“Unless you are snotty or an extreme complainer...you will love it here”
Review of Divi Aruba

Divi Aruba
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
NH
“Unless you are snotty or an extreme complainer...you will love it here”
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We just returned last week from our Honeymoon at the Divi all inclusive. We stayed for 10 days and the food never got boring. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch and for dinner we made reservations at one of the three restaurants. Reservations can be made in a day inadvance or the morning of...and we made them around 10am each day not 7am like some suggest. The Red Parrot was our favorite, the Asain restaurant was fantastic and the Paparazzi was great too. The drinks were definitely not watered down and actually i had to ask them to go light on the Captain b/c my drinks tasted only like rum. The bartenders were extremely friendly. We made friends with most and we didn't tip a lot. I am sure some of them have bad days as we all do...get over it as they are allowed to have a bad day. The rooms were nice and while some upgrades might be needed this was not worth complaining about. Our bed was very comfy and the TV had all sports channels plus the lobby played the games...mostly for us East Coast sports fanatics. I would suggest upgrading to an ocean view or beach front foom. We did this as it was part of our honeymoon package and i would suggest to anyone that this is well worth it even if there is more of an expense. Also, we were recommended this hotel by my bosses boss who I'm sure can pay for a more fancy hotel but year after year he comes back here. We also met a lot of people and groups of people who have been going to the Divi for 15, 20, and 30 years. We also took a day and went over the Links and used their pool as it is just beautiful. But besides that one day we spend all the rest of the 8 days on the beach and yes we did get up around 7 to get a hut. But whatever, that didn't bother us and we did share our shaded space. The beach is breathtaking and i cannot describe how peaceful and calm this beach is...you just have to go. We did go to the high rise to catch the Jolly Pirate boat and when we were there we were so glad that beach was not our beach as it was extremely crowded w/ guests and vendors. Didn't look much different than Hampton Beach over in NH. no thank you! So, i would recommend this hotel to everyone. Enjoy. Oh, and i did get anhour massage that was to die for!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank soxnpats09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Korean first
Voorheesville, NY
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Rooms well kept. Spa tub was a little "high" to climb into. Had a fridge. $2 Charge for in-room safe - which does not fit a laptop. Cable TV with HBO and Cinamax. All sporting events televised.
Bar service depended on the person. Some certainly more attentive than others. They got tips. They do pour heavy though! You can get good and drunk if you wish.
Pools in good repair and clean. Pool and beach services (towels, floats, beach chairs) all clean and available for free.
Tennis courts... sandy. Slipped on one. Be careful. Fun though.
Beach better than some of the others we walked. Well groomed - not much shell and rock debris.
Check in and check out un-eventful. Smooth. General staff very friendly.
Food average. Meat (beef) not the best - but it is all inclusive, so kind of expected. On premise restaurants had some hit or miss dishes. Dutch onion soup was excellent in the Red Parrot Restaurant.
Proximity to casino and a Dunkin-Donuts very appreciable!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank Topher-The-Man
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The Divi All Inclusive is a rip-off. The food is disgusting. The drinks are made with watery mixers. The staff is rude (and it doesn't matter if you tip them or not). The only good thing is the beach and, considering the many resorts in the area, you can do better.

The Divi is not cheap and horrible. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank bags99
Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This was our first visit to Aruba and we picked the Divi because we were looking for a low rise complex right on the beach - and we also needed to co-ordinate our trip with family from England who were meeting us there for our Ruby wedding celebration. Sunquest (Canada) and Thomas Cook (England) managed to arrange for us all to be in
in the Vista section - facing ,and just steps from the best part of the beautiful beach Sunset weddings were held almost every night during our stay and we could witness them all from our bamboo umbrella in front of our room!
True, the rooms are a little dated, but they are kept spotlessly clean - and sheets and towels are changed often. Housekeeping staff were friendly and accommodating.
The day we arrived they were changing all the mattresses in the Vista rooms so we had a bed that no-one else had slept in - lovely! And very comfortable too!
We found the food to be generally very good - except for the beef - steaks were invariably
tough and stringy, even in the "a la carte" restaurants. A two week rotation of the menu would have been better - as we stayed for two weeks and the second week was just a repeat of the first.
Drinks were generous and plentiful - but rarely did the barman smile!
Being non-smokers, and coming from countries where smoking is banned almost everywhere, we found the "smoke anywhere" concept a bit uncomfortable - but the constant breeze did help waft the smoke away - if the wind was coming from the right direction! We would even find the smell of cigarettes in our room - coming from the extractor fan in the bathroom. Tip: Stretch a plastic shower cap over it and it completely stops the smell!
However, over all, we had a wonderful vacation! The resort is well maintained and runs like clockwork. The nightly entertainment is what you would expect - lots of dancers -nice music - occasionally a night market. The ocean is turquoise as in the pictures.
The atmosphere is very relaxed and laid back - we came home feeling very refreshed - and very sunburned! Take care!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank CanadaRuby40
Boston,MA
Reviewed October 10, 2009

