“Plan to go again”

Ranked #20 of 225 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are located in the heart of characteristic downtown Oranjestad and offer you a unique dining experience. Enjoy the freshest fish, biggest shrimp, or the most succulent Caribbean lobster amid the rustic ambience of the natural driftwood dining room. Our menu includes a large variety of typically Aruban delicacies including our three star fish soup and our mouth-watering filet of fish served with a mild Aruban Creole sauce... A seafood lovers dream come true. Furthermore all dishes are prepared with an Aruban touch and accompanied by Pan Bati, our famous Aruban corn bread. We welcome you to our intimate and comfortable Aruban seafood restaurant where we will do our utmost to make your dining experience a most pleasant and enjoyable one. Welcome to Driftwood!
Brighton, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Plan to go again”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Last year our son and nephew were looking for a charter fish outing and happened to choose The Driftwood where we could meet them after their trip to have dinner. They had a great time fishing, then the restaurant used their fresh catch and served our party of seven with lots of personal attention. I am not much of a fish eater but it was prepared different ways and everything was delicious! My husband and I are here alone this year and plan to return to The Driftwood tomorrow for dinner.

• Visited June 2013

“Not sure why people recommend this restaurant...”
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Over the years, we try to visit our old favorites while vacationing in Aruba and then add in at least one new restaurant. After receiving several recommendations from friends and then reading on Trip Advisor, we took our two children and headed out. Setting up our reservation was easy and the greeting was good. The atmosphere is a bit cheesy (we figured the good must be extraordinary given the cheeky decor - but the girls had a good time playing I Spy). The crab cakes seemed to be fried in several day old oil...it was the only thing we could taste. The shrimp cocktail was a smidge over sushi..the only thing worse than overlooked shrimp is undercooked shrimp. My husband and I both had the "fresh" catch of the day...there seemed to be some confusion too...either they ran out of Mahi Mahi or the "fresh catch" was a made up term because we got two different descriptions of the "fresh catch". Either way we elected to have swordfish and wah hoo. Neither were fresh...the portions were extremely small. Actually, I've gotten fresher swordfish at our local Whole Foods. My husband and youngest daughter ended up getting sick...we suspect it was something she ate. (She also had some of my husbands swordfish). To make matters even worse...we waited nearly 45 minutes for a cab ride back. I doubt we will ever give this place a second chance. We should've known when the cab driver asked us three times if we were going to "driftwood".

1 Thank Tara P
Overland Park, Kansas
“Last Night in Aruba”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We chose this restaurant because of some friends that recommended it. It was also near the Bon Bini Festival downtown at the old fort. One of the friends told us to make sure we asked for the special menu, but it was given to us anyway. It has a 3-course special (catch of the day - water to restaurant) for $25 which is a steal compared to other prices in Aruba for dinner. This is an older nautical themed restaurant that has driftwood on the walls (such the name) among other nautical motif. The special was very good, although I don't recommend the fish soup (it had little taste and was watery. I had fried Wahoo which reminded me of a pork filet. Their restrooms are old and not the cleanest. It is local and laid back, but the waiters were very attentive. I will try and review the Bob Bini Festival somewhere else, but it is held every Tuesday and you get a history of Aruba. It is very worthwhile and fun. It is like a mini Carnival.

• Visited April 2014
ct
“always good”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

always very good local food with great service...very consistent and serves alot of local dishes with fresh fish caught by them daily

Edison, New Jersey
“CATCH OF THE DAY!!!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

if it seems when you are driving there that you are lost, YOURE NOT! it is a local, laid-back, kind of place and it is some good eaten!

1 Thank Mark G