“Renaissance Marina was Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Washington DC
“Renaissance Marina was Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

My wife and I just returned from 5 nights at the Renaissance Marina and had a very enjoyable time. There are two properties at the Renaissance - the adult side (Marina) and the family side (Oceanside). The hotel, as other reviews note, is not right on the beach. It was nice mix however to have the pool right at the hotel and then have access to the private island. The private island is really nice and relaxing. You don't have to scramble for lounge chairs and it's easy to get drinks on the beach. The hotel itself is in great shape--the rooms are up to date and clean as a Marriott should be. When we checked in they had us in an interior room, they gave us the option to upgrade for $20/night to have a balcony and view of the island.....we highly recommend this! All food on the island is VERY expensive. They do offer the all inclusive if you are there for 5 days. If you're drinkers, you should definitely do this. You can eat at different restaurants outside of the hotel and they are included in the plan. My wife is pregnant and therefore not drinking so it didn't make that much sense for us. They do however have a meal plan for just breakfast and lunch for $32 pp/day and found this to be economical. Overall a great stay. Make sure you wear high SPF, we had SPF 50 on and we were burned on the first day.

• Liked — Private Island
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TravelingFromCapHill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Westwood, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

This hotel (Marina) is great for anyone traveling without children. While families have the option to stay at the suites, the Marina provides a quiet, calm and chic atmosphere where you can unwind. The pool has comfy lounges and is a great place to relax. The adults only beach is phenomenal with no screaming kids throwing sand and you can also feed he pink Flamingos which was really pretty cool. Bring beach shoes because there are small rocks when you first enter the water and we recommend lounges up on one of the jetties for the best breeze. Rooms are pretty good, not as nice as some of the large all-inclusive resorts we've stayed at in other locations but, considering the amount of time you're actually in the room, they will fit the bill. Location was such a key part of this hotel - walk to the best restaurants, shops and casinos on the island! We will be back and will definitely stay at the Renaissance Marina.

• Liked — Location, location, location...
  • Disliked — Rooms could have been a bit nicer overall
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank decadentdog
Baton Rouge, La.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

I am an avid reader of Trip Advisor and should have known better than to stay here after reading numerous reviews about the Renaissance. I won't go into every single detail....There is not enough room for me to write a book. This place is just gros. There is no better word! To start...There is no real beach..even at the Island. There is sand and a lagoon.. The rooms are filthy at best. I had to call housekeeping into my "clean" room after check in to get the poop off of the toilet. This was the "$99" upgraded room because I complained to the front desk that the first overlooked housekeeping(who come and go all day and night). The toilet seat in this upgraded room was so scratched and dented I guarantee it was the original one put here when this resort was built. Nasty! I am not sure what they did when they "renovated" a few years ago. Linens are old. Mattresses are old. Furniture is torn up. Bathroom is very out of date and ceiling is falling in. The vacuam never saw my room. Everything was filthy. The front desk was the worst. If you don't speak spanish you are in deep trouble. The front desk was outright rude to anyone..including me. If you have kids.. there is a subway, an Sbaggo and a Burger King within walking distance. You are downtown. All watersports are located in the hotel highrise area. Stay there. Much more to do. More water sports and fun outdoor restaurants. Most chartered water sports leave from this location anyway. The pool is fine. Don't get the all inclusive though. You never see a waiter. We had to hunt someone down everyday in order to purchase drinks and/or food. Go at your own risk.

• Liked — Beautiful Pool
  • Disliked — Service was horrible and hotel is outdated
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IrishWalsh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

