“Aruba Relax and Enjoy”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Aruba Relax and Enjoy”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel is in the town of Oranjestad.and includes a casino. For fun and relaxation the hotel has it's own island, the boat to the island comes into the hotel lobby. The island has plenty of lounge chairs and hammocks and has two beaches, one where tops are optional. There is a beach bar on the island that also serves lunch.
The hotel has a pool that faces the port where the cruise ships dock. The hotel also has a pool bar and a resturant. There are other resturants and shopping within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SamD0149

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We spend a week in the Renaissance hotel in Oktober 2013.

Best parts of the trip.
- Convenient location on walking distance from Oranjestad.
- The private island!!!
- Good breakfast and nice restaurants (go for the fish buffet in Aqarium!)

Negative
- We had a room in the Ocean Suites. The room was ok, but not great. Dirty sofa, bathroom was not very clean....Next time we will book the Marina part of the hotel.

When we return to Aruba we will book the same hotel again.

Denis

1 Thank Denis-vn
Ballwin, Missouri
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at the recently renovated Marina Tower for several nights prior to leaving for a beach location. We were concerned about the construction noise but did not really hear the faint sound of a drill on the day we departed.

The location is ideal for getting the local flavor of Oranjestad. There are many shops, small malls and restaurants within easy walking distance. Our room looked over the pool and had a partial view of the marina. We could see three cruise ships in port the day we left for another property, While the Marina Tower is not beach front, guests are able to take the boat to the Renaissance Private Island at no charge,

The updated rooms are very nice. Our only complaint was that there was no desk with easy access to power and the internet cable jack. This would be inconvenient for a business traveler.

We did not experience any major problems with service. Service at the bar by the pool was on the slow side, but we found that to be more of the norm at many places during the visit.

I'm sure that we would go back as long as it is a 2-3 night visit before moving to one of the beach properties. I would not advise this for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the atrium if possible.
2 Thank Boat-Captain
Long Beach, California
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Enough has been said about the location of the hotel and the rehab/construction going on so I won't get into too much of that again. For some, they might enjoy the large amount of shopping available and the "city" feel and if you haven't had many resort vacations you'll probably be just fine and that is why I gave this hotel an average rating. If you are a person with high Marriot hotel status and have high expectations and want more seclusion, keep reading and or re-book immediately. Everybody we made contact with at the hotel was very nice but there are systematic problems. The Marina hotel has very limited access to upgraded rooms in general, especially with limited rooms due to the rehab. We were checked into one "rehabbed" room that had no bathroom door, then another room which somebody else was already well situated in. The third room was simply unacceptable for a Platinum member (Small, missing furniture, poor views, bad design). It was at this point that we decided to move hotels. This hotel change saved our vacation. There are some bigger suites if you are lucky enough to get one but in general these rooms are tiny and the rehab design does not make any sense. You're going to the bathroom not far from where you are sleeping and the glass door that is supposed to be your bathroom door, let's just say offers no privacy. The shower is half glass covered, so no matter how hard you try, water can’t help but escape into the rest of the bathroom. Balcony’s are standing room only. There is wired internet in the room but the cord does not reach to the "sitting area" in the room so you kind of have to sit on the floor. I really do wonder if the genius that designs these rooms has ever stayed in one with another person, I’m guessing not. Whether you want to admit this to yourself or not, you will be spending a third of your day in the room one way or another so I do believe you need to be happy with what you get. I would suggest hotels in the Palm Beach area for that real vacation feel.

Room Tip: Higher floors will help with the construction noise going on below. Be aware of the service charge...
7 Thank RCali
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nice downtown hotel with access to their own private island from the lobby.
They understand how people want to travel. There is a 'family part' and a 'adult only' (Marina) part.
So there were no yelling kids and nasty parents. Heaven!
The boat ride to the island goes every 15 mins and also the island is split up in 2 parts.
The rooms are large and very comfortable.

On the downside:
They were rebuilding and we were given rooms right under the rebuild-area. But that's what you get when you book through Expedia (that doesn't make you a popular guest). And in the bar they did not really know how to make any kind of good cocktail or tell the difference between a chardonnay and a sauvignon blanc.

