“Great meal and great service”

El Gaucho Argentine Grill
Ranked #16 of 233 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: El Gaucho, is a typical Argentine Steakhouse, famous for serving succulent Steaks grilled the Argentinian way. The decor, ambiance and music is rustic and Argentinian in every way. Leather art on the walls, wooden pillars and barrels,cow hide decor and more. The Restaurant is divided in 7 dinning rooms, each decorated to honor a region of Argentina:Mendoza the wine region, the famous Caminito Way, the Pampas fields.The menu is extensive with many choices of beef, poultry and seafood. The sides are included in the price and so are the fresh garlic bread and the 3 home made sauces to acompany your dinner.With over 38 years, serving the best and the biggest steaks, El Gaucho is the oldest established Restaurant on the Island.
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I had heard many recommendations for El Gaucho, so decided to give it a try. What a great restaurant. Went with my wife and son and we each had different entrees. Had the Churrasco Argentino, tenderloin and T Bone. My son claimed that it was the best steak he ever had, and I could not disagree. All three steaks were great and had different tastes and textures. The sides were tasty and not too big. The waiter we had was pleasant and fun. Was always there when we needed him, and kept his distance when we didn't.

Will recommend it to any and everyone.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,248)

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We have had excellent luck over the years using Tripadvisor to select restaurants while traveling. Occasionally, this strategy doesn't work out and when it doesn't, you feel a little silly because you should have heeded the warnings.
El Gaucho is an overpriced, shabby, restaurant managed by money grubbing runts.
We arrived and were greeted by a valet in a sombrero and gaucho outfit. We were seated at our table briskly, and the waiter was quick to serve. We decided to split the 38 ounce Porterhouse that costs $52. The waiter agreed that would be fine and there were three sides included and we ordered a fourth. I ordered an additional side salad which is not included. We specified medium on the steak and confirmed it would be light pink.
While waiting for the dinner we were serenaded by a Spanglish guitar player who sang New York, New York. Now that's FLAIR! I was close to tipping him so he would leave.
The food arrived and the we could see the reason for all the distractions.
The steak arrived as rare as could be, the sides were cold, the mashed potatoes were undercooked, the corn on the cob was birds eye frozen and over cooked at that. The salad appeared to be from the kids menu. The salad bowl was the size of a soap dish.
We aren't complainers, who needs the hassle. We weren't there to save money and 38 ounces of steak is a lot of beef for any one. When the waiter asked if everything is okay, my wife told the waiter it was under cooked. The waiter offered to put it back on the fire but my wife declined as she felt it would dry out the steak. It was too rare for her tastes, add the crappy sides to the equation and she ate nothing. When the waiter brought over the bill, we asked for the manager who came over to the table and listened to my wife tell him the steak was not cooked properly and he responded he could do nothing because we were sharing the steak.
We had gone to Ruth's Chris 3 nights earlier and it was about $200 for a perfectly cooked Porterhouse for two, 2 sides and drinks.
El Gaucho is going to be a little cheaper but they don't know how to cook. They have cafeteria grade food with tourist kitsch.
If you want okay steak with okay prices go to TGI Fridays. If you want a real Steakhouse go to Ruth's Chris.
If you want okay steak with top shelf prices and western style entertainment, seek out El Gaucho, but don't say you weren't warned!

2  Thank cwm032003
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Had read reviews about how good the steak was and could not have been more disappointed. Perhaps I got the wrong cut. (tenderloin) My mother's Porterhouse was delicious and huge! And it should have been for the price. Staff was attentive although my server got all of my side orders wrong. He apologized and offered to correct his mistake. Would I give it another try? I don't know. Enjoyed the picanye(?) at Texas de Brazil much better.

1  Thank DarPhila28
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

When you think about Aruba - think El Gauchos. This place is on the top 10, maybe top 5 places I've been to. Service is excellent. We had a great waiter - and like peter Lugers - id just ask them what to order. Atmosphere is lively - plenty of people - so make reservations. They have a father-son duo walking around singing any song you want (sounds cheesy, but they both are good and fun to talk to). I had the prime rib and my wife had the short ribs - both recommended and both were excellent. All plates come with 3 sides...plantains, and broccoli with garlic were my favorite...but honestly all looked good. Cant wait to go back!!

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Everything was great from the garlic bread to the steaks. Service was also excellent. Steaks come with 3 sides but they are smaller portions than in the US but still plenty of food. Homemade sauces and spicy onions are a great accompaniment.