“got married there. was perfect”

Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Maracaibo, Venezuela
“got married there. was perfect”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

i got maried on their private island , the food was just amazing and perfectly served, drinks too. very good waiters, fro me the dream party. and the wedding planner just had every thing under control. nice beach and the pool for adults is just extremely relaxing with excellente drinks. the rooms veru spacious and modern and very clean. very nice hotel , will repeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,011)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NJ
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed at the Renissance Marina since it was for Adults Only. We thought that meant there would be more of a young adult scene but there was really no activities going on and the other hotel looked like more fun in the pool and swim up bar.

We weren't able to make it on the day we were suppose to check in and called to make sure we didn't lose our room. When we got there it took over 20 minutes because they were having "difficulty" finding our reservation. When we got our room it was average. The bathroom was painted in the tub and it was peeling, the light was blinking so much you felt like you were showering in the movie Psycho. Our tv almost never worked but since we didn't plan on spending much time watching it we never said anything.

All the staff was kind, slow service at the pool at times during the day but always nice people.

Very fun experience being above a mall but I suggest getting a high room. On Friday and Saturday there was music playing so loud into the night its almost impossible to sleep. Fun having a boat in the lobby.

Location is wonderful! Walking distance from shops and a few restaurants (most were on the other side of the island). I would stay with the Renaissance again but stay in the Waterside.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel E
purgatory, mn
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Renaissance Marina (the adults-only side of this hotel) and were very happy with our experience. Even though they're working on renovations in the lobby, it didn't get in our way. The hotel did a great job of minimizing the impact on its guests.

My friend and I loved the pool area and the private island. The pool at the Marina is pretty tiny, but we were able to find a spot (shade for me, sun for him) each day. Poolside cocktail service is attentive, but not overbearing. Usually you have to hunt them down to get your check. The only complaint was there is no hot tub. One might argue, why do you need a hot tub in the tropics? But we always like to sit in one for a little bit at night to relax...ah well.

The private island is a gem. As noted elsewhere, George the boat driver is a riot. Also, one of the other boat drivers stopped underneath the approach to the airport so we could watch a plane landing from underneath - pretty awesome! However, there is a lot of jet noise at the island, which detracts from the otherwise relaxing nature of the island. There are iguanas and flamingos which will beg for food, but they're harmless and it's pretty neat to see these animals up close. The beach is pretty rocky, so it's hard to get in the water comfortably, but once you're in the water is perfect. Since you're sheltered from the ocean, it's calm and easy to swim in. The island wasn't crowded any of the days we were there.

To respond to some earlier reviews - yes, you do have to take a boat, which is a pretty short ride (less than 10 minutes with a stop at the Ocean Suites). But they run every 15 minutes or so, so you're not out much time if you have to wait. In my mind, it's worth it.

Also, the only mosquitoes on the island are in the mangroves on the nature trail. I didn't see any skeeters on the beach.

The island is worth the price of admission - I highly recommend the Renaissance just for this.

As mentioned above, renovations are in progress. They're starting on the rooms soon, and they need it. Our room was clean, if slightly worn. We had a great view of the marina, but that was the best part. I wish we had a full balcony. The bathrooms were the biggest disappointment - so small and the bathtub/shower was lacking in size, lighting and water pressure. Tile floors would be an improvement over the current carpeting - I hope they replace that component. There's even carpet in the area of the bathroom where the sink is. Ugh!

A couple of other notes:

Compared to other Marriott properties I've stayed at, the bar pricing seemed pretty reasonable. There's even a happy hour from 4:30-6 - 2 for 1s! (But do not try to order 2 for 1s at 6:01 - it ain't gonna happen and they won't be apologetic, even if you tried to track down your server at 5:55 and she said she'd be right back. Bypass her and go to the bar!) Try the mojitos! The ones I had at the Blue Bar at the hotel were the best I had on the island! Food seemed pretty decent in price and quality as well (I like the Bento box concept by the pool), but not a lot of options for a vegetarian.

Marriott platinum members - beware. A lot of the things we take for granted are not available here, including a free breakfast. You can get a discounted breakfast if you stay for 3 days and pay in advance, but it's still $15/person. The buffet is pretty good - well stocked, fresh and has a build-your-own omelet station. Also, the business center is a $5 minimum charge, no matter your elite status. I was bummed about this, as email is the only way I communicate with my boyfriend when I'm out of the country - so I hooked up my phone to wifi in the lobby instead (which I didn't want to do - I'm on vacation!)

All in all - I'd stay here again, but will wait until the renovations are done before booking my next vacation!

Room Tip: Note that they have a DJ spinning at night by the pool, which can be loud, so if you go to bed early...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank minalachatte
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed 12 nights in this hotel in november (also Thanksgiving). We stayed here with a little child so we had to stay at the family side (Ocean Suites) at the forth floor (24..). If you want a suite, this is the best price-quality option at the island I think ($190/night incl. charges). We booked the island (parking lot) view because the pool/sea view was 70 dollars per night more and we didn't want to spend that amount of money.