i just spent 6 days at the Renaissance Marina resort and Casino in Aruba. This is a Marriott property located 10 minutes from the airport where the cruise ships dock. This is my 3rd time staying here in 3 years. I really enjoy the location of this hotel. It is NOT directly on the beach, but what is great about it is the ability to travel by boat to a remote private island. The boat arrives at the 1st level of the hotel so it is very easy to get to. This takes about a 15 minute boat ride which is lovely and no extra charge, all you have to do is show your room key and you can board. The private island has two large beaches with calm, beautiful aqua water. The beach on the left is for families from the Marriott Suites. The beach on the right is strictly for adults. I recommend finding a chair along one the sides where the tradewinds blow and you will never get hot. There are several flamingos on the beach that come right near you and their antics are comical. It 's very secluded and quiet and the boats run every 10-15 minutes back to the hotels.
Our room was nice. The beds were comfortable. It was clean and the maid service was adequate. There is a fridge and coffee maker. The shower head didnt provide a very strong spray. The bathroom provisions were nice. We didnt spend too much time there and it was quiet at night. There is sliding glass doors you can open with a tiny balcony you can only stand on. It would be nice if you could sit outside but we spent time sitting at the pool which overlooks the harbor.
There is a ton of shopping within walking distance. Look for the jewelery stores on the back streets for better deals. The shops on the main street will rip you off. Buy perfume here. it is almost 50% less than in America. There are also many nice restaurants close by and in the hotel. LG Steak House is pricey but is excellent. Que pasa and Yemanja are down the street and serve Dutch/Caribbean entrees that are ALWAYS guaranteed good. We took a short ride this year to Pincho's on the beach and watched an amazing sunset while we drank margaritas and martinis and had an unbelievable meal. Then we walked back along the beach. Breakfast in the hotel is very expensive. There is a cute outdoor cafe behind the hotel called Rumba. You can get a great meal for 6$. The waiter/waitresses are so nice, freindly and talkative. They deserve a tip.
We took the timeshare tour of the Marriott Surf Club down where the high rise hotels are. They are beautiful inside but it is like an amusement park outside with kids of all ages EVERYWHERE. I dont have kids so this was definitely not for me, but if you have a family it would be perfect. The beach was full of seaweed and the wind blows the sand in your face and it hurts! I was glad to get back to our hotel for peace and serenity.
The only complaint I have about the Renaissance is the coffee shop in the bottom of the hotel called Piazza. I was treated very rudely twice by their staff. They acted like they could not be bothered. They ignored you completely and had no sense of urgency. This is right next to the boat pick-up area so many people try to get something to drink or eat before the boat comes. I had to walk away twice to get the boat because I was ignored.
Overall I would recommend this property without hesitation.

• Liked — Location/Private Island
  • Disliked — The lack of balcony/The coffee shop
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank IrishWalsh
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

Made my first trip to the Carribean and it was amazing, the one thing to keep in mind about the Renaissance is that it isn't on the beach strip, we stayed in the Marina Hotel which was lovely, we arrived a bit early and our room wasn't quite ready so we were given complimentary drinks at the bar.

Room was small but we didn't need anything large, nice and air conditioned. Unless you want to get out and tour the Island a car really isn't necessary, cab fares are cheap even to the golf course.

The one problem with the hotel was the elevators were constantly broken sometimes both of them at the same time. Other than that the service was good, when ordering drinks poolside at happy hour order a few at a time because it is busy and not enough wait staff. For a nice meal out the LG Smith Steakhouse in the hotel is great.

The private island speaks for itself, if only it didn't close so early.

Would definitely visit again.

• Liked — The layout and amenities of the hotel.
  • Disliked — The elevator not working!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BrendanVancouver
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

