“Very Well Treated”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Guelph, Ontario
“Very Well Treated”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Ok, so I am the 3rd party reviewer here - my parents (well travelled seniors) recently returned from spending 2 weeks at the Renaissance Aruba - Marina section. They travelled Feb 19 to March 5 with Air Canada vacations and report the flights were good and arrived at the hotel in a timely fashion. It took a LONG time to check in and being the last ones to get their room assigned lead to their previously arranged room having been given out to other guests. This was rather disappointing as Marisa, one the of the night managers, was an absolute angel and had arranged everything for them. I had spoken with her on the phone and via email to ensure my parents were well taken care of as my father has some mobility issues. It took 3 days to get their unsatisfactory room switched (apparently it was so close to another building/sky walk that they couldn't open their drapes for sunlight and weren't wanting to spend 2 weeks in that room) (this was NOT Marisa's fault - my parents didn't want to trouble her with their complaints as they had felt she had done so much for them already and dealt with the day staff). Room 1505 was much better for their remaining 11 nights.

Many discussions with other hotel guests regarding reviews stating "the hotel was disgusting" were found to reveal this was completely unfounded. My parents found everything to be immaculately clean. They say it is an older hotel, and the bathroom was on the smaller side, but their room was more than adequate and kept extremely clean.

They found the staff at the hotel to be very accomodating. I have to say that the Marriott hotel chain gets top brownie points for the way my enquiries were handled. My father has Celiac disease and has had difficulties on previous vacations getting decent meals. The customer service at Marriott answered my email IN LESS THAN 2 HOURS and I was put in touch with Jose Dominguez, the executive chef of the Renaissance Aruba within 24 HOURS. He assured me he and his staff would take good care of my father. They took his picture when they checked in and it was posted in all the kitchens at the resort. He was quite amused to relay to me 2 instances where the wait staff upon approaching their table said "hey, I recognize you - you are the gluten free guy". Even at the private island, the waitress knew him from the photo and knew what his dietary needs were . Now THAT is what I call customer service! I did not receive rave reviews from my parents about the food, but they report there was lots of it available (they were on the all inclusive plan) and it was good and they were pleased my father's dietary needs were being looked after.

As is usually the case, it seems the resort has a shortage of loungers around the pool which isn't helped by people reserving TWO sets of them sometimes (1 in the shade and 1 in the sun), nor by the apparent trespassing of people not even staying at the hotel coming in to use the facilities! Wow, that takes bravado doesn't it??

My parents found the private island to be nice and relaxing and I think would have visited more had my dad been more mobile (walking is a problem, no wheelchairs for him just a cane).

MARISA CERASUOLO, you ROCK!!! My parents loved you and you truly represented your hotel in the fashion it deserved. And Jose Dominguez, the executive chef and his staff deserve KUDOS for their care of my father's dietary needs.

Their overall rating for the hotel is a 7 out of 10. They found the people of Aruba to be absolutely lovely.

2 Thank CG_Guelph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel Feb 9th and 10th in the Island view part of the hotel. The hotel was not in good shape for such a premium price. The bathrooms were dirty and the tub had paint cracking in it. The bar area was full of smoke and the service was VERY slow....it took almost 30 minutes before we even got a menu and it went downhill from there. The next day we decided to go down to the pool area and there were no chairs to be had so we decided to go swimming.....however the pool was cloudy and dirty so we didn't want to even go in. The trip over to the private island was fun but the island was not in good shape at all.....they have flamingos that wander the island and they had let a lot of bird poop accumulate on the beaches. Very unattractive.
I am used to staying at moderate price hotels so I was completely surprised that the Marriott Renaissance hotel was in such poor condition. This is totally not what I have come to expect from Marriott. As any unhappy guest should do I asked for the manager and told her my issues. She acted surprised and said that she had not heard any complaints from other guests.....so she basically brushed me off. Funny thing is that when we were walking away from her another couple came up to her with the same issues! I do not think the manager was truthful with us as a lot of the other guests had complaints too. The manager refused to do anything to make our stay better and told us that the hotel is scheduled to be remodeled soon......well that does nothing to help us on our vacation. I would stay away from this hotel. We checked out of this hotel and stayed the remainder of the week in the Marriott Vacation Club rentals in the the Palm Beach area. That hotel is a beautiful clean and modern place that we enjoyed tremendously. I hope this review helps other visitors.

