach unlike the Riu or the Holiday Inn Sunspree. Apparently the beaches there are packed like sardines! The sand here is like powder and the water was a bit rough when we were there. Not sure if that had to do with the earthquake in Haiti as we were there when it happened. The breeze makes the heat very tolerable but be careful as the sun is quite strong. It really is like a postcard! You are give one towel but I would recommend you bring one or two big ones from home.

Entertainment: Hmmmm…..not much of it but they do put on nightly shows which were ok. We found that there were a lot of older people (50+) and many young families. There were a few honeymooners and couples. Not sure if it had to do with the time when we traveled (Jan 10-17). We thought it was great as it was quiet!

Overall it was a very good hotel for the money. We were there for the sun, the sea and some great family time…….we got all three…….I would go back.

4 Thank vyktoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Sunquest had this hotel rated as a 4 star --- two star would be pushing it. In fact, we ran into newlyweds who switched to the Riu as the bride was in tears when she saw the room. Garden view faced a piece of board painted green. The washrooms were so old - and we had a good room. Food was so so. A lot of elderly people are here --- not much for young people to do unless you like playing Bingo all day. The pictures look similar to what the hotel looks like but another couple, like we were were looking to see where these pictures were taken. I was so upset at the accomodations that 4 of us (two couples) switched over to the Riu Aruba halfway through our stay. We got a deal on this vacation so if we were paying full price ... well, I would have raised the roof. I had an argument with the hotel manager who finally conceded that maybe the pictures were taken a while ago of the hotel (maybe 20 years ago) and that is why they did not meet our expectations. If you don't mind eating with the blackbirds, then you won't mind eating at the buffet they have. You really need to book in advance to eat in one of their restuarants (food again ... so so). We ended up sitting at a table outside the washrooms --- not a good thing. Anyway, if I had the choice to go to Aruba and stay at the Divi or not go to Aruba --- I would stay at home and look at pictures on the internet --- it was the same thing.

This hotel needs a lot of work to be brought into the 20th century. A bar fridge means you have a fridge in your room --- an empty fridge --- but nonetheless the bar fridge. For the safe (which they charge you $2 per day) you need to use a lock and carry a key around with you --- no bottled water in your rooms, drinks, alcohol ... nothing. Not even Corona's.

If you like self serve you would like this hotel ... no one to bring you drinks ... you have to get up and walk over to the bar (no swim up bar) and get them yourself. No staff to wait on you.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank summerlovin34
Toronto
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Me and my girlfriend (Both 22) stayed at Divi all inclusive from Jan 15 to Jan 22. we had read almost all the reviews including the negative ones. All we can say is the place is absolutely wonderful in-fact we have visited other hotels around the area including the high rise and decided that the beach at Divi was the best! We have purposely looked for a quiet non party resort to relax and simply enjoy the beach and the water. If you are looking for the same thing Divi is an ideal place. As we got to the hotel we got upgraded to an ocean view room which was wonderful clean! I honestly do not know where some of the people get these nasty pictures of bathrooms from! The room was flawless! Unlike some of the other places in the Caribbean the bartenders didn’t demand tips and were always ready to serve you! Weather was just amazing like it always is in Aruba! We had an amazing time and honestly don’t let the negative reviews throw you off!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Valerachka
usa
Reviewed January 26, 2010

We loved the Divi! We did have to request a room change due to the fact that the first room had a dated bathroom that made the whole room smell musty and they accomodated us. We were moved to the Vista II Garden View and were very happy - the beach was steps away. Rooms were not huge but clean and workable for four people. The Divi is so laid back and the beach is the most beautiful on the island. It's wide, uncrowded and has great waves for the kids to have fun in. The food was great and I think we hit all of them - Red Parrot was the best, we ate there three nights - Palm Grill was OK but not our favorite. Nightly shows were fun - the kids were facinated by the dancers.

We stopped in at the Hyatt in the high rise section since we honeymooded there 15 years ago. The hotel is beautiful but the beach on this strip is packed. The water was flat and boring. What made us love the Divi even more after being at the Hyatt is that there are regular, friendly families at the Divi. The Hyatt seemed to be full of snobs and overindulged children.

We used the bikes provided free of charge at the Tamarjin to go to the high rise section and had a good time. They are a little beat up but they did the job.

If you would like to do any snorkeling, banana boat rides, etc. make sure you go see "Superman". He has his "office" as he calls is set up on the beach in between the Divi and Tamarjin. He can hook you up with any watersport you like and he is a great guy!

We didn't want to leave the Divi and if we ever return to Aruba we would love to stay again!!

Shopping in town closes up by 6:00 p.m. so be aware of that.

