“Fantastic hospitality, spa, bar and golf great, food?”

Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maesycwmmer
Bristol
“Fantastic hospitality, spa, bar and golf great, food?”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

10 golfers on a Golfbreaks.com deal (£85 for dinner b&b and 2x golf rounds). Location, golf, restaurant, rooms and spa excellent. Staff faultless. Breakfast: Great except for lack of smoked salmon and non runny fried egg. Lunch: club sandwiches and chips, fantastic. Dinner: ...well... roast not great, rice pudding not acceptable, but specials were v. good for a £5 supplement. Cheese board lurverly. White wine disapointing, only one type of red available. Golf: challenging, tight, (tip: leave yourself an uphill putt!!). Greens good but sadly we were not informed about closure of front 9 holes due to green maintenacnce on second round in advance, played back 9 twice instead. Offered free buggies as recompense. Thanks but not needed around this course. Overall, 10 blokes, golf, beers, wine, b&b, great company and fantastic Welsh welcome makes it an amazing deal for £85. Many thanks to all the staff in the bars, restaurants and golf reception. Forgetting the closure of greens, if the dinner had been better and guiness available in the spike bar this would have been a 5* review. Even ManC beat ManU 4-1. £85.00 (Sunday pm / Monday am) WOW. Andy

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the 18th green with a balcony. Beautiful views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent golf break with us. The team are always encouraged by good feedback and it’s great to hear that you are being looked after wherever you visit in the Resort. I'm sorry that we let you down in some areas of your stay and the correct information about our pre planned course maintenance week had not been provided to you upon booking. I’m glad that the football score provide you with some comfort. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I took a one night stay spa break at the Bryn Meadows hotel, the room was not the biggest but had a massive super king bed, with balcony overlooking the golf course, lovely bathroom with short bath, excellent shower with a tileTV. The spa facilities were very clean, lovely pool sauna and steam room, excellent massage (thank you Lauren) which was included in the the price of the stay. Very good value break bed and breakfast and treatment for £99. Minus points the bar area is quite small when there is a large party using the function room and the furniture in the bedroom was a little dated and showing signs of wear.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am glad that Lauren was so helpful and she was certainly pleased when I informed of your review. We hope that we can look after you again in the near future. Thank you again. Kind Regards
blackwood
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Chose Leek and Potato soup, I think they forgot the potatoes, watery and greasy. Turkey with stuffing and toast potatoes, carrots and beans. Needed to ask for more turkey as I had just half a slice, this did arrive just in time to finish the main course, stuffing was rock hard, same gravy as guests who had beef. But the bread and butter pudding beggared belief, Not sure what it was, seemed to me to be slices of stale pastry as it didn't look or taste like bread with a chunk or two of apple and custard poured over it, it may have been left over apple pie, definitely not bread and butter pudding. The waitress was apologetic. I think the person preparing the meals needs a basic recipe book or two! If Gavyn reads this he needs to give the management a good talking to (sadly they have a reputation of not giving a damn) and bring the standard up to that of his previous restaurant where the Sunday lunch was one of the best!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not indicative of our normal great comments on standards of food. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of priority. I would also welcome a call from yourself to discuss you coming back as my guest. Kind Regards.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The celebration of a 60th birthday party was spoilt by such appalling food. I have to say it was by far the worst Sunday lunch I can remember having. The roast potatoes were obviously cooked the day before and heated up and probably could've been used to play golf in the resort itself. At £18.95 ahead, how that they think serving this standard of food is acceptable is beyond me and really should come with a full apology to the 25 people who attended the lunch. Obviously, they don't have a proper chef employed there. The service was also shoddy and I will not under any circumstances recommend anybody to go there - I could go on and on about this...

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was somewhat shocked and disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Please be assured your comments were discussed and addressed with my Management team as soon as this review was made. Having taken the time to fully investigate your comments it does seem as though your table was checked on several times throughout the meal and not once was any issue raised during or at the end of the meal by any of your party.
We always strive for excellence although on the small occasions we do make a mistake, we simply ask you tell us at the time, so we can rectify accordingly.
We hope that we will have the opportunity of another visit. Kind Regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have to use at least 200 words so here goes.
Without doubt the worst Sunday lunch I have had anywhere ever!
Poor service and terrible food and at £18.95 a head poor value. Will not be going back and I speak for the 25 other family members who were also there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank originalbartman
We hope that we will have the opportunity of another visit. Kind Regards
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The good bits

Friendly staff.
Breakfast wasn't too bad although busy at times and very fiddly to get hot food!
Lovely view from breakfast table.

The bad bits

Very poor view from room in fact we was staring at a brick wall. Unclean bathroom with serious updates needed e.g grout, bigger bath - to be very honest a child would struggle to relax!
Tv in bathroom didn't work.
Twin beds pushed together with terrible ridge in the middle - partner has back problems asked at reception to just basically be told all the same get on with it. Really really disappointed and spoilt a special anniversary. Won't be returning!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am extremely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your visit. All our rooms differ in size and view and can only apologise that your view was not as grand as some of the others. I understand that a anniversary is a very special occasion and may I offer my sincere apologies for letting you down. I would welcome a call from you if you wish to discuss matters further. Kind Regards
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Spent the day here with a friend on a day spa,1 hours massage included. I know this place was updated a few years ago but its in need of a freshen up, just being fussy but things like paint flaking off the men's changing room door, grime gathering around the hot tub that could easily be removed with a good scrub, just seems lazy. The steam room was also not working. I have been here before and there's always something not working. The pool area was really busy so not enough loungers. I suppose as long as the business keeps coming in why would they change anything?

Ill be going to the Celtic next time, much nicer ;)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to the standard of cleanliness and maintenance during your stay. We have a friendly and helpful team that would have been more than happy to help if only you had given us the opportunity with the issues you have raised. We hope that we will have the opportunity of another visit.
Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maesycwmmer
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
#3 of 73 in Cardiff
Llechwen Hall Hotel
Llechwen Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Pontypridd

Been to Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!