This was the second time we visited this resort. First time was about seven years ago, then we liked it much more. Not much had changed they added some outside cosmetic changes, but rooms did not get a make over. The food experience seems to have been cut back since our last visit.
For us the most important part of our vacation was the beach. Beach at this resort is beautiful very large and never crowded. The food is very average and selection does not change much day to day. Specialty restaurants are ok, but the service is very slow. The worst one was Chinese (the service was absolutely awful) the best was Italian restaurant (Paparrazi). Both of these restaurants were on the Tamarijn property. The restaurants on both properties can be enjoyed by the guests. The Red Parrot at the Divi was good and the easiest to get the reservation to. Menu at either restaurant did not change thought our stay.
The drinks are very good. The Pizza/Panini place at the Divi is very good and people that work there aver very friendly and nice.
We had stayed at many different resorts at St.Thomas, Dominican, and Mexico we also stayed at RIU on Aruba. We picked Divi Divi because we had very good time the first time we came. Now after staying there again I do not think we will come back to this resort.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank peaches18Boston_MA
clifton, NJ
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I did not like the Divi Divi. I would not reccomend it to others. Although this hotel and its sister hotel the Tamarajn are all inclusive the food was totally disgusting. The lunch and dinner buffets were almost unedible. It was really hard to find something appetizing. They did have sit down restaurants but you had to get up at 6:30 every morning to make reservations for the next day. I don't know about anyone else but when I'm on vacation the last thing I want to do is get up that early. The Pizza snack bar was good if you couldn't find anything at the buffet,but that can go only so far, and thats if they decide to even open! The shuttle service between the hotels was whenever they felt like it. We waited over 45 minutes for the shuttle to the other resort,and when you complain it doesn't do any good. The location is away from everything . We took the bus or taxi to Palm beach area. There was a lot more things to do up there by the large Hotels. We enjoyed going up near the Riu to do all our water sports. If I ever returned to Aruba I would definetly not stay at the Divi Divi or Tamarajn. There are so many other Hotels at Palm Beach where I would stay. Stay away from these two hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tuffmom
TX
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Thanks everyone for the reviews, I found them very helpful so I thought I would pass the favor on.
Ocean view room (3rd floor) was overlooking smaller pool and ocean side rooms, nice view of the palm trees and the ocean(see pics). Room had been updated, very clean, flat screen tv, comfortable balcony furniture, bathroom was "dated".
Some sites list this as a 4.5 star hotel, the all inclusive aspect must add 1.5 stars cause I would call it maybe a 3 star hotel.

I thought the service was very good and very prompt. The staff appeared to be working hard and I noticed the other guests around me were also promptly attended.

I have never liked buffet food, so with that in mind- I enjoyed breakfast because I could have an omelet made, along with cereal and oatmeal. I was entertained by the breakfast birds, those who were not sat inside =). After trying the lunch buffet once we ate pizza every day at the coco grill which I thought was very good. Had the dinner buffet the first night and I didn't think anything was really good. We ate at all the hotel restaurants which were a step up from the buffet. Normally I love the twist different places put on fairly standard dishes but here the twist seemed to be mass production. Most desserts were disappointing, ice cream was good. We did hear other people comment on how delicious everything was and there were plenty of people loading up on the buffets. I was glad I had read some negative reviews on the food which lowered my expectations a little.
The beach is large and uncrowded. I gave 5 stars for the location based on this. If you want to be near lots of shops and restaurants you need to stay at Palm beach, or take a short bus ride. The divi was fairly quiet which I enjoyed and the Tam. seemed to have all the activity. We would start walking the sidewalk between the two and usually get picked up by the shuttle cart. I did overhear some guests complaining about how long they had to wait for it.
Over all I was content with the hotel. Some of the Hotels on Palm beach are very nice, with beautiful grounds and pools, but the beach is crowded and lots of activity boats blocking the view. For this trip I was happy at the Divi, next time I may try out the Raddison and try more of the islands restaurants, but if I had done that this trip I would want to try the Divi next.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank vamonosamigos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba? Share your experiences!