“Wonderful honeymoon at a Fabulous location - shame about the rooms”
Review of Divi Aruba

Divi Aruba
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Wonderful honeymoon at a Fabulous location - shame about the rooms”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have just returned from our honeymoon at the divi aruba. The check in was very easy, as we were checked in on the bus (thomson transfer) and then went straight to our room.
The location is amazing! White sand and turquoise blue sea - exactly what we wanted for our honeymoon.

Rooms - we had booked ocean view room through thomson. When reading reviews on here I became a little worries about the rooms and had seen on the divi Facebook page that some rooms had been refurbished. I emailed reservations before travelling asking if possible could we have a refurbished room as we are celebrating honeymoon. Unfortunately we didn't - we had a room in vista 1 building (206) now our room was about 20 footsteps from the beach and view from
Balcony was beautiful - this is what stopped us from complaining about room. Like I said earlier I was expecting the room to be dated from previous reviews but it was worse that I thought. The rooms are in desperate need of an update or the hotel needs to bring their star rating down! The wardrobe doors don't meet in the middle and the bathroom can't have been updated for decades!
The rooms are very clean and again the location makes up for it.

The buffet is a buffet good selection and what you expect from an all inclusive. The a la carte restaurants were all very good but the reservations are a pain especially when you are told that the only time left is 9.30 and when you look in at 8pm there are loads of tables free - we asked at the restaurant and they let us in early. The drinks are strong and the bar tenders will keep topping you up!
The pizza bar is better in the tam.

The pool area is much nicer at the divi than the tam but we spent most of our time on the beach. There's no need to rush for a sun lounger - we went down about 9.30am for breakfast and then headed to the beach/pool after and there were always beds available.

Tip - pay the little extra and go to Windows on Aruba - best night we had and food was out of this world!!

Tracey the thomson rep is great and on site most days to
Answer any questions!

Overall we had an amazing honeymoon! This hotel is definitely in the area to stay - high rise is way too over crowded! I just hope the hotel invests some of the money they charge for hotel into the up keep of rooms!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Amy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Korean first
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Divi and had a great time. Check in was very easy, no long wait, no hassles. We went directly to our room (215) and it had two queen beds rather than a king (which is what our reservation paperwork stated). The front desk offered to move us the next day but the oceanfront king was on the first floor and did not have as great of a view as we had in our current room. My advice would be save the money on oceanfront and just get ocean view. Our balcony was great, view of the beach, the beautiful water, and all the boats. We could also sit on our balcony at night and listen to the live music. The beach is the best beach I have visited. I could have just floated in the water all day. My problem with the Divi is the reservation system for the restaurants that are a part of the all-inclusive price. We arrived Monday and could not get a reservation until Wednesday night. This seems to be an ongoing problem since several other reviews state the same issue. We did get to eat at The Red Parrot and Ginger's both were very good. Wish we could have tried more of the full service restaurants. The buffet was actually very good, much better than other "all-inclusive" buffets. The town is about a mile and a half down the road. Sometimes we walked and sometimes we took a cab for $8 usd. The shopping is expensive in Aruba, although at the open air markets you can barter. The further you get from the cruise ship terminal, the cheaper everything gets. The trade winds blew all the time which made the weather perfect. Just remember wear lots of sunscreen. Also, try a "dirty banana" and "arubian coffee" while you are visiting. Overall, very good resort for the money.

Room Tip: Room 215 had great view of pool and beach. Not to loud for us, but we enjoyed the nightly music.
3 Thank GallivantingMandy
Ellington, Connecticut
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I went to the Divi for the 2nd time from 7/30 to 8/7 and we had a great 9 day vacation. The Divi has not changed much at all from the last time we were there two years ago. In my opinion that is a good and a bad thing. Its a good thing because we liked it so much the 1st time but a bad thing because not many updates have been done.

I understand its not a RUI resort but it got the job done and we had a great time. I will start with check-in and when we arrived the bellhop remembered my wife and I from two years ago which was pretty wild. We checked in without an issue and to our surprise the person at the desk said we had a nice room. I did book an ocean view room and requested the Vista 1 or 2 building. When we went to our room we were so excited they gave us the last room on the 2nd floor of Vista 1 which was a suite. We had an amazing balcony overlooking the ocean, a king bed and a bidet in the bathroom which my wife loved.

The room has not been updated besides a flat screen TV and probably a new bed. We got a great night sleep and the AC blew cold air so we did not have much to complain about.

The beach was as beautiful as the last time we were there however we did notice a little more garbage on the beach than two years ago. Eagle beach is probably hands down though the nicest beach I have ever been to though.

The Divi grounds again did not change much and the one complaint I did have is that the nighttime shows did not change at all from two years ago.

The food was good we liked the buffet however we felt for breakfast the choices could have been more broad. The lunch buffet was pretty good and we did not eat at the buffet for dinner so I am sorry I can not comment.

The Red Parrot was our favorite the grouper and steak, Ginger was good and Paperazzi was so so IMO.

The bartenders were good as usual however we were sad that Eric and Randolph were out due to injuries. We still had fun with Raphael, Erik (new guy), Willy, MaryJane and Robertico. The bartenders were super busy and did the best job that they could. I think each bar there should have two bartenders at all times seeing as how busy it is there however we did not wait long any any point for drinks.