But next time we go to Aruba we'll definately book here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the gloomy rooms that look towards the inside Atrium.
1 Thank Airportinhabitant
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just returned from a week at the resort with two friends for a girls trip. To start the check in line was from the counter to the door. Desk staff was friendly, but nobody was able to get into their rooms until 4pm. The room which faced the pool area had a bedroom with king bed, a bath with a tub/shower, living room area with pull out sofa and eating area and a kitchen area with two small refrigerators, cook top, sink and basic appliances. The room was clean, but run down with peeling paint and worn furniture. This is by no means an upscale property. Everything is very basic. Lingering too long in the lobby requires mosquito repellent. Pool area is nice with a bar that usually filled with quests having fun. We frequently went over to the marina side to use the fitness area (which had a great variety of equipment, but mats need to be replaced-badly) and also to get cabs which were always available there, but rarely at the suites. The marina side was very nice and had a upscale "Miami" feel to it. Service at both hotels was very good. The island was nice for a change up, but not something that I wanted to do more than once. It is literally right next to to the airport so frequent plane noise overhead was the norm. We were told by other guests that the food was bad so we picked up sandwiches from Starbucks to bring over. We were on the adult side of the island and the shoreline was coral covered and made it hard to get into the water comfortably. It was nice and quiet as far as crowds, but not my cup of tea. Being in town as opposed to the Eagle Beach area meant a lot of cab rides for us as we were seeking nightlife of some kind. Overall good service, but not a great property. Adequate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jaluca04
DC
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This review is a fair synopsis of my experience. I'm not just throwing a one star bash fest because I had a terrible experience. I will sit here with you and justify why this hotel deserves one out of five stars.

Check-in

We arrived at 2:15pm right in front of the Marina "adult only" side of the hotel. We were not welcomed by anyone of the staff nor did we see any staff. We did see a staircase and an escalator. Once at the top of the stairs we noticed the front desk with no one in line so we walked right up to a receptionist. She took my name and credit card and informed me that my room was ready now! Pretty good start I thought. She gave us our room keys for the 6th floor. She then described to us how our all inclusive package worked. Before we started to walk to the elevators she told us to come back to the desk at 4pm to swap out our keys for our all inclusive keys? Ask yourself right now as you read this "why would the receptionist tell them to swap out keys at 4?" The reason is that the all inclusive program will not start until 4pm on the day you arrive. I told her we had just traveled for 8 hours and could really use an ice cold beer. She pointed to the BLUE Bar in the lobby and said Balashi was $6.25 a bottle. We were not allowed to use the all inclusive package we purchased for over an hour. What should have been said was "Welcome to the Renaissance we are so happy you arrived early! Here go to the bar and start enjoying your all inclusive stay with us!.

Room

The 6th floor I was staying on was newly renovated. Bright blue and gold carpets, automatic doors and new linens. The room itself was very small. The shower does not have a door it only has half a smoked glass and the entire floor gets soaked with every shower. The bed was comfortable, the TV was good , and the room had a fun little L shaped couch and table. Just like everyone who has stayed in a hotel before I threw my bag down walked over to the closed blinds grabbed them by the handle and threw them wide open to enjoy the most wonderful view of the Caribbean !! The dumpy parking lot next door and some building next door that was under construction as well as the Main Street in Aruba that has dump trucks after garbage trucks driving back and forth.

6th floor

Like I stated the 6th floor of the hotel was newly renovated. This also included the worst sewage smell in Caribbean history. The odor was so strong and up close that I would look under my flip flops every time I got off the elevator to see if I stepped in poop.

BLUE Bar

This bar was never crowded but usually only had one bar tender and one server. The service was extraordinarily slow. The tropical frozen drinks are not authentic they are mad from a mix that you could find at your local supermarket. Ordered the sliders. They were decent but very greasy. They came with potato chips. Every time you want another drink they have to ring it up and print up a receipt you have to sign even if you are all inclusive. This practice which may be necessary for their books leads to an awfully slow dining and drinking experience. This bar also has music pumping all day with your favorite local Caribbean beats like Michael Jackson, Mumford & sons , and Lady Gaga. Seriously nothing says the tropics like poker face especially into the wee hours of the morning which I could hear perfectly in my room 6 floors up.

