“Spa Break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maesycwmmer
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Spa Break”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I took a one night stay spa break at the Bryn Meadows hotel, the room was not the biggest but had a massive super king bed, with balcony overlooking the golf course, lovely bathroom with short bath, excellent shower with a tileTV. The spa facilities were very clean, lovely pool sauna and steam room, excellent massage (thank you Lauren) which was included in the the price of the stay. Very good value break bed and breakfast and treatment for £99. Minus points the bar area is quite small when there is a large party using the function room and the furniture in the bedroom was a little dated and showing signs of wear.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am glad that Lauren was so helpful and she was certainly pleased when I informed of your review. We hope that we can look after you again in the near future. Thank you again. Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
blackwood
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Chose Leek and Potato soup, I think they forgot the potatoes, watery and greasy. Turkey with stuffing and toast potatoes, carrots and beans. Needed to ask for more turkey as I had just half a slice, this did arrive just in time to finish the main course, stuffing was rock hard, same gravy as guests who had beef. But the bread and butter pudding beggared belief, Not sure what it was, seemed to me to be slices of stale pastry as it didn't look or taste like bread with a chunk or two of apple and custard poured over it, it may have been left over apple pie, definitely not bread and butter pudding. The waitress was apologetic. I think the person preparing the meals needs a basic recipe book or two! If Gavyn reads this he needs to give the management a good talking to (sadly they have a reputation of not giving a damn) and bring the standard up to that of his previous restaurant where the Sunday lunch was one of the best!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not indicative of our normal great comments on standards of food. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of priority. I would also welcome a call from yourself to discuss you coming back as my guest. Kind Regards.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The celebration of a 60th birthday party was spoilt by such appalling food. I have to say it was by far the worst Sunday lunch I can remember having. The roast potatoes were obviously cooked the day before and heated up and probably could've been used to play golf in the resort itself. At £18.95 ahead, how that they think serving this standard of food is acceptable is beyond me and really should come with a full apology to the 25 people who attended the lunch. Obviously, they don't have a proper chef employed there. The service was also shoddy and I will not under any circumstances recommend anybody to go there - I could go on and on about this...

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was somewhat shocked and disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Please be assured your comments were discussed and addressed with my Management team as soon as this review was made. Having taken the time to fully investigate your comments it does seem as though your table was checked on several times throughout the meal and not once was any issue raised during or at the end of the meal by any of your party.
We always strive for excellence although on the small occasions we do make a mistake, we simply ask you tell us at the time, so we can rectify accordingly.
We hope that we will have the opportunity of another visit. Kind Regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have to use at least 200 words so here goes.
Without doubt the worst Sunday lunch I have had anywhere ever!
Poor service and terrible food and at £18.95 a head poor value. Will not be going back and I speak for the 25 other family members who were also there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank originalbartman
We hope that we will have the opportunity of another visit. Kind Regards
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The good bits

Friendly staff.
Breakfast wasn't too bad although busy at times and very fiddly to get hot food!
Lovely view from breakfast table.

The bad bits

Very poor view from room in fact we was staring at a brick wall. Unclean bathroom with serious updates needed e.g grout, bigger bath - to be very honest a child would struggle to relax!
Tv in bathroom didn't work.
Twin beds pushed together with terrible ridge in the middle - partner has back problems asked at reception to just basically be told all the same get on with it. Really really disappointed and spoilt a special anniversary. Won't be returning!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am extremely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your visit. All our rooms differ in size and view and can only apologise that your view was not as grand as some of the others. I understand that a anniversary is a very special occasion and may I offer my sincere apologies for letting you down. I would welcome a call from you if you wish to discuss matters further. Kind Regards
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Spent the day here with a friend on a day spa,1 hours massage included. I know this place was updated a few years ago but its in need of a freshen up, just being fussy but things like paint flaking off the men's changing room door, grime gathering around the hot tub that could easily be removed with a good scrub, just seems lazy. The steam room was also not working. I have been here before and there's always something not working. The pool area was really busy so not enough loungers. I suppose as long as the business keeps coming in why would they change anything?

Ill be going to the Celtic next time, much nicer ;)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to the standard of cleanliness and maintenance during your stay. We have a friendly and helpful team that would have been more than happy to help if only you had given us the opportunity with the issues you have raised. We hope that we will have the opportunity of another visit.
Kind Regards
Blackwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I did actually email the hotel direct this very review but they seem unable to answet emails
I am writing to let you know i was really quite unhappy with our experience on saturday evening at your hotel. I live local and my mother had booked a junior suite as a treat as we got married that day. It was not such a problem my room was not ready when i went to check in but the lady on reception took our bag and assured me our bag would be in our room on our arrival late that evening.
When we arrived the night porter was unsure what room we were to have and we stood around for quite some time till he found our room and our bag.
The air con in our room was deafening so had to be turned off in order for me to sleep.The bath was so small even myself being just over 5 ft tall i found relaxing very difficult in it and if i wanted to watch the tv in there i couldnt as there was no way to controll it.
After my bath i did go out on the balcony to take in the view only to stand on loose broken brickwork right by the door and lost my footing. This could be dangerous for a younger or older guest.Breakfast setting was lovely and selection was good but the cooked part was not the best set up it felt rather like a works canteen rather than a nice hotel and spa. We were also sat under a fan which sounded quite unhealthy squeeking and swaying quite badly.It is a shame really as the climax to my wonderful day turned out to be quite an anti climax.
Shame as i have a big bithday in november and had discussed with some friends booking a spa break but i will now be booking elsewhere.We were staying in room 217 and i must say i have stayed in much nicer rooms at a lot lower price in fact 6 rooms were booked in a local premier inn at £52 a night for family and they were so much nicer ... dont waste your money

• Stayed September 2013
gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I was most disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team as a matter of priority and I would welcome a call from as I have had no email to date with the issues detailed above.
Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maesycwmmer
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Novotel Cardiff Centre
#11 of 73 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,057 reviews

Been to Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!