Overall I gave it 4 stars because it is a 4 star resort in my opinion. The Divi is a great place and we will be back hopefully in one year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jason S
Birmingham
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Have just returned from a two week break to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and i must admit that prior to going i was a little worried about some of the negative comments...... Have to say that in relation to our stay, we couldn't find anything to back negative comments up. Our room was wonderful (stayed in veranda) with a lovely view of the sea. The staff were friendly contrary to what had been written, i find that if you use your manners and are polite to them, they are the same to you. We had no problems booking the a la carte restaurants.
The beachside bar is a great place to unwind with a G&T early evening to watch the sun go down and Rafael, one of the bartenders is a real character.
We went out and about on the local bus, visiting the California Lighthouse and there is a lovely Italian Restaurant there which will let you go and take photos on their terrace of the lovely view from up there. The beach below was really lovely as the sea was very calm and shallow.
The winds made it more comfortable to sit in the sun as without them, i dont think i would have been able to spend as much time in it as i did. The beach was absolutely amazing.... Beautiful white sand which didnt burn your feet and clear blue sea, we didnt get up early to get a place, and were able to get a spot every time. The pool was a little noisy as there were quite a few children, although there were some nice beds on the decking at the back of the pool area to choose from.

Of the two hotels we found that we prefered the Divi as the Tam was more geared up to families, and our trips to the high rise area confirmed that the Divi was the best location as it was very busy up there with bars etc
It is uselful to bear in mind that you have to pay an exit tax of $32. 25 and you will need the exact change.

You are never going to be able to please everyone all of the time, but i think it is a shame that there are very negative comments about this place, but you have to speak as you find, and i would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone - If you are looking to unwind, eat, drink and relax in beautiful surroundings then my advice to anyone who is considering going to Aruba is what are you waiting for...... !!

8 Thank Jayne B
england
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from two weeks in Aruba. A wonderful island with lovely, friendly people. It is USA commercialised compared to other places we have visited but would return tomorrow! We stayed at the Divi All Inclusive resort. Our room in Vista II (401) was 20 steps from the powdery white sand and crystal clear sea.... Wonderful. The sea could be choppy at times but it did not worry us, just made it more fun! Some people have complained about the trade winds, but believe me, it would have been unbearable at times if the wind had stopped. The weather was roughly 32 and above during the day and not much cooler on the evenings. We had two rain showers within our stay, one being on the day we left!! The room does need updating but the bed was very comfy and the cleaning staff did a fab job keeping the rooms clean and towels changed daily,if you wish. All staff were friendly and unlike other people, we did not feel we had to tip to get better service, polite conversation and manners goes a long way. The al a carte restaurants need to be booked each morning for the following evening, if you like eating about 7.30 ish, then you will need to get in the queue early to book as the popular times go quick. Our favourite was Ginger followed by the Red Parrot. Beware they do rush you!! Especially, in the Italian.. We had a 4 course meal + coffee and was in and out in 40 mins and the Palm Grill pair up couples to make tables of four. The other thing they will not offer you or tell you about is the champagne!!!! This is available as part of the all inclusive from the pool bar and restaurants. I will admit I did not like the buffet restaurant, the food was always cold, they don't put on their hot plates on. So only went for breakfast as could not get a cuppa tea anywhere else. The sand piper bar cooked food to order so we went there at lunch times, but remember you are in the Caribbean, so if you want to eat and run then don't bother! The sun loungers (with shade) on the beach were taken up quickly..the secret towel bardage were up about very early at times, but like us, instead of moaning... Join in lol. You do have to pay $2 a day for room safe key, if you want one, and there is a little cafe outside the the main gate, which offers free wifi if you need it, just buy a coffee as prices in hotel are high. Only used the pool once, but it was lovely, cleaned every morning, the sun loungers looked like they could do with being replaced along with sofas in lounge area near reception. But none of these little negatives would stops us from returning or recommending it others. We would also recommend the half day De Palm safari trip, great fun and think about hiring your own jeep... We used more for less, you can find their number in Aruba travel booklet on service desk. Also the local buses are very good, friendly staff and cost $2.30 one way for wherever you may wish to go. Baby beach was lovely but we like Arashi beach better, it is near the lighthouse and snorkelling was very safe, shallow calm waters lots of fish. We also had a go in the local casino which if worth a look, try your luck with the slots and you too could win!!! Just take limit funds with you. If you have questions, please email me as I will be happy to answer any questions.

Room Tip: Explore the island on your own... Very safe and roads are easy to drive on.
2 Thank debdave13
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed at the divi for our honeymoon, and have to say it was fab. We stayed in the verandha rooms, and have to say I wanted to bring the bed home. It was so comfortable. Room was cleaned every day.
The beach was beautiful, clean and no body hassling you.
Couldn't fault the food, and if you decide to stay here you must go across to Windows. The food there is outstanding and well worth the extra dollars.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, couldn't do enough for you.
It is a windy island and I found this great considering how hot it would have been without it.
There are two pools, the large main one and a smaller one outside the verandha rooms. I preferred this one as some days myself and husband were the only couple around it.
All in all, a truly amazing holiday, and we will definitely be making a return visit.
Oh, and one last thing, I read a review on here that said there wasn't named brand drinks, well everyone that we saw was what you get in the UK! Bushmills whiskey, Tia Maria, Bacardi, Gordon's gin, Bailey's etc etc.
The only negative thing I could say is that some of the rooms were a little dated - not the verandha rooms as these have just been resuscitated. Oh, and there are lots and lots of iguanas, especially at the beach grill, but this just added to the charm.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lou690
South Thomaston, Maine, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Excellent relaxing vacation! Friendly staff, good food with more than enough options and the drinks are never empty! Rooms may be a little outdated, but they are redoing them, and I didn't go there to sit in my room anyway! Can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pam P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba? Share your experiences!