“WOW!!!!”

Ocean Inn
Manchester UK
“WOW!!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2009

This place is great....Just been for a week with my lady.

Simply stunning location, super friendly staff. If you want to be left alone for a quiet peacefull time. We may have been lucky as was not to busy. We had the pool to ourself for days. Rooms are great for the price. Cleaned daily. Jet powered air con. Fridge TV, mozzy net and quaint....I stayed in a cottage.with a stunning veiw..Breakfast is fresh and a good choice.
The pool is clean and great for a dip in this sun trap. And the 'trust' bar is well stocked...i even got the 'margerita's ' on!!

I have been all over the island, and would say english harbout is the place to be...especialy if you cant stand 'resorts'. Staying here your within walkng distance to all the resturants ...2 lovely marinas full off stunning views, history and culture. You can jump on a number 17 bus ...and your 30 mins over the island to St' Johns...Taxis are everywhere...

You can hire transport in the marina...we had a renagde jeep with some friends we met....and drove round the island ...Get yourselves to 'Half moon bay'....stunning...
Or nip to the nearby mountains....great bits of rainforest. Shirly heights is nice...great views.....but if you want quiet do not go on a Sunday evening....its like a cattle yard....with all the resorts bussing people in for the sunday BBQ....

there are some great walks with bits of ruins here and there from the old colonial days....all round english harbour..3 beaches...Pidgeon, Windward , and Galleon....all quite different and all worth a anfternoon..

But without a beautifull quiet base to work from like 'The Ocean Inn' you may find it different...but if i one day return to Antigua I know where i going and its here..
I even asked my lady to marry me here. It is for you ...if you are laid back ...want no hasle..do not want to be waited on hand and foot.

So would thank all involved at this establishment....and keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
princeton
Reviewed April 7, 2009

The Ocean Inn is a 30 minute ride from the airport, but well worth it. The room was comfortable though not luxurious and the view out of our balcony windows/doors was so beautiful, we didn't want to stop looking. Their buffet type breaikfast had variety and was very satisfying and the tables were placed so that once again the views were spectacular. The staff was pleasant and helpful. It was an easy walk down to the small English Harbour town where there is a variety of restaurants. Places of interest and history were the Nelson Dockyards and Shirley Heights - both of which we walked to (though the walk up to Shirley Heights is a long one and uphill). A beautiful area.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My wife and I and our friends stayed at the Ocean Inn for three nights prior to entering our rented villa. We had cottages 8 and 9, both had wonderful views of English Harbor. Both cottages had king/twin beds, a small refrigerator, desk, and showed bathroom. Breakfast is also included with the rooms.

The inn has a nice sized pool and patio area that overlooks the harbor. It has a honors bar for beers and cocktails which is a nice touch. Shopping, restaurants, Nelson’s Dockyard, and Falmouth marina are just a short walk from the inn.

The inn is a real value but the staff makes it well worth your money. They did everything we asked. They suggested several local restaurants and made reservations for us. All their suggestions were outstanding.

Our favorite restaurant was Abracadabra. The food was excellent and so was the staff. We ate there twice during our 10 day stay. Try their antipasti and the lobster. Another treat is the Red Octopus. Murphy owns and cooks fresh local seafood. The Mad Mongoose is a fun place for a couple of beers and a meal plus Wifi connection. If you have a car, Harmony House has great food and an art gallery to boot.

The Ocean Inn and their staff got us in the laid back mood to enjoy our entire stay on the wonderful island of Antigua. I highly recommend it.

1 Thank fig_mar
Kent, UK
Reviewed July 20, 2008

The people who wrote poor reviews here really as someone else said really have some life issues! Certainly in the UK I would defy anyone at this price to get the views and the ambience you get here for what you pay. If you want true luxury then this is not the place, if you want a beautiful location, a fabulous view with a pool and a really clean place and the nicest owners and staff I think Ive ever met of a B and B, then you will love it.

We went with my 10 year old son and his grandad and had two cottages (by the way, the person who moaned about wanting only number 8--we had number 8 and number 9 and I think number 9 was slighly nicer)

The pool area is fab, the honesty bar works really well and the bonus of fresh coffee and cakes every afternoon laid out on the terrace is a nice touch. We also had a family barbecue when we were there which we were invited to and that was excellent. Air conditioning and plumbing were fine, I did get badly bitten but it was pretty humid in general.

My son was very taken with Eustaces lovely daughter and their gorgeous little dog-even now hes still in mourning for Mike the dog.

Our only downer was not related to the property but to English Harbour as we went in late June/early july and whilst we knew it was out of season (and hence why the flights were reasonable) I hadnt expected quite so much to be shut in terms of bars and restauarants--still it did mean we got good service at the places that were open. If we go again , I would go more in season as I like a bit more of a vibe at night, but for anyone not that bothered about that it makes a well priced holiday in the summer.

