Booking on line: easy, updates to booking confirmations received with no issue.
Arrival: offered drink and though booking update was not received by reception they were able to accommodate me and did so with no problem.
Food: Took just over 50 mins to get breakfast on the first day of my holiday, this did put me in a bad mood. The restaurant was not full for breakfast & though staff were polite and apologetic just thought this was too long for a omelette. As I was only there for a short time I did not eat in the restaurant esp. as there was no local food on the menu.
Bar: Good range of drinks and very knowledgeable barman (Thanks for my special Rum Punch Reggie!) who was doing everything from mixing cocktails to making Irish Coffees to advising on particular drinks and could mix anything you wanted if he had it. There should be some bar snacks to compliment the cocktails, wines & spirits. Would come back just to sit at this bar.
Room: Clean, tidy with air conditioning as well as fan, bathroom was spotless and towels clean. This room was as expected and enough space to store cases etc. whilst I had no view it was peaceful, clean with fresh ice every day. The pictures of local areas were very pretty and added to the room. The corridor and staircase gave a lovely feel of the previous use of the building and being able to sit and look out into the old dock yard from the first floor is a nice touch. Do note that due to the floors being wooden you can hear people talking from the above rooms though this is not intrusive or distracting.
Misc: Wifi is strongest in the reception area, it is a bit hit and miss on the 1st floor. Staff are so helpful and put you at ease, have to say Cecil & Reggie really made my stay would go back just to say Hi to them both! Any question I had, I posed to reception and they were able to help or advise. As a single traveller this was important for me & I felt safe in and around the hotel and its grounds.
Thought not a sailing person was so good to look over the history of the Dockyard and the Inn is perfectly placed to do so - you do not have to pay the entrance fee into the conservation area if you are staying at the Admiral's Inn. The calm and beautiful view from the restaurant is something to savour. The lovely little near by beach (Pigeon Beach) is great for sunsets and calm water the be prepared for the walk up and down hill, it will get you ready for a swim.
Overall I would stay here again, the receptionist did mention that they were in the process of adding more to the customer experience so for my first visit to Antigua I would recommend this hotel as its a good base to getting any place on the island, by boat or by road. The staff make this place work, plus it is very pretty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A charming, historic boutique hotel set in a secluded section of 18th century Nelson's Dockyard, offering casual elegance and friendly, personal service, provides the perfect backdrop for relaxation, romance, special events and being active if you choose.The 23 rooms and suites are housed in 4 historic buildings on the waterfront and a headland 100 yards across the bay. The hotel offers a small non-swimming beach, spectacular infinity edged pool, a spa and two excellent open-air restaurants, Pillars and Boom. There is a complimentary boat shuttle to the swimming beach in Freeman's Bay and kayaks to explore the harbour. The perfect hotel for relaxing in peace and quiet or for finding plenty of activities (sailing, scuba diving, hiking, snorkeling, yoga) and fun (several restaurants and nightlife) only 5 - 10 minutes away. A great spot for honeymoons and weddings for 2 to 200. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Admiral's Inn & Gunpowder Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Admiral`s Hotel Nelson`s Dockyard National Park
- Admiral's Inn & Gunpowder Suites Antigua/English Harbour