Room: The room itself is quite nice if you have children. They can stay in the same suite but not in your bedroom. The suite has a good size. We looked elsewhere (for example Palm Beach) but other hotels don't have the same concept with the standard suites. Definitely a pro. The bed is terrific and of a quality you should expect in a Renaissance hotel. The pillows are good as well. The bathroom has a good size but is not very well kept. It needs new tiles and new furniture. The living room is large. The "kitchen' is not well equipped, only a coffeemachine (broken), a sink and and a microwave.
So you can't cook there. No plates/knives/forks as well, only two mugs and two glasses.

Cleaning: Terrible. First of all most of the cleaning ladies don't speak English or Dutch. Only Spanish. So I had to use the 10 Spanish words I speak to communicate. But that's not the really the problem, the cleaning quality was. We stayed 12 nights. During this time they didn't vaccum the carpet, replace the bathrobes, use a duster at all and clean the side tables. They only did the trash, the bed and the towels. When we left it was really dusty. I think they clean it very well before arrival but don't clean during your stay. Anyway; not more than 2* quality. Of course it is not the end of the world but it is not what you expect in a Marriott (Renaissance) hotel.

Location: The location is very nice and unique. Everything is easy to reach. The marketplace with a Subway, Starbucks, Haagen Dasz and several good restaurants is perfect. Very clean, attractive environment to spend your time. You can also go to the other hotel (5 min walk), there are a lot of high-end shops and also a nice Starbucks. You can also take the boat to the island there. You can also go the Fort Zoutman for the Caribbean night (5$, nice show and good food).

Facilities: The island is nice. The boat service is good but we had to wait 20 minutes what was too long with a little child and the hot climate. We didn't see a schedule for the boats (should be nice).
I tried the fitness center a few times. It is open 24/7 and has everything you need. Also towels and water. I took a few aqua-aerobics lessons (sunday-thursday); friendly teachers and good exercises. I didn't try Zumba (saturdays), Yoga or the Power walk (tuesdays and thursdays, 5$).

Food: We bought vouchers for buffet style breakfast (15$ each, minimum of three nights). Breakfast at Captain's Corner is very nice because it is outside (at the poolside). They have plenty of choices. Some days there are mosquitos, so be aware of that and bring repellent. We also tried breakfast at the Marina hotel. This is air-conditioned and has more choices. It should be very nice if the orange juice was freshly squeezed, we didn't like the one they have because it is very sweet. We also had lunch once at the Marina hotel (buffet style). It was very good but expensive (30$ each + 15% service charge).

Pool: Nice, enough towel and beds. Also a small beach, so you don't have to go to the island if you don't want that.

Overall I think it was a good hotel to stay with children and as a base for visiting Oranjestad. It is not so overwhelming as Palm Beach is. And the island with the restaurant is a pro. If you want a hotel being perfect and luxurious; don't stay here. But if you want a holiday with all the facilities you could dream of and a lot of things to do in the surroundings and these rooms are ok for you, this is a nice and unique place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank maart_8
ontario
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed at this property ( family suites due to three in a room) in November 2012 with two girlfriends. We have all travelled extensively through the caribbean but it was our first time to Aruba. This is what we thought of our stay!

Pros: Food and drink selection was varied and delicious
Staff was very friendly and helpful
Private island was unique and offered beauitul scenery and wildlife
Hotel located right downtown and had a mall across the street from us.
Weather was hot and sunny
Great tours to choose from
24 hour casino on property

Cons: No nightlife or disco on resort
Pull out couch was unacceptable for sleeping, asked for rollaway instead.
Did not have the island vibe, being right downtown, felt very "Amercianized ", ie
Starbucks and Dunkin donuts beside the hotel
Most people staying at property were time share owners and were senior citizens
Had to always sign for meals and drinks and carry room key with us at all times
No beach right outside your hotel.

Not sure I would return to this property but had no real complants. Overall we had a great time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank joeyandotis
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I traveled to Aruba for my 3rd time this November and stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club, Marriott Surf Club and Renaissance during my trip. In my option, I would stay in the high rise hotel area (marriott, hyatt, westin, etc area). The hotel was clean, in a good location but didn't have a beach. You can go to the private island but this requires getting on a boat and going back and forth and following a schedule. On vacation, I want to relax not plan.

On a plus side for this hotel, the pool area was nice and large. It was rarely full and we had a choice of seats. It was great for sun bathing but had limited shade and umbrellas available. (Aruba sun is very bright and I need the shade to prevent burning)

The rooms (Ocean Suite) were very small and are in need of some updates. The bathroom is showing wear and tear. The bedroom area is in near the front door of the room and does not have any windows to the outside. The living room area is the only space with natural light. Additionally, we found that the bedroom area was a bit musty.

Also, don't plan on arriving any time before 4pm - they will not let you in the room before check in time There are tons of guests in the lobby each day just waiting to check in each day.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the pool or the ocean or you'll be looking at a parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank 3mantic
NYC
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Dingy, boderline dirty rooms. Soiled carpet, holes and stains on drapes, broken bathroom door, finicky room lock and leaky AC soaks carpet in the room.

Room service does not arrive until late afternoon and forgets to refresh your soap and bathroom supplies, forgets to remove dirty towels, forgets to vaccum rug, forgets to do their job.

Spa- tears in bathrobes, broken soap dispensers in shower. Ghetto fabulous, not luxurious.

Don't stay here, subpar overall performance.

Oh and crappy, creaky beds too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank s M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!