“Very large portions”

Matthew's Beachside Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 238 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: Casual and chic, Matthew's is renowned as one of the best covered open-air beachfront restaurants in Aruba. Upscale Caribbean, International and seafood dishes are prepared using the freshest ingredients.Besides breakfast, lunch, dinner, we offer all you can eat spareribs on Tuesday's, Karaoke night after dinner party on Wednesdays, Italian night on Thursdays and of course our daily happy hours with live music at the bar on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. If you are a sports fan, you'll be happy to know that there are 3 flat screens at the bar that are always showing your favorite sport.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The food here was good, I thought. Our server was very busy and asked for help. I wish more would do that because I hate I attentive servers. I ordered a kabob of mixed meat. (Filet, chicken, chorizo) I expected it to be small or medium sized and it was HUGE. Enough leftovers for two meals.

1  Thank colemj
Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was optimistic about Matthews given ratings that I had read about the restaurant. The good: the location, view and ambience were magnificent. The happy hour was also great, with great music and excellent non-watered down drinks. Now the bad: the food was horrible. We started with crab cakes as an appetizer (I must disclose that our party is from Maryland, which is known for its great crab cakes). My astute friend noticed immediately that the crab meat was imitation. When we questioned the server, he admitted that it was in fact imitation. How a restaurant located right on the ocean can serve imitation crab meat, is unconscionable. It spoiled the entire experience. They were also burnt. The entrées were no better. The grouper was awful, as was the coconut shrimp. Our entire party of four was completely disappointed. What a waste of an evening on our time-limited vacation.

1  Thank Angela M
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was our third year coming to Aruba. The first two years dinning at Matthews was the best we couldn't wait to show our new comers the beautiful setting and most of all the great food. Well I don't know what or who happen to Matthews but our experience was awful. The service was really bad the food was passable and when we asked for a manager that person was worse! Will not be back. The only thing they have going for them right now is the beautiful setting on the beach.

1  Thank Leslie G
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The atmosphere at Mathew's Beachside was fantastic, You sit overlooking the beach and ocean. The beach is so narrow that you can hear the waves breaking on the beach. We should have arrived about a 1/2 hour earlier to watch the sunset over the ocean but we just couldn't get there in time. The servers were attentive and service was great. Mathews looks like the place you picture in your mind when you think of dining in Aruba, Open air overlooking beach and ocean.

The food was good and not expensive. Just a good meal and beautiful place. I would go back here next time I am in Aruba.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We ate at Matthews Beachside twice on our recent trip to Aruba. We stayed at the Manchebo and it was a quick walk. We had a great dinner there one night. Food was excellent. Setting was fantastic right on the beach... we were lucky and got a table close to the water. Service was great. We went back for breakfast on our last morning on the island and it was nice to sit next to the beach and enjoy the view before we went to the airport. Again, food and service were great and portions were big. Would definitely go back when we return to Aruba.

1  Thank Melissa S