I am the type of person that likes to read into where I am going before I go. I use trip advisor and blogs like these to help me decide where I am going. I might be long winded with this, but hopefully some of the suggestions and experiences I had will help you in deciding what to do when you are in Aruba.
First, this was my first time in Aruba. I have heard many good things about Aruba. My husband and I went there last May/June for our honeymoon and we stayed 2 weeks. Upon arriving at the hotel, it doesn't really look like much from afar, but once you pull up and are dropped off in the lobby, your worries are thrown out the door. The lobby is under the hotel with a water fountain that is beautiful at night. There is an indoor shopping mall attached to the hotel, which makes grabbing a quick bite easy, plus with a souvenior shop and LOTS of womens shopping literally right outside your hotel door, very nice! Since it was our honeymoon, they "upgraded our room", however not really sure what that meant, bc we even went back to them to ask for the upgrade we were promised and they told us that was the upgrade. Our view overlooked the side of hotel, which include the parking lot, island, movie theatre, and to the far right was the marina/ocean. Not too bad, but not the greatest... Lets just say I would've hated if they gave me the "island view".... word of advice... upgrade so you can at least see the water!!!!! THey were doing some construction at the time, but nothing we heard from our rooms. The only time it was heard was when we were laying by the pool.
The rooms were ok.... comfortable king bed, chair, table, fridge, safe... pretty much the same thing you will find in any Marriott hotel room. You can get internet available for an add'l fee for the week.
Being at the Renassaince, there is SO much to do staying at that hotel, besides all the great restaurants, which I will get to later, there is the largest shopping area on the island literally right behind the hotel. Everything from cigar shops, to electronics, to jewelry shops, and down to the little souvenior shops. If high end is what you like, they have everything from Kenneth Cole, and Lacoste to Gucci and Louis Vuitton! There is a decent size casino attached to the hotel, to where you can play it big on the high end tables, down to penny slots.... There is also shows that they have each wknd (thurs-sun) in the theatre also attached to the hotel.
There are SOOO many great restaurants on the island?? Where do I start? WIth the Renassaince, you can go all inclusive, or not. We chose not to go all inclusive because we didn't see the value in it. Some of the restaurants you could only go to once, and paying over $200 pp per day didn't seem worth it to me. There are many little restaurants nearby, if you don't do all inclusive that you can eat "cheap" for, for around $35-$55. If you are not all inclusive, be prepared to spend $100 per night on dinner. But again, to me that is cheaper than $200 pp per day...if you are all inclusive you are spending a pretty penny to be that way. IF YOU ARE NOT ALL INCLUSIVE, ITS STILL EXPENSE! IT IS NOT CHEAP TO EAT ON THE ISLAND! There are great restaurants inside the hotel itself: Aquarius, which is a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. MMMM... Good, but pricy! LG Smith steakhouse.... good, but sides were extra... want mashed potatoes with your meal?? Yes ma'm that'll be $6 extra.... but all in all, you only live once and its worth it... there is a little deli downstairs that you can go to for a bagel, egg sandwich or light sandwiches during the day.
There is an Italian restuarant right across from the Renassaince... it was the most expensive, and I hate to the say, but the least impressive out of all the places we ate. There are some nice little places to eat that are less inexpensive (best for lunch) in the shops by the movie theatre. Iquana Joe's is a casual place for dinner, or even lunch, and the price is good. There is a Carlos and Charlies nearby also for those that like to party!
Here are some MUST EAT AT places while in Aruba... I forget the name of it, but its a tiny little restaurant literally right in the back of Renassaince Aruba. It doesn't really look like much, but I think I had the best food in Aruba there! You can sit outdoors or indoors.. very nice!!! For my husband and I, with just a few drunks and our meal, it was around $85 Another GREAT place to eat is a nearby restaurant called QUE PASA. It has a spanish flare to the place and is an open air restaurant. Very unique place to eat and VERY GOOD!!!! that would have been the 2nd best place to eat! Our check ran about $85. Another great place to eat, but you need a car or taxi to get there is the Flying Fishbone. You literally eat on the beach with palm trees wrapped with white lights while you overlook the ocean. Me and my husband sat about 4 tables back from the water, and I was a little upset because I wanted to be in the water (yes they have a few tables to where you are literally in just a few inches of water!--they have little shoe hangers for your socks and shoes!) I'm really glad we didn't, we ate there at sunset and the coast guard kept going by on their boats, causing small waves to crash on the beach, getting the people that had their tables in the water a bit wet. but overall, it was by far the coolest place I have ever eaten at! Our ticket for our meal was $100. The most unique place to eat at in Aruba??? The answer is "La Fondue". Its a very small restuarant, and your entire meal is based out of a fondue! YOU cook everything you want to eat in your fondue, from the appetizer, to dinner and even the dessert! The food wasn't out of this world, but it was very good still but overall the atmosphere and the unique idea of the dinner was very different and unlike anything you could find in the states.
when you stay in aruba, I HIGHLY recommend renting a Jeep. Not just a car, a Jeep. You can see SO MUCH MORE of the island with a jeep! 1/2 of the island is based on tourism, so there are roads that lead to something... if you have a jeep or 4 wheel drive vehicle, you can go to the eastern side of the island which seems untouched by man... there are trails you can take throughout the island that will take you to so many sites you would never get to or have problems getting to if you were in a car. You can see the indian ruins, the little church, the lighthouse, the natural bridge and so much more! There are so many little coves you can pull into and just relax! The western side of the island is all white sandy beaches... the eastern side of the island is all rocky coves and cliffs!! Breathtaking! I highly suggest going up to the lighthouse to watch the sunset at night... there is actually a spot, just north past the lighthouse where you can pull up to rocks along the coast and watch the sunset.... its beautiful!!!!