3 Thank Kenneth P
Sarasota, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2013

By far the best part of this hotel is the access to its own private island/beach. The hotel itself needs updating - very dated. Our just ok room had ocean and pool view. The doors of the juliet balcony were incredibly soundproof which helped because the poor choice of dj music nightly was loud and repetitive, not very conducive to the crowd. Happy hour 4:30-6 with 2/1 cocktails was a plus. The pool was too small for the size of the resort. Nice view of the marina/cruise ships/sunset. But take a short water taxi (provided) to the spectacular island and find plenty of lounge chairs peace and quiet. Negative was the close proximinity to airport (loud takeoffs). Plus was adult only beach avail. All age safe ocean access!! Flamingos, snorkeling, puffer fish, birds, iguanas abound w/food avail and clean bathrooms.

Room Tip: Suggest ocean view. Only juliet balconies avail. Close proximity to nice asst of restaurants. A ci...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy B
Saint Clairsville, Ohio, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance as a part of the Ohio Contractors Association Feb.20-27,2013. Everything was clean,the service was good, and the location was excellent. Food at the Ocean Suites was just "ok". Better at the Marina Hotel. Our bed was one of the most comfortable,ever! I thought drinks,food were a bit pricey,but, It's Aruba! The Spa at the Marina Hotel was very nice.
I found the surrounding area to be very safe,as I ventured out on my own some. The Private Island was exceptional and close to paradise!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 6, 2013

For a middle class working guy, the prices were a bit steep, but the hotel is in the middle of everything and I did not need to rent a car, so I booked at the Renaissance through one of the discount services. Still for the price I paid, I should not have to listen to the couple in the room above me playing nice with each other. I could hear the bed springs. Still I like the place and will be back, but only when I can book discount. The Island is a nice touch, so is the infinity pool next to the bar. The casino is a bit small and some of the card games are only open when a cruise ship is in or if there is a crowd. It was also across the street from Teaser Charters dock who I fished with. Had a great time. All in all we enjoyed our stay, but the noise at bed time, and the light switches outside the bathroom are the only things I could find wrong. I hope the folks on the outside on the front have more insulation because the bar is loud until 11:00 PM and if that noise got in I would have asked to move. I sound down on the place but I enjoyed it. It is nice enough but for the price it is not quite what I expected... still a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get an interior room or get one up high. If you are near the bar and pool it can be loud late. Pool...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JimDicken
Cazenovia, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is across from the cruise ships dock. The lobby is very lively and on the 2nd floor. The street level has a water way that the boats come in to take guest to the private island which is pretty cool. The private island has a restaurant and plenty of chairs on the beach and 2 beach areas one is for adults only. If you a re staying hear you really should go at least once. The rooms do need some updating and it appears that they are making that effort. When we checked in the hair dryer did not work, the drain in the sink did not drain properly and the bathroom needed a more thorough cleaning. We let the front desk know on our way out to wander after checking in and when we returned the room was cleaned, they fixed the drain and a new hair dryer was installed. They have been very attentive and I have to give them a huge applause for that.

Room Tip: Give the staff a chance to make your stay nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachFan711
Oshawa Ontario
Reviewed March 6, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel, our room was not ready. He asked if we would like a room with 2 beds, I said we are here celebrating our wedding anniversary so he said go have lunch & the room will be available then. They took our luggage & when we went to the assigned room our luggage was there already. Also later a bottom of champagne showed up for us to celebrate. The hotel had a pool only but all you had to do was walk (5 minutes) to the sister hotel, Renaissance Aruba Ocean Suites Resort and there is your beach front property.

They have a boat that goes to the only private island on Aruba. This boat comes right into the Marina Tower & picks you up. All beaches are public, only the Renaissance has a private beach. The Sunquest Brochure stated for this hotel "Adults 18+ONLY but we saw children here.

We really had a good time. Weather perfect (88 degrees), food & drink really good and plenty & people so friendly. As this hotel is located right downtown in Orangjestad, we walked all over the place. Everybody talks to you no manner who it is. Saw no one begging for money or even a homeless person. Of course, like all cities there is always renovation. We got on the bus a couple of times and it’s so clean. We went from downtown all the way to the high rise hotels in about 20 minutes. I wouldn’t want to drive as the downtown traffic is bumper to bumper. The pedestrians have the right of way so you can really cross anywhere as the vehicles will stop & let you cross. You tell the bus driver where you want to go & he yells it out and then gives you directions. Reason we saw no homeless was because the government ensures that “everyone” has a place to live.

We were going to take the Aruba Sightseeing Tour but Rosita, our Westjet rep, told us about the differences between this tour and the Discover Aruba Tour (De Palm Tours) and we went with the Discover Aruba Tour. You were taken from one end of the island to the other. It was a really good.

The big cruise boats came in daily and they are so big & of course some really stylish.

This trip was perfect.

Room Tip: If you want the beach, stay at the sister hotel, Renaissance Aruba Ocean Suites
2 Thank FrostyRoyal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,658 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,408 reviews
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,250 reviews

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!