Casino

Speaking of poker the crystal casino is the only 24hour casino in Aruba. It is air conditioned and smells and sounds like any casino in AC or LV. There are probably 20 tables total with maybe only half open during prime time. Table limits $5-$25. Dealers were fast with cards and payouts. The first time I walked in I decided to try my luck with a little $10 blackjack. I found an empty table with my name written all over it. I sat down and the dealer started to shuffle. Right before he dealt me my first hand(I cashed in for $100) a lady and a man sat immediately to my left and right and mother man stood directly behind me. Where did these people come from. I won the first hand and colored in a because I didn't even want to know what they were up to but it was fairly obvious they were a team. Drinks are free when you are gambling but good luck finding a cocktail waitress.

Pool

The pool is directly behind the Blue bar and is host to a great view of the...garbage trucks and construction vehicles that drive on the Main Street between the hotel and the sea. You can get one drink every hour of you are lucky because again it's just the one server from the blue bar that has to swipe and make you sign for each transaction.

Fitness center

Typical hotel gym. Treadmills a few free weights and a couple yoga balls. Towels and water are provided.

Spa

Got a couples massage. It was in the brightest room they could find with Kenny G Breathless playing rather loud. The massage was good but the atmosphere and ambience was terrible. They had a steam room which was a highlight. Should have just gotten two separate message with my girl because the individual rooms were the typical spa massage rooms.

LG Smiths

I ate here twice because it was the only decent meal we could find at the hotel. Good service, good atmosphere besides the guy sitting next to us with cut off sleeves and a trucker hat. Had the Baseball sirloin and delmonico ribeye. Both were good but same quality of those at a casual dining restaurant in America like TGI Fridays.

Aquarias

Had the a three buffets B, L, D. The best way to describe the food that was offered is this, have you every received a complementary continental breakfast at a hotel? That's it for breakfast lunch and dinner. If your lucky you were able to find something decent. But it just seemed like this Buffet was probably their money maker with a huge price tag and not much to offer. Stale bread, cheese with hard edges, scrambled egg thing. Favorite thing was this cheesy bread the size of a large grape. This is supposed to be adults only but there were kids every time.

Captains corner

Went here for breakfast one morning. Place was empty beside all the lizards and birds at the table that were unsuccessfully kept out. The food was the exact same as Aquarians except a lot more mushier because of the outside humidity.

Sole

Went here for lunch one day. Took about 15-20 min for a waiter to come over to us. Orders two quesadillas . Food came out rather quickly but was forcefully thrown on the table. It was not good and the tortilla chips it came with were stale.

Private island

The dock was located on both the adults "only" side an the family side. The adults only do k was closed several times when we were there so we had to walk across the street to catch the boat. Boats were there timely. The adults only side of the island was empty except for 6 flamingoes that seem out of place and perhaps kept there against their will. Lots off Mosquitos on this side as well as that awful sewage smell. It was unbearable so we walked over the the family side. The family side was much better and there were people on this side. There is also a bar and grill. One server came to our lounge chairs once the whole week to get us drinks. All the other times we had to get up ourselves and walk over to the bar and get drinks two at a time. Except this one time when they finally gave me a Bucket of beer. Ate at the grill once at it was atrocious. Had hot wings which were just fried crunch. Did not eat here again. The private island is close to the airport and you can see and hear every take off and landing, real peaceful...

In conclusion

This place was not worth any of the money I spent on it. The slow service made it almost impossible to get your monies worth. Adults only rule was not enforced. Saw a lot of miserable people with their arms crossed. The tv channel that promotes the hotel says "more dining options than you can imagine" that is a complete falacy. The staff made me feel like it was such an inconvience for me me being there as if They'd all be on vacation themselves if I weren't there keeping them open. The coffee was actually pretty good probably because there is two Starbucks at the renaissance so they had to compete. During breakfast they bring you a shot glass of either cantaloupe or honeydew juice. The hotel should do more unique thing like this. Although I can taste why those juices aren't mainstream. I can not believe that in reading reviews that people spent their honeymoons at this hotel. You and your loved one deserve better than this during your special time.

My advice is stay in the high rises.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
18 Thank kmangio7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba
Divi Aruba
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!