As far as snorkeling goes, if you are an avid fan, you can find alot of snorkeling as close as the Private Island! The Renassainces Private island has pretty good snorkeling believe it or not! There was a baracuda and a puffer fish larger than me swimming out near the far rocks on the adult side of the island... needless to say I didn't go out that far again...The Island itself was aweseom! Pink flamingos and iquanas running around....live iquana feedings everyday at noon.... little creeks running through the island with exotic tropical fish swimming through... they have the ideal setting... a private lush island, on white sandy beach, pink flamingos literally a reach away walking near you, all the while you are laying on a hammock held up by 2 palm trees while your husband lays under a little hut feeding little blue skinks some soda...BTW the adult side has topless sunbathing... there is the "family" side which is for families, no children are allowed on the adult side. the Family side has a little restaurant and also a menagerie of animals like parrots, macawas, ducks... oh and rats... but I don't think they were part of the show there... so just beware!!! When we were there, the island had a bad mosquito problem. My husband and I tried doing the nature walk, but we only made it like 20 feet and had to turn around because it was THAT bad. my husbands back was literally covered with these horrid little bugs! IF YOU GO TO THE ISLAND, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE "OFF" OR SOME KIND OF INSECT REPELLENT WITH YOU!.
anyway, jumping back to snorkeling. there are a few places you can go to around the island, but the place I will refer you to is called Baby Beach. They call it baby beach because the water in most spots goes to about your hips. But the snorkeling there is AMAZING! There is a large reef there, so you should go there during low tide to avoid the heavy pull of the current, however you will also see some GREAT looking fish during this time!!! its worth a stop to a local store to get fish food, which is a shrimp based paste that looks like a toothpaste container... take it in the water with you, and when you open it up, you will be surrounded by HUNDREDS of fish almost immediatley!!!! One of the coolest things I have been able to do!!!! I have done alot of snorking in my days, and this is probably the 2nd best place I have been snorkeling! Snorkeling there can get expensive. My husband and I purchased snorkel equipment before we went... check with your local sporting goods stores, because you can get a good set of snorkel gear for well under $100.
For those of you that like to bring food with you on your vacations, well, for one you can't bring food with you to Aruba from the US. There are 2 local food markets. One is literally right behind the Renaissance, which the prices are still kinda high, but if you have a car, just a 5 minute drive away, there is a huge grocery store that has food as cheap, some cheaper than the US! So if you like getting foods for lunches or nite snacks, there you go!
Getting back to the Renassaince...we stayed at the Marina hotel, which meant no kids!!! which is nice because you have a pool that has nothing but adults in it... the pool is nice, its an infinity edge pool and overlooks the main road. The pool/bar area turns into a club "Blue" at night, which is pretty cool. They have bogo drinks for happy hour each day, with their signature "BLUE" martini...the service at these restaurants, whether on the property of the Renassaince or off... be prepared... its not like it is in the US>... service is s-l-o-w!!! apparently no one is in a hurry in Aruba, but then again isn't that what a relaxing vacation is all about? Taking your time??? Other than that, we never really had any problems with our room or service, everything was great. For our honeymoon, they provided us some gifts and champagne for us (complimentary), so if its your wedding or anniversay, make sure you state that, because you get a complimentary upgrade to your room and you get the honeymoon/anniversay gift package.
1 final thing I'd like to say is about Aruba in general. I have been to ALOT of different islands, and by far Aruba is the safest of them all. Some islands if you walk around after dark you take the rrisk of being hurt or mugged... in aruba, my husband and I were walking around in midnight, and there were people everywhere. they have security guards on most corners, but overall, everyone there is very friendly! We were told that crime rate there is less than 1% and that there are hardly any poverty there, which is true, I don't recall seeing that like you would on most islands... but those things really do matter I feel, when looking to stay somewhere... you don't want the day to end when the sun goes down....
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone!!! If your looking for a hotel that is close to everything within walking distance and has alot to offer, this is probably the one for you to pick if your staying in Aruba!!! So many other hotels on the island really have nothing to offer nearby or even onsite, and force you to hike or grab a car/taxi to be able to do anything... I know everyone's expereince is different, but hopefully everyone has a great time like we did. Hopefully my "book" helps you deciding where to stay, and what to do when in ARuba! Have a great time!

• Liked — that EVERYTHING was close by/ separation of "adults" and "family" both hotel rooms and PI
  • Disliked — our "upgrade" didn't seem like much of an upgrade
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Hodge288
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2008

This hotel is absolutely wonderful if you are looking for a COMPLETELY relaxing getaway.
The private island is amazing.. its breathtaking.. my husband and i went to Aruba for our 1-year anniversary and we had an amazing time.
nightlife is eggh. but who cares. You can have drinks by the pool at night and smoke a good cuban cigar.. everyone is super nice and casual..
we really loved aruba and will definately go back.

If you want more of a scene, stay in the palm beach area.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank lynachka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,547 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,608 reviews
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,149 reviews
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!