I think Americans may find eating out quite pricey but for Europeans or from the UK, its about the same as home, its not as cheap as the USA but in all honesty apart from the big cities Ive never eaten this well in the USA.

Places we liked were The Gallery (lovely friendly owner and excellent food), HQ (pretty pricey! but excellent food again-although I felt a bit overpriced) Havana if you want a cheap and very well cooked steak or something simple and Life, very friendly staff and reasonable good food. Away from english harbour we liked the Redcliffe Quay area in St Johns , Long Bay (gorgeous beach and lovely friendly Long Bay Beach Bar with excellent lunch snacks) also the Coconut Beach at the Siboney Bay hotel in Dickenson Bay-best fish burger Ive ever had!

Love to Annie, Eustace, Reyna and Mike the dog-we miss you

• Liked — The views and the owners
  • Disliked — Bit more wardrobe space
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank EsotericKent_UK
buffalo
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I contacted the ocean inn in October of 2007 to reserve cottage #8 for a week in April of 2008. I was e-mail a confirmation by the owner Eustace stating that we had cottage #8 reserved for the week. Later on in April, my husband and I decided to rent a car, and I wanted to be sure that there would be parking available. I contacted Eustace by phone. He was surprised that we would be staying with him. He did not have a reservation for us. He then e-mailed me and stated that we were all set. I asked if he had us reserved for cottage #8. I read many reviews and each one stated that this was the best cottage. Eustace would not confirm the room number. I decided to check trip advisor. If you read the other comments on the ocean inn, you will see that many reservations were not ready or available when the customer arrived at the Ocean Inn. I decided to contact Eustace one more time and get a guarantee of our room. He would not guarantee anything. He told me that it didn't matter what room he put me in. He used an airplane as an analogy, stating that it doesn't matter what seat you get put on a plane, it doesn't matter what room he puts us in. I than canceled my reservation. He would not give us our deposit back.
I say it is the luck of the draw. If you want to definitely have the room you reserved and have it available when you stay there, do not go to Ocean inn. Eustace was very nasty. We ended up staying at the Catamaran Hotel and it was perfect in every way. It is in the same neighborhood as the ocean inn but it is on the beach. The staff does everything possible to make you feel at home.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank efarley
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I just spent three nights at the Ocean Inn on Antigua and was very pleased with the accommodation. This is really a great little Inn within walking distance to everything and with fabulous views of the harbor. The owners and staff are extremely friendly and my stay was very enjoyable. I stayed in a view room (#6) which was very nice with some view of the water but right next to the dining area and bar so it wasn't very private. The cottages are a bit rustic but more private and with very good views. I would probably stay in a cottage next visit. There are a couple of smaller rooms with no view but they are a good value at $95 per night with great views from the covered porch/dining area just steps away. There are also a couple of view rooms with a shared bath which I didn't get to see. The view rooms and cottages are approximately $120-$150 per night. A continental breakfast is served on the porch overlooking the harbour and is a great place to meet other travelers. Wireless Internet is free and you couldn't find a better setting to sit, relax, and talk to your family back home.

I had read some unfavorable reviews about this Inn in Tripadvisor mainly to do with overbooking and reserved rooms not being available. They still have a problem with their reservation system and my room wasn't available so they put me up at the Admirals Inn down the street. It was late and I wasn't happy about this but they did pay for my room. The next day a couple came in and had the same problem and were not able to get into their cottage for two days although they gave them a small room for two nights. I talked to Eustace, the owner, and he assured me they are working on this problem and will pay closer attention to their bookings so this won't happen again. I would recommend confirming and reconfirming your reservation and being very specific about the nights reserved to try prevent this problem.

I would recommend this as a very good place to stay on Antigua!

• Liked — Views, proximity to town, friendly staff
  • Disliked — overbooking
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Marytc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2008

Ocean is a fantastic find and as other reviewers have mentioned a great little secret. The location is fantastic with views of English harbor to die for. The place is basic without a doubt but works really well. The location is fantstic about 5 minuts from the action but very private. Worth mentioning not really great for older people or young families with a buggy as there is a steep hill to walk up at the end of the evening. Beware of th dog of th next door neighbours!!!! Only downside would be the breakfast which was a bit pathetic, but then for the price what do you expect. There is a very relaxed feel to the place and i wouldn't hesitate in going back. At some point a face lift and update of the rooms would make this place truly unbelievable but for the moment go and enjoy the location. English harbour is excellent try out HQ's restaurant and get the water taxi to Galleon Beach, brilliant.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RichWandsworth
The Inn at English Harbour
The Inn at English Harbour
#2 of 4 in English Harbour
The Copper and Lumber Store Historic Inn
The Copper and Lumber Store Hist...
#4 of 4 in English Harbour
South Point Antigua
South Point Antigua
#1 of 4 in English Harbour
St. James's Club & Villas

Been to Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!