Tripadvisor
Oranjestad
Post
Inbox
Search

“Overrated by far. Poorly managed. Food hits and misses.”
Review of Taste My Aruba

Taste My Aruba
Ranked #6 of 275 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Description: Welcome to Taste My Aruba! We are an authentic, family-owned, farm to table and sea to table restaurant. We believe that food is culture. When you take a seat and enjoy a meal in our outdoor garden, you will be able to enjoy the flavors that are unique to the island alongside friends, family, and loved ones. Each day brings new food, and with that our menu is never the same. Everything here is from Aruba and for Aruba. All of the meals that we serve consist of only fresh, local ingredients. Join us for dinner and experience the culture and soul of our beautiful island.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Read this for amusement.
I was really looking forward to this evening and it did not hold up. It was a strange, somewhat (but not) amusing evening.
The owner is on set which should be a plus but she contributed to this rating.

We place our order with the owner. Fish Cakes, Ceviche,Barracuda and Kingfish.She literally states, "let me write this down, I seem to forget putting orders in sometimes, but its ok,I am the owner and can comp". Who states that to customers?....
Our ceviche never came, nor was it on the bill.....lol...so much for writing it down.
The fish cakes were very good.
My Kingfish was over cooked and slightly dry. The sides were very good.
My wifes "Barracuda" was very good BUT
the bill came and said Wahoo so we have no idea what she had.
The waitress could not remember anything. We were amused watching her bringing plates to the wrong tables.
Twice we asked her for water and twice she brought it to the wrong table. They snapped at her, "We do not need anymore water, take some away, there is to much on the table"..we never received the water.
There are only about a dozen tables..
I watched other tables waiting for food,waiting for the bill,waiting for the receipt and getting frustrated with the extended wait.
I really cant figure the hype as we witnessed and experienced a completely mismanaged evening.

Date of visit: January 2020
nathalydemey, Owner at Taste My Aruba, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, it's much appreciated.

Self deprecation, it's not for everyone obviously lol.......!My sincere apologies that the ceviche never came. Once an order is placed it go's to the kitchen to be prepared.

Each dish is prepared as ordered, so the fish is fileted when ordered which takes time, we are not a fast food restaurant and most of my patrons enjoy the art of dining out which entails a break between meals to enjoy each others company and a good conversation over a glass of wine.

King fish and Wahoo by nature are a dry fish, they are sport fish so full of muscles. BUT we reduced the price of the barracuda to a wahoo since you did not get your ceviche, which I yet again apologise for!

The team member was not having her best night I would agree and for that I am sorry, it's not something she did on purpose, but hey if that amused you so be it.

We stand for unpretentious, fresh and honest food. So I am unclear about any hype.

Much love from team Taste My Aruba

Write a reviewReviews (272)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our experience here was terrible. The server took our order and returned 10 minutes later to retake it, as she said she was "busy"
the first time she took it. The fish soup had no fish and should be renamed fish broth.
After waiting an hour for our meal, the server said she would check on it. Fifteen minutes later the owner came by and complained of staffing issues.. When the food came, the fish was tough and chewy and had clearly been microwaved.
With so many other choices on the island, do yourself a favor and do not eat here.

1  Thank pikeman
nathalydemey, Owner at Taste My Aruba, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you ever so much, for taking the time and writing us a review.

I am ever so sorry that you did not get to experience the true sense of Taste My Aruba. The night you visited us we had a team member with a medical emergency, she had a diabetic seizure and fainted, we are a small team and we work as a family as we spend a great deal of time together. So no doubt we all were worried as she was at the hospital awaiting to see a doctor whilst we were at work.

I never came out to complain about staffing issues, I shared the situation at hand as I did with all other guests and advised every one that their food would be coming out with delay. Most every one, understood!

I truly apologise for the server, being slow. I came out to your table and give you 3 meals on the house as a sorry for the sever being slow and the food being slow. We create each meal as ordered and don't have thing ready to go like a fast food restaurant, so the microwave part has me baffled. If memory serves me right I even offered you yet another free meal on your next trip to Aruba.

You are so right, with so many choices on the island, opt to dine elsewhere.

We stand for fresh food, not the fresh frozen type. We believe in working as a team and if someone is sick we care. We believe in being kind and understand when we make a mistake we correct it, in your case we gave you 3 free meals.

Nathaly

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was an excellent meal with excellent service. The music made for a wonderful ambiance. We had the Caribbean lobster and the linguini with lobster and, I must say, it was one of the best meals we have ever had. The cashew cake for dessert was a wonderful surprise. This meal was the highlight of our dining experience in Aruba. The attention to detail with presentation of meal did not go unnoticed. If you go to Aruba, make reservations, you will not be dissatisfied

Date of visit: January 2020

Wooho thank you for taking your time and writing us a review.

We are delighted that we lived up to your expectations.

Nathaly

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Very good food. It’s a little confusing when you get there as to where you check in. It’s essentially tables in the sidewalk. It’s nice don’t get me wrong. Our server was a little slow and confused but the food was spot on. The grouper was a huge piece and very well
Cooked. We had the cashew cake and carrot cake for desert and
Both were excellent. I highly recommend this place.

Date of visit: January 2020

A genuine thank you for writing us a review. Our square is off the beaten track, yet right behind the Government building indeed. So delighted that we satisfied your palette.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This is seriously one of the most amazing meals I’ve ever eaten in my life. We found it spur of the moment and arrived right when they opened - luckily they were able to give us a table. We are so so glad for it!! What followed was a lovely, long, romantic dinner with some seriously good food. From the polenta to the amber jack to the cashew cake, every bite was a good one. It’s a lot of food, but so worth it! Beautiful ambience, kind waitstaff, killer fish about as fresh as it gets from a restaurant. We will never forget our wonderful dinner here!!!

Date of visit: January 2020

Wow we are humbled with your review thank you for having such great taste ;-)

Danki from Team Taste My Aruba