5 Thank kssitsmeagain
usa
Reviewed January 26, 2010

Our Christmas vacation at Divi in Aruba was the worst. The people a dishonest, the staff is unprofessional and the place is dirty. I would recommend any other place to stay but Divi.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2010

This hotel has a serious water leak problem in the Veranda wings. Our ordeal started the first night when I noticed that it seemed very humid in our room ( 2716)despite the Ac running periodically. The next morning I noticed water droplets on the floor. Thinking that my wife had accidentally spilled the water, I thought nothing of it and went to the beach . When I returned in the afternoon I noticed more water drops on the floor and realized that the water was leaking from the ceiling! I called maintenance and a worker came and informed me that all the rooms do this if you do not run the AC continuously. I then pointed out that 30 % of the ceiling was visibly moist and this could not possibly be the result of the Ac and that their had to be substantial amount of water in the ceiling tiles to cause the leak. I then called the front desk and they told me again that all the rooms have" water condensation " if you do not leave the AC running and " any room you move to will have the same problem". Skeptical , I then told them that I would run the AC and see if the water logged ceiling would somehow resolve itself. I then proceeded to take a nap only to be woken up by the sound of water dripping on the floor and the bed! I then called maintenance again and another worker came to inspect the room and he confirmed that this was indeed a common problem in the veranda rooms due to poor design of the AC installation. I then insisted that they move us to another room ( They moved us to the newer Vista wing and that room was dry and in good condition) . I wasted 2 hours dealing with this problem and found the front desk clerks and supervisors were very unhelpful and arrogant . I believe that only by being polite but persistent did they grudgingly move me to another room.

Coincidentally, later the same night the manager France R. came by to say hello to our table at the Red Parrot. I then recounted my experience to him and he was genuinely apologetic and pledged to personally look into the problem. Being an experienced world traveler I would have to say this is the most disappointing hotel experience I have had in 20 years but did not let it ruin my holiday. In fact the rest of the holiday was good and that is the ultimate irony , if we had been located in the Vista wing in the first place I would have given the Divi a 4 Star rating. Unfortunately,I think it was fortuitous for my fellow travelers that we did experience the Veranda wing so that others are forewarned of the poor state of the Veranda rooms.

If I were the Divi CEO I would make the following changes to improve the hotel;
1/ renovate and repair all the Veranda rooms
2/ increase the number of beach palapas so that I don't have to get up at 7 am to reserve
3/ wider variety of snack type food at the Pizza/ sandwich bar
4/ PC's in the lobby for guest use

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank davidli
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2010

We have 2 children, girls 6 and 8. This was their first vacation out of the country so we wanted somewhere clean, safe with no worry of bugs, or food illness due to water of poorly prepared food. We found a wonderful Resort in the Divi Divi in Aruba. It was everything we hoped for for a nice family vacation. The beach was one of the best I have ever visited and I have travelled to 7 Islands in the Carribbean. The staff was very friendly, especially to two very polite and courteous little girls. They always had a smile and some went out of their way to give the girls a little extra treat like and ice cream sundae or some friendly advice for things to do with the kids. The rooms were clean and the housekeeping was always friendly and had a big smile every day. The food was good at the buffet, they tried to vary it, but mostly basic fare for a buffet. The only complaint was lack of vegetable dishes as it is a large part of what we eat. (we are not vegans, just like variety!!) The food was always well prepared and hot/cold at the buffet. The a la carte restaurants were excellent. Our favorite being the Red Parrot. The Ginger was good and their spring rolls were really good. We also went to the Paparazzi, and the lasagna there was excellent. We didn't get a chance to visit the Palm, but plan to on our return visit, hopefully next year!! Make sure you book in advance for the a la cartes to get the time frame you wish as they book up fast.

The beach was awesome and we had no problem finding a chair. The bartenders were very attentive and always had a hello for us. One in particular named Mario always had a drink ready for us as he knew what we liked as he saw us coming up to the bar. We always tried to tip a bit where it was warranted, a little goes a long way, and was very appreciated.

One word of advice. If you book a trip here, be advised that the Divi Divi All inclusive and the Divi Village are two separate resorts. They share the amenitites like restaurants and bars, but one (Divi Divi) is on the Beach and the Divi Village is on the opposite side of the road attatched to the golf course. The Divi Divi has NO SUITES. If you book a suite and think you are going to the Resort on the beach you will be sadly disappointed. The SUITES are across the road at the Divi Village. A lot of travel agents are unaware of this so make sure you know exactly where you are staying!!!

We rented a car for the day at a reasonable price and travelled to the other side of the island. What a beautiful view from the east coast!! The roads aren't marked well, so take a map. If you get turned around, the locals are very helpful and will go out of their way to help.

The water is very drinkable as it all is from the desalination plant on the island. Just add ice and you are ready to go.

We didn't have any problems with bugs at all. I think I saw one mosquito and that was it.

The shopping is fabulous, being only 10 minutes from downtown. There is local fare and high end shops as well.

We also Geocache and there are a few good ones on the island. Good luck if you are a hiker, and if you are, don't miss out on the National Park, it was very beautiful there!!

We loved our vacation, the island, its people and the resort where we stayed and it will definately be a favourite place to return to in the future.

6 Thank 4sandybottoms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#20 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort

Been to Divi Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!