“Great Vacation”

Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance Aruba (Marina Tower - Adult Section) for our vacation. The lobby bar was nice and located right by the pool. The pool was smallish, but very nice not to have any kids around. The room was okay, the washroom definitely needs a make over. She tub/shower was small, but it was also very stained and appeared dirty. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. There is a small casino on the grounds, but that was all the entertainment. You could also go to the family side and the pool there was kinda like a lazy river. The food in Aruba was good everywhere we ate. We ate at the L.G. Smith Steak House at the hotel and it was good, the buffet was nice and had a good variety daily. There was fresh Mahi Mahi, Grouper, Snapper, Lobster Tails, Shrimp done fresh on a grill, plus salad bar, a very small dessert bar. The only think I didn't like was the 15% service charge at 90% of the places we purchased stuff. The food and drinks are a little pricey, I would recommend going all-inclusive & if you still want to try local restaurants you can. Oh they have a private beach which u need to take a boat too, very quiet at the beach & always a chair to be had.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the Ocean View vs the Marina View
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,115)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Spent 3 nights here to begin our vacation, the first 3 nights I was going to be with 2 of my kids and then my wife was going to joing us. I'm an Elite Marriott member and I recieved an email from the property a week before my stay asking my preference on room and such. I requested a double, got a king and I also requested a pick up at the airport and got a confirmation email. Nobody was at the airport to pick us up. I might be a Marriott snob, but I was really disapointed in these 2 issues. Then I find out that the Renassance is a "resort" and does not give any breakfast discounts to Marriott Elite members.
The main reason why I chose this property to start my vacation was that it was a Marriott property..but I didn't get any of the benefits. So if you are an Elite Marriott member, don't expect any extra treatment.
That being said, the property is pretty nice and the serice is pretty good. We stayed in the "Suites" section, which is the family section. The "Adult" property has the spa and the fitness center. I hear it gets more "active", but the Happy Hour (4:30-6) at our property got pretty active as well. Julio was awesome at the Pool side bar.
Property is close to most everything downtown and you won't need a car. We walked everywhere.
The Private beach is a lot of fun. Interesting to note, that the hotel does not have WiFi in the rooms, but at the Private Beach it worked almost the entire beach. You take a 10 minute boat ride to the private island.
Hotel has WiFi in the lobby and has cable in the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Hagearty
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Started stay in Marine Tower adult only to be rudely awoken by a jackhammer overhead on the next floor. Was never told at time of reservation or even at arrival there was construction going on. Asked to be moved and was sent across the street to ocean suites. In dire need of an upgrade. Couch in living area sank to almost floor and no light in living/dining area other than a 20 watt bulb in floor lamp on opposite wall.. No overlead lighting or any lighting in dining area so you sit in the dark. Hotel is supposedly non smoking even on balconies but people were smoking pot just below my room and no one bothered to pick up the phone at front desk or guest services when I tried to call to report it. Also bird poop on balcony chairs so could not sit in them. NEVER CLEANED FOR THE FOUR DAYS WE WERE THERE! Beaches are man made and boat ride to the "private island" is very inconvenient and the adult side beach is loaded with rocky coral in water and the flamingos are everywhere doing their thing. No signage for people with children so they're all over the place. Restaurant is poor and lounge chairs everywhere on resort are horrible; old and dirty and saggy.. NOISE FROM PLANES IS DEAFENING - BRING EARPLUGS. WOIULD NEVER RETURN NOR RECOMMEND AND I AM IN THE TRAVEL BUSINESS!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful experience...the poolside view is phenomenal plus have the option of a private beach. Ask for Raphael at Blue...he was an excellent bartender...made out trip very memorable! Restaurants were all excellent. Feeding flamingos on the beach at sunset....priceless!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank aschaefe
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The most beautiful place I have been. Raphael at Blue was the best bartender!!! The people are Nice and very friendly. The beach on the private island has flamingos that you can feed... brings lots of sunscreen, it was 90° every day.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I wanted to take my wife away for a few days as a 'thank you' for putting up with all my business travel last year, and this was one of the only resorts I could find who would take points in the Caribbean this time of year. We had a great time, the resort was very nice (especially the fitness center). As other reviewers have mentioned, the tubs in the bathroom do need updating...it looks like they were refinished at some point but the spray-on porcelain is chipping now.

Other than that, it was great. The boat that pulled into the lobby was pretty cool too!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We are heading back to The Renaissance this coming May and we've been coming to the hotel for the past 10 years. I read below that some people are a little disappointed with the rooms but I hear they are beginning renovations in the next year to update the rooms. This is not a new hotel so it just needs to be updated a little that's all. What I can tell you is that the staff are amazing. We have come to know them very well over the years. They look after us and make us feel welcome and basically like rock stars! The amenities are great. We stay at The Marina Hotel which is adult exclusive, which suits us very well. The convenience of the shopping mall downstairs from the main hotel is awesome. We love the private island. The boat runs frequently so you can come and go as you please. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to just have a fun and relaxing time. A great place to recharge your batteries.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Debbie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
4 mi away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
2 mi away
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!