“Extreme Marine superb for Advanced Open Water Course” 5 of 5 bubbles

Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Warwickshire UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Extreme Marine superb for Advanced Open Water Course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I did my PADI Advanced Open Water Course with Extreme Marine in June 2013. It was most enjoyable and very smooth. Don was very friendly and welcoming and flexibly accomodated my schedule and needs. I did the eLearning with PADI and the 5 dives with Extreme Marine, who even reduced the course cost by the $130 I paid PADI for the online course - great value!

The 5 dives were fitted in on two days only which was a bonus since I had to drive approx 30mins each way from my resort on the NE side of the island (Verandah) to reach Extreme Marine. I did Deep Diving, Peak Perf Buoyancy and Underwater Navigation. Only dissappointment was there were no wrecks shallow enough to do the Wreck Diving.

The quality of the equipment rental was very good with a top of the range Cressi BCD and Scubapro split fins.

The dive sites around Antigua are not the best but fine for training purposes, although I did see a turtle and several lobster.

Thoroughly recommended!

Visited June 2013

Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Better weather next time...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I dove with Don on Monday, June 3rd. Don came and picked us up from Jolly Harbour, drove us back to his shop, got all paperwork done, made sure the gear fit well, and we were on our way. Don is extremely laid back, easy to talk to, and very knowledgable. Unfortunately for us, the open water had 3-4 ft swells, it started raining, and that combined for my seasickness and very poor visability during the dive. We dove Pillars of Hercules as an easy first dive (it had been three years since my hubby and I last dove). All of these things led to a less than desirable dive experience (but obviously NOTHING that Don had any control over). We had been spoiled in our last couple dive trips (Belize and Fiji) with perfect dive conditions and terrific reefs. Don and his dive operation are top notch, and he will do all in his power to give you a great dive. Because of the sea swells, he looked ahead to the weather for the rest of the week and saw that it probably wasn't going to get any better. He wanted to make sure we fully understood what kind of conditions we would be facing. We decided not to dive anymore (but mainly b/c the rest of our group was not diving and we wanted to hang out with them), and Don was very gracious about our decision.

Please consider using Extreme Marine when in Antigua. You won't be disappointed.

Visited June 2013
extrememarine, Owner at Extreme Marine Scuba LTD - Scuba Diving and more, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi you two,

I am really glad you gave a review as I knew you might not have had the ideal Caribbean dive trip so your kind words about us, in particular, really mean a lot. Your review is especially important to me because you are such nice people that even after feeling ill you took the time to heap praise on myself and my company. I have to say that it is people like you that we work so hard to keep things nice for,

We didn't feel put out at all when you chose not to dive as much as originally planned. The most important thing for us is that you had a good time in Antigua. I really hope you did have a good time and hope I can take you out on a trip again someday. It was a pleasure to meet you both.
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great overall scuba experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I recently dove with Don during our Antigua vacation. We called the office to schedule a two tank dive, Don was very accommodating as far as scheduling the dive. The process was very simple, show up, pay, show your c-card, grab some gear, and we were on the boat less than 5 minutes after arrival. His boat is great for dive trips, large and comfortable. The two dive sites were a short boat ride from the marina. The actual diving was about average for the Caribbean, as I expected. Don was very helpful, safe and knowledgeable, also very friendly and laid back. Overall a great experience.

Visited May 2013
Hi Guys.

Thank for taking the time to give us a review we are really glad you had a good time. It was a pleasure for us to meet and dive with you and really hope we can all go and do it again soon.

Thanks again for choosing us we know how important holiday time is and we are really grateful you chose to spend some of yours with us.

Don
English Harbour, Antigua
“Excellent Scuba centre in Antigua”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Highly recommended. Don is very knowledgable and patient and fully aware that the experience is for enjoyment as well as education.

Visited May 2013
Hey Tim

Thanks so much for your kind words. It was a real pleasure to meet you and teaching you to dive was a real blast. Really looking forward to seeing you guys again soon. PS - loved the fruit cake please bring more ...lol
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“As luck would have it...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Bad news, our resort's dive operation was full teaching Padi. GOOD news, they gave us Don's pamphlet. Called Don, and ended up doing two great days of diving with him. My wife really enjoyed the big boat, especially the head and a place to get changed. Don is a great dive master. He has the right temperment; calm, patient, congenial, and humorous. But most of all is a great dive master, knows his dive sites, and points out all the specials. He even took videos of one dive. His shop's equipment is in good shape and Don takes the time to ensure everthing fits just right. One other thing, the English harbor area has great dive sites. We had just finished 8 days of diving in Dominica. Don took us to sites that were comparable (minus the Lion fish :)). We are stopping in Antigua again next winter. No need for pamphlets. We will be diving with Don, and staying in English harbour this time. It is an amazing place and Extreme Diving and Don are part of it!!!!
One last shout out; hopefully you get to meet Garp (???), an Australian yachtee. He drove us back and forth and worked the deck of the dive boat. He is a great ambassador for the island, and the yachting that is a major part of it. Forgot to mention, Don had us picked up and dropped off each day from our resort on the other side of the island.

Visited February 2013
extrememarine, Owner at Extreme Marine Scuba LTD - Scuba Diving and more, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
I gotta say the luck was on our side. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and we really hope to see you again soon. We hope you had a great time here in Antigua and wish you all the best in the year to come.

Thanks again for your good luck rubbing off.