“fantastic ride in the Caribbean sea”

Springhill Riding Club
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We met the fun and lovely owner Julie at the brilliant Cloggies bar run by the encouragable Ton and whist chatting to Julie discovered that she ran the Antiguan Riding Club at Springhill Riding Center. Plans were made to meet with her for a beach ride and a swim and as promised we met Julie at Springhill. the school has a rustic charm and first impressions were that here was an animal lover who had a passion for horses, which is reflected in the way the horses are looked after.

Once she had assessed are abilities ( we were a group of four with two experienced riders and two less so ) we set off to the beach on bare-back.

Her horses are not the typical riding school types of follow my leader and gave the novices confidence and the experienced a feeling of riding them.

Following her expert instruction and guidance we set off towards the sea, which feels very strange for the first time and with a little encouragement the horses were swimming and we were up to our waists ! The horses will happily go for a swim and will let you know when they want to go back to the beach, so no fear of ending up in Barbuda !

It was a magical experience and one we will definitely be coming back for.

For anyone thinking of riding in Antigua this place is a must. Julie and her horses will make it a memorable experience.

Martin and Wendy , Dorset. UK

9  Thank Martin P

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We met the lovely owner Julie at Cloggies Bar, Falmouth Harbour ( great night out as ever with the encouragable owner Ton ) and as she is such a lovely personality ended up chatting to her, only to discover she was the manager of Springhill. Arrangements were made to meet her for a ride that would end up with us riding her horses whilst they swam in the Caribbean ! The four of us were of mixed ability with two regular riders and two with less experience.

With great tuition , patience and encouragement we rode the horses down to the sea and before we knew it we were on the backs of swimming horses . Absolutely magical and unforgettable experience that was the highlight of our stay in Antigua.

Julie is clearly an animal lover which is reflected in the way she manages her stables, rustic in nature but the horses are well looked after, fit and healthy and enjoyed their swim as much as we did. The horses we had were not 'follow my leader' typical riding school types but gave novices confidence and experienced riders a feeling of been out for a 'proper' ride.

Take a set of clothes and shoes you don't mind getting wet and away you go. We went the bareback route which really put you in touch ( literally ! ) with your horse.

We will defiantly be back again.

Martin and Wendy Pate, Dorset . UK

1  Thank martin p
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I spent a long time reviewing the internet to be sure I found the right riding stable and I definitely did with SpringHill. My husband and I went on a one hour ride for beginners and then I went back on my own for the 2 hour ride to Rendez Vous Bay. Both rides were great fun and with beautiful views, Rendez Vous Bay was amazing with no one else on the beach except the 4 horses and then the dip in the sea with them just finished off the perfect ride. The horses are very well looked after and well schooled and you can see that this is a life for Julie and not a job which reflects in how the stables are run. When we are next in Antigua I will definitely be booking some more rides!

3  Thank LisaM15
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My friend and I did the Rendezvous ride with Julie and we just LOVED it. Julie was very pleasent and fun to ride with. The ride itself was through a lush area of greenery to the top of a little bluff overlooking a secluded beach. (premium picture taking) and then we opened up to the beach and were able to canter along the waters edge. The horses were delightful and I loved riding Bilbo (my horses name). The horses didnt feel like typical bored trail horses that just trudge along. They were spry and a pleasure to ride. I highly suggest booking an appt early as Julie is busy and books up quickly. She also offers lessons, so if you are looking to brush up on your skills she has a nice arena for practice! We rode on our last day and I am kicking myself for not booking sooner as I would have loved to do the ride twice!!! It was that enjoyable.

3  Thank ingrid j
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This riding club, also known as Antigua Equestrian Centre is s not for profit facility that uses the income generated from tourist rides to run the stables and provide free or low cost riding lessons to local children.

The horses are in excellent shape and are well cared for by Julie and her team. We had the one hour ride that took us through fields, treed areas, some hills and into the ocean along the beach. We didn't swim but did have the horses up to their knees.

We would go back and highly recommend this facility which is non typical for Caribbean ride facilities.